Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Can any of the adherents (or anyone really) provide me a good definition of what "jumpstarting" and "kickstarting" actually means? I want a knuckled-down definition of these often repeated terms.

I did do a google on "what does jumpstart a diet mean?" and all I get are pages and pages of how-to, which is meaningless without an understanding of terms.

It is my understanding that the only time person needs to "jumpstart" or "kickstart" their metabolism is when their heart has stopped beating with a defibrillator.

But a defibrillator isn't used on a heart that's stopped beating ..cos science
    It's not? What device am I thinking of?

None ...it's just in movies ..and they are wrong ...once a heart flatlines a defibrillator is no use ...it's used for irregular rhythms
    But I like the movies. What's the pace maker for?

Pacemaker is for someone who has a heart rate that is too slow to produce adequate profusion of blood. It increases the rate of electrical activity in the heart.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    So do you jumpstart your diet by attaching a car battery to your nipples? Just curious.

I've done that, it was enlightening.

Kinky.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    So do you jumpstart your diet by attaching a car battery to your nipples? Just curious.
    I connect the cables lower.

+1 Kinky

• elphie754
    Options
    I connect the cables lower.

+1 Kinky

My kind of person lol!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can any of the adherents (or anyone really) provide me a good definition of what "jumpstarting" and "kickstarting" actually means? I want a knuckled-down definition of these often repeated terms.

I did do a google on "what does jumpstart a diet mean?" and all I get are pages and pages of how-to, which is meaningless without an understanding of terms.

It is my understanding that the only time person needs to "jumpstart" or "kickstart" their metabolism is when their heart has stopped beating with a defibrillator.

But a defibrillator isn't used on a heart that's stopped beating ..cos science
    It's not? What device am I thinking of?

None ...it's just in movies ..and they are wrong ...once a heart flatlines a defibrillator is no use ...it's used for irregular rhythms
    But I like the movies. What's the pace maker for?

Pacemaker is for someone who has a heart rate that is too slow to produce adequate profusion of blood. It increases the rate of electrical activity in the heart.

Well now that you've explained both, I don't want either!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

There is no "jumpstarting" or "kickstarting" a diet. I think for the people who adhere to the philosophy, it's sort of a line in the sand type of thing. I think that they believe a quick, drastic, often draconian change to their ways will signal a fresh start for them.

Dieting is a big head game to me. I think the people who need the idea of a "kickstart" are drawn to the drama (loaded word, not meant to be loaded) of making a stand, and need something significant to mark an event to send a message to themselves that now they mean srs bsns. I'm not sure that this translates into long-term stick-to-itiveness, though.

For some, who knows? It might work. Maybe the initial drop of water weight might be a good incentive. For others, it's just another way to cling to the idea of yet another quick fix.

• elphie754
    Options
    To alleviate some confusion:

When you no longer have a pulse, you are considered to be in cardiac arrest (with the exception of someone who has an LVAD and usually do not have a pulse even when alert). In cardiac arrest, your heart can be doing a few things. It can have no electrical activity, which is called asystole, and is the typical "flat line" they show in movies and TV shows. The treatment for such is CPr and medications to attempt to "restart" the heart. It can also be "quivering" meaning it has electrical output, but it is so erratic it does not produce a pulse. This is called ventricular fibrillation. That is treated by defibrillation (where the Device gets its name) as well as medication to try and correct the electrical issue. Ventricular tachycardia is also treated with electricity, and may or may not produce a pulse (although is not a life sustainable rythym and will rest in death if not corrected). You can also have electrical output with no pulse (pulseless electrical activity) that looks like a normal rythym but heart isnt pumping, treated with cpr and medication.

Just wanted to clarify since movies are so wrong. Defibrillation is only useful in certain cases of cardiac arrest. It also has applications in those with a pulse (known as synchronized cardioversion) to correct irregular heart rhythms.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    ^Thank you Elphie. Total fact-checking fail on my part.
    Options

There is no "jumpstarting" or "kickstarting" a diet. I think for the people who adhere to the philosophy, it's sort of a line in the sand type of thing. I think that they believe a quick, drastic, often draconian change to their ways will signal a fresh start for them.

