WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh Sharon, those outfits are great! How wonderful of you to dress up for your DGD! ! ! :love: The counselling will help to ease your mind whether he comes with you or not. It will give you some clarity. Stick with it.

I very well remember Rowdy Yates. <3 Is there no one who remembers Gunslinger? ?

Vicki - so sorry your mum is not well. Sounds as if she is improving. Don't try to eat away the stress - it doesn't work! :flowerforyou: Do something else that's nice for yourself. <3
    I agree, my friend is fed up. She has cancer and I know is beset by all kinds of worries, not to say pains. This pain in her hip/back is really getting her down. She is scheduled for x-rays and a bone scan. I know what it's like to be depressed and not want to see people. It upsets me because she was my BFF when I lived nearby and we keep in regular touch by phone so I don't feel she has to be putting on a show to see me. Like you said, I won't give up on her. She has her two grown children living nearby and other good friends.

Got my trip into Winchester today with my yoga friend. (Joyce?) We are going to have lunch at a fish restaurant where I usually have oysters and a starter portion of mussels. I've got a 25% off voucher, Michele! :laugh: I'm going to drive over to her house annd we'll catch the bus in together. The parking is tricky in town. I love Winchester. The cathedral is gorgeous. I want to visit an Asian shop and see if they've got any frozen Dim Sum. Must remember to take a freezer.bag. My friend wants to look at furnishing material. Sunny day today, so should be fun!

Margaret - fabulous spring flowers! Just like our garden! :laugh: Nearly!

OK, got to take the tea up to DH <3 He's cooking again tonight as I'm out this pm. Rabbit stew, cooked in cider. Yum!

Heather in brilliantly sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    thank you all for being so sweet...I sure needed the pick me up..
    to say life is stressful is an understatement..
    I have to take a deep breath and wish I could just melt away somewhere..
    yesterday started off with me being pulled into the office, with the manager and the nasty front end manager.. being told to be professional and not talk about whats going on in my life with patients, to ask about there lives,children etc... that what I do, now the manager in back is usually stuck in the back office and doesnt know what goes on out there, so I am guessing the bi--- up front went back and tattled, so I have to keep my mouth shut..
    I am getting soooooo fed up with the treatment from this troll.. , between my DB, reno work and DFIL and trying to do everything here I am about ready to crack..
    as soon as I get in the door last night Tom comes out and asked if we can send the brand new range hood that we bought that fed ex just dropped off back..because a neighbor who did work for us before gave us a proposal for new cabinets,sink,countertops and Tom was all excited.. I must admit it looks nice and is less than some of the prices we got for refacing...
    so I get in the door and its chatter as soon as I got in, sort of overwhelmed me..
    then I slept from about 7:30 to 1 am and have been up ever since..
    sorry for the vent..
    and I feel so bad for you all that have family not doing well, and that are not well yourselves.. but you are all in my prayers that is for sure...
    thank you for being a friend..(theme song to Golden Girls) now that was a funny show especially Sophia lol
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; it's one of those days, running from one thing to the other. Just saying hi and I'm thinking of everybody.
    Michele: lol! I have to admit I thought Sassy was holding something that had to do with Fifty Shades of Grey. ;)

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Oh Roni, please write a book about Shari Lewis, she was one of my favorites. I have a Lamb Chop finger puppet that travels in my car with me! Any scoops before the book comes out would be welcome.
    Chris in MA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Alison ... You absolutely do not deserve the treatment you are getting at work ... Keep smiling ... They won't know what to do!

Easter candy ... Enough said. Today's a new day!

Beth
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Vicki - your Mom and entire family are in my prayers!

Rori - I am envious of the cool job you had with Shari Lewis. I hope you write that book. The whole opportunity sounds amazing.

Sharon - loving the costumes. I love to dress up when I go places (except my DS is a teen now, so he is embarrassed). The kids are lucky that you do, too.

Fanncy and Janet - Thanks for the cheers and support about losing the rest of the "contest weight" before June 1. I will definitely stop buying any of the trigger food, and start planning ahead for healthy snacks and alternatives. DH bought almonds yesterday when I asked, and I'm going to get more fruits and veggies this week. I can do this ! ! ! (with the help from all of you :) ).
    DS got up and ready in record time today, so I drove him to school and got in a little work-out before starting work. Yay! Tomorrow we must leave extra early because he has a 6am appt with the Physical Therapist for his over-worked shoulder.

Allison - hold your head high and vent to us anytime. One saying I keep near my desk and on my key ring for similar situations: "Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the people who don't."

