WHAT, NESTLE, HOW COULD YOU?!?!

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Right on, do it and report back with detailed findings! :smile: I think that’s a keen observation about Swiss chocolate, if memory serves they invented a process for making chocolate that results in a much smoother end product. [remembers there is a thing called the Internet] Ah yes, it’s called a conche and was invented by Lindt in 1879, and it’s a special mixer typa thing.

I confess that though I want to like dark chocolate, I still really love the milk stuff best.

You know, I never considered myself as having a "refined palate" lol so its actually really cool to find out its not in my head and I am picking up on these nuances and actually enjoying what I like because of them!
    Swiss chocolate went down in quality about ten years when ingredients were relaxed - Belgian and French chocolates are much better now. Trust me on this - I've been a chocolate mule across Europe for 20+ years.

I don't trust you!!! Only because I want to try for myself hehe!! You are only giving me more reasons to get myself to Europe... :blush: I do have a man of interest who lives in Switzerland, we will be seeing each other in a couple months. Maybe, just maybe I can convince him to do a little shopping for me. *hrmmm!!!!!*

Tell him to buy Neuhaus. Use that as you yardstick.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Swiss chocolate, in general, I find to be overrated.

Big fan of the Belgian stuff, though.

You know..friends of mine went to Belgium and brought back chocolates...verrry good, they were Cailler...and saying how that rivals my Swiss chocolate. Except, when I looked on the package, it had a Swiss flag on it. LoL So I still have yet to try any Belgian chocolate.

I know people talk about Swiss chocolates a lot, (including myself!!) but its all Ive ever had besides American chocolate or chocolates made for sale in America (because indeed...the same product overseas can be so different than what they ship here because of the gvt regulations here).

Swiss chocolate went down in quality about ten years when ingredients were relaxed - Belgian and French chocolates are much better now. Trust me on this - I've been a chocolate mule across Europe for 20+ years.

This is very interesting. Last I’ve had chocolate over there, about a year ago now, I bought some from chocolatiers, not supermarkets. It’s different when you buy stuff off the shelves. Pity, that. Alas, at least there will always be chocolate (I hope…).

I buy Lindt from the supermarket because that's just my base stock - pepper/salt and caramel/wasabi. But since I go to Lille France every week and drive through Belgium, I also do chocolate runs there.

Probably the best I've ever tasted : http://www.benoitchocolats.com/en/our-history/

Met him last week at his store. Just impressive taste.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    was anyone saying that the purpose of this change was to help people lose weight (genuine question)?

I prefer to eat natural when possible. I don't harbor any delusions that it makes a kitkat healthy. But I'd rather eat a kitkat with all natural ingredients than one pumped with chemicals and preservatives. If you haven't had all natural chocolate before, I can assure you it does not taste like butt. In my experience it is completely delicious and way tastier than the chocolate in your average candy bar and a THOUSAND times tastier than that really fake tasting chocolate in cheap easter treats, etc. A real chunk of all natural dark milk chocolate is my number one indulgent treat...you can get bricks of it at whole foods. It is exactly the level of sweetness that I like. Not to mention cadbury whilst actually in the UK...*kitten* is incredible.

+1. Give me the real stuff anytime.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I no longer buy Nestle products since reading this:

http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree#overview

It's off topic to the issue of artificial colouring - but, yes, it concerns me too.

A few years ago there were widespread boycotts of Nestles in response to their unethical marketing of formula in 3rd world countries. Nestles did respond to pressure and improve - but, as feared, once the issue fades from the public eye they gradually creep back to their old practices.

- the same reason why I boycott Nestle
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Nestle has a lot of brands, for those who boycott-
    http://www.nestle.com/aboutus/ourbrands

I didn't know about the formula issue. I don't fault them for the candy changes. People want to feel like they're eating better food, even if it's chocolate. It's marketing. If you prefer more cheaply made candy, it's on the shelf.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    Did anyone here about the salmonella scare in Cadburys a few yrs ago? It was obviously in the UK. Just wondered how far it spread. Free 500 calories for anyone knows how that happened. If you think additives are bad lol

I'd like to reiterate this point. I'm am always wary of preservative free foods because it means bacteria growth will occur far more quickly, especially if the food has not been prepared or stored in ideal conditions. Unless you made it yourself or watched it being made, you really don't know how safe that "all natural" food really is. Preservatives act as a 2nd line of defense against mistakes in preparation, handling and storage. Yes, there are down sides but it's quite telling that we now see so little food poisoning in the modern world that when it does occur, it makes the news.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Nestle has a lot of brands, for those who boycott-
    http://www.nestle.com/aboutus/ourbrands

I didn't know about the formula issue. I don't fault them for the candy changes. People want to feel like they're eating better food, even if it's chocolate. It's marketing. If you prefer more cheaply made candy, it's on the shelf.

Hm, I'm not giving up haagen dazs... And interesting to note that the same company makes lean cuisine, hot pockets, and stouffers.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    It might be the same amount of calories but at least you won't be at a higher risk for cancer for eating all that crap. :D
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

I buy Lindt from the supermarket because that's just my base stock - pepper/salt and caramel/wasabi. But since I go to Lille France every week and drive through Belgium, I also do chocolate runs there.

