My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• annaxmarie6389
    annaxmarie6389 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

Lol I find this so hilarious because this show has made me want to get up and go to the gym. And Hoarders makes me want to clean the house. I find I'm more likely to go to the gym though... But before My 600lb Life I was steadily gaining weight and watching some of the women on that show who mentioned how they used to be a medium size and quickly started gaining more and more. I was like "oh no. That's not happening". I joined the gym, started MyFitnessPal, and bought a Pivotal Living watch similar to FitBit to encourage me to walk more. I've made sure I hit atleast 10,000 steps everyday and atleast 400+ calories burned in the gym.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I watched about half of Marla's story last night. What a piece of work. I feel she was lucky to have the surgery then she was a total PITA for how many months after? Plus the way she treated her daughter Sierra after the surgery "don't touch me" she said to her. WOW ..

I often find this show very hard to watch. I don't think most of them really want to get better.

I don't remember Penny. Maybe I missed that one? Was she the one who refused to move and had therapy over the computer?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I watch this show religiously.
    Marla frustrated me more than almost anyone. Penny being the absolute worst.
    My mother used Dr. N for her weight loss surgery and he was wonderful.
    I guess it's just annoying watching this show, like last night, and knowing there are people who would do anything to have that surgery for free, yet you get people like Marla who could care less.

I think that Marla wanted to get the surgery to improve her life but then realized that it would mean doing work and taking care of herself. Her kids waited on her hand and foot and spoiled her like a baby, so much so that she felt like she never needed to even try to walk again. That's the strangest part about her episode. Why did she prefer to be immobile? She had this maniacal look on her face when she sent Sierra to get the "cup" of jello that ended up being like a tupperware full.

• courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Exactly!

That look she gave her daughter. It made me want to slap her. Like, if I could have come through that TV I would have. I wish her daughter would have done what the Dr. said and tell her to go get it herself.
    I guess I just don't understand what goes through some peoples heads.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the people who truly care and work their hardest after their surgery. Ungrateful people drive me nuts though.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    The Marla episode was frustrating. She did pull it together at the very end - like the last five minutes of the show, I guess. I don't know how long in actual time that was.

I don't get how people could fight so hard to get the surgery and then refuse to obey the doctor's orders. It's not like he was asking the world - unless he made all sorts of demands on Marla and they edited those out. But I don't think so. I mean he was just asking her to stand up, and it was for her own health, no less. A blood clot can drop a person fast after surgery if there's no motion.

Often with some people who are intending to get gastric surgery, not just those on this show, I feel like that they're really just "buying time" to stay and behave exactly the same, so-to-speak, since surgery is off in the distant future. So that it seems, even if only to themselves, they are doing something about their very serious weight problem up until they actually concretely arrange to get the surgery.

Kind of like people who assert they'll start their diet on Monday. Then Monday comes and well, most know know how that typically goes...

That this is major surgery and a lot of work will be required on their part in order to be successful just doesn't seem to really register at all with many people who say they want to get it.

And I agree that Dr. N has never been one to cuddle and coddle (probably what I like most about him) but I guess he just seemed a bit harsher the past 2 episodes. I didn't have a huge problem with it, or anything. But I guess I didn't feel like these patients deserved it as much as, say, some of his patients in the past who were particularly aggravating.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    The Marla episode was frustrating. She did pull it together at the very end - like the last five minutes of the show, I guess. I don't know how long in actual time that was.

I don't get how people could fight so hard to get the surgery and then refuse to obey the doctor's orders. It's not like he was asking the world - unless he made all sorts of demands on Marla and they edited those out. But I don't think so. I mean he was just asking her to stand up, and it was for her own health, no less. A blood clot can drop a person fast after surgery if there's no motion.

Often with some people who are intending to get gastric surgery, not just those on this show, I feel like that they're really just "buying time" to stay and behave exactly the same, so-to-speak, since surgery is off in the distant future. So that it seems, even if only to themselves, they are doing something about their very serious weight problem up until they actually concretely arrange to get the surgery.

Kind of like people who assert they'll start their diet on Monday. Then Monday comes and well, most know know how that typically goes...

That this is major surgery and a lot of work will be required on their part in order to be successful just doesn't seem to really register at all with many people who say they want to get it.

And I agree that Dr. N has never been one to cuddle and coddle (probably what I like most about him) but I guess he just seemed a bit harsher the past 2 episodes. I didn't have a huge problem with it, or anything. But I guess I didn't feel like these patients deserved it as much as, say, some of his patients in the past who were particularly aggravating.

Those are good points.

• ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I had my gall bladder removed, the surgeon told me afterwards I had to walk or I might develop a blood clot and die. It made me so nervous I was up all night pacing the hospital halls, to the point the nurses were kind of freaked out that I wasn't resting or sleeping. He made me anxious about it though! Not helpful for sleep in a strange place! I don't understand how many of these people can have this told to them and just do nothing. It's one thing if you are ignorant about something but if a doctor is telling you straight up ... You have a good chance of something happening that will kill you that can be solved by just walking around a little.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    ginny92802 wrote: »
    When I had my gall bladder removed, the surgeon told me afterwards I had to walk or I might develop a blood clot and die. It made me so nervous I was up all night pacing the hospital halls, to the point the nurses were kind of freaked out that I wasn't resting or sleeping. He made me anxious about it though! Not helpful for sleep in a strange place! I don't understand how many of these people can have this told to them and just do nothing. It's one thing if you are ignorant about something but if a doctor is telling you straight up ... You have a good chance of something happening that will kill you that can be solved by just walking around a little.

Yup. After my C-section, the nurses had me walking...and I am talking IMMEDIATELY after, as in, they kept coming in to check whether I had full feeling back in both my legs yet. As soon as I did, they had me up.

