Options

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »

Okay. So if someone has a malfunctioning pancreas and isn't releasing enough insulin and that person eats the cake, it's a problem, isn't it?

It is a problem only in the context of the overall diet (for T2D). A piece of cake will spike the glucose, but it will fall rapidly too. It is when there is constantly heightened glucose in the bloodstream that damage occurs. This is why diabetics live and breathe by their A1C numbers. Taken every 3 months, this lab blood test shows the average glucose in the bloodstream.

Blood glucose tests, taken with a meter, will tell you what is happening at a specific point in time and are helpful to see how certain foods affect the glucose. Many who are on medications or controlled with diet and exercise will test once in the morning, known as a fasting glucose, to see if the glucose is lowering when not eating. Others will test after a meal to see how high that particular food will make the glucose rise, then test again about 2 hours later to see how much it fell. This is all helpful information, but the A1C is the most informative.

A piece of cake isn't a problem for T2D if it is balanced out by lower carb foods the rest of the day.

Thanks!

Can a person wear out her pancreas faster by constantly consuming really unhealthy amounts of sugar and carbs? The risk factors posted don't say that can happen, but if not, that person will still end up obese most likely, but how does obesity cause diabetes if it has nothing to do with the quality of the foods eaten?

Edit: Does the actual stored fat mess up the pancreas somehow?

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Does anyone still think PrettyKitty is a genuine account?

Seriously?

I actually do. I really think she actually believes the things she writes. It goes with the first thread she made when she came here and it was a disaster.

Yes, I do believe what I write. Pre-diabetic? ZERO SUGAR!
    So no fruits, vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal or whole grain bread?

Vegetables are fine. And this is not a change for the rest of your life, it's a change to hopefully have your doctor tell you that you are no longer pre-diabetic. Once your OK, eat fruit, brown rice, oatmeal and whole grain bread. And yes, I am basing this on anecdotal evidence.

From this article: http://ask.metafilter.com/237108/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Prediabetes

"Today, you begin a life with very very little bread. And very little pasta, rice, and crackers. Today you stop eating cookies, and for God's sakes please put down the donut and the cake and basically anything that comes in a shiny brightly colored bag that you can buy at the pharmacy or gas station."

"Eat nuts, eat lean meats, eat all the vegetables (besides potatoes) that you want. Eat plain yogurt with berries. Eggs are good for you. Get used to Truvia, Splenda, erithryitol if you simply must have something sweet. AVOID all the crappy "sugar-free" candies that use sugar alcohols, as stuff like Maltitol has about the same glycemic impact as table sugar."

Now let the attacks from the usual suspects begin.

PK,

Come on, any "attacks" are in your perception only, just as the "usual suspects" are. Nobody here is out to get you. ;)

That said, what you've posted is a link to someone's blog entry. There are no links to peer reviewed studies.

If you are diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which I'm not even sure I believe in because sugar does not cause diabetes, why would you not make carb/sugar moderation a lifetime goal? Why just do it for awhile? It seems to me that if you are indeed pre-diabetic and you control your glucose levels through diet but then go back to eating in a way you did before, wouldn't you end up having high glucose levels?

Saying you can be cured of pre-diabetes is like saying you can be cured of diabetes. There is no cure for diabetes, though it can be controlled through sugar/carb moderation, exercise, and insulin pills or injections if needed.

By the way, this is not an attack, it is engaging in conversation based on something you wrote.

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes? Then what does, sautéed chicken breasts? Broccoli?

If I'm ever diagnosed with pre-diabetes, my sugar and grain consumption will immediately get down to as close to zero as possible, and my consumption of sautéed chicken breasts and broccoli will double.

Just do a little on-line search and you will find so many pre-diabetics who ended the problem with a change in diet. I am not making this up, and have no reason to make this up.
    Please please please show us actual evidence, science, not some blog that says sugar specifically causes diabetes.

Show me some science where it says it doesn't. Burden on proof is on you, not me. Diabetes = too much blood sugar. What has sugar, a donut or broccoli?

No. The burden of proof is on you actually. Nowhere does it day sugar causes diabetes. There you go again with the donut stuff. It's getting old. It's a lame debate by you.

