Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Start slow and work your way up! This is one thing that I really like about Stronglifts - it has you start with the empty bar so you can practice good form before it gets heavy (well not all the way empty for deadlifts and rows, but that's because it needs to be off the ground). I do love a work-out buddy though...move to eastern Washington :)

I started with 2.5lbs on each end of the bar for deadlift in January. I knew I had to get that form right or my left knee would be lost to surgery. I still back off weight and work back up every time I have knee pain. I will get to my 160 lifts eventually, but I will not blow out my knee on the way. So, yes, start slow and work your way up.

I started with 55 on the deadlift, I think...up to 65 now, but it's only been two weeks! I'm going to try 75 tonight, my boyfriend said he thinks I can do up to 95 tonight...I appreciate his faith in me lol.

Of course, he's the one who benches 255, so.... :neutral:

My husband teases me that he benches more than I can deadlift. Jerk. <3

My husband doesn't tease me about it, but he has been known to pick up the dog under one arm (a lab) and the 9 year old under the other and carry them through the house. Show off!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Man, all you people who live in the cold places!! I would never make it if I lived there. Living in southeast Texas, I am spoiled to having a few weeks of semicold weather and lots of mild to pretty hot stuff. It does stay humid here most of the time since we are close to the coast, that is probably the worst of it.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to pick one thing on the cake/ice cream front there. I tend to have a very large sweet tooth and once I start, it's hard to stop, so I just try to keep it small. Not always easy. Just check my diary.

I love lifting so if you ladies want to meet anywhere in the middle, I would love to join.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    I took a scoop of peanut butter out of the jar, dumped a few mini chocolate chips in my hand stuck them to the peanutbutter and ate it.... just like that..... after I had a salad for lunch.

I've done that on several occasions! You can never go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter. :smile:
  • levan11
    levan11 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I can do the bolded, oz completely escape me and so does Fahrenheit. I know there is a little equation to figure out Fahrenheit to Celsius but I can never remember it. :confounded:

I cheat o:) I have an app that converts for me so I can convert it quickly and talk to SO about celcius temps like I know what I'm talking about hahaha

Well in my opinion:

0-10C - Cold to chilly (warm jacket)
    10-20C - Chilly to cardigan weather
    20-30C - Cardigan to perfect
    30C + = WAY too hot for me.

26-28C is my perfect weather
    Starts at 0?? Update for Western Canada:
    -0 to -10C - Getting chilly - maybe wear a jacket out. Gloves too, if it's windy. T-shirt ok if it's still and sunny.
    -10 to -15C - Really should wear a jacket. Snow boots too, possibly.
    -15 to -20C - Ok, now it's getting a bit cold. Don't hang around too long outside.
    -20 to -30C - Ugh, Calgary weather! Do not lick lampost. Very fast dog walks.
    -30 to -40C - Time to hibernate with Netflix.
    -40 and colder - YOU DIE!!!!
    -10C (14 F) is "getting chilly?" Oh man. I know I've been living in Canada for four years and all but the winter weather is just terrible. I guess it's even worse in western Canada? :( In the South we would have all been dying at -10 C.

Where I live, by the time March hits and it's only -10, it is tshirt weather.

This is my avatar usually for January.

ohvsubrsyb0e.jpg

This. I hate the cold weather. Wish I could hibernate from December to April lol

Same! This past winter was my first in Tennessee, and it was too cold. Need to move farther south next time. I'm hoping all the people who said this past winter was the worst in a long time weren't just trying to make me feel better. I didn't leave Chicago to have to deal with winter down here too!

Depends on where you are in TN. Here in the mountains the last 3 winters have been exceptionally snowy, but the temps were definitely colder than I recall in LONG time.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the bosses son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

I completely get it. I left a job that I was in for 10 years because I was a "Project Manager", but 2 of the "senior Project Managers" were men with less experience and less expertise of the business. They came to ME for advice on their projects. I told my boss that I wanted the title. He told me I was already paid more than anybody else in the group. I told him I don't care about the money, I want the title or I was going to look for something else.

I wound up leaving.

I make 20% more than I made when I left there, but I would have stayed indefinitely if they would have given me the stinking title.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

I believe that thought would cross my mind as well. That is not even right.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

That sucks large! I would just start quietly looking for something else - don't quit until you have something else.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    @raelynnsmama52512 I'm a little late - but hugs to you!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

Whatever gave you the idea I add fruit for nutrition? It just tastes yummy. LOL. Also, strawberries make it the right color for a red light saber. :)
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

Who hates the smell of popcorn??!!!

That's what I was wondering!
    peleroja wrote: »
    I have a coworker who can be quite snotty and apparently gets offended by smells. And I get it to a point, I also hate strong perfumes and the like. But she complained to me the other day about how "rude" it is that someone made popcorn. Not liking a smell is one thing. Saying someone is rude because of a food seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I brought popcorn for a snack today :naughty:

She would hate my office, we have one of those theatre-style poppers that our social committee uses once every couple months for charity fundraisers and stuff. We pop with coconut oil and that movie-theatre seasoning and It. Smells. Incredible.

Oooh, I would love that.

It's the easiest way to get people to donate to anything, by giving them popcorn in exchange for it. The lure of popcorn is strong in this office (well, food generally, but in what office isn't it?)

Confession: I think popcorn smells way better than it tastes. Like, I'll have a handful now and then but I can't remember the last time I had a bag of it for myself or actually purchased any.

I love to eat popcorn too, but you're right, sometimes the smell is better. I wonder if they make a popcorn scented candle...

I LOVE popcorn. But I rarely eat it anymore. Every time I do my weight is up the next day, even though I don't put butter or salt on it.

I live off popcorn at work. Specifically, CVS house brand called Gold Emblem, I think. It's soooo good and low cal, for popcorn. No weighing issues here.

Popcorn for the win. I eat a big bowl every night!!

I love LOVE L-O-V-E popcorn! I can't handle that microwave stuff though, I make hot air popped with real salted butter. Or popcorn from the movie theatre, I said this early in the thread, but I have been known to go there, buy a bag of popcorn and then come home and eat it.....

I make the air popped too. I use either margarine or baking spray depending on how many calories I have left and then use one of the many many popcorn seasonings I own. Have also tried taco seasoning on it which is also yummy.

Now for a confession. Hope I don't get kicked out of the group but I could take or leave ice cream or cookies for that matter and.....I have never eaten one of those protein bars you guys are always raving about.

Runs away and hides

I don't really care for ice cream either. I REALLY have to be in the mood for it, or have a piece of warm apple/cherry pie or brownie or chocolate cake to put it on. I'm definitely NOT one of those people that can sit down and eat a whole pint (not judging) even if I really like the flavor. It's cold, and makes my stomach hurt. Also, I don't think it's worth the calories. *hides with you*

Cookies, on the other hand, I LOVE cookies. Especially Mr. Mo's warm chocolate chips cookies. He uses the same recipe that Phoebe's grandma used. If you got this reference, we're officially best friends now!

As far as Quest Bars go, I have only just recently (within the last 6 months or a little longer) discovered them. For the amount of calories they contain, they have a really high protein count, and are extremely high in fiber, but don't do me nasty like the Pure Protein ones. Plus, they just taste really delicious...well, most of them do.

Your my new bestie? Yay!! Nestle Toll House for the win :)

I'm making lots of new best friends today. My old best friends are going to be PISSED!!! :wink:

• kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Still behind, but a few observations and questions from page 1295:
    @lilaclovebird - Love the new profile pic!
    @kellyjellybellyjelly - So glad you finally have a profile pic! Love it!
    @Italian_Buju - You've mentioned your daughter's sister before. Just wondering what going on with her pregnancy?
    @orangesmartie - Not sure if you're back yet, but I miss you!
    @Susieq_1994 - I didn't see you mention it. Did the in-laws like the peanut butter pie?
    I'm sure there will be more soon!
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Last night my boyfriend commented on needing new deodorant, and I was surprised because I just bought him some last month. I told him so and he said ''Well... yeah, I need new deodorant every month.'' I told him that I buy deodorant maybe two or three times a year and we had to go look this up on the internet. People were saying their deodorant lasts anywhere from 1-6 months.

HOW LONG DOES YOURS LAST? I swear I can take 6 months to go through deodorant. I think I only buy it twice a year. A month seems outrageous to me. I'm not a very sweaty person, but my deodorant lasts me even after most workouts.

