What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    yangt41 wrote: »
    How uncomfortable it starts to get when the only thing people say to you is regarding your weight loss. I loved the compliments at first but now it's the only thing we talk about. And I'm starting to run out of replies! Suggestions?

How about those Mets? What about the latest presidential debate? Seen any good movies lately? Have you read "Nature's Nether Regions"? (that last is a *super* book - funny, informative, well written about weird, fascinating science. for a more detailed review, https://nothinginbiology.org/2015/08/10/junk-science/ )
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I feel as if my hip bones are re-settling in a different way. As if they are straighter, less wide. I can think of a million reasons why this would only be imagination but it does cause some hip pain on occasion
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    You might want to ask the doc about the occasional hip pain. It might be as easy to fix as, say, using a body pillow to rest your upper leg if you sleep on your side. Or it might be something else entirely.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    -You will discover bones you forgot (or never knew) you had.

I was laying on my back in bed one night and went to scratch my stomach/chest and felt something poking out on the side. I thought maybe I had popped a rib or something and started feeling around and realized that for the first time that I could remember, I could actually feel my rib cage.

Not only that, but I could feel my xiphoid process too.

Whats the xiphoid process? I want to try find mine, ha!!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Your xyphoid is at the bottom of your sternum. Mine pokes out now as well, I think it's from being fat for so long as I don't recall it protruding 30 years ago...
  • triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    I feel as if my hip bones are re-settling in a different way. As if they are straighter, less wide. I can think of a million reasons why this would only be imagination but it does cause some hip pain on occasion

I go to the chiropractor often. He explained that after having gained weight, the tendons stretch out. After losing weight, the tendons take time to shrink back. Because of this, I have tailbone pain. It might be similar to what is going on with your hip. He also gave me hope that it takes an average of 6 months for the tendons to shrink back once the weight is lost, depending on elasticity and how much they stretched. Can't wait!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    triddering wrote: »

I go to the chiropractor often. He explained that after having gained weight, the tendons stretch out. After losing weight, the tendons take time to shrink back. Because of this, I have tailbone pain. It might be similar to what is going on with your hip. He also gave me hope that it takes an average of 6 months for the tendons to shrink back once the weight is lost, depending on elasticity and how much they stretched. Can't wait!

Thanks! I figured it is something like that. It most certainly feels as tendons doing something unusual. It is not super painful, just annoying. It tends to last 1-2 days at a time and then it is gone for weeks. I just try to see it as part of the journey.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    triddering wrote: »

Woah. I have this too. Was wondering what it was. Thanks for posting!
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    fostersu wrote: »
    ktno1 wrote: »
    I am pretty flat chested and no matter how fat I got, those little niblets never got any bigger

ME TOO!! They never change no matter how much I gain or lose. Congrats on the bra, I know the struggle

I know we should be happy with what we have but I'm totally jealous. Mine also don't change with weight loss, but I'm the opposite, I've got ample chest. At least my bra size existed at Wal-Mart when I was heavy (46DD) I have to special order mine now. (32F) I'm waiting until I hit my goal, then going to request a reduction. B)
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    That you may NEVER be truly satisfied... Happy.. but never satisfied. There is ALWAYS another goal.. something else to hone in on and FIX...this IS a journey though so it's to be expected...
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Syneea wrote: »
    That you may NEVER be truly satisfied... Happy.. but never satisfied. There is ALWAYS another goal.. something else to hone in on and FIX...this IS a journey though so it's to be expected...

Yes, that is so true. And making new goals that are not about *losing* weight but about staying the same is much more of a challenge than I expected. I can see just how tempting it is to get into obsessive and unhealthy weight loss rather than transitioning to maintenance.
  • sureitstime
    sureitstime Posts: 67 Member
    Don't get me wrong ~ though I love my changing body, my increased energy levels I do not like the way I get aches and pains due to exercising! I wish that there was some way for me to exercise without getting injured!
  • polkadot346
    polkadot346 Posts: 14 Member
    K10D2015 wrote: »
    I never realized how much I love to workout until the weight really started coming off. The more progress I see in my body the more motivated I get to push myself harder.

Same here! It feels so good to get stronger and be able to push harder and keep up with fit people! Bummer is how quickly it goes away if you stop for even a week. Onward soldiers!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!