Sugars

Options

Replies

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    DGavriel wrote: »
    I don't need medication yet and he told me if I could lose 15 to 20 pounds I could reverse it which is what I am trying to do. He told me to cut back on carbs and sweets and suggested some sugar free candy. I didn't see anything wrong with having one treat after dinner usually a WW snack or those 120 calorie skinny cow packets of chocolate just a little something sweet after being good all day.

It's not your weight that CAUSES the diabetes. It's the FOOD. You CAN control and even cure it if you care enough to do it. No food is worth being sick over imo. WW, artificial sweeteners, and other processed stuff is not going to be beneficial. Skip the high sugar/low fat stuff (which is what WW, skinny cow, and others are in order to keep calories low); you need to do the opposite. Fat has more calories but it's also what a body needs (the right fats, not canola, soy, margarine, etc). Please do a whole bunch of research. I prevented full blown diabetes, just in time, and it was the FOOD. My diabetic symptoms were totally gone long before I'd lost much weight.

1) Food does not cause diabetes. Weight is the second most common risk factor for diabetes, after genetics. The food you eat is not a risk factor at all

2) You can never cure diabetes, it is for life. All you can do is control it, and it sounds as though you are doing really well at controlling it. Yes, the ideal way to control it is through diet and exercise but if you go back to bad habits you will go back to high blood sugar.

Food is a risk factor in type II diabetes.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/1/274S.full
    Literature review showing that replacing high-glycemic-index food with low-glycemic index food reduces the risk of type II diabetes, and improves glycemic control in those with diabetes, particularly in the obese.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/6/1447.full
    Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages predicts development of type II diabetes

My diabetes has not required any control other that diet (reducing added sugars) since diagnosis, and my blood sugar levels (by A1C) actually went down while my weight went up. For me, blood sugar seems to be affected more by how I`m doing emotionally, or my diet, than by my weight.

Going to a diabetes clinic for nutritional information was free where I live. Dietary choices, like not eating carbs in isolation, can help with glycemic control.

I was a little worried about going over the MFP sugar recommendations, but I find that if I exercise a little every day, there is room for sugar in my diet. Moderate to intense exercise also reduces insulin resistance, and helps with glycemic control. I do prefer to eat smaller fruits, and only one to two servings a day, to keep total sugars lower. Eliminating fruit is a bad idea, as fruit has many essential nutrients, and protects against cancer, stroke and heart attacks. My diabetes nutritionist recommended having sweet treats only one to two times a week.

I found that including enough protein (my diabetes nutritionist suggested .8g/kg body weight, which was higher than MFP recommendation), meant that I need to eat fewer carbs to stay in my deficit (my fat intake is already low). For me, reducing sweet treats was necessary to stay in a deficit. The whey powder I take with greek yogurt is sweetened with stevia, and is quite sweet.

I personally respond to sugar in such a way that I am better off keeping to the sugars I get naturally in my diet (limiting added sugars). With lower added sugars, I have an easier time being satisfied while eating at a deficit, and avoiding cravings. Anytime I increase my intake of added sugars (Halloween, Christmas), my A1C goes up.

My sympathy on receiving your diagnosis. Diabetes is a lifetime diagnosis, but if you can keep your blood sugar in a healthy range you can significantly lower your risk of diabetic complications. Good work so far :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Any doctors in the house want to clear up some confusion for me? I had always thought the advice was, in an ideal world, diabetics should avoid sugar and also cut carbs. Did I get it wrong?
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Some people with sugar sensitivity benefit from lowering carbs. The best dietary strategy can vary from individual to individual. Even with type I diabetes, however, insulin can be adjusted to prevent the prolonged high blood sugar that causes damage, regardless of carb intake. Eliminating carbs is pointless, as the body would then convert protein into glucose to meet it's basic needs, although starvation or ketogenic diets were sometimes used to manage type one diabetes before insulin.

It makes more sense to reduce body weight (when appropriate), exercise, make healthy diet choices overall, replace high GI/GLoad foods with low GI/GLoad foods (to improve glycemic control), track/limit total carbohydrates (or net, total after some or all fiber is deducted), try to consume carbs at the same time as protein, or just after a good protein meal, and adjust insulin bolus to diet (if required).

OP is best off talking to a diabetes nutritionist, if she hasn't already.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP should talk to her doctor and get a referral to a registered dietician, ideally. Anyone with diabetes or pre diabetes should.

Also, she should ignore pretty kitty.

I disagree with kyta often enough on other things (like cravings=addiction), but this is good advice, IMO:
    It makes more sense to reduce body weight (when appropriate), exercise, make healthy diet choices overall, replace high GI/GLoad foods with low GI/GLoad foods (to improve glycemic control), track/limit total carbohydrates (or net, total after some or all fiber is deducted), try to consume carbs at the same time as protein, or just after a good protein meal, and adjust insulin bolus to diet (if required).

