Processed foods

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    it was a rhetorical question

there is no difference of nutrition between sucrose from fruits or sucrose from candy

I think it was an arsey question personally. To each their own. This thread wasn't about sucrose or the difference in chemical composition of processed versus unprocessed .. It was the OP asking how to cut what many of us deem to be everyday processed foods. Perhaps you should start a new thread to continue the debate you're having?
    don't really care. you shouldn't have responded to me.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That really DID make me laugh out loud!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's easy to over eat. Even easier when even savoury processed food has added sugar to enhance flavour.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

You're literally saying that since it's easy to overeat really flavorful foods, you should avoid those foods. Why do you want to condemn people to a lifetime of less-flavorful food that they enjoy less?

That's not a long-term sustainable answer. A better answer is to eat those foods you love, but learn how to do it while hitting appropriate nutrient and calorie goals. "Avoid sugar!" isn't a plan for life, it's a stupid pointless warning that does more harm than good.

No - I'm saying if the general population maybe ate more fresh, home cooked food and a little less processed food then they would have calories to spare to enjoy ice cream for dessert and everyone would be a little less overweight.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    whats the difference? Can you tell me chemically?

No difference chemically, but that wasn't what i was trying to land. I know you can eat ice cream and still stick to a calorie deficit if you so wish. Hell, I even had an ice cream yesterday myself. And stuck to my calorie goal.

This is a thread about processed food and obesity though.

It's easy to over eat. Even easier when even savoury processed food has added sugar to enhance flavour.

The bolded statements kind of contradict themselves. Sugar has nothing to do with any of this. It's the villian of the decade that's all. It's been beef in the past, cholesterol, fat... Right now it's sugar.

af6afacd-d74d-4e2c-b5a5-12c1c4f483d3_zpsb363e9e3.jpg

So you GENUINELY think that obesity is all down to poeple stuffing their faces with too much home cooked fresh food?

LULWUT? :noway: :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No difference chemically, but that wasn't what i was trying to land. I know you can eat ice cream and still stick to a calorie deficit if you so wish. Hell, I even had an ice cream yesterday myself. And stuck to my calorie goal.

The bolded statements kind of contradict themselves. Sugar has nothing to do with any of this. It's the villian of the decade that's all. It's been beef in the past, cholesterol, fat... Right now it's sugar.

So you GENUINELY think that obesity is all down to poeple stuffing their faces with too much home cooked fresh food?

I got fat eating my grandmother's gumbo and fried chicken. It wasn't ice cream or pop tarts.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Had some obese relatives on my "hillbilly" side of the family that ate nothing but home cokked meals. Pass dem taters and conebread
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    Bowing out of this now.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Had some obese relatives on my "hillbilly" side of the family that ate nothing but home cokked meals. Pass dem taters and conebread

Oh yeah, cornbread. And ears of corn slathered in butter. Mashed potatoes loaded with cream and butter. Fried eggs and bacon and biscuits with milk for breakfast.

This was all made from scratch from fresh ingredients.

Excess calories + sedentary lifestyle = obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Sugar and excess calories are not synonymous. I eat more sugar now than I ever did.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, cornbread. And ears of corn slathered in butter. Mashed potatoes loaded with cream and butter. Fried eggs and bacon and biscuits with milk for breakfast.

This was all made from scratch from fresh ingredients.

Excess calories + sedentary lifestyle = obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Sugar and excess calories are not synonymous. I eat more sugar now than I ever did.
    lol @ home cooked meals not being considered processed
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Of course it's processed. Emma said " home cooked fresh food" which she clearly believes to mean "non-processed" which is nonsensical. So I talked about getting fat on home cooked food. Like a lot of people do.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    oh please.

yes I do believe my home cooked food to be not processed when quite obviously you're taking the word "processed" out of the context of this debate.

We all know that processed in this context refers to pre-made foods and fast food etc....

We are not talking about processed to mean food that has not been washed, chopped, peeled, steamed, baked, boiled etc...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    We all know that processed in this context refers to pre-made foods and fast food etc....

Apparently we don't, because that definition is meaningless, arbitrary, and has no actual derivation from the word "processed."
  • Gongfu_1960
    Options
    Of course it's processed. Emma said " home cooked fresh food" which she clearly believes to mean "non-processed" which is nonsensical. So I talked about getting fat on home cooked food. Like a lot of people do.

Count the posts they have, and you'll see into their souls...It's like a guy on the plane who never shuts up....They're incapable.
  • Gongfu_1960
    Options
    oh please.

yes I do believe my home cooked food to be not processed when quite obviously you're taking the word "processed" out of the context of this debate.

We are not talking about processed to mean food that has not been washed, chopped, peeled, steamed, baked, boiled etc...

He's just compensating for insecurities, along with the other guy in this thread (with the fake 8-pack profile pic) who has never, to my knowledge, said anything helpful, supportive, kind, un-sarcastic or just plain nice.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    oh please.

He's just compensating for insecurities, along with the other guy in this thread (with the fake 8-pack profile pic) who has never, to my knowledge, said anything helpful, supportive, kind, un-sarcastic or just plain nice.

What I'm actually doing is trying to prevent people from unnecessarily and irrationally making people think that food they love is inherently unhealthy and incompatible with their goals, thus setting them up for failure when their willpower ultimately gives out.

Abstinence is not the answer. That applies to sugar just as well as it applies to sex.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    oh please.

I see you're new here. Welcome to MFP. (Or is this not your first (or only) MFP account?)

Interesting diagnosis you have made based on review of his forum posts in this thread. I disagree with your conclusion, but nonetheless, it is interesting.

Based on the two posts of your that I have ever seen myself, I'm not yet convinced that you are particularly helpful, supportive, kind, or "plain nice" either...

...but it would be presumptuous (and not plain nice) of me to make that accusation based only on your forum posts.

I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. You got this! :flowerforyou: - ©2013
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Yes. Too much food, regardless of source, is the problem. You will get fat off excess calories, period.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    oh please.

I'm pretty sure trying to correct bad information in the face of an onslaught of ignorance is helpful. At least it is for those of us who actually care of about the science of nutrition and not what is preached by Dr. Oz on daytime TV.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    I'm not talking about abstinence, I'm talking about home cooking and knowing the providence of your food to avoid hidden calories from completely unnecessary chemical additives.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    And now I'm being painted as someone completely ignorant of nutrition and a proponent of fad diets because i advocate eating fresh food??

THIS SITE :sad: