WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :D Carey, I walk in the dark with my dogs and an inspirational podcast.....if I waited for a human friend to be available to walk with me, I'd be sitting at home all day....my dogs and my podcasts are my friends and they never let me down.....my way of saying "no", is to say "I'm not available".

<3 Barbie
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I see what you mean about waiting for someone to walk with you.. I'd have the same problem. I was thinking more of a virtual walk and supporting those who were undergoing trying (dark times) such as our friends here. :)

I'm getting better at saying no or I'm busy, most of my problem is that I try to do to much, I forget that I'm still on the road to recovery and although I'm able to do a lot more than I have been able to, I'm still not able to do what I used to.

Carey
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    stats for the day. i haven't burned this low in awhile, i feel like a loser
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.16min, 14.3mph 2.9mi = 92cal
    nustept machine- 35min, 94aw, 116av.steps per min, 3477steps, lvl3-10, 1.92mi = 180cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.55min, 10.7amph, 1.4mi = 56cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.13min, 9.3amph, 2.7mi, est.. = 168cal
    total cal 496

i know i'm not, figure of speech
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am still alive. I know some of you were probably questioning it...lol

Let's see, last Thurs I did the "I Want That Body" DVD by Tammi Lee Webb. In the afternoon I got the cortisone shot in my left hand (fortunately, I'm right handed) and my thumb was VERY numb. It's no longer numb, but there is still some of the "trigger" in the thumb. Anyway, Friday I did Jillian Michael's "No More Trouble Zones" DVD. We had a leak in the basement so we had a plumber come that day. At first he was totally baffled as to where the leak was coming from, but eventually figured out that a pipe from the outside developed a small hole and that was the cause. We now have two holes in our ceiling downstairs, but it's drying out and probably some time next week we'll have that repaired. He did install an shut-off valve and a drop panel so we can access it.

Then we drove up to VA to help Jess move. She was on the 4th floor, she was moving into another apt on the other side of the building on the 4th floor again. So that meant walking down the stairs, over to the new place, up the stairs, I was totally and completely exhausted Saturday. We didn't get to VA until late Friday.

Sat. I used the elliptical at the hotel, then helped Jess move. Barbie - I bet I trumped you in steps that day....lol Not like that happens very much. You have no idea how many times I walked up and down those 6 flights of stairs. Fortunately, she did have a few friends helping. In a way it was interesting, they are so much younger and could go so much faster.

Sunday I just walked on the treadmill at the hotel. It was Jess' birthday and we went out to eat. Got her an ice cream cake. Know I went over on the calories that day, but with all the exercise I got the previous day, I'm not concerned. Bryan called Jess and I got to talk to him. Seems he's going vegan now, or at least semi-vegan.

Monday I went to the Y there. They have a stairclimbing machine that I wish we had. Like I needed to climb more stairs....lol.

Today I went to the Y by me and did Gin Miller's "Barbell Blast" DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to go to yoga and then take the deep water class.

Trying to get back into the routine. After exercise came home and had something to eat, cut up apples for an apple pie I'm going to make. I'm going to try letting them sit in the refrig and see if juice comes out, maybe when I go to bake the pie it won't be so juicy and the crust won't be so far from the apples. went to ceramics and put the third coat of paint on the body of the praying mantis and the first coat on its wing. I wasn't too crazy about the fact that the paint on parts of the ladybug seemed to be "smeared" and a friend told me that that happens when the bisque is fired and you blotted the paint on rather than brushed it on. So I made sure to try not to dab it on the body but brushed it on. Here I thought by dabbing it you'd get more paint on and eliminate the streaking.

After ceramics went to the Health Food store to get some more Just Peas.

We'll be going to another Murder Mystery dinner this Friday and just yesterday got the paperwork about my character. This one will take place in 1928 in a speakeasy. My character wears a sultry shimmery sequined gown (she's a nightclub singer). So I went to the Salvation Army and then to the Goodwill. Found a sequined dress but the zipper is broken. So took it to a friend of mine who can fix it. The fix will cost more than the dress!

Afterwards went to Aldi then WalMart then to Food Lion. Then home to put the groceries away but had to go to the home of the lady who will fix the dress so she has as much time to work on it as possible.