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Not to go back in time on y'all but I did get a bit behind...
    did anyone else notice that Charity's fiance mysteriously disappeared in the second half of the episode? He just wasn't around anymore. No explanation, no mention of it.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I tried to watch it. Not only was it scary to me, but I feel like it would be an easy place to get to if you didn't get things under control as soon as you admitted that you have a problem with addiction to food. From what I've seen, those folks are surrounded with unsupportive family and friends, and deep psychological issues WAY beyond what would just be weight related. The episode I was watching, the husband was over endulging and rubbing the joy in the 600+ pound wife's face. He like her obese, so he wanted her to stay that way - that is so selfish. No matter how sick you are, or how tired you are of being a certain size, it is really tough to resist temptation when someone is literally waving it in your face and telling you how awesome it is to eat so freely. It actually made me realize that there are several ways and reasons that these people got to the weight that they are at. I feel almost like it's more of a mental illness that needs to be treated, rather than attacking the weight first. Like I said, there seem to be much deeper issues with the people this show document and without curing the cause, you can't cure the symptom.
  • Lourdesong
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tried to watch it. Not only was it scary to me, but I feel like it would be an easy place to get to if you didn't get things under control as soon as you admitted that you have a problem with addiction to food. From what I've seen, those folks are surrounded with unsupportive family and friends, and deep psychological issues WAY beyond what would just be weight related. The episode I was watching, the husband was over endulging and rubbing the joy in the 600+ pound wife's face. He like her obese, so he wanted her to stay that way - that is so selfish. No matter how sick you are, or how tired you are of being a certain size, it is really tough to resist temptation when someone is literally waving it in your face and telling you how awesome it is to eat so freely. It actually made me realize that there are several ways and reasons that these people got to the weight that they are at. I feel almost like it's more of a mental illness that needs to be treated, rather than attacking the weight first. Like I said, there seem to be much deeper issues with the people this show document and without curing the cause, you can't cure the symptom.

This seems like a chicken/egg problem. And I don't see how anyone could think it's a smart idea to go couch in therapy instead of losing hundreds of pounds that is physically killing a person.

eta: esp when there's not much evidence that therapy has any impact on weight loss being successful.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was amazed at how flexible Marla was that is why I was so mad at her when she refused to stand up and was being down right difficult and silly. But I was rolling with the portable fryer!!! Who knew???
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Yeah I was amazed at how flexible Marla was that is why I was so mad at her when she refused to stand up and was being down right difficult and silly. But I was rolling with the portable fryer!!! Who knew???

That fryer scared the poop out of me. Please please please folks, don't try this at home. Holy fire hazard, Batman.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

This seems like a chicken/egg problem. And I don't see how anyone could think it's a smart idea to go couch in therapy instead of losing hundreds of pounds that is physically killing a person.

eta: esp when there's not much evidence that therapy has any impact on weight loss being successful.

Basically if someone gained a bunch of weight because they were kidnapped, then the idea is to help them deal with that. Not just hey, here's a smaller stomach, especially since all they have to do is eat a little bit of food all day and could still not lose weight

• MelodyandBarbells
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow, usually the patient can walk around after the surgery. Her massive accomplishment was being able to stand up for a few seconds at a time with assistance of like three strong men! Imagine if Sierra had actually followed the advise to have Marla get her own stuff, that could have been dangerous??

Okay come on. What about Sierra? She wasn't my 600 lb life huge but it's kind of creeping up on her? Just like one of the patients was super terrified that she had taught her kids her bad habits. I mean yeah, the Mom experienced a traumatic event but her children didn't. Either way they get to be fat, too
  • LAWoman72
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Basically if someone gained a bunch of weight because they were kidnapped, then the idea is to help them deal with that. Not just hey, here's a smaller stomach, especially since all they have to do is eat a little bit of food all day and could still not lose weight

Exactly. Talk therapy's rather dismal rate (overall) notwithstanding, the fact is that a number of these patients seem to have the surgery, yet still find ways to overeat, and feel they "need" to do it - and can relate that need to "numb" to a specific event, or events. SOMETHING in addition to the surgery needs to be at least tried...or they are going to die.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Exactly. Talk therapy's rather dismal rate (overall) notwithstanding, the fact is that a number of these patients seem to have the surgery, yet still find ways to overeat, and feel they "need" to do it - and can relate that need to "numb" to a specific event, or events. SOMETHING in addition to the surgery needs to be at least tried...or they are going to die.

Yup. I still haven't seen the 600 lb patient that just loves to eat, nothing else, full stop. Wait, except maybe Penny...
  • Lourdesong
    Options

Wasn't she enormous at that time, as well? Regardless, this poster was talking about Zsalynn's (sp?) story, and all of her problems could very feasibly be due to her weight, not her weight is due to her problems. She reeled in her crappy husband on a fat fetish website and she was part of some fat pride crowd. And she didn't get the strength to kick the fetishist she was married to to the curb until she changed her momentum towards losing pounds instead of piling them on.

As well, I keep seeing this idea that people need to go get their head examined and sort through issues BEFORE they do anything about their weight problem, and that ONLY THEN can they shed pounds. The last thing people need is another reason to fart around, especially one that sort of sounds legitimate like working with mental health professionals. I haven't seen anyone who is so insane yet where their mental health ought to take precedence over their obesity problem. It's stupid.

• DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how many calories would you have to eat per day to maintain 600 lbs?
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was watching the show last week, I forgot the guy's name, but he was talking about his cheat day. It sounded exactly like something I've said, and coming from someone else it sounded like such *kitten*. So I guess that's helped me there.