Did I sabotage my diet plan?

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP,

I would like to ask you this and if you have read my comments before on the forum with a thread such as this one it may come as I sound like a broken record but anyways ....

Would you go to a barber to bake your birthday cake?

If you have questions about your diet/nutrition see a dietitian or nutritionist.

As for your workout instructor let him focus on your workout plans.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    just wanted to add that there are some legitimate purposes to 'detoxes'. I have severe allergies - many of them foods - and because they present differently than most food allergies, they hadn't been discovered by allergy testing. I was extremely sick even though I was eating 'healthfully' about 15 years ago now. I asked a friend who was a nurse help me create a diet to detox my body - i wasn't looking to lose weight - i was looking to elimiante whatever was making me feel crappy. It was one of the best decisions of my life, because I discovered all my food allergies and am now healthier than i ever have been, from avoiding these foods.

I think you might be confusing detox with an elimination diet.

this. your body processing food and then not eating any more of said food is not a detox.

Some detox diets are very similiar to elimination diet i.e. wild rose - gets rid of gluten, yeast, anything fermented, dairy, high glycemic index foods, organic only, etc. Going on a pre-cleanse diet like wild rose could helps some people identify food intolerances or possible difficulties with sugar (through lowering carbs). An elimination diet has helped a lot of people I know, but they are only really necessary when someone is having symptoms of a possible food intolerance/chemical sensitivities/insulin resistance i.e. tummy troubles, headaches, fatigue, irritability, cognitive problems etc.

An elimination diet consists of removing suspected allergens from one's diet ... it has nothing to do with eating wild rose or anything esle to "detox" the body.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergies-elimination-diet

Once again ...
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

I'm just saying that an elimination diet and a "detox" diet often remove the same food items, and either could help the dieter to realize that they have existing food intolerances. I can see why someone would confuse the two. Health benefits experienced by people on a "detox" could just be from removing foods they have problems with from their diets (i.e. gluten, high gi, etc).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    just wanted to add that there are some legitimate purposes to 'detoxes'. I have severe allergies - many of them foods - and because they present differently than most food allergies, they hadn't been discovered by allergy testing. I was extremely sick even though I was eating 'healthfully' about 15 years ago now. I asked a friend who was a nurse help me create a diet to detox my body - i wasn't looking to lose weight - i was looking to elimiante whatever was making me feel crappy. It was one of the best decisions of my life, because I discovered all my food allergies and am now healthier than i ever have been, from avoiding these foods.

this. your body processing food and then not eating any more of said food is not a detox.

Some detox diets are very similiar to elimination diet i.e. wild rose - gets rid of gluten, yeast, anything fermented, dairy, high glycemic index foods, organic only, etc. Going on a pre-cleanse diet like wild rose could helps some people identify food intolerances or possible difficulties with sugar (through lowering carbs). An elimination diet has helped a lot of people I know, but they are only really necessary when someone is having symptoms of a possible food intolerance/chemical sensitivities/insulin resistance i.e. tummy troubles, headaches, fatigue, irritability, cognitive problems etc.

An elimination diet consists of removing suspected allergens from one's diet ... it has nothing to do with eating wild rose or anything esle to "detox" the body.

Once again ...
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

I'm just saying that an elimination diet and a "detox" diet often remove the same food items, and either could help the dieter to realize that they have existing food intolerances. I can see why someone would confuse the two. Health benefits experienced by people on a "detox" could just be from removing foods they have problems with from their diets (i.e. gluten, high gi, etc).

You're intermixing disparate terms.

An elimination diet removes potential allergens in an effort to identify them.

A detox removes toxins.

Allergens and toxins are different things.
  • kyta32
    Options

Once again ...

A detox removes toxins.

Operational definition: When I am referring to a "detox" diet, I am referring to a diet that advertises itself as a detox diet. I am not making any claims to that diet's effectiveness in removing toxins from the body.

It is a word choice, and criticising someone's use of language is against MFP forum guidelines.

