What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    tmorton03 wrote: »
    I've lost 85 pounds and my husband lost 75 pounds in 2014 and we have kept it off. Someone close to us has said on numerous occasions, " I liked you guys better the other way." :/
    It's hard when someone close to you hasn't lost their weight and they don't cheer for you when you have.

That is so sad.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member

tmorton03 wrote: »
    I've lost 85 pounds and my husband lost 75 pounds in 2014 and we have kept it off. Someone close to us has said on numerous occasions, " I liked you guys better the other way." :/
    It's hard when someone close to you hasn't lost their weight and they don't cheer for you when you have.

That is rough and IMO wrong of them to say.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    That is takes a while to realize I am not always the biggest girl in the room. I will still pick out people and ask my husband, "am I the same size as her?"...he laughs and tells me I am delusional. I have no perception of my real size.

I think a lot of us suffer from that. Some days hell a lot of days I feel like the me that was 120 pounds heavier.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    When you meet people who never knew the "Fat" version then they assume you don't have to worry about what you eat and that you are blessed with a high metabolism

I find myself telling them that I recently lost weight, like they care :) I do wonder what the statute of limitations is on "recently". I reached my current weight last fall. If in 5 years I'm still saying that I recently lost weight, that might not be quite right! But I imagine it will still feel recent to me!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    kimcalica wrote: »

I'm in a great spot because my style was always for smaller girls and when I was big, I could never wear the kind of stuff I wanted to.. Asian fashion has always been something I've dreamed of wearing and I just got back from San Francisco and visited Chinatown and jtown.. I fit into and bought things that were at one time a complete impossibility.. I never got past the window shopping phase before, and last week, everything I tried on, fit.. It was truly a dream come true for me.. A Long awaited one!

[/quote]

That's AMAZING!!!! I know just how you feel - what a great feeling it is to finally look on the outside the way you have always seen yourself from the inside. :)
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    That people fall over themselves to help you out. ....at the storage place today they all helped me lug boxes.....60lb ago they would have run away.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member

people who see me every day have commented so surely it should be noticeable to people I only see every month or so. I shouldn't allow other people to make me feel bad but... it hurts!

Or they really may not have noticed. Two Septembers ago, I was sure people in the chorus would notice that I'd lost a couple pants sizes over the summer. Nobody said a thing. Several months into the season, people started to notice.

• JanetMMcC
    My question is how/what clicked to change for you guys because that is what I am trying to find at the moment.

For me it was 213 lbs, the nth warning that I was close to diabetes, and a directive to drop white carbs from my diet. For some reason, even though it covered all the candy,
    chips, and ice cream I'd been snacking on, it didn't feel like dieting.

Now that I'm at goal, I'll have candy, when I have the calories for it. I no longer scarf down the whole bag of Ghirardelli squares, but nibble and savor one or two or three, depending on calories remaining.
  • JanetMMcC
    girlisrad wrote: »
    The difficulty of feeling so proud of yourself as you meet those short term goals, then realizing that to the outside world you are still just a "fat" person.

This! I have to keep reminding myself that while my current weight loss is a big deal to me (almost 84lbs!) that I am still fat and that I still have a ways to go before I move out of that category.

84 lbs IS a big deal. CONGRATULATIONS! You'll get the rest of the way, too.
  • JanetMMcC
    triddering wrote: »
    Hang in there and DO celebrate the milestones! I am 1.2 lbs and 3 days away from an intermediate goal of 80 lbs in 9 months! I am working hard to make it and I will celebrate it so much, even if I make it a day late :)

CONGRATULATIONS! !
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    When i was at my smallest.. people suddenly treated me like a human.
    140lbs dropped my shopping? People flocked over the pick it up for me.
    250 lbs dropped my shopping? Haha fatty dropped the food.
    Underwear was a joy to buy, browsing all the pretties. Now it's an embarrassing necessity, trying to scoop up a pack of plain, giant granny knickers without anyone seeing.

On a positive note. I practically ran up a mountain that used to cripple me. I had curves going on and out, not just out.

I can't wait to look less like a big toe!

Haha! I'm laughing at your word choice, but I'm willing to bet that you do not look like a big toe ;)
  • JanetMMcC
    All you cold folks, after yoyoing all my life, I was always freezing. Now I'm maintaining and am no longer always ghetto coldest person in the room. I'm s.yre the difference is that I'm exercising a lot more.
  • JanetMMcC
    Ghetto???? That should be "the". And tho I know how to correct messages, the system won't let me.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    That people fall over themselves to help you out. ....at the storage place today they all helped me lug boxes.....60lb ago they would have run away.

Tell me about it! All of a sudden, the world is smiling at me again, men flirting, women complimenting, strangers offering to help or hold the door open. It's insulting and uplifting all at the same time.
  • mufasia
    mufasia Posts: 5 Member
    -You will discover bones you forgot (or never knew) you had.
    -Support from friends/family can be pretty hit or miss.
    -Not everyone will notice or comment on your loss. Most of my closest friends haven't said a word about me losing weight, but their families have, and my family has.
    -Just because you lost weight doesn't mean you can go back to how you were before you were trying to lose weight. I know a few people who let themselves revert back to the old 'them', and they gained a lot of their weight back. This is a lifestyle change. A lifelong journey. :)

No, you can't. The eating whatever is what caused you to gain weight. So if you loose weight and then go back to the bad eating habits you will gain it all back and it will all have been for nothing. And the second, third, and on times you will get less support. But even if you have no support being healthy is for you.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Tell me about it! All of a sudden, the world is smiling at me again, men flirting, women complimenting, strangers offering to help or hold the door open. It's insulting and uplifting all at the same time.

Yes. ....just that. Is it because I'm thinner or is it because I'm nicer and more confident......screws with the noddle
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!