Scratches head and thinks WTF...

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    my favourite is vegetarians in general

there are 600 species of carniverous plants.. thats right, the food you live on, as a vegetarian, lives on meat ...

obviously the common one is venus fly trap, but there are another 599...

put that in your bamboo pipe and smoke it

hold on.... your point is??

this... so there are 600 species of plants that "eat meat" of the 350000 estimated species of plants the world has (excluding the fungi and the algae). Ergo, plants are carnivorous? ...

no, depending on your reasoning for not eating meat, i.e. taste preference , then fair enough,

but if its because you dont agree morally with it, then you are on a losing battle. the plants eat meat themselves

ahh.... see how your chicken and sausages are full of horse meat? yeh... thats why I don't eat it, industrial farming methods are bad news man, thats got nothing to do with carnivorous plants.

I personally think if you cant kill it, don't eat it.

animals, even if they are going to be eaten should be treated humanely and you might want to look into how meat is processed on an industrial "tesco" scale. not in terms of "oh the poor animal" but the fact that its contaminated with feces, ecoli, is full of antibiotics and hormones.

personally I think about eating meat sometimes, I eat fish and if I had to i.e desert island situation, i.d totally eat whatever is there.

in the real world, I'd want to know where my chicken, or beef, or whatever comes from, so I can see their farm, support the local butcher and know where my meat has come from.

otherwise your eating chicken kiev with a side of horse meat, antibiotics and maybe a lill bit of poo.

good industrial revolution. what will it think of next.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

there are 600 species of carniverous plants.. thats right, the food you live on, as a vegetarian, lives on meat ...

this... so there are 600 species of plants that "eat meat" of the 350000 estimated species of plants the world has (excluding the fungi and the algae). Ergo, plants are carnivorous? ...

no, depending on your reasoning for not eating meat, i.e. taste preference , then fair enough,

but if its because you dont agree morally with it, then you are on a losing battle. the plants eat meat themselves
    Could you name one just one carnivorous plant that practices factory farming, feeds its prey growth hormones,or keeps them locked in a cage their whole life etc

I bet raisins would do that, sneaky little b*****s! Not that they are born raisins... I think it's just the really bad *kitten* ones that become raisins
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My favorite post in the history of posts was a reply to the question of "what happens to your fat when you lose it?" Answer was that you pee it out, it's what's in your pee when it looks oily.

LMAO
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Could you name one just one carnivorous plant that practices factory farming, feeds its prey growth hormones,or keeps them locked in a cage their whole life etc

depends on your preffered size of cage, what you consider growth hormones, and at which point, farming becomes factory process,

i would say a multitude of the vines that are carniverous are infact infectuous to the land they cover (factory)
    a venus fly trap is a cage? along with a whole load of others... maybe not their whole lives but its a pretty brutal way of killing

growth hormones is about the only thing i dont think the plants get up too,

how do you feel about eggs? free range or other?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Could you tell me one animal that cares it was horribly slaughtered and tortured by 'man' rather than being horribly slaughtered and tortured by nature?

;)

Also, I'll just leave this here:
    http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/
    Well me, I'm one animal that cares...I'm not a preachy vegan/judgmental lentil. Not going in for the great vegan/omnivore debate, thanks but no thanks.

Your life your choice.
  • nikilis
    Options
    You can call yourself vegetarian when you still eat fish? Fish is an animal I am pretty sure even if it swims instead of walks.

no, thats vegan.

Lol!
    Wait ... you're kiddin, right?

I thought vegan was an easier form of vegetarianism, where you could eat some meat but only once in a while. maybe I'm confused.
    Totally, as long as it hasn't touched dry land it's free game...Example: If a animal is being born and you are waiting with a catchers mitt ipso facto vegan.

lool. epic. cant wait for it to plop into my catchers mit. heat up the wok!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I will state this right now...Not going in for the great vegan/omnivore debate, thanks but no thanks.