Obviously, most diets already assist the body in removing toxins (by providing water, energy, protein, fat, and micronutrients to support the body's natural processes). "Detox" diets often encourage eating fruits and vegetables, which have phytonutrients and antioxidants (prevent disease), and reduce foods that have more "toxins" in them, by promoting organic foods, and eliminating foods like processed meat (nitrates/nitrites) that contribute to disease.

And, my point stands. There are diets that advertise themselves as "detox" that are really elimination diets. So long as there are no inherent risks to the proposed diet, there is no reason to attack someone for following it, or to call them gullible. OP is not proposing doing the Master Cleanse. If she wants to try eating a little differently for a couple of weeks, she will in that time figure out for herself if anything in the meal plan works for her. If not, she can choose just not to do it again. Concerns can be expressed without insults. And, lessons can be learned from the experience. The Wild Rose diet wasn't for me long term, but I am benefitting now from the lessons I learned when following it (i.e. I need dairy to diet successfully and I can eat brown rice, popcorn, and almonds till I'm stuffed, and stay at a deficit). And, to OP -

+1 for getting back on the wagon after a binge. As far as I can tell, the diet is not harmful. In general, try to meet macros and micros and stay in a calorie deficit, and weight loss will be achieved. One binge does not mean the journey ends. Twenty binges doesn't mean the journey ends. If a food is making it harder to stay in your calorie deficit, or just makes you feel awful when you eat it, consider reducing it. If not, feel free to include it. Most people got overweight by eating a little too much everyday, not from binges. Most people can lose weight when eating a calorie range, not the exact same number of calories every day. And most people can lose the weight even when their dietary adherence isn't perfect. Best wishes on the journey :)
  • brianpperkins
    edited February 2015
    Options

Once again ...

A detox removes toxins.

Operational definition: When I am referring to a "detox" diet, I am referring to a diet that advertises itself as a detox diet. I am not making any claims to that diet's effectiveness in removing toxins from the body.

It is a word choice, and criticising someone's use of language is against MFP forum guidelines.

Obviously, most diets already assist the body in removing toxins (by providing water, energy, protein, fat, and micronutrients to support the body's natural processes). "Detox" diets often encourage eating fruits and vegetables, which have phytonutrients and antioxidants (prevent disease), and reduce foods that have more "toxins" in them, by promoting organic foods, and eliminating foods like processed meat (nitrates/nitrites) that contribute to disease.

And, my point stands. There are diets that advertise themselves as "detox" that are really elimination diets. So long as there are no inherent risks to the proposed diet, there is no reason to attack someone for following it, or to call them gullible. OP is not proposing doing the Master Cleanse. If she wants to try eating a little differently for a couple of weeks, she will in that time figure out for herself if anything in the meal plan works for her. If not, she can choose just not to do it again. Concerns can be expressed without insults. And, lessons can be learned from the experience. The Wild Rose diet wasn't for me long term, but I am benefitting now from the lessons I learned when following it (i.e. I need dairy to diet successfully and I can eat brown rice, popcorn, and almonds till I'm stuffed, and stay at a deficit). And, to OP -

+1 for getting back on the wagon after a binge. As far as I can tell, the diet is not harmful. In general, try to meet macros and micros and stay in a calorie deficit, and weight loss will be achieved. One binge does not mean the journey ends. Twenty binges doesn't mean the journey ends. If a food is making it harder to stay in your calorie deficit, or just makes you feel awful when you eat it, consider reducing it. If not, feel free to include it. Most people got overweight by eating a little too much everyday, not from binges. Most people can lose weight when eating a calorie range, not the exact same number of calories every day. And most people can lose the weight even when their dietary adherence isn't perfect. Best wishes on the journey :)

Once again ...

A detox removes toxins.

Now you're talking about "detox diets"? It seems you can't keep your own story straight.

Noting a deliberate word choice that intentionally interchanges opposing terms is not commenting on one's mastery of written English or their spelling.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Once again ...

A detox removes toxins.

Pointing out your wrongness is not against forum rules.....just an FYI
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Wait. You "think" you had food allergies even though you didn't test positive for them, so you eliminated certain foods? Well, it's not a food allergy then, and it's not a detox.

