New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    As a chocolate lover, I was thrilled to find this bar. It’s the first time I’ve seen ruby chocolate in the US, let alone in a regular (slightly “fancy”) grocery store.

hpuewqjka5c4.jpeg

How does the ruby chocolate taste different from regular chocolate ? I keep seeing it on social media.

Supposedly it doesn't taste like regular chocolate at all. I've read people who say it has a sweet and sour berry flavor, but I'm prepared for the possibility that it may just be a fad that doesn't live up to expectations. We'll try it this evening and report back!

My husband and I were split on the ruby chocolate bar. I think it may come down to how you feel about white chocolate. I do not like most white chocolate and I thought it was just okay. It was creamy and tangy with a hint of berry flavor. I wouldn't seek it out again, but would probably eat a little if I was in the right mood.

My husband loves white chocolate and loved the ruby chocolate. He said it tasted like a strawberry milkshake, but did not think it tasted like white chocolate. He was VERY excited about it and would love to eat it again.

We both agreed that it didn't taste anything like regular chocolate.

On our chocolate ratings spreadsheet (yes, we have one), it got a 6 from me. My husband struggled to give it a rating because it was so different from anything else, but settled on 8-9.

How much do I love that you and your husband have a chocolate ratings spreadsheet?

I've never heard of ruby chocolate, but I love white chocolate so now I'm interested in trying it.

The spreadsheet was started from necessity. We tried so many different chocolate bars that we couldn't remember which ones we liked best :) Our favorites are usually somewhere in the 40-60% range, and a lot of Tony's Chocolonely bars have consistently scored well.

I found the Chocolove ruby bar at Nob Hill/Raley's (a grocery store chain mostly in California), but their Facebook page lists some other stores that should carry it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

As a chocolate lover, I was thrilled to find this bar. It’s the first time I’ve seen ruby chocolate in the US, let alone in a regular (slightly “fancy”) grocery store.

hpuewqjka5c4.jpeg

How does the ruby chocolate taste different from regular chocolate ? I keep seeing it on social media.

Supposedly it doesn't taste like regular chocolate at all. I've read people who say it has a sweet and sour berry flavor, but I'm prepared for the possibility that it may just be a fad that doesn't live up to expectations. We'll try it this evening and report back!

My husband and I were split on the ruby chocolate bar. I think it may come down to how you feel about white chocolate. I do not like most white chocolate and I thought it was just okay. It was creamy and tangy with a hint of berry flavor. I wouldn't seek it out again, but would probably eat a little if I was in the right mood.

My husband loves white chocolate and loved the ruby chocolate. He said it tasted like a strawberry milkshake, but did not think it tasted like white chocolate. He was VERY excited about it and would love to eat it again.

On our chocolate ratings spreadsheet (yes, we have one), it got a 6 from me. My husband struggled to give it a rating because it was so different from anything else, but settled on 8-9.

Thanks for the review. It sounds interesting and I want to try just because I am so curious, lol. I LOVE white chocolate, maybe even more than regular chocolate, so I bet I would really like this.

@hgycta I had remembered you tried the kit kat one and weren't that crazy about it! I didn't realize it was a completely different "bean" and not chocolate. When I first heard people posting about the ruby chocolate, I thought it was just regular chocolate, but pink.
  • apullum
    Options

hpuewqjka5c4.jpeg

Thanks for the review. It sounds interesting and I want to try just because I am so curious, lol. I LOVE white chocolate, maybe even more than regular chocolate, so I bet I would really like this.

@hgycta I had remembered you tried the kit kat one and weren't that crazy about it! I didn't realize it was a completely different "bean" and not chocolate. When I first heard people posting about the ruby chocolate, I thought it was just regular chocolate, but pink.

There's some speculation about how ruby chocolate is made, since the creator isn't telling, but the best guess I've heard is that it's made with unfermented cacao beans instead of fermented beans like regular chocolate uses. It's not technically white chocolate, but that's the closest comparison for me in terms of taste.

If you like white chocolate and want something different, I do enjoy the caramelized white bars. Folks have already mentioned Hershey's Gold; Valrhona Dulcey is a more expensive/higher quality option.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

hpuewqjka5c4.jpeg

There's some speculation about how ruby chocolate is made, since the creator isn't telling, but the best guess I've heard is that it's made with unfermented cacao beans instead of fermented beans like regular chocolate uses. It's not technically white chocolate, but that's the closest comparison for me in terms of taste.

If you like white chocolate and want something different, I do enjoy the caramelized white bars. Folks have already mentioned Hershey's Gold; Valrhona Dulcey is a more expensive/higher quality option.