With your logic I can aliens exist and you have to prove to me they don't

For the other user:

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/

An imbalance between caloric intake and physical activity can lead to obesity, which causes insulin resistance and is common in people with type 2 diabetes. Central obesity, in which a person has excess abdominal fat, is a major risk factor not only for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes but also for heart and blood vessel disease, also called cardiovascular disease (CVD). This excess “belly fat” produces hormones and other substances that can cause harmful, chronic effects in the body such as damage to blood vessels.

The DPP and other studies show that millions of people can lower their risk for type 2 diabetes by making lifestyle changes and losing weight. The DPP proved that people with prediabetes—at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes—could sharply lower their risk by losing weight through regular physical activity and a diet low in fat and calories. In 2009, a follow-up study of DPP participants—the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study (DPPOS)—showed that the benefits of weight loss lasted for at least 10 years after the original study began.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I think I understand. Doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you have a calorie deficit. You will lose weight and your pre-diabetes may or will disappear. Is that what I'm hearing?
    From Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry pg 939
    "Studies show that three factors improve the health of individuals with type 2 diabetes: dietary restriction, regular exercise, and drugs that increase insulin
    sensitivity or insulin production. Dietary restriction (and accompanying weight loss) reduces the overall burden of handling fatty acids.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Thought this was interesting, throwing it in there. Because I'm learning a lot from this thread and would like to give some information back!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23984417

Vitamin C intake reduces the cytotoxicity associated with hyperglycemia in prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.

Abstract
    Hyperglycemia leads to the formation of free radicals and advanced glycation end-products (AGEs). Antioxidants can reduce the level of protein glycation and DNA damage. In this study, we compared the levels of vitamin C intake, which is among the most abundant antioxidants obtained from diet, with the levels of fasting plasma glucose (FPG), glycated hemoglobin (A1C), DNA damage, and cytotoxicity in prediabetic subjects and type 2 diabetic subjects. Our results indicated that there was no significant correlation between FPG or A1C and DNA damage parameters (micronuclei, nucleoplasmic bridges, and nuclear buds). FPG and A1C correlated with necrosis (r = 0.294; P = 0.013 and r = 0.401; P = 0.001, resp.). Vitamin C intake correlated negatively with necrosis and apoptosis (r = -0.246; P = 0.040, and r = -0.276; P = 0.021, resp.). The lack of a correlation between the FPG and A1C and DNA damage could be explained, at least in part, by the elimination of cells with DNA damage by either necrosis or apoptosis (cytotoxicity). Vitamin C appeared to improve cell survival by reducing cytotoxicity. Therefore, the present results indicate the need for clinical studies to evaluate the effect of low-dose vitamin C supplementation in type 2 diabetes.
  • Jolinia
    Options

Seriously?

I actually do. I really think she actually believes the things she writes. It goes with the first thread she made when she came here and it was a disaster.

Vegetables are fine. And this is not a change for the rest of your life, it's a change to hopefully have your doctor tell you that you are no longer pre-diabetic. Once your OK, eat fruit, brown rice, oatmeal and whole grain bread. And yes, I am basing this on anecdotal evidence.

From this article: http://ask.metafilter.com/237108/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Prediabetes

"Today, you begin a life with very very little bread. And very little pasta, rice, and crackers. Today you stop eating cookies, and for God's sakes please put down the donut and the cake and basically anything that comes in a shiny brightly colored bag that you can buy at the pharmacy or gas station."

"Eat nuts, eat lean meats, eat all the vegetables (besides potatoes) that you want. Eat plain yogurt with berries. Eggs are good for you. Get used to Truvia, Splenda, erithryitol if you simply must have something sweet. AVOID all the crappy "sugar-free" candies that use sugar alcohols, as stuff like Maltitol has about the same glycemic impact as table sugar."

PK,

Come on, any "attacks" are in your perception only, just as the "usual suspects" are. Nobody here is out to get you. ;)

That said, what you've posted is a link to someone's blog entry. There are no links to peer reviewed studies.