I welcome everyone new! Won't possibly have time to mention everyone individually, but so glad you are all with us

Vicki - so sorry about the job

Sylvia - lovely bowls. What artists those kids are!

Personally, when we were looking for a home, the ones that were "staged" didn't appeal to me at all. They seemed so "fake". One of the things that attracted me to this house was the fact that it was "lived in" not "looked at"

Allison - I'm a non-talented person, too, so you're in great company!

Liked the "Your consequences are a result of YOUR decisions"

pip - what a rider you are! Impressive, I must say

CynthiaT - the first thing I thought of that Sassy was holding in that pic was a pg test strip...lol

Good golly - so much to get caught up on. So just skimming. Will try to get back into routine tomorrow

All beautiful pictures. Happy anniversary katla

toni - wonderful NSV from that guy at the Y

Worked in the car on x-stitching the kitchen towels that I'll be giving the kids for christmas. Got one done. Will post a pic when I have the other one in the set completed

Cheryl - welcome back!

yanniejannie - so glad that moll can be taken care of.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lillian - good thing you found out before you lost any days! my husband is a good one for that. You will probably stay caught up with all the posts for a while!

Terri - you have plenty of time to lose 20 pounds by June 1st! You can do it it doesn't have anything to do with age it has more to do with determination and you have a lot of that. Plus, you have a huge support team rooting you on!

MNMargaret - beautiful flowers! and art! I miss living down in the cities because of events like this.

VickiGI NE - I am sorry that you have been going through a lot of worry with all that is going on with your mom. I'm glad to hear that she may be getting better!

Sue in SD - I am glad that you are close to being done with the move. I am hoping to sell this year. I'll start working on a garage sale for early May. Down size! Your potential property sounds like a great place!

Lesley - I am with you! I work out so I can eat some comfort food!

Carey - that is the name! " It's about time " astronauts are mac and Hector.

Michele in NC - welcome back! You have been busy. I can hardly wait to see your praying mantis!

Pip - you're definitely not a loser!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Jan, I'm sorry I missed the news about your skin cancer! I had to back up a few pages to find it. I hope all goes well and you get in quickly to get it taken care of. I've had a rough spot on the side of my face for months and keep forgetting to ask the doc to look at it. Maybe now, I will.

Vicki, my best to your mom! And don't forget to take care of yourself too.

Welcome to all the new ladies. You will love it here!

I'm sitting in the recliner with a "confetti" angel food cake in the oven. My granddaughter asked for angel food, so I'm making two so there will be enough for the party. She said that all 12 kids told her they were coming, plus the two siblings, dad, and us grandparents, so it will be a crowd.

We went to swim lessons tonight and all three kids started out at the same level. Then the oldest was moved up one level and the youngest was moved down one. That's a much better fit. They all did well and had fun.

So, today I went to the new gastro doc for the first time. I liked him, and they got me in right on time, so that was great. But first thing he did was listen to my chest, and immediatly asked "how long have you had this heart murmur?" What! Nobody ever told me I have a heart murmur! He told me to call my primary care doc tomorrow and let her know. Maybe it's a new thing. But he said it is very distinct and needs to be checked. He had all my records from the two bowel blockages, and agrees that I need to be checked for Crohn's disease. First thing he wants to do is a colonoscopy and upper and lower gi scope. That is set for April 8th. He said I can go back to my high fiber diet, but to avoid raw vegetables. Too bad. I really miss my tomatoes and lettuce. Does canteloupe count as a raw vegetable? I have a nice one all ready to eat. He didn't say fruit, so I hope fruit is ok. I hope he didn't mean anything raw. I didn't think to get that clarified.

Well, the first cake is out of the oven, so I guess I'll get the second one ready. I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

For a couple years I've been blaming it on lack of sleep and too much pressure from my job, but now I found out the real reason: I'm tired because I'm overworked.

The population of this country is 237 million. 104 million are retired. That leaves 133 million to do the work.

There are 85 million in school, which leaves 48 million to do the work.

Of this there are 29 million employed by the federal government, leaving 19 million to do the work.

2.8 million are in the Armed Forces, which leaves 16.2 million to do the work.

Take from the total the 14,800,000 people who work for State and City Governments and that leaves 1.4 million to do the work.

At any given time there are 188,000 people in hospitals, leaving 1,212,000 to do the work.

Now, there are 1,211,998 people in prisons. That leaves just two people to do the work.

You and me.

And you're sitting at your computer reading jokes.

:D
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Friends.

Aroar, welcome to this forum. You will find it a very supportive and informative group of ladies. I can’t imagine being on this journey without their support. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. And it would be great if you end each post with the name you want us to call you. Best of luck on your journey.

Terri, even if you lose the most weight in your contest, there will be no winner if it’s not 20 pounds? Well whatever, you are doing it to lose weight and not just the prize….Right???? Was DH just being a jerk when he didn’t bring you food last night or did he think you had plans?

Sylvia, the shirt for DGD sounds adorable. I’m sure she will love it!

Elle, first of all, what’s a “niggle”??? And of course it’s okay to be nosey instead of crazy, but what’s wrong with crazy? :s

Heather, when will “that” book come out. What will you call it, “The Heroes of My Youth?” You made me smile reading about that.

Katla, glad you are recovering from the C Crud. LOL

Deborah, welcome. There are women on here that do all sorts of exercises so I’m sure you’ll hear from them. I think most will agree to do what seems like the most fun for you. The main goal is to exercise. I do mine at home and many go to the gym. I have a cross trainer and use weights and a resistance band. If I joined a gym I know I would rarely go, so this works for me. Tell us a little about yourself and visit often.

Liz, welcome back (singing “to where you belong”) Jump in with both feet and get this show on the road. We are behind you every step of the way. I love your piggy!

MargaretT, great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Diane, Welcome, we are glad to have you join us. Please tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Also it would be great if you sign your posts with the name you want to be called and a location (general or specific). Come often and you will find lots of support.

Vicki, so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she improves quickly and will keep her and you in my prayers.

Sue, I’m sending good thoughts for you to find the right house. Enjoy the adventure.

Lesley and Barbie, as always, I’m impressed with your determination and stamina with your workouts.

Carey, I can’t believe you remember the theme song from that show, but I just don’t remember that one. We must have watched something on a different station.

Pip, like you said, you’re not a loser. Maybe just a slacker? *joking* You are just a pip.

Michele NC, glad to hear from you. And OMG, you have been busy. I’m so impressed that you got in all the exercising with the schedule you’ve had. Way to go.

My thought for the day:
    You’ve only got three choices in life,
    Give Up, Give In or
    Give it all you’ve got.

Have a good night and day, ladies. <3

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies...just a quick check in.
    Back still not better and I'm getting a bit discouraged. The stain is in my upper back and I'm having problems looking down and working at my desk at work. I'm hoping an extra pillow to sit on will elevate me enough to alleviate some of the pain. Not able to do elliptical so walking is my go to exercise for now. Binged on chocolate covered almonds last night, I was a crazy woman. I know this injury is nothing compared to the physical challenges a lot of you face daily and I am trying to put on my big girl panties and suck it up. I've just come so far in the past few months and don't want it to stop me from exercising.

On a much more positive note...I put a watch on this morning I hadn't worn in a few months and it was too loose. Fortunately it was easy to take a link out. Totally unexpected NSV!!

Chris in MA
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This will be brief. Bad day at work, stress eating and now my knee is killing for me and I have no idea why. So I’ll be going to bed early,

Cheryl: welcome back!

Mary: I’ll try to upload something! We did take a few pictures Sunday AND with the digital camera. So there’s hope!

Cynthia: yes the DD brought the DGD over! Miracles do occur! I’m hoping you do press charges on that nut!

Yanniejannie: sending lots of prayers and hugs your way. I am so sorry about the diagnosis. I know several people who have had that surgery and have done fine. But I’m still sending you lots of love!

Sylvia: glad you found a doctor and hope it works out!

Well we started on our taxes…OMG the CPA may just die of a heart attack! The roof is done the rental and so is the plumbing. So that’s good news.

Welcome to the newbies. Sorry this is short; there were too many pages to catch up on plus I’m heading to bed. Take care all…see you tomorrow. Meg from Omaha where it rained buckets today.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gifMichelle, yes, I walk a lot of steps but they are on level ground and never on flights of stairs......you did an amazing thing with all that stair climbing to help your daughter move.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    Damnit, I will take that... Slacker it is!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

Vicki: Sending prayers up for your mom.

Michelle: Glad you got to talk to Bryan!!!

