Sugars

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

If you are diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which I'm not even sure I believe in because sugar does not cause diabetes, why would you not make carb/sugar moderation a lifetime goal?

"Pre-diabetic" just means that your body is not handling glucose as well as it should, but it isn't as bad as full blown diabetes. It is measured by the A1C test, which measures your average blood glucose over the previous 3 months. An A1C under 6 means that your body is producing enough insulin to handle the glucose. Between 6 and 7 is labeled "pre-diabetic" because your body isn't handling the glucose well, but it has not reached the levels that can cause damage. Over 7 is diabetic and means that your glucose levels are high enough to cause damage and you need to get them down ASAP.

Basically, anyone who is pre diabetic needs to start controlling serum glucose levels while they can or else they will keep rising and get into the danger territory.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

I don't know, am I? I'm asking. Okay, it works like this, right:

Body takes in carbs of any kind or takes in too much protein, and turns it into glucose. So the pancreas releases insulin to deal with the glucose. In a healthy person, no worries. In an unhealthy person, the pancreas doesn't work as well so the blood continues to have high levels of glucose in it.

Either way, dumping a lot of what the body turns into glucose into someone with a malfunctioning pancreas seems like a bad idea.

I didn't cheat and google that, someone please feel free to point, laugh, and correct me if I got it wrong. I'm trying to get it down correctly.

You basically just described T2D and it is managed by reducing the glucose in the bloodstream either by diet and exercise, medication, or insulin injections. Some of your other posts were talking about the dangers of insulin spikes and Mr M27 posted a link that explains why insulin spikes aren't dangerous but you seemed to refute it. I am just wondering if you are saying insulin when you meant glucose.

Well his article wasn't for diabetics. And if I take in massive amounts of carbs or protein that convert to glucose, isn't it still going to mean my pancreas is going to release a lot of insulin, hence a spike?

Okay, going to google, though, since I'm mixing up my terminology either way. Thanks!

Right. His article addresses your belief that insulin spikes are bad for a body. He posted an article saying they are not. Glucose and insulin are not the same.

Diabetics have to watch their glucose/sugar levels. Glucose is absorbed by the body from high sugar foods/carbs, which is why diabetics have to watch sugar/carb intake. Insulin is responsible for reducing the concentration of glucose in the blood. .
  • SLLRunner
    Options

If you are diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which I'm not even sure I believe in because sugar does not cause diabetes, why would you not make carb/sugar moderation a lifetime goal?

"Pre-diabetic" just means that your body is not handling glucose as well as it should, but it isn't as bad as full blown diabetes. It is measured by the A1C test, which measures your average blood glucose over the previous 3 months. An A1C under 6 means that your body is producing enough insulin to handle the glucose. Between 6 and 7 is labeled "pre-diabetic" because your body isn't handling the glucose well, but it has not reached the levels that can cause damage. Over 7 is diabetic and means that your glucose levels are high enough to cause damage and you need to get them down ASAP.

Basically, anyone who is pre diabetic needs to start controlling serum glucose levels while they can or else they will keep rising and get into the danger territory.
    Thank you, that is an excellent explanation. It makes a lot of sense.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Does anyone still think PrettyKitty is a genuine account?

Seriously?

I actually do. I really think she actually believes the things she writes. It goes with the first thread she made when she came here and it was a disaster.

Yes, I do believe what I write. Pre-diabetic? ZERO SUGAR!
    So no fruits, vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal or whole grain bread?

Vegetables are fine. And this is not a change for the rest of your life, it's a change to hopefully have your doctor tell you that you are no longer pre-diabetic. Once your OK, eat fruit, brown rice, oatmeal and whole grain bread. And yes, I am basing this on anecdotal evidence.

From this article: http://ask.metafilter.com/237108/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Prediabetes

"Today, you begin a life with very very little bread. And very little pasta, rice, and crackers. Today you stop eating cookies, and for God's sakes please put down the donut and the cake and basically anything that comes in a shiny brightly colored bag that you can buy at the pharmacy or gas station."

"Eat nuts, eat lean meats, eat all the vegetables (besides potatoes) that you want. Eat plain yogurt with berries. Eggs are good for you. Get used to Truvia, Splenda, erithryitol if you simply must have something sweet. AVOID all the crappy "sugar-free" candies that use sugar alcohols, as stuff like Maltitol has about the same glycemic impact as table sugar."

Now let the attacks from the usual suspects begin.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Like Auddii already said, you stop eating them now to eliminate the possibility of getting diabetes but then after you've done that you can eat them again? Because suddenly you'll become immune to any negative effects you think those foods had in the first place?

You think people attack you because we like to, but in reality it's because you say a lot of things that don't make sense and are constantly making things up.

Also, carbs don't cause diabetes.

You can eat anything in moderation, correct? A bowl of oatmeal every morning is not going to make you pre-diabetic.

Maybe people become pre-diabetic because they're eating half a container of Ben and Jerry's every night or guzzling Coke, for goodness sakes. Get your sugar levels down to normal levels, and enjoy some oatmeal.

Sugar intake does not cause pre-diabetes, it just makes it worse.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Body takes in carbs of any kind or takes in too much protein, and turns it into glucose. So the pancreas releases insulin to deal with the glucose. In a healthy person, no worries. In an unhealthy person, the pancreas doesn't work as well so the blood continues to have high levels of glucose in it.

Either way, dumping a lot of what the body turns into glucose into someone with a malfunctioning pancreas seems like a bad idea.

I didn't cheat and google that, someone please feel free to point, laugh, and correct me if I got it wrong. I'm trying to get it down correctly.

You basically just described T2D and it is managed by reducing the glucose in the bloodstream either by diet and exercise, medication, or insulin injections. Some of your other posts were talking about the dangers of insulin spikes and Mr M27 posted a link that explains why insulin spikes aren't dangerous but you seemed to refute it. I am just wondering if you are saying insulin when you meant glucose.

Well his article wasn't for diabetics. And if I take in massive amounts of carbs or protein that convert to glucose, isn't it still going to mean my pancreas is going to release a lot of insulin, hence a spike?

Okay, going to google, though, since I'm mixing up my terminology either way. Thanks!

Right. His article addresses your belief that insulin spikes are bad for a body. He posted an article saying they are not. Glucose and insulin are not the same.

Diabetics have to watch their glucose/sugar levels. Glucose is absorbed by the body from high sugar foods/carbs, which is why diabetics have to watch sugar/carb intake. Insulin is responsible for reducing the concentration of glucose in the blood. .

So you want an insulin spike after you eat foods that spike your glucose, because otherwise you have high blood sugar and that causes damage, right?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

So you want an insulin spike after you eat foods that spike your glucose, because otherwise you have high blood sugar and that causes damage, right?

Well, if I eat that piece of cake, an insulin spike would be good. :)
  • earlnabby
    Options

Thank you, that is an excellent explanation. It makes a lot of sense.

You're welcome <3

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Seriously?

I actually do. I really think she actually believes the things she writes. It goes with the first thread she made when she came here and it was a disaster.

Vegetables are fine. And this is not a change for the rest of your life, it's a change to hopefully have your doctor tell you that you are no longer pre-diabetic. Once your OK, eat fruit, brown rice, oatmeal and whole grain bread. And yes, I am basing this on anecdotal evidence.

From this article: http://ask.metafilter.com/237108/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Prediabetes

"Today, you begin a life with very very little bread. And very little pasta, rice, and crackers. Today you stop eating cookies, and for God's sakes please put down the donut and the cake and basically anything that comes in a shiny brightly colored bag that you can buy at the pharmacy or gas station."

"Eat nuts, eat lean meats, eat all the vegetables (besides potatoes) that you want. Eat plain yogurt with berries. Eggs are good for you. Get used to Truvia, Splenda, erithryitol if you simply must have something sweet. AVOID all the crappy "sugar-free" candies that use sugar alcohols, as stuff like Maltitol has about the same glycemic impact as table sugar."

PK,

Come on, any "attacks" are in your perception only, just as the "usual suspects" are. Nobody here is out to get you. ;)

That said, what you've posted is a link to someone's blog entry. There are no links to peer reviewed studies.

If you are diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which I'm not even sure I believe in because sugar does not cause diabetes, why would you not make carb/sugar moderation a lifetime goal? Why just do it for awhile? It seems to me that if you are indeed pre-diabetic and you control your glucose levels through diet but then go back to eating in a way you did before, wouldn't you end up having high glucose levels?

Saying you can be cured of pre-diabetes is like saying you can be cured of diabetes. There is no cure for diabetes, though it can be controlled through sugar/carb moderation, exercise, and insulin pills or injections if needed.

By the way, this is not an attack, it is engaging in conversation based on something you wrote.

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes? Then what does, sautéed chicken breasts? Broccoli?

Too much food among other contributing factors such as lack of exercise and genetics.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Well, if I eat that piece of cake, an insulin spike would be good. :)

Okay. So if someone has a malfunctioning pancreas and isn't releasing enough insulin and that person eats the cake, it's a problem, isn't it?
  • earlnabby
    Options

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes? Then what does, sautéed chicken breasts? Broccoli?