I am not going to justify my lifestyle and I am not asking you to justify yours, anyone who knows me knows I am a live and let live kinda guy.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    Another All-Time Fave: " Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE!"
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

I bet raisins would do that, sneaky little b*****s! Not that they are born raisins... I think it's just the really bad *kitten* ones that become raisins
    My older brother told me raisins are dead roaches when I was little. Haven't touched them since.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Exactly.... and I don't exactly go to my greengrocers and buy a venus trap for lunch; I would hazard a guess that the average person does not eat any plants that are carnivorous....

Look, if you're going to argue that it's natural for us to eat meat, sure, maybe; all life feeds on other life. I'm not a vegetarian btw, but I do believe in eating (much!) less meat and I care about animal welfare.

But the way you are making the argument is stupid. Because some plants eat tiny insects, vegetarians are hypocritical because the plants they eat eat meat? Come on.... And there is nothing natural about western meat consumption - it's absolutely no longer based on natural needs ( the average human only needs half a pound of meat per week nutrionwise) and apart from our overconsumption being bad for animal welfare, it's also bad for the planet. CO2 emissions from raising livestock are huge, and it takes about 7 kg of grains to create 1 kg of beef, so the demands on farmland are huge. With a large part of the earth's population starving, to me, eating less meat makes sense.

But that's just my two cents.... So i'll get off of my soap box now...
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I change my answer. I think this is currently my favorite reply to a question:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1009713-frustrated

Best ever answer to worst ever question!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options

My older brother told me raisins are dead roaches when I was little. Haven't touched them since.

my sister told me they were flies. nope.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I change my answer. I think this is currently my favorite reply to a question:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1009713-frustrated

wow
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Well me, I'm one animal that cares...I'm not a preachy vegan/judgmental lentil. Not going in for the great vegan/omnivore debate, thanks but no thanks.
    I would respectfully suggest that until you your self have been horribly tortured and then killed by another entity, you don't have enough experience to know if during this rather stressful act you would actually care what said entity was.

I suspect my feelings at the time would be "just make it stop".

Oh and yes, vegetarians make me "Scratches head and thinks WTF" :).
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Errr... No. Sorry. I'm a meat eater but I also like biology.

There are no plants that get their energy from insects. "Carnivorous" is just a colloquial term, not a scientific one. Plants like Venus fly traps, for SOME of the year (but usually not year round) trap insects to get nitrogen, because the substrate they live in is very low in nitrogen. They are still autotrophs who get their energy from the sun, and actually, the process of trapping bugs for nitrogen is very costly for them. They have to make more food in order to pull it off. Which they make via photosynthesis. Saying they eat insects is a bit like saying I feed on vitamins. Do you also think that lettuce feeds on soil?

There are some heterotrophic plants that get their energy from a symbiotic or parasitic relationship with other plants or fungi, but afaik none of them parasitize animals. Although fungi are related to animals (both are Opisthokonta), I can't think of any plants that parasitize fungi (only other plants).

Damn dude, you have some seriously shabby info.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Exactly.... and I don't exactly go to my greengrocers and buy a venus trap for lunch; I would hazard a guess that the average person does not eat any plants that are carnivorous....

Look, if you're going to argue that it's natural for us to eat meat, sure, maybe; all life feeds on other life. I'm not a vegetarian btw, but I do believe in eating (much!) less meat and I care about animal welfare.

But the way you are making the argument is stupid. Because some plants eat tiny insects, vegetarians are hypocritical because the plants they eat eat meat? Come on.... And there is nothing natural about western meat consumption - it's absolutely no longer based on natural needs ( the average human only needs half a pound of meat per week nutrionwise) and apart from our overconsumption being bad for animal welfare, it's also bad for the planet. CO2 emissions from raising livestock are huge, and it takes about 7 kg of grains to create 1 kg of beef, so the demands on farmland are huge. With a large part of the earth's population starving, to me, eating less meat makes sense.