Dieting is a big head game to me. I think the people who need the idea of a "kickstart" are drawn to the drama (loaded word, not meant to be loaded) of making a stand, and need something significant to mark an event to send a message to themselves that now they mean srs bsns. I'm not sure that this translates into long-term stick-to-itiveness, though.

For some, who knows? It might work. Maybe the initial drop of water weight might be a good incentive. For others, it's just another way to cling to the idea of yet another quick fix.
    Yes, I do understand there is no such thing as ""jumpstarting" or "kickstarting" a diet, but I like to work within the terms that these diet schemes babble about to probe for internal inconsistencies (if there are any) so I ask an adherent to provide that for me.

I do think you are correct about the "drama" part and catchy words make it seem like you are doing "something" what? We don't know, but something, even if it is misguided.
  • elphie754
    Options

No problem. Lot easier to explain here than to a family member who doesn't understand why you are not "shocking" their family member to bring them back. Movies and TV are really good about spreadin misinformation (about many things not just medicine). Their fact checkers don't seem to do their job too well.
    Options

No problem. Lot easier to explain here than to a family member who doesn't understand why you are not "shocking" their family member to bring them back. Movies and TV are really good about spreadin misinformation (about many things not just medicine). Their fact checkers don't seem to do their job too well.
    Why I love the Mythbusters so much.
  • elphie754
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    To alleviate some confusion:

When you no longer have a pulse, you are considered to be in cardiac arrest (with the exception of someone who has an LVAD and usually do not have a pulse even when alert). In cardiac arrest, your heart can be doing a few things. It can have no electrical activity, which is called asystole, and is the typical "flat line" they show in movies and TV shows. The treatment for such is CPr and medications to attempt to "restart" the heart. It can also be "quivering" meaning it has electrical output, but it is so erratic it does not produce a pulse. This is called ventricular fibrillation. That is treated by defibrillation (where the Device gets its name) as well as medication to try and correct the electrical issue. Ventricular tachycardia is also treated with electricity, and may or may not produce a pulse (although is not a life sustainable rythym and will rest in death if not corrected). You can also have electrical output with no pulse (pulseless electrical activity) that looks like a normal rythym but heart isnt pumping, treated with cpr and medication.

Just wanted to clarify since movies are so wrong. Defibrillation is only useful in certain cases of cardiac arrest. It also has applications in those with a pulse (known as synchronized cardioversion) to correct irregular heart rhythms.

Let's debate. I challenge you to a duel.

You also forgot to add that D-Fib's are usually useless except for getting you in trouble when you leave them on scene. And that they never show you on TV the epi, atropine and vaso that is really doing the work.

Dual with "old school" paddles? Sure!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You'll need to sacrifice two goats. Those goats must be vegan AND gluten free, or the plan will not work. On the second tuesday of March, at EXACTLY 12:02:34, you must be at the top of the tallest hill or mountain in your area. You'll need to carry the goats, because they need their rest. Once you get to the top, create a circle of glitter (the color must be cerulean) and hop on your left foot 40 times. Then, give the goats an oreo each. The chemicals in the oreo will kill the goats. After the goats have passed, you must carry them back down and give them an honorable burial. Then, your diet plan will be back on track.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    You'll need to sacrifice two goats. Those goats must be vegan AND gluten free, or the plan will not work. On the second tuesday of March, at EXACTLY 12:02:34, you must be at the top of the tallest hill or mountain in your area. You'll need to carry the goats, because they need their rest. Once you get to the top, create a circle of glitter (the color must be cerulean) and hop on your left foot 40 times. Then, give the goats an oreo each. The chemicals in the oreo will kill the goats. After the goats have passed, you must carry them back down and give them an honorable burial. Then, your diet plan will be back on track.
    zr7ybusuekx6.gif
    I LIKE you !

• elphie754
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »

Since Oreos have cream, and wheat, wouldn't that make the goat no longer vegan and no longer gluten free? Just want to make sure I do the ritual correctly.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I read the whole thread. ROFLOL on the comments!! It's not even Friday yet!! :p

OP as everyone stated ditch the trainer he/she has no ideal what they are talking about!! As for the chocolate fountain.....well....oh yeah just get back at tomorrow. ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

my last girl friend liked to do stuff like that …

not sure if it jumpstarted my metabolism though ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

it means take whatever magical diet/pill/detox etc is currently popular, do it for two weeks, and you are then "jumpstarted"