Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I'll play too:

I have definitely eaten dry hot chocolate mix, but I have also eaten dry cake mix. Yeah.

I have never eaten out of the trash as I'm a bit germophobic. However, I do have a trash-related confession for today: I threw out like 20 kg of my husband's expired protein powder/creatine this weekend without telling him and I have a feeling he's going to be mad when he does notice...but it expired in DECEMBER 2013 and it has been cluttering up my limited pantry space ever since and he has not made a protein shake in at least a year and a half. I don't regret it and I know if I'd asked him he would have been like "but it's so expeeeeeensive..." but it was also going to poison him probably so I don't care.

I've never drowned peanut butter but I've definitely thrown "extra" stuff right down the disposal instead of saving it so there was no chance I could go back and eat more of it.

I wear workout stuff at least twice, as I have only three sports bras, do laundry once weekly, and work out every day but Friday normally.

I've never worn a sauna suit but I did try one of those ab belts once and I also used to have a Thigh Master passed down from my mother, haha.

It probably would've tasted disgusting if he did make one now. You did the right thing :wink:

Right? Not like he would have noticed with all the almond butter, fruit, and yogurt he loads into his smoothies but still, it can't have been good. I know it was powder but it's still kinda dairy and if it had an expiry on it that probably means something...especially a nearly two-year-old expiry.

I'm glad I married a guy who's responsible with his money but sometimes I have to shake my head and tell him it's okay to get rid of stuff that's unusable even if it was expensive. I refuse to let him turn into a hoarder like I worry certain members of his family are headed.

For what it is worth, the health dept and USDA let us serve canned foods/dry goods at the soup kitchen for a year after it's "expiration" date. I think it's 6 months for frozen foods, but don't quote me on that. The protein powder needed to go.

Interesting. I tend to look at the "best by date" as a suggestion anyway.

There's a lot of research out there that suggests exactly that - that "best before" doesn't mean "inedible after" - but I'm pretty conservative with it and will toss anything I'm remotely suspicious about, especially dairy. My boss has been known to eat yogurt weeks past its expiry from her office fridge and I would NEVER. I clean out the fridge weekly and very little that's past date is ever allowed to remain. I'm aware that it's wasteful but I just can't deal with it. I do try really hard not to throw out food though and use everything FIFO like a restaurant walk-in ;)

I will eat things like yogurt past the best before date if it was unopened & doesn't smell/look bad. I use the best before as a suggestion as well - besides, just because that date hasn't passed doesn't automatically mean it's good. I've opened milk and it's been bad, even though it was days before the expiry.

I've eaten yogurt weeks past the best before date. I survived!
    It's like my mom once told me, the food can't read the label. It's not as if when that date gets here, the food is suddenly spoiled. The manufacturers have to be very conservative in the dates they put on the packaging.

I like what your mom said. Also, I get very, maybe even irrationally angry when milk expires before its expiration date. This tends to happen more with from a certain store, but it's still highly upsetting. Anyone else feel me on this?

I rarely buy milk at all so this isn't usually an issue for me. My husband and I don't drink it so I only have it when I'm making cream sauces. Does it happen a lot?

We've stopped buying regular cow's milk, and usually buy the more expensive stuff with the extended date. My brain is taking a nap right now, and I can't think of what it's called, but it has happened on several occasions. This has also happened with sour cream.

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

I have definitely eaten dry hot chocolate mix, but I have also eaten dry cake mix. Yeah.

I have never eaten out of the trash as I'm a bit germophobic. However, I do have a trash-related confession for today: I threw out like 20 kg of my husband's expired protein powder/creatine this weekend without telling him and I have a feeling he's going to be mad when he does notice...but it expired in DECEMBER 2013 and it has been cluttering up my limited pantry space ever since and he has not made a protein shake in at least a year and a half. I don't regret it and I know if I'd asked him he would have been like "but it's so expeeeeeensive..." but it was also going to poison him probably so I don't care.

I've never drowned peanut butter but I've definitely thrown "extra" stuff right down the disposal instead of saving it so there was no chance I could go back and eat more of it.

I wear workout stuff at least twice, as I have only three sports bras, do laundry once weekly, and work out every day but Friday normally.

I've never worn a sauna suit but I did try one of those ab belts once and I also used to have a Thigh Master passed down from my mother, haha.

