Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'll play too:

I have definitely eaten dry hot chocolate mix, but I have also eaten dry cake mix. Yeah.

I have never eaten out of the trash as I'm a bit germophobic. However, I do have a trash-related confession for today: I threw out like 20 kg of my husband's expired protein powder/creatine this weekend without telling him and I have a feeling he's going to be mad when he does notice...but it expired in DECEMBER 2013 and it has been cluttering up my limited pantry space ever since and he has not made a protein shake in at least a year and a half. I don't regret it and I know if I'd asked him he would have been like "but it's so expeeeeeensive..." but it was also going to poison him probably so I don't care.

I've never drowned peanut butter but I've definitely thrown "extra" stuff right down the disposal instead of saving it so there was no chance I could go back and eat more of it.

I wear workout stuff at least twice, as I have only three sports bras, do laundry once weekly, and work out every day but Friday normally.

I've never worn a sauna suit but I did try one of those ab belts once and I also used to have a Thigh Master passed down from my mother, haha.

It probably would've tasted disgusting if he did make one now. You did the right thing :wink:

Right? Not like he would have noticed with all the almond butter, fruit, and yogurt he loads into his smoothies but still, it can't have been good. I know it was powder but it's still kinda dairy and if it had an expiry on it that probably means something...especially a nearly two-year-old expiry.

I'm glad I married a guy who's responsible with his money but sometimes I have to shake my head and tell him it's okay to get rid of stuff that's unusable even if it was expensive. I refuse to let him turn into a hoarder like I worry certain members of his family are headed.

For what it is worth, the health dept and USDA let us serve canned foods/dry goods at the soup kitchen for a year after it's "expiration" date. I think it's 6 months for frozen foods, but don't quote me on that. The protein powder needed to go.

Interesting. I tend to look at the "best by date" as a suggestion anyway.

There's a lot of research out there that suggests exactly that - that "best before" doesn't mean "inedible after" - but I'm pretty conservative with it and will toss anything I'm remotely suspicious about, especially dairy. My boss has been known to eat yogurt weeks past its expiry from her office fridge and I would NEVER. I clean out the fridge weekly and very little that's past date is ever allowed to remain. I'm aware that it's wasteful but I just can't deal with it. I do try really hard not to throw out food though and use everything FIFO like a restaurant walk-in ;)

I will eat things like yogurt past the best before date if it was unopened & doesn't smell/look bad. I use the best before as a suggestion as well - besides, just because that date hasn't passed doesn't automatically mean it's good. I've opened milk and it's been bad, even though it was days before the expiry.

I've eaten yogurt weeks past the best before date. I survived!
    It's like my mom once told me, the food can't read the label. It's not as if when that date gets here, the food is suddenly spoiled. The manufacturers have to be very conservative in the dates they put on the packaging.

I like what your mom said. Also, I get very, maybe even irrationally angry when milk expires before its expiration date. This tends to happen more with from a certain store, but it's still highly upsetting. Anyone else feel me on this?

Ha! I wonder if that store doesn't have their refrigerator set cold enough?
    I gave up and started using almond milk. It lasts a long time before expiring...

My favorite is the Cashew Milk that is 25 calories. I hate, hate, hate wasting my calories on drinks when I could be eating more food.
    I love it too!

What I've noticed with soy, almond, coconut, and cashew milk it that the cartons say on the side that they will stay fresh for 7-10 days after opening. So I always toss it after 10 if I haven't finished it yet...although I usually can finish it by then. To those of you that mentioned it lasts forever, do your cartons not say this or do you just ignore it and go by smell/taste?

I don't think I've ever noticed that on my cartons before. I usually go by smell & taste. I am so horrible at buying a few Almond/Cashew milks, & then forgetting they're in the basement refrigerator.

Lately, I've been using Walden Farms Caramel Syrup & mixing it with the milk.

I was excited to see they had the Egg Nogs back, & bought one of the Silk Soy Nogs.

OMG, I hope this is a thing in Canada!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

I have definitely eaten dry hot chocolate mix, but I have also eaten dry cake mix. Yeah.