If you are diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which I'm not even sure I believe in because sugar does not cause diabetes, why would you not make carb/sugar moderation a lifetime goal? Why just do it for awhile? It seems to me that if you are indeed pre-diabetic and you control your glucose levels through diet but then go back to eating in a way you did before, wouldn't you end up having high glucose levels?

Saying you can be cured of pre-diabetes is like saying you can be cured of diabetes. There is no cure for diabetes, though it can be controlled through sugar/carb moderation, exercise, and insulin pills or injections if needed.

By the way, this is not an attack, it is engaging in conversation based on something you wrote.

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes? Then what does, sautéed chicken breasts? Broccoli?

If I'm ever diagnosed with pre-diabetes, my sugar and grain consumption will immediately get down to as close to zero as possible, and my consumption of sautéed chicken breasts and broccoli will double.

Just do a little on-line search and you will find so many pre-diabetics who ended the problem with a change in diet. I am not making this up, and have no reason to make this up.
    Please please please show us actual evidence, science, not some blog that says sugar specifically causes diabetes.

Show me some science where it says it doesn't. Burden on proof is on you, not me. Diabetes = too much blood sugar. What has sugar, a donut or broccoli?

No. The burden of proof is on you actually. Nowhere does it day sugar causes diabetes. There you go again with the donut stuff. It's getting old. It's a lame debate by you.

From the ADA - "Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes, a condition characterized by high blood glucose levels caused by either a lack of insulin or the body's inability to use insulin efficiently. Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older adults but can appear in young people, and the American Diabetes Association recommends that people limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes."

Hey, it's the ADA. What the heck do they know?

I wonder if this is based on the Lustig research. I found it fascinating that Frank Hu, who argues this research isn't a smoking gun says:

"I don't know why this happened, because we know other foods are associated with diabetes risk – like highly refined grain products, white rice, bread, and other starchy foods. Those foods are not very different from sugar. But maybe sugar is a better indicator of certain dietary habits of a population."

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/28/173170149/sugars-role-in-rise-of-diabetes-gets-clearer
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OP I will tell you this. When I weighed 173 pounds I was diagnosed diabetic. For years I tried low fat, low carb, low sugar, and my numbers were still terrible.(and I did not lose weight)
    When I began eating everything in MODERATION, I began to lose weight. After losing 45 pounds my A1c is normal and my cholesterol is better than it has been for years. I eat whatever I want, I just track my calories and make sure I do not gain weight. Good luck!
  • Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options

Seriously?

PK,

From the ADA - "Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes, a condition characterized by high blood glucose levels caused by either a lack of insulin or the body's inability to use insulin efficiently. Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older adults but can appear in young people, and the American Diabetes Association recommends that people limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes."

Let me see where you did a cut and paste for that quote. I'd also like to see the research that led to that.

Seriously?

PK,

I wonder if this is based on the Lustig research. I found it fascinating that Frank Hu, who argues this research isn't a smoking gun says:

"I don't know why this happened, because we know other foods are associated with diabetes risk – like highly refined grain products, white rice, bread, and other starchy foods. Those foods are not very different from sugar. But maybe sugar is a better indicator of certain dietary habits of a population."

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/28/173170149/sugars-role-in-rise-of-diabetes-gets-clearer

Lustig is a fear mongering king...
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

I'm actually more interested in Hu's assertion regarding highly refined grains, white rice, bread, and other starchy foods.

More on Professor Hu:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/frank-hu/
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Type 1 diabetes occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks and kills the beta cells of the pancreas. No, or very little, insulin is released into the body

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body can’t properly use the insulin that is released, or releases too little insulin.

About 90% of diabetics are type II. It is possible to have both types.

In both types of diabetes, prolonged high circulating blood sugars can cause damage to various body systems - kidneys, vascular/cardiac, vision.

For some diabetics, taking insulin allows normal metabolism of sugars.

Others can control their diabetes through diet, exercise, or other medications.

Many things cause insulin spikes (including protein and exercise), and naturally-produced insulin spikes do not appear to cause harm to the body in healthy individuals (although diabetics taking insulin must calculate their dosage carefully). Hypoglycemia is a topic for another thread.