As you can tell I am behind again. If this is a stick (solid) type deodorant, men go through it faster because of the hair in their pits. It rakes more of it off the stick when they apply it. My husband goes through deodorant much faster than I do.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

I don't really care for ice cream either. I REALLY have to be in the mood for it, or have a piece of warm apple/cherry pie or brownie or chocolate cake to put it on. I'm definitely NOT one of those people that can sit down and eat a whole pint (not judging) even if I really like the flavor. It's cold, and makes my stomach hurt. Also, I don't think it's worth the calories. *hides with you*

Cookies, on the other hand, I LOVE cookies. Especially Mr. Mo's warm chocolate chips cookies. He uses the same recipe that Phoebe's grandma used. If you got this reference, we're officially best friends now!

As far as Quest Bars go, I have only just recently (within the last 6 months or a little longer) discovered them. For the amount of calories they contain, they have a really high protein count, and are extremely high in fiber, but don't do me nasty like the Pure Protein ones. Plus, they just taste really delicious...well, most of them do.

LOL @MoHousdon - I totally got that reference. Nestle Touloose... or Nestle Tollhouse.... hee hee Loved Friends. I hope you watched How I Met Your Mother, too, because that show has a LOT of quotable dialogue.

Yay, another new best friend! I DID watch HIMYM and my all-time favorite episodes are the Slapsgiving ones. I still think the mom should have been Victoria. She was my favorite of all of them. Very good show though.

• TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

LOL @MoHousdon - I totally got that reference. Nestle Touloose... or Nestle Tollhouse.... hee hee Loved Friends. I hope you watched How I Met Your Mother, too, because that show has a LOT of quotable dialogue.

Yay, another new best friend! I DID watch HIMYM and my all-time favorite episodes are the Slapsgiving ones. I still think the mom should have been Victoria. She was my favorite of all of them. Very good show though.

I have the Amazon Firestick and I get all the shows on Amazon and Amazon Prime. I need suggestions of series to watch!!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. Although, Monica was a chef, not a baker.

I loved it when she wore the fat suit too. It was the best!

One of my favorite Friends scenes is when Joey wears ALL of Chandler's clothes, while "commando", and starts doing lunges. Hee hee

I also like that episode. "Could I BE wearing any more clothes?!" Another favorite is The One With All the Cheesecakes. At the very end, Joey sees Chandler and Rachel eating cheesecake off the floor, and he sits down, pulls a fork out of his jacket pocket and says, "Alright...what are we having?!" Classic!

• MoHousdon
    Options
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Start slow and work your way up! This is one thing that I really like about Stronglifts - it has you start with the empty bar so you can practice good form before it gets heavy (well not all the way empty for deadlifts and rows, but that's because it needs to be off the ground). I do love a work-out buddy though...move to eastern Washington :)

I started with 2.5lbs on each end of the bar for deadlift in January. I knew I had to get that form right or my left knee would be lost to surgery. I still back off weight and work back up every time I have knee pain. I will get to my 160 lifts eventually, but I will not blow out my knee on the way. So, yes, start slow and work your way up.

I started with 55 on the deadlift, I think...up to 65 now, but it's only been two weeks! I'm going to try 75 tonight, my boyfriend said he thinks I can do up to 95 tonight...I appreciate his faith in me lol.

Of course, he's the one who benches 255, so.... :neutral:

My husband teases me that he benches more than I can deadlift. Jerk. <3

Haha. Yeah Mr. NY said earlier "We'll put 20s on the bar...so you can deadlift 85 and I'll curl it". Jerk.

I'm so lucky that mine has never lifted, and never will because he has major back issues, so he's terrifically impressed (or pretends to be) by my puny little lifts. Apparently he once picked up my bench press bar and said that it was "really heavy"... ummm, 40 lbs?

Although every time I hear "Okay, Miss Muscles..." I know I'm going to be called upon to help lift something heavy, like a transmission. I'm sure he can't wait for the day I can assist with moving an engine block.

I have also been referred to as such.

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!

Plus 1 but your analogy made me laugh
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »

That sucks large! I would just start quietly looking for something else - don't quit until you have something else.

^^this!