I have never eaten out of the trash as I'm a bit germophobic. However, I do have a trash-related confession for today: I threw out like 20 kg of my husband's expired protein powder/creatine this weekend without telling him and I have a feeling he's going to be mad when he does notice...but it expired in DECEMBER 2013 and it has been cluttering up my limited pantry space ever since and he has not made a protein shake in at least a year and a half. I don't regret it and I know if I'd asked him he would have been like "but it's so expeeeeeensive..." but it was also going to poison him probably so I don't care.

I've never drowned peanut butter but I've definitely thrown "extra" stuff right down the disposal instead of saving it so there was no chance I could go back and eat more of it.

I wear workout stuff at least twice, as I have only three sports bras, do laundry once weekly, and work out every day but Friday normally.

I've never worn a sauna suit but I did try one of those ab belts once and I also used to have a Thigh Master passed down from my mother, haha.

It probably would've tasted disgusting if he did make one now. You did the right thing :wink:

Right? Not like he would have noticed with all the almond butter, fruit, and yogurt he loads into his smoothies but still, it can't have been good. I know it was powder but it's still kinda dairy and if it had an expiry on it that probably means something...especially a nearly two-year-old expiry.

I'm glad I married a guy who's responsible with his money but sometimes I have to shake my head and tell him it's okay to get rid of stuff that's unusable even if it was expensive. I refuse to let him turn into a hoarder like I worry certain members of his family are headed.

For what it is worth, the health dept and USDA let us serve canned foods/dry goods at the soup kitchen for a year after it's "expiration" date. I think it's 6 months for frozen foods, but don't quote me on that. The protein powder needed to go.

There's a lot of research out there that suggests exactly that - that "best before" doesn't mean "inedible after" - but I'm pretty conservative with it and will toss anything I'm remotely suspicious about, especially dairy. My boss has been known to eat yogurt weeks past its expiry from her office fridge and I would NEVER. I clean out the fridge weekly and very little that's past date is ever allowed to remain. I'm aware that it's wasteful but I just can't deal with it. I do try really hard not to throw out food though and use everything FIFO like a restaurant walk-in ;)

I will eat things like yogurt past the best before date if it was unopened & doesn't smell/look bad. I use the best before as a suggestion as well - besides, just because that date hasn't passed doesn't automatically mean it's good. I've opened milk and it's been bad, even though it was days before the expiry.

It's like my mom once told me, the food can't read the label. It's not as if when that date gets here, the food is suddenly spoiled. The manufacturers have to be very conservative in the dates they put on the packaging.

I like what your mom said. Also, I get very, maybe even irrationally angry when milk expires before its expiration date. This tends to happen more with from a certain store, but it's still highly upsetting. Anyone else feel me on this?

I gave up and started using almond milk. It lasts a long time before expiring...

My favorite is the Cashew Milk that is 25 calories. I hate, hate, hate wasting my calories on drinks when I could be eating more food.
    I love it too!

What I've noticed with soy, almond, coconut, and cashew milk it that the cartons say on the side that they will stay fresh for 7-10 days after opening. So I always toss it after 10 if I haven't finished it yet...although I usually can finish it by then. To those of you that mentioned it lasts forever, do your cartons not say this or do you just ignore it and go by smell/taste?

The cartons do say that, but I usually go over a few days. They smell alright, but I'm not really sure what they smell like when they're bad, so I just hope for the best lol.
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    We left a half gallon of organic milk opened in the fridge. We returned 3 months later from vacation and it was still good. My husband refuses to pay any attention to dates and will absolutely eat or use anything that looks/ smells good.

Mine too... some times I think he is going to die from some random old stuff he eats, but it never affects him.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    I confess I thought I was going to throw my Fitbit tonight at work. For some reason it got stuck on 10,000 steps, & it took forever for it to start registering more steps. GIMME my STEPS DARNIT!

Argh. That is the worst especially when it is a good step day. Mine keeps dying every two days or so even though the app says it should still have about half a battery left. It isn't that old but I'm nervous that it isn't going to last much longer. Seems like the battery may be going already. I keep meaning to carry the charger with me so I can charge it at work if needed.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    I can't eat any of the chocolate-y Quest Bars; they wreak havoc on my insides.

Do you remember my post about the Pure Protein bars?! I have flashbacks every time I just look at a box of them. :#

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    They changed the Quest Bar formula recently.

I noticed this in the last cookie dough bar I purchased. :disappointed:

I tried a sample of the protein powder a while back and love it. I'm debating picking some up on Black Friday
  • FroggyBug
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Okay, ya'll, I finally broke down and ordered a variety pack of Quest bars from Amazon. I tried the chocolate peanut butter one this morning and i was not impressed. I could definitely taste.the stevia more than the chocolate. However, my husband liked the coconut one - I am allergic to coconuts so definitely wasn't eating it. I am going to try one of the fruit flavors next and hope it's better.

My personal favourites are the Apple Pie, Banana Nut Muffin, Cinnamon Roll ones (and I guess the connecting factor there is "cinnamon"...) I've never had the peanut ones because my husband is super allergic and I don't want to accidentally kill him with kisses or something, lol.

I think most people like the cookie dough and white chocolate raspberry a lot, so those are safe bets too. Did you stick it in the microwave for 15 seconds? That seriously improves them too.

Yea I'm not a fan of the peanut butter ones. I love the cookie dough one (my favorite), cookies and creme and cinnamon roll. Those are my basic go to flavors. Oh and edited to add: vanilla almond is tasty as well and another go to for me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    I confess I thought I was going to throw my Fitbit tonight at work. For some reason it got stuck on 10,000 steps, & it took forever for it to start registering more steps. GIMME my STEPS DARNIT!

Argh. That is the worst especially when it is a good step day. Mine keeps dying every two days or so even though the app says it should still have about half a battery left. It isn't that old but I'm nervous that it isn't going to last much longer. Seems like the battery may be going already. I keep meaning to carry the charger with me so I can charge it at work if needed.
    Have you tried contacting their customer service about this? They're pretty good about replacing units if needed.
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    Okay, ya'll, I finally broke down and ordered a variety pack of Quest bars from Amazon. I tried the chocolate peanut butter one this morning and i was not impressed. I could definitely taste.the stevia more than the chocolate. However, my husband liked the coconut one - I am allergic to coconuts so definitely wasn't eating it. I am going to try one of the fruit flavors next and hope it's better.

My personal favourites are the Apple Pie, Banana Nut Muffin, Cinnamon Roll ones (and I guess the connecting factor there is "cinnamon"...) I've never had the peanut ones because my husband is super allergic and I don't want to accidentally kill him with kisses or something, lol.

I think most people like the cookie dough and white chocolate raspberry a lot, so those are safe bets too. Did you stick it in the microwave for 15 seconds? That seriously improves them too.

Yes, I microwaved it after the first bite. I don't think I could've choked it down if I hadn't. I usually like peanut butter anything, but maybe I will find one I like in the bunch.
    On the plus side, I replaced my usual granola bar with it and have not need a morning snack yet. I usually eat something else around 9:45.

They are very good for this, even the not so tasty ones.

We've not found ANY of the peanut butter ones appealing. I second the cinnamon roll and banana nut muffin ones though. Apple pie I'm hit or miss, but I don't hate it. I also really like the vanilla almond crunch, but you just mentioned a nut allergy. Are almonds okay? (I hope so since they're in ALL the bars!)

The ONLY peanut butter one I like is the peanut butter supreme. My other favorites (as stated many, many times) are cinnamon roll, cookies and cream, s'mores, cookie dough (is okay), and vanilla almond crunch. Mr. Mo and the daughter are in love with the pumpkin pie ones, but I don't like anything about them except the crunchy texture. I also do not care for the banana nut muffin (think it tastes like vomit) or the apple pie. And do not even get me started on the lemon cream pie. ( @quiksylver296 and I have gone back and forth on this as this is her favorite) Blech!

You know I hate lemon cream pie too, despite being a huge lemon lover. Totally tastes like Mr. Clean or something to me.

We're fighting about the banana one though. I love that one. Sigh.

I think the only one I haven't tried besides the peanut ones is Mixed Berry - has anyone tried it?