It probably would've tasted disgusting if he did make one now. You did the right thing :wink:

Right? Not like he would have noticed with all the almond butter, fruit, and yogurt he loads into his smoothies but still, it can't have been good. I know it was powder but it's still kinda dairy and if it had an expiry on it that probably means something...especially a nearly two-year-old expiry.

I'm glad I married a guy who's responsible with his money but sometimes I have to shake my head and tell him it's okay to get rid of stuff that's unusable even if it was expensive. I refuse to let him turn into a hoarder like I worry certain members of his family are headed.

For what it is worth, the health dept and USDA let us serve canned foods/dry goods at the soup kitchen for a year after it's "expiration" date. I think it's 6 months for frozen foods, but don't quote me on that. The protein powder needed to go.

There's a lot of research out there that suggests exactly that - that "best before" doesn't mean "inedible after" - but I'm pretty conservative with it and will toss anything I'm remotely suspicious about, especially dairy. My boss has been known to eat yogurt weeks past its expiry from her office fridge and I would NEVER. I clean out the fridge weekly and very little that's past date is ever allowed to remain. I'm aware that it's wasteful but I just can't deal with it. I do try really hard not to throw out food though and use everything FIFO like a restaurant walk-in ;)

I will eat things like yogurt past the best before date if it was unopened & doesn't smell/look bad. I use the best before as a suggestion as well - besides, just because that date hasn't passed doesn't automatically mean it's good. I've opened milk and it's been bad, even though it was days before the expiry.

It's like my mom once told me, the food can't read the label. It's not as if when that date gets here, the food is suddenly spoiled. The manufacturers have to be very conservative in the dates they put on the packaging.

I like what your mom said. Also, I get very, maybe even irrationally angry when milk expires before its expiration date. This tends to happen more with from a certain store, but it's still highly upsetting. Anyone else feel me on this?

Ha! I wonder if that store doesn't have their refrigerator set cold enough?
    I gave up and started using almond milk. It lasts a long time before expiring...
  • rungirl1973
    Options
    I'll play too:

My husband would love you. He cleans out the fridge every few weeks and tosses all the sauces/spreads if he thinks they aren't been used frequently enough. It drives me nuts, even though he's often right. Left to me own devices I would have a fridge full of sauces that I used once and was too lazy to chuck because I might want to use it again.

My roommate is just like you, but we have a peace treaty in place now and I have to leave it there until it's actually expired or is visibly bad or smells wrong. After that it's fair game though...I recently had the joy of finally dumping his expensive collection of six-months-past-date artisan mustards.

Real estate in our fridge is at a premium with two sets of groceries, two big Brita containers, and a constant supply of roommate's beer, so I'm ruthless and very careful to use everything I buy. But the condiments creep on us every time...like right now I think there's seven kinds of hot sauce and at least that many salad dressings and four or five pots of roommate's grandma's jam.

I am so spoiled. I have a fridge in the house, a full size fridge in the garage and an upright freezer in the garage. Plenty of room for beer. Of course, stuff probably hangs out in the fridge way longer than it should sometimes, too.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

I would be extremely upset if this happened to me. It'd definitely warrant a trip to grocery store for a return.
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I'll play!

I've never eaten dry hot chocolate mix.
    I've never eaten out of the trash!!!
    I have never drowned peanut butter although there are times that I should have!! I have thrown other things away though because of eating waaaay too much.
    I wear workout clothes a few times before washing.
    I've never worn a sauna suit.

Me too!

I've never eaten dry hot chocolate mix. But I HAVE eaten the mini marshmallows by themselves. :smiley:
    I've never eaten out of the trash!!! (That might be a lie, I can't remember right now if I have or not)
    I have never drowned peanut butter unless it's to rinse out the jar for recycling.
    I wear workout clothes a few times before washing. This is mostly because I'm too lazy to wash them all the time.
    I've never worn a sauna suit.