But that's just my two cents.... So i'll get off of my soap box now...

Don't get off the soap box, was just about to join you! ;-)

The last bit is exactly the point that makes no sense to the logical human brain - why grow food to feed animals to feed us? Why not just grow food?
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

There are no plants that get their energy from insects. "Carnivorous" is just a colloquial term, not a scientific one. Plants like Venus fly traps, for SOME of the year (but usually not year round) trap insects to get nitrogen, because the substrate they live in is very low in nitrogen. They are still autotrophs who get their energy from the sun, and actually, the process of trapping bugs for nitrogen is very costly for them.

There are some heterotrophic plants that get their energy from a symbiotic or parasitic relationship with other plants or fungi, but afaik none of them parasitize animals. Although fungi are related to animals (both are Opisthokonta), I can't think of any plants that parasitize fungi (only other plants).

shabby info inserted below

Carnivorous plants are plants that derive some or most of their nutrients (but not energy) from trapping and consuming animals or protozoans, typically insects and other arthropods. Carnivorous plants have adapted to grow in places where the soil is thin or poor in nutrients, especially nitrogen, such as acidic bogs and rock outcroppings. Charles Darwin wrote Insectivorous Plants, the first well-known treatise on carnivorous plants, in 1875.[4]

True carnivory is thought to have evolved independently six times in five different orders of flowering plants,[5][6] and these are now represented by more than a dozen genera. These include about 630 species that attract and trap prey, produce digestive enzymes, and absorb the resulting available nutrients.[7] Additionally, over 300 protocarnivorous plant species in several genera show some but not all these characteristics.

• nikilis
    Options
    I would respectfully suggest that until you your self have been horribly tortured and then killed by another entity, you don't have enough experience to know if during this rather stressful act you would actually care what said entity was.

now I'm Scratching my head and thinking WTF watching you scratch your head thinking WTF watching him scratch his head thinking WTF.

28466307.jpg
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

There are no plants that get their energy from insects. "Carnivorous" is just a colloquial term, not a scientific one. Plants like Venus fly traps, for SOME of the year (but usually not year round) trap insects to get nitrogen, because the substrate they live in is very low in nitrogen. They are still autotrophs who get their energy from the sun, and actually, the process of trapping bugs for nitrogen is very costly for them.

shabby info inserted below

Carnivorous plants are plants that derive some or most of their nutrients (but not energy) from trapping and consuming animals or protozoans, typically insects and other arthropods. Carnivorous plants have adapted to grow in places where the soil is thin or poor in nutrients, especially nitrogen, such as acidic bogs and rock outcroppings. Charles Darwin wrote Insectivorous Plants, the first well-known treatise on carnivorous plants, in 1875.[4]

True carnivory is thought to have evolved independently six times in five different orders of flowering plants,[5][6] and these are now represented by more than a dozen genera. These include about 630 species that attract and trap prey, produce digestive enzymes, and absorb the resulting available nutrients.[7] Additionally, over 300 protocarnivorous plant species in several genera show some but not all these characteristics.

Lol you are clueless bro, despite being able to access Wikipedia, you have no idea how these plants actually work. Not to mention, NONE of them are eaten by people.

None of those plants are heterotrophic. They don't "eat" the bugs. They get nutrients (mainly nitrogen), from the insects. You can't even give them tap water, because the nutrients in the tap water will eventually kill them by putting too many nutrients in the substrate. They get all their energy from the sun (unlike, say, a corpse flower, the algae half of lichens, or dodder)

Hmmm... How do I know? I used to raise Drosera, aka sundews. Pinguiculla, Dionaea, Darlingtonia, Drosera, etc..., all your "carnivorous" plants, photosynthesize to get energy. Not a single carbon compound passes from insect to plant.
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options

now I'm Scratching my head and thinking WTF watching you scratch your head thinking WTF watching him scratch his head thinking WTF.

28466307.jpg

Ahahah! Threadception! Word of the day!
This discussion has been closed.