I'm getting progressively pickier about the chocolate ones too. I like s'mores, cookie dough, and cookies & cream well enough but I've only been buying boxes of double chocolate chunk and mint chocolate lately. I think it's the way they taste with my coffee in the morning that works for me.

Mixed berry is my husband's favorite, and I don't like it. AND, YES, Lemon Cream Pie (aka Pledge flavor @MoHousdon) is my all-time favorite. And @lbuehler89 likes it, too! :D

Seriously, different strokes for different folks on the Quest bar topic. Speaking of, Quest has a SALTED CARAMEL protein powder that I need to try!!!

I was so excited for the salted caramel flavor but it was just okay in my opinion. Hopefully you guys like it better than I did.

I just use vanilla or chocolate flavor.
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    crosbylee wrote: »
    My version of the Confessions Bingo!!

I have only used dry mix to top ice cream.
    I have taken something back out of the trash, it was still in the unopened original container.
    I like PB, but not enough to need to drown a jar, Nutella, that might be possible.
    I wear work out clothes once usually, the bra sometimes gets two rounds.
    I have not worn a sauna suit, but I have an ab belt type thing, no electrodes there, and have tried just about every diet aside from the Jenny Craig type stuff and surgery. Quick Weight Loss actually works, but it is impossible to eat like that the rest of your life....

Oh goodness. Just off the top of my head, I've tried:

Weight Watchers
    Seattle Sutton
    The "T Factor" diet (way back when I was a teenager, 5'8" and 120 lbs.
    Grapefruit diet
    Atkins
    Nutrisystem
    Diet pills (back when they had ephedra in them)

I've never done anything except for MFP when I actually had weight that I needed to lose. All of that craziness was when I was trying to lose those "pesky 5 lbs".

I have done Atkins, Slim Fast, some kind of 10 day diet that required me to eat beets.... I would literally hang over the sink gagging trying to get those things down, tried the Raspberry Ketones, HCG (worked great, I am a fan of this if I could KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF), starving myself, starving myself with Dexatrim (when it was good it was AMAZING), and something recently with a bunch of pills you had to take, I can't remember what....

I have also bought Jane Fonda's workout tapes, the thigh master, PX90, Tapout, paid for multiple gyms, and paid for 5 days a week of cross fit for a year, that i probably went to 2x a week for 3 months. The money I have spent on dieting and exercise....

The best thing that has worked the longest?

MFP, Walking and you guys. <3<3<3

Ugh the beets thing...I never did that but this post reminded me that I tried to do the vinegar thing (where people drink vinegar to help lose weight). I could NOT drink that stuff without gagging. I gave up. I hate the smell/test of apple cider vinegar.

I've tried slim fast, some stupid diet pills, I own a treadmill that works as an extra space to hang clothes of course, and bought tapes etc. Only thing that has ever worked was counting calories for me.

For a second I read "bought tapes" and thought of tapeWORMS, like those old urban legends about tapeworm diet pills. Ewwwwwww!!!

Hahaha gross. :) Glad I've never done that.
  • FroggyBug
    edited October 2015
    Options

Have you tried contacting their customer service about this? They're pretty good about replacing units if needed.

I haven't just because it is old (but not OLD old haha). But maybe it's worth an ask to see what they think. Thanks!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

Yes, I microwaved it after the first bite. I don't think I could've choked it down if I hadn't. I usually like peanut butter anything, but maybe I will find one I like in the bunch.
    On the plus side, I replaced my usual granola bar with it and have not need a morning snack yet. I usually eat something else around 9:45.

We've not found ANY of the peanut butter ones appealing. I second the cinnamon roll and banana nut muffin ones though. Apple pie I'm hit or miss, but I don't hate it. I also really like the vanilla almond crunch, but you just mentioned a nut allergy. Are almonds okay? (I hope so since they're in ALL the bars!)