I'm SO sad I missed out on this.

i'm in!

have absolutely eaten the dry mix, have also shook up a canister to get the marshmallows to the top so i could munch on those too.
    i have taken something back out of the trash.
    as much as i love PB, i can hold back on it, so i've never had to drown a jar.
    i wear workout clothes a few times before washing (totally lazy here too)
    i've never done the sauna suit thing, but i did have a thighmaster (that was never really used) AND i once tried TrimSpa. i had a terrible reaction to the trimspa and developed hives and a massive rash on my forearms. bad times, yo.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    When I overeat, like recently a mini pie sent me over, I keep moving it to different days to make sure it is accounted for if I get hungry and go over lol so I dont actually go over. Like if I go over my calories today, I move some to tomorrow and count them for tomorrow to keep my average intake the same for the week.

And the problem with that is what? I totally aim for an average over the week.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    smrich57 wrote: »
    I just need motivation to stick to something so I can drop the weight for health reasons. I don't have a lot of weight to drop but the excess weight is around my middle and hips. That is the worst place to have it with heart issues. If I can get on here and just release my frustation it might help. Please don't judge because of my lack of self control. Thanks :)

We definitely don't judge here. We've spent this week talking about eating cocoa powder for heaven's sake. Welcome and get that weight off for your heart's sake.

HAHAHAHA! Soo true, we definitely aren't judgers here. Welcome!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

Yes, to the point that I won't buy milk at that store. Oh, I wonder if the birth giver has cleaned out Memaw's fridge and pantry?
  • WestCoastJo82
    Options
    I'll play too:

My husband would love you. He cleans out the fridge every few weeks and tosses all the sauces/spreads if he thinks they aren't been used frequently enough. It drives me nuts, even though he's often right. Left to me own devices I would have a fridge full of sauces that I used once and was too lazy to chuck because I might want to use it again.

My roommate is just like you, but we have a peace treaty in place now and I have to leave it there until it's actually expired or is visibly bad or smells wrong. After that it's fair game though...I recently had the joy of finally dumping his expensive collection of six-months-past-date artisan mustards.

Real estate in our fridge is at a premium with two sets of groceries, two big Brita containers, and a constant supply of roommate's beer, so I'm ruthless and very careful to use everything I buy. But the condiments creep on us every time...like right now I think there's seven kinds of hot sauce and at least that many salad dressings and four or five pots of roommate's grandma's jam.

Really mustards can go bad? I don't use mustard super often so it often sits there for years...maybe I should check that. I'm with you on the dumping of bad stuff, but I typically do a good clean out only once a month.
  • WestCoastJo82
    Options
    I'll play too:

I am so spoiled. I have a fridge in the house, a full size fridge in the garage and an upright freezer in the garage. Plenty of room for beer. Of course, stuff probably hangs out in the fridge way longer than it should sometimes, too.

I also have a fridge that is just for beer. Not quite full sized though. I'm a home brewer - I have to have good beer space!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    My version of the Confessions Bingo!!

I have only used dry mix to top ice cream.
    I have taken something back out of the trash, it was still in the unopened original container.
    I like PB, but not enough to need to drown a jar, Nutella, that might be possible.
    I wear work out clothes once usually, the bra sometimes gets two rounds.
    I have not worn a sauna suit, but I have an ab belt type thing, no electrodes there, and have tried just about every diet aside from the Jenny Craig type stuff and surgery. Quick Weight Loss actually works, but it is impossible to eat like that the rest of your life....
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

Really mustards can go bad? I don't use mustard super often so it often sits there for years...maybe I should check that. I'm with you on the dumping of bad stuff, but I typically do a good clean out only once a month.

Plain mustard, much like honey, generally stays good for an eternity. The "artisan" kind likely has other ingredients that would spoil.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

I also have a fridge that is just for beer. Not quite full sized though. I'm a home brewer - I have to have good beer space!

We have a mini fridge behind our bar. The bar needs replacing, and we're considering doing something with an actual wine cooler/beer fridge.
  • rungirl1973
    Options
    I'll play too:

We have a mini fridge behind our bar. The bar needs replacing, and we're considering doing something with an actual wine cooler/beer fridge.

I'll eventually get a wine cooler out in the sun room. LOL
    Gotta keep my priorities straight.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    I've been consistently logging everything I eat for over 1000 days and I've lost/gained the same 20lbs in those 1000+ days.

why?