Those who develop diabetes have two or more of the risk factors. The most common (in order) are:
    1. Genetics
    2. Obesity
    3. Age (the pancreas ages just like the rest of us and may become inefficient)
    4. Long Term use of some medications (especially statins and antidepressants)
    5. If your mother had gestational diabetes when carrying you
    6. Some cancers, and some cancer treatments especially when you were a child

You notice that eating sugar is not on the list?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Seriously?

PK,

Come on, any "attacks" are in your perception only, just as the "usual suspects" are. Nobody here is out to get you. ;)

That said, what you've posted is a link to someone's blog entry. There are no links to peer reviewed studies.

If you are diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which I'm not even sure I believe in because sugar does not cause diabetes, why would you not make carb/sugar moderation a lifetime goal? Why just do it for awhile? It seems to me that if you are indeed pre-diabetic and you control your glucose levels through diet but then go back to eating in a way you did before, wouldn't you end up having high glucose levels?

Saying you can be cured of pre-diabetes is like saying you can be cured of diabetes. There is no cure for diabetes, though it can be controlled through sugar/carb moderation, exercise, and insulin pills or injections if needed.

By the way, this is not an attack, it is engaging in conversation based on something you wrote.

If I'm ever diagnosed with pre-diabetes, my sugar and grain consumption will immediately get down to as close to zero as possible, and my consumption of sautéed chicken breasts and broccoli will double.

Just do a little on-line search and you will find so many pre-diabetics who ended the problem with a change in diet. I am not making this up, and have no reason to make this up.

Being overweight and a predisposition (genetics). An overabundance of sugar just makes it worse. That's why you're supposed to keep your sugar under control.

I didn't say you were making anything up, but I think you are are misunderstanding.

Why would I do an online search. Just because people post things does not make them true.

Once diabetic, always diabetic. There is no cure.

Sure, it can often be controlled through proper diet and exercise, but you can't control the outcome. I have two aunts who are diabetic, exercise, eat well with moderated carbs/sugar, and they are both insulin dependent.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Those who develop diabetes have two or more of the risk factors. The most common (in order) are:
    1. Genetics
    2. Obesity
    3. Age (the pancreas ages just like the rest of us and may become inefficient)
    4. Long Term use of some medications (especially statins and antidepressants)
    5. If your mother had gestational diabetes when carrying you
    6. Some cancers, and some cancer treatments especially when you were a child

You notice that eating sugar is not on the list?

This is a great list, and number one is exactly why I decided to lose weight. All five of my dad's sisters are diabetic, two of them insulin dependent.
  • earlnabby
    edited February 2015
    Options

Okay. So if someone has a malfunctioning pancreas and isn't releasing enough insulin and that person eats the cake, it's a problem, isn't it?

It is a problem only in the context of the overall diet (for T2D). A piece of cake will spike the glucose, but it will fall rapidly too. It is when there is constantly heightened glucose in the bloodstream that damage occurs. This is why diabetics live and breathe by their A1C numbers. Taken every 3 months, this lab blood test shows the average glucose in the bloodstream.

Blood glucose tests, taken with a meter, will tell you what is happening at a specific point in time and are helpful to see how certain foods affect the glucose. Many who are on medications or controlled with diet and exercise will test once in the morning, known as a fasting glucose, to see if the glucose is lowering when not eating. Others will test after a meal to see how high that particular food will make the glucose rise, then test again about 2 hours later to see how much it fell. This is all helpful information, but the A1C is the most informative.

A piece of cake isn't a problem for T2D if it is balanced out by lower carb foods the rest of the day.

• earlnabby
    Options

Seriously?

PK,

If I'm ever diagnosed with pre-diabetes, my sugar and grain consumption will immediately get down to as close to zero as possible, and my consumption of sautéed chicken breasts and broccoli will double.

Just do a little on-line search and you will find so many pre-diabetics who ended the problem with a change in diet. I am not making this up, and have no reason to make this up.
    Please please please show us actual evidence, science, not some blog that says sugar specifically causes diabetes.

Show me some science where it says it doesn't. Burden on proof is on you, not me. Diabetes = too much blood sugar. What has sugar, a donut or broccoli?

Both actually.

• earlnabby
    Options

Show me some science where it says it doesn't. Burden on proof is on you, not me. Diabetes = too much blood sugar. What has sugar, a donut or broccoli?

You are confusing the main diagnostic symptom with the cause. Diabetes is where the body does not reduce blood sugar. The CAUSE is an underperforming pancreas and that happens because of the many things mentioned a few posts ago, not because of too much sugar.

It is kind of like saying that the cause of a broken leg is the fact that the two ends of the femur don't come together.