The ONLY peanut butter one I like is the peanut butter supreme. My other favorites (as stated many, many times) are cinnamon roll, cookies and cream, s'mores, cookie dough (is okay), and vanilla almond crunch. Mr. Mo and the daughter are in love with the pumpkin pie ones, but I don't like anything about them except the crunchy texture. I also do not care for the banana nut muffin (think it tastes like vomit) or the apple pie. And do not even get me started on the lemon cream pie. ( @quiksylver296 and I have gone back and forth on this as this is her favorite) Blech!

You know I hate lemon cream pie too, despite being a huge lemon lover. Totally tastes like Mr. Clean or something to me.

I think the only one I haven't tried besides the peanut ones is Mixed Berry - has anyone tried it?

I'm getting progressively pickier about the chocolate ones too. I like s'mores, cookie dough, and cookies & cream well enough but I've only been buying boxes of double chocolate chunk and mint chocolate lately. I think it's the way they taste with my coffee in the morning that works for me.

I found this flavor to be very seedy and dry. And by seedy, I mean, I felt like I was chewing on beads trying to chomp up the raspberry or whatever seeds are in there. Not worth it to me.

I may have to try the double chocolate chunk again, because that one was the first one I tried and I liked it well enough if I remember right.

I have this problem with the white chocolate raspberry one.
  • CountessKitteh
    Options

This is my life. ;)
  • CountessKitteh
    Options

Mixed berry is my husband's favorite, and I don't like it. AND, YES, Lemon Cream Pie (aka Pledge flavor @MoHousdon) is my all-time favorite. And @lbuehler89 likes it, too! :D

Seriously, different strokes for different folks on the Quest bar topic. Speaking of, Quest has a SALTED CARAMEL protein powder that I need to try!!!

I really, really want this but I'm not allowing myself to buy it until I finish all of the protein powder I already have at home. You'd think that would motivate me, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut no.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I haven't tried the new formula bars with the exception of the Quest Pumpkin Pie (way too sweet & doesn't taste much like pumpkin). My three favorite flavors are Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cookies & Cream, & White Chocolate Raspberry.

My least favorite were the Coconut Cashew & Lemon Cream Pie Quest (tasted like Pledge).

One of my new favorite bars at the moment are the Combat Crunch Birthday Cake

picture0822151335_3.jpg

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Confession: I ate a cookie for breakfast! In my defense, my mom baked cookies for Law Enforcement Appreciation week and sent them to work with me. Her feelings would have been hurt if I didn't have (at least) one, right? :p

Your mom might have had you locked up for not eating one of her cookies ;). So it's good you erred on the side of caution & ate it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    I'll play too:

I love it too!

I don't think I've ever noticed that on my cartons before. I usually go by smell & taste. I am so horrible at buying a few Almond/Cashew milks, & then forgetting they're in the basement refrigerator.

Lately, I've been using Walden Farms Caramel Syrup & mixing it with the milk.

I was excited to see they had the Egg Nogs back, & bought one of the Silk Soy Nogs.

OMG, I hope this is a thing in Canada!

I tried looking on the Silk Canadian site to see if they had it listed, but I couldn't find it on their page.

I know I bought mine at a local grocery store & then seen it cheaper at a local Wal-Mart (grr), so you might have luck at your Wal-Mart.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

The bars that wreaked havoc on my insides were the Atkins bars. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough were tasty, but the flatulence & stink that came out of my butt was so not worth it! I am surprised I didn't die or kill other people from the stench that repeatedly left my butt.
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have a mild allergy to hazelnuts so I don't drink the nut based beverages. (Sorry, my grandparents were dairy farmers. That's not milk.) I have a full blown, hives every time allergy to soybeans so I avoid that religiously. I do use the UHT milk occasionally, because it lasts a year on my pantry shelf. I keep it for emergencies. Read: Those morning when a teenager used all the milk in the fridge at midnight and the other teen and the 9 year old need milk for breakfast.

I have the same issue with soy products, and I just don't like hives! One time I bought a different brand of body wash and the first time I used it I broke out ALL OVER in hives, sure enough, it had soy on the label and I did not see it!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    One of my new favorite bars at the moment are the Combat Crunch Birthday Cake

picture0822151335_3.jpg

Ohhh, bet I'd love those! And I'm just as sure I'd never find any sold near me.