Because I have a stupid brain that is never happy unless I am eating junk food and or at a surplus.
    I could be consistently working out and eating the right amount of food and feel like a million bucks...but the moment my lips even touch a candy bar or pastry I go right back to my old habits and ruin all of the progress I've made. (please no one tell me that I can still enjoy "junk" and just have less of it...it doesn't work on me...its either the whole bar or none of it)

I finally found a fitness routine I enjoy doing (Pole dancing) and what do I do? go to class? Nope...I make excuses and don't go and eat a freaking 100g candy bar instead...what's wrong with me?

I want to change so bad but my brain is just not letting me be better.

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. You have accomplished logging or 3 years, that itself is a huge step. Plus it sounds like you've made no gains which is also huge. Give yourself some credit :)
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I'll play too:

And I was just starting to like you :(

RIP mustard
  • rungirl1973
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »

I have taken something back out of the trash, it was still in the unopened original container.
    I like PB, but not enough to need to drown a jar, Nutella, that might be possible.
    I have not worn a sauna suit, but I have an ab belt type thing, no electrodes there, and have tried just about every diet aside from the Jenny Craig type stuff and surgery. Quick Weight Loss actually works, but it is impossible to eat like that the rest of your life....

Oh goodness. Just off the top of my head, I've tried:

Weight Watchers
    Seattle Sutton
    The "T Factor" diet (way back when I was a teenager, 5'8" and 120 lbs.
    Grapefruit diet
    Atkins
    Nutrisystem
    Diet pills (back when they had ephedra in them)

I've never done anything except for MFP when I actually had weight that I needed to lose. All of that craziness was when I was trying to lose those "pesky 5 lbs".
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    smrich57 wrote: »
    I just need motivation to stick to something so I can drop the weight for health reasons. I don't have a lot of weight to drop but the excess weight is around my middle and hips. That is the worst place to have it with heart issues. If I can get on here and just release my frustation it might help. Please don't judge because of my lack of self control. Thanks :)

We definitely don't judge here. We've spent this week talking about eating cocoa powder for heaven's sake. Welcome and get that weight off for your heart's sake.

HAHAHAHA! Soo true, we definitely aren't judgers here. Welcome!

We only judge those that judge others. ;)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    I've been consistently logging everything I eat for over 1000 days and I've lost/gained the same 20lbs in those 1000+ days.

why?

Because I have a stupid brain that is never happy unless I am eating junk food and or at a surplus.
    I could be consistently working out and eating the right amount of food and feel like a million bucks...but the moment my lips even touch a candy bar or pastry I go right back to my old habits and ruin all of the progress I've made. (please no one tell me that I can still enjoy "junk" and just have less of it...it doesn't work on me...its either the whole bar or none of it)

I finally found a fitness routine I enjoy doing (Pole dancing) and what do I do? go to class? Nope...I make excuses and don't go and eat a freaking 100g candy bar instead...what's wrong with me?

I want to change so bad but my brain is just not letting me be better.

I am like this. I can have all or nothing. Nothing in moderation. Like the 5 handfuls of M&Ms I just ate because I thought I could just have one. I KNOW I can't, but my brain convinces me I can...and then I fail. So depressing. So usually I just don't touch it. But my next door neighbor in my office INSISTS on keeping a jar of M&Ms sitting there. I may have to drown her M&Ms. I have threatened to do so in the past.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »

Oh goodness. Just off the top of my head, I've tried:

Weight Watchers
    Seattle Sutton
    The "T Factor" diet (way back when I was a teenager, 5'8" and 120 lbs.
    Grapefruit diet
    Atkins
    Nutrisystem
    Diet pills (back when they had ephedra in them)

I've never done anything except for MFP when I actually had weight that I needed to lose. All of that craziness was when I was trying to lose those "pesky 5 lbs".

I have done Atkins, Slim Fast, some kind of 10 day diet that required me to eat beets.... I would literally hang over the sink gagging trying to get those things down, tried the Raspberry Ketones, HCG (worked great, I am a fan of this if I could KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF), starving myself, starving myself with Dexatrim (when it was good it was AMAZING), and something recently with a bunch of pills you had to take, I can't remember what....

I have also bought Jane Fonda's workout tapes, the thigh master, PX90, Tapout, paid for multiple gyms, and paid for 5 days a week of cross fit for a year, that i probably went to 2x a week for 3 months. The money I have spent on dieting and exercise....

The best thing that has worked the longest?

MFP, Walking and you guys. <3<3<3