Yes, DH is a jerk sometimes. He thinks only of himself (and DS if he is visible). I guess that's a symptom of traumatic brain injury (hit by school bus in first grade). I tried many different things, and saying "where's mine" then leaving the room works best. When he sees it upsets me, it doesn't sink in. But these country song words work best for him "after she packed, when she looked back, there were no tears in her eyes. That's got me worried thinking maybe my baby's gotten good at goodbye." When he is unable to engage me in an arguement, he worries that I don't care, and he starts working on the relationship again. a few years ago, when we desperately needed counseling, I said "our appt is at this time, and if you aren't there, my next appointment is with an attorney". I know it seems brutal, but it worked at the time, and I just need to keep "dragging him back to reality" sometimes.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (freezing rain is ending soon)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I have a very busy day today. unlike a lot of you I do not have A fur baby but I do have a grand fur baby. and today I get to go pick him up for a week visit at my house. looking forward do his company and love! I will be driving 3 hours to go and pick him up and back again. my husband told me to stop and pick up some new clothes for our trip in April. I usually go to the goodwill but can usually only find jeans or jackets there. I need some tighter fitting tops. I hope everybody has a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,700 Member
    Options
    hey kids - another rainy ride in to the gym today.

I don't know about you but when you get a certain instructor and she's great at what she does and you find someone else is subbing for her, you're like :(. this girl took over the Friday class of one of my other favorite instructors and I will always give the new person a shot. I will go to more than one class cuz anyone can have an off day w/off music. after a period of time I decided, she's not my style so I dropped Fridays class. so NOW when she subs I know what to expect. boo.. I still did the class and managed to push out 300 calories out of me (i'm not the only one that feels this way). beth (good instructor) has my name now so I will be one of her subs and I laugh because that's probably what people will think of me when they attend my class when I teach for her lolololol!!! oh well, poop happens then you move on..

other tv shows: Marcus Welby MD with Robert Young, the young handsome doc was James Brolin, Diagnosis Murder w/Dick Van *kitten*, Ben Casey w/Vince Edward, Perry Mason was always cool, used to LOVE the Ed Sullivan Show, Leave it to Beaver, Sea Hunt, oh I used to like This is Your Life...

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Katla - I never did see Dobie Gillis, but I loved Bob Denver too.

Margaret: Love the Art in Bloom pics

Mary - Minnesota: Mac & Hector - I'd forgotten their names...just remember running from the bus to the house so that I could watch the show :)

Joyce, Indiana: I gotta remember..google is my friend. :wink:

Peachstategal
    : Way to go on meeting your goals!

Sharon- Love the outfits!!!

Heather: Have fun in Winchester

I had a visit with my Dr. yesterday - still having issues with all my joints. Apparently the ultrasound has shown that my left knee has severe arthritis and she's wants to find out why there is so much inflammation in the rest of my body. So she's going to send me to a rheumatologist.

I mentioned the difficulty I'm having losing weight. I'm staying pretty true to the 1200 calories and I haven't lost any weight since the 4th of March and have increased my activity substantially. She asked me what I was eating specifically butter or margarine. When I told her I use Becel she told me to eat "real food" - becel is full of chemicals and butter is better for me. She also said that losing weight was more complicated than calories in/calories out.

I've been reading up on various types of diets such as the "Inflammation Diet" and "The Fast Metabolism Diet". Does anyone have any advice concerning these?

Thought for the day: It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Have a wonderful day,
    Carey - Edmonton
  • ellefenton
    ellefenton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning from cloudy, cold Ontario. I'm sorry to hear many have such struggles & hope the positivity on here is some solace. I also would love to read a book about Sherri Lewis. I have a Lambchop puppet. I bought it for my girls when they were young, but it didn't mean much to them. I'm still trying to make sense of being home instead of at work. I'm going to try to send a picture of my 17 year-old mutt, Luna whom I lost at the end of January.
    Elle, Ontario.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue: It looks like your DD knows just what kind of place you need. Wow! I’m also happy to know that your property sold and you won’t have to worry about that. I hope the closing goes smoothly. Will you travel out to see the properties your DD finds?

Lesley: Congratulations on your impressive stats. I hope you’ll share some of what your Doctor tells you about health and about grieving.

Vicki: I can’t believe the nurse’s aid bathed your mom with cool water unless she had a really high temperature and needed cool water medically. It doesn’t sound like that is the case. Brrrr. She is lucky that you and your sister are there to look out for her.

Sylvia: It sounds as though you hit the jackpot with the new doctor! Yay! Regarding raw veggies, you’ll have to ask your new doctor about fruit. I think tomatoes are fruit, along with melon. I love today’s joke, but I’m retired, which leaves just you to do the work. Get busy. There is a lot to do.