My kids love white chocolate and I got them some Valrhona Dulcey one year for Christmas. They positively *swooned* over the stuff. They're not crazy over nuts so haven't even tried the Hershey's Gold.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    yvfn2czprf59.png
    I HATE when my favorite brands change their formulas. :'( The "new recipe" better be just as good. If anyone happens to try before I do, please let us know if it tastes the same. I really hope they didn't screw up what was great like so many companies do. Butterfingers are my favorite candy bar, lol.

I wonder how long this has been in effect, because around Christmas time I bought some butterfingers because they were also my favorite but I didn’t care about them as much, I actually gave them away! Not as sweet and peanut butter-y as I remember... :(
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    @hgycta Oh no! I think it has been since then because I saw on all their social media pages tons of mad comments from people going back to december :(

I remember some people mentioned they wanted to try EVOL foods but that they were expensive. I messaged them and asked if they had any coupons and they sent me some. Lily's chocolates also send me some coupons. Just a heads up in case any of you guys want to write them!

98157w1dv4uz.jpg
    twbtdzpby3fu.jpg
  • apullum
    Options
    When I bought the ruby chocolate bar, I also bought this one:

c9g24azykrey.jpg

I liked this one. I don't usually love filled chocolates, but as far as filled chocolates go, I thought this one was good. The strawberry filling is sort of like jam, but not very sweet. It was a nice compliment to the chocolate, which at 55% is dark but not too dark. I could tell that the filling was made of real strawberries, not artificial strawberry flavor. It earned a 7 from me.

My husband didn't like it. He thought the chocolate was nice but the filling was sour, and rated it a 5.
  • Lattesweet
    Lattesweet Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @hgycta Oh no! I think it has been since then because I saw on all their social media pages tons of mad comments from people going back to december :(

I remember some people mentioned they wanted to try EVOL foods but that they were expensive. I messaged them and asked if they had any coupons and they sent me some. Lily's chocolates also send me some coupons. Just a heads up in case any of you guys want to write them!

98157w1dv4uz.jpg
    twbtdzpby3fu.jpg

I’ve always wanted to try out Lily’s chocolate! That coupon would’ve appreciated :)
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,510 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    Has anyone tried nut pods? What’s the verdict

I love them and I like my coffee creamy and sweet.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited February 2019
    Options
    n94ggq2bmu41.jpg
    so49rxxt8otr.jpg
    lqsqo558le68.jpg

Tried the new chocolate caramel mojo bars! I don't even see any reviews of these anywhere yet! I don't think they are out in stores. I wish I bought some of the savory flavors to try, but I have never been a savory bar fan. I tried one of the savory kind bars before and didn't like it much.

The clif mojo and peanut butter pretzel are pretty high on my list of all time favorite granola/snack bars so I had high hopes for these. I noticed the ingredients are different on these though because they have pea protein so I was worried since I usually hate pea protein.

Loved them! The texture is the same chewy with a crunch as the other mojos. It didn't have as many chocolate chips as the other mojos. Excellent caramel flavor! Very nice "buttery salted caramel". Reminded me of caramel corn. I didn't notice the pea protein at all. I would call this flavor buttery caramel corn instead of salted caramel with chocolate. (Really lacking in the chocolate department!) The mountain mix is still my favorite though.

@miriamkotku I just emailed the company and said I would like to try their chocolates but they are so expensive so I have been sticking to the cheaper brands. I would love to try, but don't want to pay so much if I don't end up liking and if they have any coupons to offset the costs. :smiley:

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    yvfn2czprf59.png
    I HATE when my favorite brands change their formulas. :'( The "new recipe" better be just as good. If anyone happens to try before I do, please let us know if it tastes the same. I really hope they didn't screw up what was great like so many companies do. Butterfingers are my favorite candy bar, lol.

All the reviews say it is terrible and tastes completely different now.

Well that's really disappointing. Butterfinger was my favorite too.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    yvfn2czprf59.png

All the reviews say it is terrible and tastes completely different now.

Why fix it if it ain't broken? That bugs me,butterfingers are a classic! Defo want to try that pink chocolate too
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    at1j0w274ol0.jpg

Oooooooooh.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    at1j0w274ol0.jpg

i just saw this cant wait
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    at1j0w274ol0.jpg

I’m not an ice cream bar person, I’ve always been more of one for ice cream sandwiches... if they came out with a chocolate sandwich novelty treat I would be in heaven! I grew up on those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches o: