All those asking and answeing questions

Options
12346»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You want to be coddled or do you want the cold hard truth and actually make gains towards your goal(s)

/thread

sadly about 90% of people on here want to be coddled and told that what they are doing is right, and we should just be 100% supportive of clean eating, cleanses, water fasts, sugar is bad, etc, etc, etc...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    it's fine for people to disagree and try and stop someone from an unhealthy diet plan, but i've seen people get nit picky over such unimportant things where i can only conclude that they are trolling. there is nothing helpful about these posts. there's a difference.

only read the o.p. and still need to read the entire thread, so not sure what was said about this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Of course there is also the cultural difference in this international site and the age difference amongst the users

Warning - major stereotypes coming up

I'm English, a lot of us have a tendency to self-deprecation and sarcasm; we tend to go for direct rather than touchy-feely

As for age, many of us were brought up in an age where we told to pull our socks up and just get on with it. The victim mentality is a new one for us eg it's always something or someone at fault,

I would find over-sentimentality and cheerleading from my countrymen shocking and probably more irritating than supportive, as I would assume they were patronising or taking the p!ss. However from Americans it's a cultural response and I accept that

But I still enjoy posters who are direct, intelligent and amusing . I have barked with laughter at some things people have posted, I thank them for the amusement factor ...I also note that these people are far more likely to get abuse flags

I'm from New England. We have a very similar reputation. The rest of the country finds us very standoffish and unfriendly (stereotyping of course).

It may be a Northeast thing :) I'm from NY- people assume I'm going to be mean

NY/North Jersey here. We don't sugar coat things much, either.

Yeah, you guys are right. I'm just going off of what I've heard my whole life. But I would agree that the mindset would extend to NY/NJ. We just don't have time for other people's bullsh*t in the Northeast.

TIL that someplace in America thinks it has the monopole on frankness. Quaint.

Come to Germany, where telling someone "you got fat," is the expected truth, if, indeed, you got fat. "Rude" doesn't even exist in the local dialect.

ha, when I first moved to the south people thought I was the biggest A hole because I just told things like they were...

the thing about the south that is hilarious is that people can say things that sound so nice, but they are really saying go screw yourself...LOL
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    As is the case with real life, different people have different ideas about what is and is not polite, along with the relative importance of being polite. If we think of that as quadrant system, friction is going to happen when people from opposing quadrants collide.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    But you're the one attaching those emotions to those words. That doesn't mean that was the intent, or that was how anyone else read it.

There can only be a flame war with two actively participating sides.

All words carry two meanings -- the denotative meaning and the connotative meaning -- that are culturally assigned when we learn them. It's not like we exist in a lexical vacuum where the denotative meaning is shared but the connotative meaning is a personal choice.

It's our response to those words that we have control over. I choose to take offense or not, but even if I don't choose to take offense, the denotative and connotative meanings are still there.

People come here for help, they are b*tchslapped with the truth. That doesn't feel like help, it feels like getting b*itchslapped.

So they slap back. Boom, war started.

Again, I'm talking about newbies here. People who have 50 or most posts are choosing to swim in the deep end and are on their own, as far as I'm concerned. :smile:

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    it's fine for people to disagree and try and stop someone from an unhealthy diet plan, but i've seen people get nit picky over such unimportant things where i can only conclude that they are trolling. there is nothing helpful about these posts. there's a difference.

only read the o.p. and still need to read the entire thread, so not sure what was said about this.

Most the people that you see as being nitpicky aren't actually trolling - they are addressing the specifics because they see the devil in the details.

Trolling is an entirely different thing.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You want to be coddled or do you want the cold hard truth and actually make gains towards your goal(s)

/thread

well unfortunately you cant express how you get your information delivered
    but if you are asking, it would be nice to get the facts and then the receiver can take it from there. what you cant do is force them to accept it. i think thats what alot of people get annoyed by
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There have been instances in which I've posted in threads and got called out not because of what I've said, but because of things I've posted in the past in other threads. To me, I would consider that trolling. The intent is not to debate what I say or acknowledge it, it's simply to get me out of the thread.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    SMH - amazing how folks feel privileged enough to attack, mock, insult people - and then do not accept any responsibility for their behavior. Mis-information can be corrected without resorting to bullying. Speaking of gender, pause to consider where the term "b*tch-slap" came from and why anyone would think that the act is OK. Language is not harmless.
    You have never been bullied if you think this online stuff is bullying.

Seriously. The word bullying is thrown about so often it's nearly lost any and all meaning. Unless someone is following you around the internet, degrading, insulting, and shaming you, you're not being bullied.

