Did I sabotage my diet plan?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When I left there were chocolate fountains and unicorns were getting ready to shoot gold coins out their butts. Fill me in on the good parts, (TL:DR), doesn't look like I missed too much in the 90+ comments since then eh??
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Operational definition: When I am referring to a "detox" diet, I am referring to a diet that advertises itself as a detox diet. I am not making any claims to that diet's effectiveness in removing toxins from the body.

It is a word choice, and criticising someone's use of language is against MFP forum guidelines.

Obviously, most diets already assist the body in removing toxins (by providing water, energy, protein, fat, and micronutrients to support the body's natural processes). "Detox" diets often encourage eating fruits and vegetables, which have phytonutrients and antioxidants (prevent disease), and reduce foods that have more "toxins" in them, by promoting organic foods, and eliminating foods like processed meat (nitrates/nitrites) that contribute to disease.

And, my point stands. There are diets that advertise themselves as "detox" that are really elimination diets. So long as there are no inherent risks to the proposed diet, there is no reason to attack someone for following it, or to call them gullible. OP is not proposing doing the Master Cleanse. If she wants to try eating a little differently for a couple of weeks, she will in that time figure out for herself if anything in the meal plan works for her. If not, she can choose just not to do it again. Concerns can be expressed without insults. And, lessons can be learned from the experience. The Wild Rose diet wasn't for me long term, but I am benefitting now from the lessons I learned when following it (i.e. I need dairy to diet successfully and I can eat brown rice, popcorn, and almonds till I'm stuffed, and stay at a deficit). And, to OP -

+1 for getting back on the wagon after a binge. As far as I can tell, the diet is not harmful. In general, try to meet macros and micros and stay in a calorie deficit, and weight loss will be achieved. One binge does not mean the journey ends. Twenty binges doesn't mean the journey ends. If a food is making it harder to stay in your calorie deficit, or just makes you feel awful when you eat it, consider reducing it. If not, feel free to include it. Most people got overweight by eating a little too much everyday, not from binges. Most people can lose weight when eating a calorie range, not the exact same number of calories every day. And most people can lose the weight even when their dietary adherence isn't perfect. Best wishes on the journey :)

This is why I say that I should just validate everything silly little thing posted.

It's obvious there are a lot of people that just want a rubber stamp, and not to be shown a good direction to move towards. This post I quoted just proves that. They're even willfully misquoting forum rules in order to attempt to cow others into rubber stamping.

It's like... whoa. Is this real life?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Btw, I had to jumpstart my weightloss with a detox plan, so I've been putting in an extra hour in the gym daily on the bike.

Consider me jumpstartered.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    So do you jumpstart your diet by attaching a car battery to your nipples? Just curious.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So do you jumpstart your diet by attaching a car battery to your nipples? Just curious.

I've done that, it was enlightening.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I've done that, it was enlightening.

cough*
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Ouch. I actually cringed.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I connect the cables lower.
  • dbmata
    Options

word.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can any of the adherents (or anyone really) provide me a good definition of what "jumpstarting" and "kickstarting" actually means? I want a knuckled-down definition of these often repeated terms.

I did do a google on "what does jumpstart a diet mean?" and all I get are pages and pages of how-to, which is meaningless without an understanding of terms.

It is my understanding that the only time person needs to "jumpstart" or "kickstart" their metabolism is when their heart has stopped beating with a defibrillator.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

laughs! B! :grinning:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can any of the adherents (or anyone really) provide me a good definition of what "jumpstarting" and "kickstarting" actually means? I want a knuckled-down definition of these often repeated terms.

I did do a google on "what does jumpstart a diet mean?" and all I get are pages and pages of how-to, which is meaningless without an understanding of terms.

It is my understanding that the only time person needs to "jumpstart" or "kickstart" their metabolism is when their heart has stopped beating with a defibrillator.

But a defibrillator isn't used on a heart that's stopped beating ..cos science
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's not? What device am I thinking of?

ETA: From The American Heart Association "an electronic device gives an electric shock to the heart. This helps reestablish normal contraction rhythms in a heart having dangerous arrhythmia or in cardiac arrest."

Whoops overstated it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited February 2015
    Options

pace maker? I'm gonna say de·fib·ril·la·tor
  • Sued0nim
    Options

None ...it's just in movies ..and they are wrong ...once a heart flatlines a defibrillator is no use ...it's used for irregular rhythms
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You are thinking of a defibrillator, although it technically attempts to correct electrical issues with the heart (that may or may not produce a pulse). If you heart has zero electrical activity, the defibrillator is useless.
    Options

None ...it's just in movies ..and they are wrong ...once a heart flatlines a defibrillator is no use ...it's used for irregular rhythms
    I guess I need to do better fact checking.

And I try so hard.

:'(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

But I like the movies. What's the pace maker for?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I didn't know this! Learn something new every day :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I guess I need to do better fact checking.

And I try so hard.

:'(

Awww

:smile:

CPR or John Travolta in Pulp Fiction :wink: