Scratches head and thinks WTF...

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Well me, I'm one animal that cares...I'm not a preachy vegan/judgmental lentil. Not going in for the great vegan/omnivore debate, thanks but no thanks.
    I would respectfully suggest that until you your self have been horribly tortured and then killed by another entity, you don't have enough experience to know if during this rather stressful act you would actually care what said entity was.

I suspect my feelings at the time would be "just make it stop".

Oh and yes, vegetarians make me "Scratches head and thinks WTF" :).

now I'm Scratching my head and thinking WTF watching you scratch your head thinking WTF watching him scratch his head thinking WTF.

28466307.jpg
    I love where this thread is going...keep it coming guys
    BRING THE PAIN
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Not so much a head scratching WTF moment, but the following term makes my eyes glaze over and select another thread topic:
    "skinny fat"

Also, any thread advocating this or that snake oil as wonder supplement. JAYZUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ophidion
    Options
    my favourite is vegetarians in general

there are 600 species of carniverous plants.. thats right, the food you live on, as a vegetarian, lives on meat ...

obviously the common one is venus fly trap, but there are another 599...

put that in your bamboo pipe and smoke it

Errr... No. Sorry. I'm a meat eater but I also like biology.

There are no plants that get their energy from insects. "Carnivorous" is just a colloquial term, not a scientific one. Plants like Venus fly traps, for SOME of the year (but usually not year round) trap insects to get nitrogen, because the substrate they live in is very low in nitrogen. They are still autotrophs who get their energy from the sun, and actually, the process of trapping bugs for nitrogen is very costly for them.

There are some heterotrophic plants that get their energy from a symbiotic or parasitic relationship with other plants or fungi, but afaik none of them parasitize animals. Although fungi are related to animals (both are Opisthokonta), I can't think of any plants that parasitize fungi (only other plants).

Damn dude, you have some seriously shabby info.

shabby info inserted below

Carnivorous plants are plants that derive some or most of their nutrients (but not energy) from trapping and consuming animals or protozoans, typically insects and other arthropods. Carnivorous plants have adapted to grow in places where the soil is thin or poor in nutrients, especially nitrogen, such as acidic bogs and rock outcroppings. Charles Darwin wrote Insectivorous Plants, the first well-known treatise on carnivorous plants, in 1875.[4]

True carnivory is thought to have evolved independently six times in five different orders of flowering plants,[5][6] and these are now represented by more than a dozen genera. These include about 630 species that attract and trap prey, produce digestive enzymes, and absorb the resulting available nutrients.[7] Additionally, over 300 protocarnivorous plant species in several genera show some but not all these characteristics.

think I will throw up a couple of warnings...
    warning-6_zpsd0bee0b9.jpg
    FQR538LGKS0W0FWLARGE_zps152acf0d.jpg
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

there are 600 species of carniverous plants.. thats right, the food you live on, as a vegetarian, lives on meat ...

There are no plants that get their energy from insects. "Carnivorous" is just a colloquial term, not a scientific one. Plants like Venus fly traps, for SOME of the year (but usually not year round) trap insects to get nitrogen, because the substrate they live in is very low in nitrogen. They are still autotrophs who get their energy from the sun, and actually, the process of trapping bugs for nitrogen is very costly for them.

There are some heterotrophic plants that get their energy from a symbiotic or parasitic relationship with other plants or fungi, but afaik none of them parasitize animals. Although fungi are related to animals (both are Opisthokonta), I can't think of any plants that parasitize fungi (only other plants).

Carnivorous plants are plants that derive some or most of their nutrients (but not energy) from trapping and consuming animals or protozoans, typically insects and other arthropods. Carnivorous plants have adapted to grow in places where the soil is thin or poor in nutrients, especially nitrogen, such as acidic bogs and rock outcroppings. Charles Darwin wrote Insectivorous Plants, the first well-known treatise on carnivorous plants, in 1875.[4]

True carnivory is thought to have evolved independently six times in five different orders of flowering plants,[5][6] and these are now represented by more than a dozen genera. These include about 630 species that attract and trap prey, produce digestive enzymes, and absorb the resulting available nutrients.[7] Additionally, over 300 protocarnivorous plant species in several genera show some but not all these characteristics.

