Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I confess that I dread going to work tomorrow because i have a new employee to train. I am not a teacher or I would be a teacher, not a bean counter.

Wait!?! You do Boy Scouts and Sunday school and have children. You are to a teacher.
    Just be your awesome self.

You're the second person to say that to me in two days, Wendy. I'll take it under consideration. But, I am Cub Scout leader and Sunday School teacher because other adults wouldn't do it. I have autism. It's hard to teach people who don't and will never think like me.

One of the things I taught when I was training trainers how to train is to figure out how the trainee learns and then teach to their learning style. You cannot teach someone to learn the way you learn. You have to teach in they way they learn - very hard, but super effective. We used Kolb's four basic learning styles:

Active Experimentation - basically let me screw with it til I figure it out. I'm not scared to "break" it, I'll just try it another way next time if I do. (This is me!)
    Concrete Experience - I need to tie this new learning experience to something I already know how to do.
    Reflective Observation - I need to think this over, and over, and over, before I touch it and try it (These ones drive me nuts). I am scared to "break" it.
    Abstract Conceptualization - I need to understand the 'why' behind it. Many similarities with Reflective Observation.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html

I understand what you said as a concept, Tami, and I appreciate the advice. However, I have autism. I am SO freaked out by this stranger in my personal space that I doubt my ability to figure out how she learns.
    AND I can't let her screw with it this late in the month because this expletive deleted software doesn't have a training mode and we might not get her mistakes fixed by the 31st.
    PLUS we opened two new urgent cares this month and someone told them to call me whenever they have coding questions. (I can code most of the urgent care offices do in my sleep, but I can't train someone else AND code urgent care charges.).
    It's going to be a long week.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I confess that I dread going to work tomorrow because i have a new employee to train. I am not a teacher or I would be a teacher, not a bean counter.

Wait!?! You do Boy Scouts and Sunday school and have children. You are to a teacher.

You're the second person to say that to me in two days, Wendy. I'll take it under consideration. But, I am Cub Scout leader and Sunday School teacher because other adults wouldn't do it. I have autism. It's hard to teach people who don't and will never think like me.

One of the things I taught when I was training trainers how to train is to figure out how the trainee learns and then teach to their learning style. You cannot teach someone to learn the way you learn. You have to teach in they way they learn - very hard, but super effective. We used Kolb's four basic learning styles:

Active Experimentation - basically let me screw with it til I figure it out. I'm not scared to "break" it, I'll just try it another way next time if I do. (This is me!)
    Concrete Experience - I need to tie this new learning experience to something I already know how to do.
    Reflective Observation - I need to think this over, and over, and over, before I touch it and try it (These ones drive me nuts). I am scared to "break" it.
    Abstract Conceptualization - I need to understand the 'why' behind it. Many similarities with Reflective Observation.

I understand what you said as a concept, Tami, and I appreciate the advice. However, I have autism. I am SO freaked out by this stranger in my personal space that I doubt my ability to figure out how she learns.
    AND I can't let her screw with it this late in the month because this expletive deleted software doesn't have a training mode and we might not get her mistakes fixed by the 31st.
    PLUS we opened two new urgent cares this month and someone told them to call me whenever they have coding questions. (I can code most of the urgent care offices do in my sleep, but I can't train someone else AND code urgent care charges.).

Bummer! I hope the week goes quickly, without too many questions or freak-outs. Hugs!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

Bummer! I hope the week goes quickly, without too many questions or freak-outs. Hugs!

I managed to treat her like a person today. That's more than I usually do with strangers. it's going to be okay. I have to do it. No one else knows the job.

I walked over 18000 steps today on break, at lunch and at soccer evaluations. It prevents the freak-outs and makes me tired enough to sleep.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options

Im so sorry Melissa. That does make it harder if there is no training mode
  • raymax4
    Options

I managed to treat her like a person today. That's more than I usually do with strangers. it's going to be okay. I have to do it. No one else knows the job.

I walked over 18000 steps today on break, at lunch and at soccer evaluations. It prevents the freak-outs and makes me tired enough to sleep.
    Sleep well my friend.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Thanks, Wendy. Trainee had to go to employee health for a while. I have a temporary reprieve.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    I freaking love twizzlers!!!!!!!

IIFYM! (Although I freaking HATE Twizzlers, and all licorice... :D )

..... so I'm a freak of nature and love black licorice....

All black licorice is within the scope of my enjoyment

Love black licorice! And red! All licorice is good, but I think its cherry I like (is it strawberry that tastes funny? or vice versa?)

Ugh black licorice & black jelly beans are nasty!

My nieces & nephews like those Wax Coke Bottle candies.

Are those the ones you bite open and drink the fluid? I vaguely remember those from when I was a kid.

I take it back I guess they're more like gummy bears.

ccd7cb522f492ceb00e1a39e7412aee8.jpg
  • raymax4
    Options
    I'm really missing all of you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Happy Friday, everybody!

Any good plans for the weekend? My son's football game tomorrow is cancelled, because the other team forfeited. No enough players. We're going to watch my nephew's team play. Going to another nephew's birthday party tonight. I need to make a grocery shopping list, because we're going camping over Labor Day weekend and I need to pick up everything for that this weekend because I won't have time during the week.

Son caught a cold on the first day of school, so I don't know that we'll be doing anything else. He's sniffly and sneezy. I hope he doesn't share with me!

r4gffrzhcb6r.jpg
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
  • raymax4
    Options
    I have my food diary at maintenance to allow my ankle to heal. I am still loosing weight,and hope that I am not loosing muscle mass.
    Leaves to do exercises not involving my left ankle.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    24138db9e4d1d67cf2f5cc55b900c62c.jpg
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    24138db9e4d1d67cf2f5cc55b900c62c.jpg

Every day.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Happy Friday, everybody!

Any good plans for the weekend? My son's football game tomorrow is cancelled, because the other team forfeited. No enough players. We're going to watch my nephew's team play. Going to another nephew's birthday party tonight. I need to make a grocery shopping list, because we're going camping over Labor Day weekend and I need to pick up everything for that this weekend because I won't have time during the week.

Son caught a cold on the first day of school, so I don't know that we'll be doing anything else. He's sniffly and sneezy.

I hate deleting photos on my phone when I quote I always end up losing some of the text!

I was in Atlanta yesterday on a shoot and just flew back this AM. The only plans I have are the horses, maybe a 5k cross country race tomorrow morning and getting my expenses done for work. I never get to them in the office. Sigh.

Enjoy your weekend! Hope Peyton feels better!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I'm really missing all of you.

Awww I have been so busy at work this week I didn't get much posting time. I'll do better this week!
  • Oberon21
    Options

Nice on the steps. Sounds like it went ok. Just take it one day at a time.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Thank God for Kelly giving us the suggestion to use Zinc when you're feeling sick! I've been using these zinc tablets that dissolve in water, & it seems to be helping a bit.

Confession I hate Robitussin, & use Dimetapp for colds/allergies.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Thank God for Kelly giving us the suggestion to use Zinc when you're feeling sick! I've been using these zinc tablets that dissolve in water, & it seems to be helping a bit.

Bummer you are sick! I hope u are ok.
  • raymax4
    edited August 2016
    Options

Agreed they can gag a maggot!
    Hoping you are feeling better soon