There are sensitivities to things in certain food groups that some small subsets of people have that can't be tested for. Things like salicylate sensitivy, for example.

But calling eliminating food groups a detox and calling feeling crappy a food allergy?

seh6p.gif

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Once again ...

A detox removes toxins.

Telling someone that they are using a word incorrectly is not against forum guidelines.

And just because diets advertise themselves as detox diets, and are really elimination diets in disguise doesn't mean that those two things are the same or interchangeable. In fact, using that claim to support your idea is more than a little bit ridiculous.

There is no reason for a trainer to suggest either a detox OR an elimination diet for someone who is just stepping up their weight lifting intensity. That's the point.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

But, but, but... there are no "toxins" being removed by the elimination of any foods from the diet. Calling something a "detox" diet is just ridiculous. I don't even want to know what a "pre-cleanse diet" is.

• kyta32
    Options

But, but, but... there are no "toxins" being removed by the elimination of any foods from the diet. Calling something a "detox" diet is just ridiculous. I don't even want to know what a "pre-cleanse diet" is.

So you don't think eliminating foods with mercury, horomones, pesticides, or nitrites is removing toxins from the diet?
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh ditch the trainer please. Any trainer that knows what they are doing is not going to tell you to detox.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So you don't think eliminating foods with mercury, horomones, pesticides, or nitrites is removing toxins from the diet?

LOL! So what are you eating? Air?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    KirstyBorg wrote: »
    Ha! Hilarious!
    I currently have weights 12.5-15 kgs and he is going to help me push myself more.

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that as soon as I have a cheat meal I give up. But I'm learning slowly

Don't fret over it too much. Get back and dust off and keep up the gr8 work you've been doing. One day will even itself out, i would think. I'm not too much into sweets, but I don't think i could resist a chocolate fountain:) Your looking gr8 and doing gr8:) The most excellent luck on your fitness journey:)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Not the same thing as implying that the function of the diet is a detox.

If someone wants to eat fish without mercury, hormone free dairy, organic produce and nitrate free meats, it's pretty damned easy to find these products and do what you want without labeling it something akin to a junkie entering a clinic. Considering that their counterparts are all considered safe for consumption by the USDA, I wouldn't call the hormones, pesticides, or limited amounts of nitrates and mercury toxic. The liver and kidneys handle those things just fine and need no help. Labeling the diet a "detox" is misleading.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Has the OP even come back?
    I skipped most of the posts, because as always on these types of threads, they will all roundabouts say the same thing :wink: :huh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If someone wants to eat fish without mercury, hormone free dairy, organic produce and nitrate free meats, it's pretty damned easy to find these products and do what you want without labeling it something akin to a junkie entering a clinic. Considering that their counterparts are all considered safe for consumption by the USDA, I wouldn't call the hormones, pesticides, or limited amounts of nitrates and mercury toxic. The liver and kidneys handle those things just fine and need no help. Labeling the diet a "detox" is misleading.

Don't all fish have some sort of trace of mercury in them? And aren't nitrates naturally occurring in many vegetables and fruits, though?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Don't all fish have some sort of trace of mercury in them? And aren't nitrates naturally occurring in many vegetables and fruits, though?
    Nitrites are common in root vegetables, nitrates in green leafy ones.

Here we are on page 8 .. the OP still hasn't given details of her trainer provided "detox" "jumpstart" "diet" "diet plan" while kyta keeps redefining terms every time her posts are countered with logic and fact.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Oh no, that's it. We're doomed. Need to detox. Now. Probably can't. I doubt that even water is safe.

22289747.jpg

Here we are on page 8 .. the OP still hasn't given details of her trainer provided "detox" "jumpstart" "diet" "diet plan" while kyta keeps redefining terms every time her posts are countered with logic and fact.

Shhh... or else links will come next.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Oh no, that's it. We're doomed. Need to detox. Now. Probably can't. I doubt that even water is safe.

22289747.jpg

Shhh... or else links will come next.

I think we should all concentrate on detoxifying our bodies of dihydrogen monoxide ...that stuff is lethal

Linky linky http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html