Lol you are clueless bro, despite being able to access Wikipedia, you have no idea how these plants actually work. Not to mention, NONE of them are eaten by people.

None of those plants are heterotrophic. They don't "eat" the bugs. They get nutrients (mainly nitrogen), from the insects. You can't even give them tap water, because the nutrients in the tap water will eventually kill them by putting too many nutrients in the substrate. They get all their energy from the sun (unlike, say, a corpse flower, the algae half of lichens, or dodder)

Hmmm... How do I know? I used to raise Drosera, aka sundews.

tumblr_m81pq0s1UA1r04hw7o1_500.gif

well, that shattered your attempt at bro smarts. haha.
  • nikilis
    Options

think I will throw up a couple of warnings...
    warning-6_zpsd0bee0b9.jpg
    FQR538LGKS0W0FWLARGE_zps152acf0d.jpg

lool... burn!

tumblr_loi18fcGFC1qfnh94o1_500.gif
  • nikilis
    Options
    Not so much a head scratching WTF moment, but the following term makes my eyes glaze over and select another thread topic:
    "skinny fat"

Also, any thread advocating this or that snake oil as wonder supplement. JAYZUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is skinny fat anyway?
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    "skinny fat"

snake oil?

So is this why a person's pee is oily?
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The one that makes me scratch my head and think WTF have these people for brains:

"Same sex marriages make a mockery of traditional marriage."

I think traditional marriages make a mockery of traditional marriage is more like it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't get off the soap box, was just about to join you! ;-)

The last bit is exactly the point that makes no sense to the logical human brain - why grow food to feed animals to feed us? Why not just grow food?
    You can store more energy in a cow than you could grow in the square footage it takes up.

And beef tastes better than lettuce.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I bet raisins would do that, sneaky little b*****s! Not that they are born raisins... I think it's just the really bad *kitten* ones that become raisins
    My older brother told me raisins are dead roaches when I was little. Haven't touched them since.

my sister told me they were flies. nope.

All a load of hogwash. I have known since I was 6 years old that they are cockroaches. Are you blind?!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    "skinny fat"

snake oil?

So is this why a person's pee is oily?

That's right, oil from the one-eyed snake.
    Drinking it will cure everything.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options

The last bit is exactly the point that makes no sense to the logical human brain - why grow food to feed animals to feed us? Why not just grow food?
    You can store more energy in a cow than you could grow in the square footage it takes up.

1. You also need to factor in the square footage required to grow and store its food.

2. Not necessarily, I have tasted some pretty nasty beef and some amazing lettuce.
  • nikilis
    Options

how many people could you feed instead of feeding the cow? how much grain and water goes into one cow. its not about the land dude.

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

so yah, your logic level: flawed.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    bump the hunger games must continue. Come on there is an abundance of ridiculous stupid advice out there...sharing is caring.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options

how many people could you feed instead of feeding the cow? how much grain and water goes into one cow. its not about the land dude.

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

With only grass-fed livestock, individual Americans would still get more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of meat and dairy protein, according to Pimentel's report, "Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment."

so yah, your logic level: flawed.

Well put!:bigsmile:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    "if you dont eat every 2 hours you will go into starvation mode"
  • nikilis
    Options

this 18 hour fast thing is gotta be doing me all kinds of wrong.
  • Ophidion
    Options

this 18 hour fast thing is gotta be doing me all kinds of wrong.
    I know, since we've met you have lost 99% of your lean muscle and gained 300kg of fat...eat more, more I tells ya! I have it on good authority.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this thread, but the one thing that gets me is people who respond to a topic who appear to have not read the OP's post. Like, the comment just fell out of the sky and landed in the wrong forum. It happened a couple of times yesterday.:ohwell:
  • fat_harrie
    fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The worst piece of advice I was given... a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat!

And there was me thinking a pound of anything would weigh the same as a pound of something else... *sigh
This discussion has been closed.