Margaret: LOVE the Macy Flower show. Those daffodils scream spring! B)

Have to echo many of the sentiments about the old TV shows. You’ve mention most of my favorites, and I was addicted to cartoons. The earliest memory I have of television was watching the Shari Lewis show when I was about 3 years old. Then in my mid-20’s she hired me as her personal assistant. One day I will write a book about working for a ventriloquist in a house full of puppets and characters.

Got through my physical today. Were your ears ringing? I was bragging about this group and the benefits of MFP to my young female MD. Improved cholesterol and weight down a tiny bit. But blood pressure was highest I’ve ever registered. I asked for it to be repeated using the non-electric cuff which gets uncomfortably tight on my ample upper arms. When the Med Assistant took it the old school way, the systolic number was 15 points lower. Whew!

It's time for me to play with Mars the cat and get to bed. Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Caught up but bedtime.........Shari Lewis........ohhh, I can still hear her speaking to Lamb Chop!!!!!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Goodnight all....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sharon, from Alberta, go as the dressed up Cinderella and the house maid Cinderella

Allison, Fanncy and Beth, thanks all for clearing my memory up on Bewitched. I think some one has twitched their nose and made my memory go away.

DammitJanet, Charlie had his appointment today and the doctor told us that he could go off of the Effient. But he said that because he is now 66 that the atrial fibrillation he has but is controlled makes him more prone to blood clots therefor stroke. He doesn't like Coumadin so ordered Relaquist. He said if the Relaquist is to expensive for us then he will go ahead and order the Coumadin. Either one will be hard on Charlie because he tends to take his anger out on the walls. In a way I hope it does make him bleed quite a bit because hopefully that would help Charlie realize there are different ways to manage anger than physically.

Heather, your next book needs to be an illustrated cook book.

Carey, I was going to say that the name of the show is It's about time. But some one else beat me to it. I googled the song and it gave me the name of the sow.

Rori, I detest those automatic blood pressure cuffs. I have never liked it that the nurse aide comes in, puts the cuff around your arm, hooks the oxygen monitor on and takes the thermometer out of the holder on the automatated blood pressure cuff, She never has to touch you, speak to you or anything. It's all done in about a minute.

Pip, thanks for helping me remember The big valley. I can also remember Flipper, Adams's family and some doctor show that had an older doctor and a younger really good looking doctor working with him. They even did house calls. There was another doctor show that he was a surgeon.

Have a really bad headache tonight, even worse trying to read so this is goodnight!

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well, friends, I think I am caught up.

Heather- I am glad you pulled your book out of the cupboard. Good for you. How many more are hidden in there?
    On the subject of TV shows - How about Gunsmoke? Or Rawhide? Clint Eastwood was Rowdy in that.

yanniejannie - So sorry to hear about your skin cancer. I will be praying for a good result.
  • dreamwriter
    Options
    Continuing on.

Peachstategal - Dr. Kildare was so dreamy.

Carol - I am so happy that your appointment went well.
    I think I was about 9 when we got our first television. One channel-CBC. I still remember watching the test pattern. I am easily entertained. lol
    Before that my brother and I used to ride Dusty to the next farm on the weekend to watch Zorro and Lone Ranger.

Sylvia - Yeah for wearing jeans!
    The outfit for your DGD sounds very cute. She is going to Love It!

Janet - "Be the reason someone smiles today" Thanks for the good thought.

Liz in Halifax - Please don't be angry with yourself. Be gentle and do the best you can for yourself and your precious body.

So I went back to work today and it felt like I hadn't left. I could have used another week of vacation but I do have 2 coming up in July and 2 still to pick. I had to fix the schedule up for this week because the person that did it in my absence missed some critical coverage. Oh well. It was just frustrating and no one got hurt.
    I went and had my lashes done. It feels so good to have eyelashes but I know I should give them up.
    Cabbage rolls and perogies for supper. It didn't take much before I felt over stuffed but they were scrumptious.
    Mentioned the counselling session again. I guess I just keep mentioning it. Stomach is tied in knots over what DH is going to decide.
    Hoping for Sunshine
    Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • dreamwriter
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • dreamwriter
    Options
    There's the fairy Godmother but maybe I could go as Cruella instead? So much more comfortable. I doubt DGD would agree to that.