What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing also really depends on the store. In one of my favourite stores I was down to an xs/xxs top and a 0 or 2 pant while at some other stores i'm s/m and a size 4 or 6 pant.

I've found that usually the cheaper stores or stores or in stores where the target customer is older the vanity sizing is much worse. I got a tank top in XXS at a store aimed more at middle aged women while in other stores i was still wearing a medium or a large.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    idabest777 wrote: »
    Vanity sizing also really depends on the store. In one of my favourite stores I was down to an xs/xxs top and a 0 or 2 pant while at some other stores i'm s/m and a size 4 or 6 pant.

But... that negates the whole concept of sizes! If the difference is that big anyway they could just use numbers from -X to X, so you try 0 first and then go down or up, depending on what you need. How would I ever order online if it is that bad? I am somewhat okay with there being a range on what S or M or 4 or 38 means, maybe even let it overlap with another companies range for the next size. But that they are completely different? Crazy world.

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    For the person that asked- vanity sizing is a ploy by clothing makers to try to get you to buy their brand because you are a smaller size in it- people who say they are down to 160 and now wear a size 4- ummm nope you're not. I wish that women's sizes were the same as men's- just measurements and we wouldn't have this problem. I was 117 all through high school and wore a size 7. I would probably be a 0 now if I weighed that. Ridiculous. I shop at thrift stores and the clothes are older and sizing is more realistic. If you truly want to know your size, try to buy a clothing pattern going by your measurements- those haven't changed. You'd be shocked. Girls who are in our high school's sewing class are usually about in tears when they have to buy a clothing pattern for a size 14 when their jeans say size 2. So the teacher gets out a skirt she wore in high school and it looks pretty small- it's a 9- so they can see that sizes mean absolutely nothing.

I think we've gone from one extreme to another with women's clothing sizes in the US honestly. I think 50 years ago you had to darn near be underweight to wear a smaller clothing size, but now if you're a normal, healthy weight you need a XS or a XXS in some cases.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    MeadowRae wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    idabest777 wrote: »

But... that negates the whole concept of sizes! If the difference is that big anyway they could just use numbers from -X to X, so you try 0 first and then go down or up, depending on what you need. How would I ever order online if it is that bad? I am somewhat okay with there being a range on what S or M or 4 or 38 means, maybe even let it overlap with another companies range for the next size. But that they are completely different? Crazy world.

It really can be that bad. I have had three different sizes of pants fit at the same time. A lot of companies offer a sizing chart online, so at least that helps.

I would say that the thing I learn when losing weight is how shallow people really are. Like why are you treating me differently now? Oh....right.

Yeah I went thrift store shopping for pants a few weeks ago, and fit everything from a 0 to an 8 depending on the brand. Very annoying to never have any idea what size to shop for, as even the pants that use waist measurements are completely different. Compared 2 pairs of 26 that were about the same cut, and one had at least 3-4 more inches around the waist.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!