Tired of explaining my diet to people

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Regarding the food allergy excuse and people not taking it seriously...

It's a thing. Some people are just idiots. They get their back up when they hear it and want to "test" the whole "allergy business". So they sneak something in food because they just don't "believe in" food allergies.

When people lie about a food allergy, they could eat the offending food, and not suffer any ill effects, and that bumbling idiot will then go on in their persistent belief that food allergies aren't a real thing. They could then go on to "test" someone with a real issue.

Now, how does this apply to this thread? Probably in no way if you're outright refusing food. The fact remains that for those of us with honest to goodness food allergy/intolerance issues, we've all come across these food testing idiots before and this whole business about people lying about food allergies for whatever reason is a real hot button for us.

Just don't do it.

(You should see me let loose on a gluten thread. That's my hot button issue.)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    So, as I see these people here who get all rude and angry, I think it's important to point out a couple of things.

1. People have emotions about food. And it doesn't just have to do with weight. Some people were raised in homes where you are being a bad host if you don't offer guests food. Some people like to entertain and are emotionally invested in the food they have made because they put effort into it. Some people are heavy and haven't figured out their diet plan yet. Some people are just not understanding. If you remove your own food anxiety from the equation and look at the other person's point of view, you'll realize that 99% of the time there is no reason to get upset, defensive or whatever.

2. In some cultures, it is considered positively rude to turn down food or drink. If you go to the middle east, for example, you WILL eat what they give you (even if just a bite) because it's a smack in their face (and their culture of hospitality) if you don't.

Net, net? Step outside yourself for a second and see the other side.

Even in Vietnamese and Indian. It's considered extremely rude to turn down food.

OP, I use "allergy" excuse. No one bothers if they hear that word. They don't want to be bothered with ER. ;)

NO!!

Are you suggesting the Big "No" to me?
    EDTA : Allergy Excuse Works for me.

Using allergies and intolerances as a false excuse can put people in danger and even kill people. Thank you for contributing in putting our lives in danger.

What???? No.

What? Yes! I have personally had experience with this. Before I was an expert on what I can and cannot eat I had a friend bake me something she thought was okay because "so and so" had an allergy and could eat it. An hour later I'm in the ER being emergency Intubated because my airway was closing and medications were not helping.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    So, as I see these people here who get all rude and angry, I think it's important to point out a couple of things.

1. People have emotions about food. And it doesn't just have to do with weight. Some people were raised in homes where you are being a bad host if you don't offer guests food. Some people like to entertain and are emotionally invested in the food they have made because they put effort into it. Some people are heavy and haven't figured out their diet plan yet. Some people are just not understanding. If you remove your own food anxiety from the equation and look at the other person's point of view, you'll realize that 99% of the time there is no reason to get upset, defensive or whatever.

2. In some cultures, it is considered positively rude to turn down food or drink. If you go to the middle east, for example, you WILL eat what they give you (even if just a bite) because it's a smack in their face (and their culture of hospitality) if you don't.

Even in Vietnamese and Indian. It's considered extremely rude to turn down food.

OP, I use "allergy" excuse. No one bothers if they hear that word. They don't want to be bothered with ER. ;)

NO!!

Using allergies and intolerances as a false excuse can put people in danger and even kill people. Thank you for contributing in putting our lives in danger.

What???? No.

So, if someone goes to a restaurant and claims a garlic allergy because he doesn't like garlicky food and eats a dish with garlic and is fine, and someone with a true allergy to garlic goes into a restaurant claiming the same, you think the person with the true garlic allergy will be taken as seriously after the person with a false claim goes in? What if it happens more than once, like, say 10 times?

I've had this happen to me, not with an allergy, but a medically diagnosed sensitivity. Last time, I was miserable for 3 weeks because proper disclosure wasn't made. Why? Because people are too dense to realize how these false claims hurt those who genuinely need precautions.

This is a stretch. If someone gave your food you were intolerant of (when you asked them not to) it means they were careless and/or wreckless or malicious. Has nothing to do with someone begging off of food by using a false excuse. You should be able to say "no garlic, please" and expect no garlic, regardless of whether you have an allergy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kellicci wrote: »
    For me, because I'm only trying to lose a few pounds I get a lot of "You don't need to lose weight, why are you on a diet?" or "one cookie won't kill you" type remarks. Well sorry people. I'm 5'1 if I eat more than 1200 calories a day I won't lose weight. My friend who is 5'9"....sure a cookie won't kill her diet but for me I have to be really careful (or find 2 hours a day to exercise which isn't practical for me). I have this figured out. I know what works for me and if that cookie puts me over my 1200 it won;t work, period.

So I usually don't say anything about a diet...if they offer me something I can;t fit into my daily calorie count I just say "no thanks, I'm fine." or "I brought my lunch" or "I have other plans" they don;t need a reason why every time. Sometime I lie and say I already ate or just had a snack. lol

If they ask personal questions about your goals you can always say, "Sorry, that's not something I'm sharing with others."

A two-hour workout for a cookie? You're doing it wrong.

I don't know, maybe it is one AMAZING cookie...

solstice10.jpg

I would work out 2 hours for that...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    katyport wrote: »

I couldn't agree more! When I was in Iraq I spent time in some Iraqi's homes. They had brought out small plates of food and I ate everything on my plate (like most Americans have been taught) and they immediately put more food on my plate. The translator I was with told me that I should always leave a little bit on my plate, or else I am showing them that they did not give me enough.

Everyone's path and understanding is different. Every time I think I know everything, I find out how little I actually know.

LOL. SO TRUE.

I made the same mistake when I was in Dubai. But, I have to admit, the food was so delicious I didn't want to stop eating it, anyway!
  • elphie754
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

NO!!

What???? No.

So, if someone goes to a restaurant and claims a garlic allergy because he doesn't like garlicky food and eats a dish with garlic and is fine, and someone with a true allergy to garlic goes into a restaurant claiming the same, you think the person with the true garlic allergy will be taken as seriously after the person with a false claim goes in? What if it happens more than once, like, say 10 times?

I've had this happen to me, not with an allergy, but a medically diagnosed sensitivity. Last time, I was miserable for 3 weeks because proper disclosure wasn't made. Why? Because people are too dense to realize how these false claims hurt those who genuinely need precautions.

This is a stretch. If someone gave your food you were intolerant of (when you asked them not to) it means they were careless and/or wreckless or malicious. Has nothing to do with someone begging off of food by using a false excuse. You should be able to say "no garlic, please" and expect no garlic, regardless of whether you have an allergy.

Except sensitivities and allergies can be triggered by cross contamination as well. Most food places do not take allergies seriously because of people who do this. I personally never eat out because I can't trust any resturant not to kill me.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options

It's a thing. Some people are just idiots. They get their back up when they hear it and want to "test" the whole "allergy business". So they sneak something in food because they just don't "believe in" food allergies.

When people lie about a food allergy, they could eat the offending food, and not suffer any ill effects, and that bumbling idiot will then go on in their persistent belief that food allergies aren't a real thing. They could then go on to "test" someone with a real issue.

Now, how does this apply to this thread? Probably in no way if you're outright refusing food. The fact remains that for those of us with honest to goodness food allergy/intolerance issues, we've all come across these food testing idiots before and this whole business about people lying about food allergies for whatever reason is a real hot button for us.

Just don't do it.

(You should see me let loose on a gluten thread.)

I understand what you're saying. But I think if someone is the type to ignore another person's stated food allergy, they're just an *kitten*. I am allergic to mangos. I break out in a painful rash all over my mouth, anywhere the mango juice touches. But it won't kill me. One of these a holes could see me inadvertently drink something with some mango juice in it and not die. They don't see the painful rash that lasts the next 3 days. They will still go on believing allergies don't exist. Not because I lied, but because they're an a hole.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

NO!!

What???? No.

Ah, it should work that way, but it doesn't. Human nature is fickle. And for some reason, human nature hates people it perceives as special snowflakes. You can't expect no garlic when the chef has an ego the size of a continent and thinks it will ruin his dish and he got away with it last time.

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ashtonlv wrote: »
    You guys are all cracking me up, this is awesome. I feel like I should give some color to what sort of precipitated this aggravation. My in-laws are brining over Chinese food tonight and tonight is my cherished cheat meal night and Chinese food is simply not cheat worthy so it's causing family strife that I told them not to bring me any and I will get my own food, which is what opens up the "diet" discussion. My husband is mad at me for being rude, and my in laws are still trying to get me to tell them what I want from the Chinese restaurant.

I don't get this either, but I have seen it happen to my friends and my brother (who is married). Apparently not eating the exact same thing as the family is rude to some people. If that is the case, and you are willing to modify your day for the idea of family unity, you can eat a healthy meal from the Chinese place and then push your cheat meal to tomorrow. :)
    Yes exactly - either - tell them you're not that hungry and ask them to just bring you some steamed veggies- any chinese restaurant will do that (i'm allergic to soy, I know). Eat a very small amount of a regular dish so you don't go over cals and have your treat tomorrow, or just tell them you're on a diet. Lots of choices to still get what you want!

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ashtonlv wrote: »
    You guys are all cracking me up, this is awesome. I feel like I should give some color to what sort of precipitated this aggravation. My in-laws are brining over Chinese food tonight and tonight is my cherished cheat meal night and Chinese food is simply not cheat worthy so it's causing family strife that I told them not to bring me any and I will get my own food, which is what opens up the "diet" discussion. My husband is mad at me for being rude, and my in laws are still trying to get me to tell them what I want from the Chinese restaurant.

I don't get this either, but I have seen it happen to my friends and my brother (who is married). Apparently not eating the exact same thing as the family is rude to some people. If that is the case, and you are willing to modify your day for the idea of family unity, you can eat a healthy meal from the Chinese place and then push your cheat meal to tomorrow. :)

It's not just not eating the same thing in this case. It's a matter of being grateful for a kind gesture, which is treating them to dinner. If this were me, I'd eat a portion that fit into my calories for the day and save my cheat meal for another night.

Bringing them a meal may be a kind gesture, but it it's not food she wants to eat, why the heck should she have to eat it?

You know what? She doesn't have to eat it. She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do. No one is holding her down and force feeding it to her.

Is it how I would handle my important personal relationships with people? No.

I would:

1) want to keep the peace with my inlaws

2) be grateful for a free meal and

3) recognize that it's only one stupid dinner. So much angst for ONE dinner.

And, for the record, if one dinner is going to derail your weight loss then you're doing it wrong.

• elphie754
    Options

Just don't do it.

I understand what you're saying. But I think if someone is the type to ignore another person's stated food allergy, they're just an *kitten*. I am allergic to mangos. I break out in a painful rash all over my mouth, anywhere the mango juice touches. But it won't kill me. One of these a holes could see me inadvertently drink something with some mango juice in it and not die. They don't see the painful rash that lasts the next 3 days. They will still go on believing allergies don't exist. Not because I lied, but because they're an a hole.

Just a question- not trying to be rude- but are you allergic to actual mango or the urishol in the skin? A lot of people don't realize mango skin contains urishol and don't prepare mangos properly.

• spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Just don't do it.

Just a question- not trying to be rude- but are you allergic to actual mango or the urishol in the skin? A lot of people don't realize mango skin contains urishol and don't prepare mangos properly.

I've had the same reaction from mango juice in a cocktail and eating the actual fruit so I just avoid it like the plague.

• elphie754
    Options
    Since when has it become socially acceptable to lie about a medical issue?

So all those who seem it is okay to lie about allergies, how would you feel if someone said "no I can't eat that, I'm diabetic" when they are not?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Just don't do it.

Well, yes, but, the people lying don't help. I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone with celiac disease. Not eating gluten has become such a fad, that rip-off artists have sold gluten-containing products and labeled them gluten free to jump on a perceived health craze bandwagon.

They're aholes and they are riding on the backs of a bunch of liars who say they can't eat gluten.

People like me who really can't eat gluten are the ones who suffer.

Yes, the aholes are still aholes no matter what happens, but the liars don't help the situation.

• astrose00
    Options

NO!!

What???? No.

Except sensitivities and allergies can be triggered by cross contamination as well. Most food places do not take allergies seriously because of people who do this. I personally never eat out because I can't trust any resturant not to kill me.

I believe that some people don't take it seriously but I don't think it's mainly because some people lie about food allergies. I think the people who blow it off are just idiots.

As an aside, I know some people (actually, many people) who don't eat pork. Or I should say "won't" eat pork. A lot of folks I know don't take that seriously. They might cook with pork and serve it to them anyway. Or they may fry something in oil where pork was fried previously. That I have seen a lot. I do wonder if they are trying to prove a point like: If pork was so bad, how come you didn't know it was in what you just ate?

And I have a confession... My ex-boyfriend didn't like food warmed in the microwave. So if I made something I'd always have to warm it SLOWLY in the oven or on the stove. At least a few times, when he wasn't paying attention, I warmed it in the microwave. And he didn't notice or die... not the same thing but it made me laugh to remember I did that...
  • astrose00
    Options

NO!!

What???? No.

Ah, it should work that way, but it doesn't. Human nature is fickle. And for some reason, human nature hates people it perceives as special snowflakes. You can't expect no garlic when the chef has an ego the size of a continent and thinks it will ruin his dish and he got away with it last time.

Agree
  • elphie754
    edited January 2015
    Options

Just don't do it.

I've had the same reaction from mango juice in a cocktail and eating the actual fruit so I just avoid it like the plague.

The rash was likely due to the urishiol and not the mango itself. In case people are wondering, urishiol is the oil found in poison ivy, sumac and oak. It is also found in the skin of a mango at a lower concentration. It causes contact dermatitis where it touches. It is estimated that over 80% of the earths population is allergic to it (why some get the rash and others don't). If you don't prepare a mayo properly you can accidently ingest it. If only your mouth breaks out and no where else, I'd say it was likely from the skin, not the magi itself.
  • elphie754
    Options

Just don't do it.

The rash was likely due to the urishiol and not the mango itself. In case people are wondering, urishiol is the oil found in poison ivy, sumac and oak. It is also found in the skin of a mango at a lower concentration. It causes contact dermatitis where it touches. It is estimated that over 80% of the earths population is allergic to it (why some get the rash and others don't). If you don't prepare a mayo properly you can accidently ingest it. If only your mouth breaks out and no where else, I'd say it was likely from the skin, not the magi itself.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating you going out and getting a mango to test whether it is the mango itself just incase it is. Just wanted to share this piece of information because most people don't realize mangos contain urishiol and anyone who has bad reactions to poison ivy should be really careful with mangos. Similarly, since your reaction is that bad, be really careful around poison ivy since the concentration is higher in the plants than mango.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How does one properly prepare a mango? I usually peel the skin off like a clementine and dig in.

>.<
  • elphie754
    Options
    How does one properly prepare a mango? I usually peel the skin off like a clementine and dig in.

>.<

By not cutting into the skin when cutting it up. If you cut into the skin while cutting it, you are essentially spreading the urishiol to the edible part of the fruit.