And I'm in Texas, and I'm pretty blunt/straightforward. I think.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Of course there is also the cultural difference in this international site and the age difference amongst the users

I'm English, a lot of us have a tendency to self-deprecation and sarcasm; we tend to go for direct rather than touchy-feely

As for age, many of us were brought up in an age where we told to pull our socks up and just get on with it. The victim mentality is a new one for us eg it's always something or someone at fault,

I would find over-sentimentality and cheerleading from my countrymen shocking and probably more irritating than supportive, as I would assume they were patronising or taking the p!ss. However from Americans it's a cultural response and I accept that

But I still enjoy posters who are direct, intelligent and amusing . I have barked with laughter at some things people have posted, I thank them for the amusement factor ...I also note that these people are far more likely to get abuse flags

I'm from New England. We have a very similar reputation. The rest of the country finds us very standoffish and unfriendly (stereotyping of course).

i always assume when people say they're from New York, that they're from the city. i forget that there is a whole "upstate" part of New York.

I'm used to it. I'm close to the city so I just roll with it haha
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

NY/North Jersey here. We don't sugar coat things much, either.

Yeah, you guys are right. I'm just going off of what I've heard my whole life. But I would agree that the mindset would extend to NY/NJ. We just don't have time for other people's bullsh*t in the Northeast.

TIL that someplace in America thinks it has the monopole on frankness. Quaint.

Come to Germany, where telling someone "you got fat," is the expected truth, if, indeed, you got fat. "Rude" doesn't even exist in the local dialect.

Saying that we have that reputation to other Americans =/= the only place in the world with that reputation
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    There have been instances in which I've posted in threads and got called out not because of what I've said, but because of things I've posted in the past in other threads. To me, I would consider that trolling. The intent is not to debate what I say or acknowledge it, it's simply to get me out of the thread.

Credibility? How else do you show that in a forum?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

/thread

well unfortunately you cant express how you get your information delivered
    but if you are asking, it would be nice to get the facts and then the receiver can take it from there. what you cant do is force them to accept it. i think thats what alot of people get annoyed by

What is annoying is when you give them the correct information, then dispute is as incorrect. Then you have two things going:

1) You have to correct the incorrect information
    2) You know your information will help so you want to keep trying to convince them
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's all subjective. You saw his comments as aggressive, I didn't. Comments you find negative someone else might see as being told the truth. On MFP too many of you guys think that people not agreeing with you or correcting you is negative, when it's not. It could be a result of when we were over weight many of us suffered from low self esteem and are very defensive or just that ego doesn't want to allow us to be corrected. It's time to let go of that.

The comments are both truthful and negative. People are telling the truth, but they tell it in an aggressive, hostile way. It's difficult for people who are unprepared for the hostility to not respond with hostility, which turns the conversation into a pissing contest rather than a thoughtful discussion about the issue.

^^^^ All of that, for me, is applicable for newbies only. I was shocked and angry when I first started posting. After a while (like, 30 posts in), when I saw how it worked, I stopped taking the hostility personally.

I do see people here who have 500 or 1000 posts and who are *still* taking it personally. That's crazy town, as far as I am concerned.

Someone being negative is subjective. I have thick skin, NYC born and raised and it's just water of a ducks back with me. Again, you think it's negative while others may not. There is also a lot of misinformation and even more people with the lack of desire to learn. You specifically complain about us. And by us I mean myself, NDJ and other guys and say we gang up on people when it's not true. In return, you along with the other people that believe the same misinformation you do all agree with each other and call us rude. You specifically have called us bros and have tried to put us down saying we are "bodybuilders" as if it were a bad thing. It's hypocritical.

You call us a gang but we're not. In reality it's just you, you're standing in the middle of the room giving misinformation to people that don't know better, then 1 person comes towards you and corrects you, then another does and another and so on. It's not really and gang. It's a bunch of individuals all moving in the same direction appearing to look like a pose.

And here I thought you all had matching tats....*mind blown*
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

Most the people that you see as being nitpicky aren't actually trolling - they are addressing the specifics because they see the devil in the details.

Trolling is an entirely different thing.

no, they are trolling with entirely off topic nit picky subjects. i'd bring up actual examples, but the threads were locked, so that is probably against forum rules.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have read a few questions and response that people have written on here. It's really discouraging as a new user to ask a question or suggest a helpful answer. There are so many people that feel that they have the right answer and everyone else's is wrong. Let's just be helpful not rude as this is supposed to be a helpful source of information. What works or has worked for you does not make it the only way or the right way way for others. It is nice to hear what has worked for others and some people can take from many different ideas to make their own work for them. I hope everyone that uses this wonderful app finds it helpful and encouraging, not opinionated and intimidating.

Couldn't agree more, great post! I am also new here and have already experienced far too many who feel they know everything and don't even attempt the help the op with their question.

one example is the op asking about healthy snacks only to have people answer with "if it fits in your macros... there is no such thing as unhealthy foods! trans fats are healthy!"

I too am disappointed in many responses so far but I will continue to weed out those posts and do this best I can to learn and help others.
  • Aviva92
    Options

yep, that's trolling. pretty sure i've seen that happen to you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You know, i knew I should have lock thread after the OP posted it because these never end well. Below are some of the few reason this got locked.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.
This discussion has been closed.