Probably the best I've ever tasted : http://www.benoitchocolats.com/en/our-history/

Met him last week at his store. Just impressive taste.

I am saving this information in the hopes that I’ll get to try it! :smile: In the meantime, supermarket it is. And salt & caramel has got to be one of my favourites. As are all things spicy.

I don't trust you!!! Only because I want to try for myself hehe!! You are only giving me more reasons to get myself to Europe... :blush: I do have a man of interest who lives in Switzerland, we will be seeing each other in a couple months. Maybe, just maybe I can convince him to do a little shopping for me. *hrmmm!!!!!*

I just really like that you used the expression “man of interest”. I suddenly feel like I’m in an episode of White Collar, chocolate edition.

Also, sorry all for going rather off topic the artificial colours/flavourings discussion. I have tried to avoid such things in the past, but after seeing a perfectly healthy person get sick I sort of stopped caring. Not exactly statistically relevant, but what can you do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hershey is never worth the calories for me.
    With the exception of Reese's Cups and the bastardized US Cadbury Eggs, I completely agree.

I can't stand those eggs. I'm weird I guess. I didn't know that hershey made Reese's cups.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »

I'm angry now - they keep telling us sweeties are not getting smaller but that's 62g, my snicker is only 48g - basterds!
    They do this so they do not need to raise prices when food prices change. Unfortunately if you love chocolate or coffee you will see prices going up on coffee and smaller bars soon. The price of both commodities has doubled in the last 3 yrs.

Free economics lesson :smiley:

Shame it's wrong, the prices have rises 'coz inflation. Believe me, I'd be delighted to still be paying 20p for a smaller bar (and 50p for petrol and £10 a week for my gas, for that matter). I'd also like a baby Jigglypuff but life sucks ;)
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    It might be the same amount of calories but at least you won't be at a higher risk for cancer for eating all that crap. :D
    s2bohqytfe9m.jpg

• Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Man, I friggin' LOVE chemicals.

7W5F0i0.jpg

Tocopherol, unghhh.. more please.. wanna rub it on mah faaace..
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Mars better not follow suit and start effing with Snickers or there WILL be trouble :neutral_face:
    (I'm still pissed off they're not called Marathon anymore)

They were called Marathon?? As in, run a marathon and then eat a chocolate bar?? I like that!

Yes, I don't know what they were called over there. They were Marathon here and Snickers in Europe and they changed loads of stuff so it was the same name in the EU.

Changing Jif to Cif annoyed me too (bathroom cleaner not peanut butter) I don't like change :(

There is talk of them trying to mess with our Irn Bru too - they can't sell it in the US because the colouring is illegal over there XD

ahhh i still remember marathon, jif, oil of ulay and opal fruits

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Right on, do it and report back with detailed findings! :smile: I think that’s a keen observation about Swiss chocolate, if memory serves they invented a process for making chocolate that results in a much smoother end product. [remembers there is a thing called the Internet] Ah yes, it’s called a conche and was invented by Lindt in 1879, and it’s a special mixer typa thing.

I confess that though I want to like dark chocolate, I still really love the milk stuff best.

You know, I never considered myself as having a "refined palate" lol so its actually really cool to find out its not in my head and I am picking up on these nuances and actually enjoying what I like because of them!

Tell him to buy Neuhaus. Use that as you yardstick.

Might not need to - we have Neuhaus boutiques in the US, and they ship.

But, although I know the chocolate is made in Belgium and shipped here for sale, I don't know if there are changes made for the US market.

Man, it's been probably 20+ years since I had Neuhaus - used to love them. I remember getting a chocolate soldier and a huge slice of chocolate cake from one of their boutiques (that has since closed) when I was about 6 or 7 yrs. old. First and only time I ended up with hives from over-consumption of chocolate. Lesson learned. Do not have a massive chocolate drink and a massive slice of chocolate cake with chocolate ganache plus a couple of complimentary chocolates in one sitting.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Mars better not follow suit and start effing with Snickers or there WILL be trouble :neutral_face:

They were called Marathon?? As in, run a marathon and then eat a chocolate bar?? I like that!

Yes, I don't know what they were called over there. They were Marathon here and Snickers in Europe and they changed loads of stuff so it was the same name in the EU.

Changing Jif to Cif annoyed me too (bathroom cleaner not peanut butter) I don't like change :(

There is talk of them trying to mess with our Irn Bru too - they can't sell it in the US because the colouring is illegal over there XD

ahhh i still remember marathon, jif, oil of ulay and opal fruits

Haha but Choco Krispies was a step too far!! We are showing our age :(

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Haha. Pretty sure the giant 'sharing size' *snicker* snickers would require running a marathon to burn off.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the privilege of living near Hershey Park. Chocolate world's logo includes the Reese's cup.

Let us remember, some of the people picking the cocoa beans have never even tasted chocolate candy. Some have no clue why people even buy the beans after they handle them. There are bigger issues in life than Nestle changing their ingredients. Get over it; be happy you can even afford to buy it.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    bumpin
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lindy Salted Carmel bar. They are only $1 at Target and are the best chocolatey goodness ever. They make other flavors, but the salted caramel does it for me.