OP is best off talking to a diabetes nutritionist, if she hasn't already.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Any doctors in the house want to clear up some confusion for me? I had always thought the advice was, in an ideal world, diabetics should avoid sugar and also cut carbs. Did I get it wrong?
    Here is an example of a recent RCT that shows a high grain/carb vegan diet that bests convention treatments for diabetes. Link to study inside
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/12/vegan-ma-pi-diet-bests-conventional.html
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have been doing good and staying under my daily calorie goal but often my sugars are too high I'm thinking maybe I need to skip that one snack at night especially because I have just been diagnosed with diabetes.

How about one month of no refined sugar, no fruit, and no grains (pasta, bread, cereal, rice, etc.)? I mean none. I think you will be surprised with the results.

Always amazes me how Type 2 diabetics are OK with a life of insulin and Metformin, so long as they can eat what they like.
    Pretty wild assumption you're making about people there.

I think it's time you post some progress pictures since you love to criticize every eating sugar. You are wrong every time you do but you still haven't proven you have accomplished anything.

It's the MFP "hall monitor," MrM, coming out of the woodwork defending the indefensible - sugar.

MrM - too much sugar in the blood, eat less sugar. Duh.
    You knowledge of biochemical processes is astounding...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mg2ph8H2mH1qkfwf2o1_500.gif

Hi. I am the MFP Hall Monitor, and yes, my cat's breath smells like cat food. I'm not even in the mood for people to derail yet another user's thread with a ridiculous fight and scads of reports/flags just because they can't stand the idea that someone they don't like has the audacity to post information they don't agree with in the forums.

Please either contribute constructively to the actual topic (that's the OP, not the topic you derail the thread with so you can argue for the sake of arguing), or move on without posting.

I'm going leave this here to prevent any confusion as to why Disapproving Triangle Face is appearing in your Notifications if the shenanigans continue.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    #1 goal will be to track calories, lose weight, and hit your carb goal.

However, my understanding is that you can get a good understanding of how different foods and food combos affect you by tracking your blood sugar levels after meals. Keep notes and learn how your body works.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I also know that you can have the biggest butt in the world and it won't cause health problems but if you carry your weight in your stomach like my family does then you're screwed! :(
    Genetics plays a role but speak with your physician about family history and options to avoid 'being screwed'. You may find you have better control over things then you realize. Best of luck OP.

• lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options

Here is diabetes.org on the topic: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/?loc=db-slabnav

I have heard people who are high on the health benefits of low carb diets in general complaining that the recommendations for diabetic diets often tend to focus more on (arguably) outdated advice like lowering fat that have long been medical approaches to losing weight and not focused so much on lowering carbs.

Obviously medical advice for reducing calories is always going to suggest reducing sweets (non nutrient dense calories that also have a strong affect on blood sugar for someone prone to that), reducing processed carbs (similar reasons), and reducing certain kinds of lower nutrient or otherwise medically questioned high fat foods, especially trans fats and (for many medical professionals still) saturated fat.

I personally tend to think that somewhat lower carbs work for many (and truly low carb works for some, diabetes or no), and some doctors seem more interested in that approach, but I don't think it's at all the mainstream approach currently. I don't have even pre diabetes or insulin resistance and never have, though, so can't speak from personal experience.

This idea that that means eliminating fruit and grains and never ever being able to have a dessert again seems unfounded, however.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Here is diabetes.org on the topic: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/?loc=db-slabnav

I have heard people who are high on the health benefits of low carb diets in general complaining that the recommendations for diabetic diets often tend to focus more on (arguably) outdated advice like lowering fat that have long been medical approaches to losing weight and not focused so much on lowering carbs.

Obviously medical advice for reducing calories is always going to suggest reducing sweets (non nutrient dense calories that also have a strong affect on blood sugar for someone prone to that), reducing processed carbs (similar reasons), and reducing certain kinds of lower nutrient or otherwise medically questioned high fat foods, especially trans fats and (for many medical professionals still) saturated fat.

I personally tend to think that somewhat lower carbs work for many (and truly low carb works for some, diabetes or no), and some doctors seem more interested in that approach, but I don't think it's at all the mainstream approach currently. I don't have even pre diabetes or insulin resistance and never have, though, so can't speak from personal experience.

This idea that that means eliminating fruit and grains and never ever being able to have a dessert again seems unfounded, however.

I agree that lowering sugar makes lowering weight easier, but I thought sugar and high carbs actually does more damage to a diabetic, too. That is where my confusion sets in.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I agree that lowering sugar makes lowering weight easier, but I thought sugar and high carbs actually does more damage to a diabetic, too. That is where my confusion sets in.

Lowering is not eliminating. I believe the idea is balancing carbs so you reduce the blood sugar effect. That's consistent with what the diabetes.org link seems to be saying and what I've seen elsewhere.

But I'm sure some people who are experienced in TypeII and diet will weigh in again soon.