Other things can be converted to sugar in the blood, like high intakes of protein. Getting a handle on insulin resistance, through managing weight, exercise, diet, tracking/limiting carbs (for some), and sometimes medications, is key to managing type II diabetes, not the complete elimination of carbs, which can have problematic side effects.

Low-carb diets work for some, but not all.

Source for some info used: http://www.diabetes.ca/about-diabetes/what-is-diabetes

Thanks! So low carb could work for some, others might do better controlling their blood sugar other ways and can do so. Regardless, avoiding insulin spikes is good, right?

Exercise, though? Seriously? I didn't want to learn that one! (Diabetes runs heavily in my family, I'm doing my best to stay off that road, so this subject is important to me.)

I'm not sure why you think insulin spikes are dangerous, when naturally produced by the body. Some people find it easier to manage cravings when they avoid glucose spikes (eat fiber, pair carbs with protein, switch in lower GI foods for higher GI foods), but that is a separate issue. Insulin helps regulate blood sugar levels in healthy people, and controls amino acid uptake by cells (can increase protein synthesis). If you have research supporting that insulin spikes produced by the body are dangerous, I would be interested in seeing it. All evidence points to exercise being beneficial for insulin sensitivity.

Because of abstracts like this:

"Increasing evidence suggests that the postprandial state is a contributing factor to the development of atherosclerosis. In diabetes, the postprandial phase is characterized by a rapid and large increase in blood glucose levels, and the possibility that the postprandial “hyperglycemic spikes” may be relevant to the onset of cardiovascular complications has recently received much attention. Epidemiological studies and preliminary intervention studies have shown that postprandial hyperglycemia is a direct and independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD). Most of the cardiovascular risk factors are modified in the postprandial phase in diabetic subjects and directly affected by an acute increase of glycemia. The mechanisms through which acute hyperglycemia exerts its effects may be identified in the production of free radicals. This alarmingly suggestive body of evidence for a harmful effect of postprandial hyperglycemia on diabetes complications has been sufficient to influence guidelines from key professional scientific societies. Correcting the postprandial hyperglycemia may form part of the strategy for the prevention and management of CVDs in diabetes."

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/54/1/1.short

But maybe I'm failing to understand something?

This is talking about hyperglycemia - high blood sugar - which is definitely linked to health problems.

Insulin spikes are not, as far as I know, unless a diabetic has miscalculated their bolus, and ends up hypoglycemic - dangerously low blood sugar. The spikes of insulin from protein intake or exercise pose no risks to health that I'm aware of.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Type 1 diabetes occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks and kills the beta cells of the pancreas. No, or very little, insulin is released into the body

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body can’t properly use the insulin that is released, or releases too little insulin.

About 90% of diabetics are type II. It is possible to have both types.

In both types of diabetes, prolonged high circulating blood sugars can cause damage to various body systems - kidneys, vascular/cardiac, vision.

For some diabetics, taking insulin allows normal metabolism of sugars.

Others can control their diabetes through diet, exercise, or other medications.

Many things cause insulin spikes (including protein and exercise), and naturally-produced insulin spikes do not appear to cause harm to the body in healthy individuals (although diabetics taking insulin must calculate their dosage carefully). Hypoglycemia is a topic for another thread.

Other things can be converted to sugar in the blood, like high intakes of protein. Getting a handle on insulin resistance, through managing weight, exercise, diet, tracking/limiting carbs (for some), and sometimes medications, is key to managing type II diabetes, not the complete elimination of carbs, which can have problematic side effects.

Low-carb diets work for some, but not all.

Source for some info used: http://www.diabetes.ca/about-diabetes/what-is-diabetes

Thanks! So low carb could work for some, others might do better controlling their blood sugar other ways and can do so. Regardless, avoiding insulin spikes is good, right?

Exercise, though? Seriously? I didn't want to learn that one! (Diabetes runs heavily in my family, I'm doing my best to stay off that road, so this subject is important to me.)

I'm not sure why you think insulin spikes are dangerous, when naturally produced by the body. Some people find it easier to manage cravings when they avoid glucose spikes (eat fiber, pair carbs with protein, switch in lower GI foods for higher GI foods), but that is a separate issue. Insulin helps regulate blood sugar levels in healthy people, and controls amino acid uptake by cells (can increase protein synthesis). If you have research supporting that insulin spikes produced by the body are dangerous, I would be interested in seeing it. All evidence points to exercise being beneficial for insulin sensitivity.

Because of abstracts like this:

"Increasing evidence suggests that the postprandial state is a contributing factor to the development of atherosclerosis. In diabetes, the postprandial phase is characterized by a rapid and large increase in blood glucose levels, and the possibility that the postprandial “hyperglycemic spikes” may be relevant to the onset of cardiovascular complications has recently received much attention. Epidemiological studies and preliminary intervention studies have shown that postprandial hyperglycemia is a direct and independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD). Most of the cardiovascular risk factors are modified in the postprandial phase in diabetic subjects and directly affected by an acute increase of glycemia. The mechanisms through which acute hyperglycemia exerts its effects may be identified in the production of free radicals. This alarmingly suggestive body of evidence for a harmful effect of postprandial hyperglycemia on diabetes complications has been sufficient to influence guidelines from key professional scientific societies. Correcting the postprandial hyperglycemia may form part of the strategy for the prevention and management of CVDs in diabetes."

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/54/1/1.short

But maybe I'm failing to understand something?

This is talking about hyperglycemia - high blood sugar - which is definitely linked to health problems.

Insulin spikes are not, as far as I know, unless a diabetic has miscalculated their bolus, and ends up hypoglycemic - dangerously low blood sugar. The spikes of insulin from protein intake or exercise pose no risks to health that I'm aware of.

Thanks, someone helpfully straightened this out for me earlier. I think I have it sorted somewhat now. Much to my relief, as I'm currently a beef eating runner. Albeit a very slow runner.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Thanks, someone helpfully straightened this out for me earlier. I think I have it sorted somewhat now. Much to my relief, as I'm currently a beef eating runner. Albeit a very slow runner.

Jolinia, I just have to say I enjoyed discussing this with you. You had questions; did research, read other's research links, and tried to understand it; asked for clarification where you thought you might be misunderstanding something; and accepted correction when others pointed out that you were mixing a couple of things up. Not blindly accepting correction, but looking to see where you might be confused. If only everyone were like this!

• Jolinia
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Jolinia, I just have to say I enjoyed discussing this with you. You had questions; did research, read other's research links, and tried to understand it; asked for clarification where you thought you might be misunderstanding something; and accepted correction when others pointed out that you were mixing a couple of things up. Not blindly accepting correction, but looking to see where you might be confused. If only everyone were like this!

Thanks, I've appreciated you helping me out with some of it, too! I've learned lots in this thread, though I still don't have the full picture. But then again, neither do the PhD experts from what I'm reading. They're still learning, so I should keep struggling along to learn, too. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe people become pre-diabetic because they're eating half a container of Ben and Jerry's every night or guzzling Coke, for goodness sakes. Get your sugar levels down to normal levels, and enjoy some oatmeal.

Is this what you did?

I continue to think that your constant assumptions that we are all gorging ourselves on sweets and soda (no one recommends drinking sugary soda around here that I've ever seen, at least not unless you really love it and in limited quantities) and that we need to be hit over the head with how bad it is must be a form of projection. Is that what you want to do or did until recently? If so, maybe you should stop assuming that everyone else suffers from the same lack of restraint or lack of common sense.

Either that or you just really buy into the disgusting assumptions that all overweight or formerly overweight people spend every free moment stuffing their faces with stereotypically high calorie foods and never eat vegetables. Very nice.

Maybe one day you will move away from the weird stereotypes and assumptions and extreme hypotheticals and have a real discussion.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Where did PrettyKitty go?

Still here. I agree with you now. If you are pre-diabetic, drink as many sugary drinks as you want, so long as you don't go over your calorie limit. Enjoy a donut too. Sugar makes no difference in a disease that is caused by too much blood sugar. It's all about calories. Calories In, Calories Out.

One more time: diabetes is not CAUSED by too much blood sugar. It is caused by an underperforming pancreas which makes the body not deal with carbs very well. Too much blood sugar is the main SYMPTOM of the disease. Since it cannot be cured, all one can do is treat the symptoms, which means controlling blood sugar.