Michele: I am happy that you got to talk to Bryan. Yay!

Rori: Congrats on the improved cholesterol and lower weight. I loved Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop. I crocheted a Lamb Chop puppet for my kids back in the day. I hope you will share a story now and then.

Joyce: Was the doctor show with the older and younger doctors Ben Casey? I think the actor who played the older one was named Sam Jaffe. The younger doctor was played by Vince Edwards.

Sharon: I love the photos.

Heather: I don’t have a good recall for Gunslinger. I guess my mom wasn’t a fan or it was on after my bedtime.

I woke up without a headache for the first time since we left CO! I think I’ll give yoga a try this morning. I‘m trying to decide whether to do core strength plus yoga, or just yoga. At this moment easing in to my exercise routine makes more sense to me than jumping in with both feet.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember Quick Draw McGraw and Snagglepuss? Heavens to Murgatroyd!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,700 Member
    Options
    yup
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies,

Chris, I hope the back gets better soon. As a long time back problem sufferer I know how painful it can be, not to mention keeping you from doing what you want. Do you ice it when you have the chance? Great NSV on the watch.

Meg, sending good thoughts for the knee to leave you alone. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Rori, good news on the cholesterol and more weight loss will come. Glad the bp went down from the first reading. Just keep up the good work and everything will hopefully be even better. I have an appointment next month and am anxious to see what my A1C is after cutting my Metformin in half. How fun to have worked for Sheri Lewis.

Joyce, crossing my fingers for Charlie to find other ways to take out his anger. Or even better, to not get so angry over everything. ((Hugs))

Sharon, what do you have done to your eye lashes? If I can find a place here, I’m thinking of having the individual lashes glued in before the next cruise. Mine have just gotten so short and thin, even with mascara and wearing glasses hides what little is there. Great pictures!! I love the Cruella outfit!!!

Heather, I remember Gunslinger and all the shows mentioned except the one Carey knew the words to the theme song.

Beth, I thought the Easter Bunny was supposed to deliver the candy, not eat it? :#

Terri, sometimes “tough love” is what it takes. You just look for ways to take care of you. Find something that can help you forget all the stress if only for a little while. You are worth it. ((Hugs))

Mary MN, don’t you love it when your hubby tells you to buy new clothes? And that you need smaller ones? Good for you! Have fun with your grand fur baby.

Pip, I have to believe that when you sub in the class everyone has fun. Gosh you must have stayed glued to the TV as a young person. You seem to know all the shows and stars.

Carey, I saw a program recently with a doctor on weight loss. When not losing, he recommended to go on very low to no carbs for two days. Then go back to a balanced diet. It sometimes gives the body the boost to start losing again. I haven’t tried it yet but might be worth a try. I love your quote.

Katla, yea that you didn’t have a headache this morning. It sounds like easing back in to the exercising might be the wise choice. I thought the show she was talking about might be Marcus Welby, MD? Didn’t it have a younger doctor too?

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I got up this morning and DH and the boys (fur babies) had gone back to sleep on the sofa. I think he was up much later than normal. So I brought my coffee and bran muffin upstairs to watch the morning news. After that, started my exercise before checking in here. It’s all done except for 400 reps on the cross trainer, so I’m ahead of the game. Yesterday when I went shopping, I had a pleasant surprise. I started out at a size 2X and now the 18 pants are too big. I bought a size 16!!! I don’t remember when I could wear a 16. Biggest problem is the firm bulge above my waist. Who knows what exercise will concentrate on that area?? Again, I have to be careful because of back, but I’m willing to look at any suggestions. The funny thing is that all other parts of my body where I’ve lost weight are now rather soft and flabby, but my upper abdomen is still firm. Bodies are so interesting.

Quote for the day:
    No matter how good or bad your life is,
    Wake up each morning and be thankful
    You still have one.

Have a wonder, happy and healthy day ladies.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to admit, I will not even begin to have time to read all the updates every day. You ladies are too busy.

My weight is amazingly high. I never thought it possible to weigh this much. I most certainly don't eat enough to sustain this weight so it is baffling. I am going to kill myself the rest of this week and through the weekend. If the scale doesn't move then I am at a loss. I know how to lose weight. I know all the tricks and tips and cheats. It's so confusing that I just keep gaining.

We'll see how Monday goes.
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wessecg I understand being dismayed re:my weight gains. I have never used a calorie counter and MFP has been enlightening. I never would have thought a DD muffin has more calories than a donut. I know it's best if I stay away from both but I am not all that disciplined yet. I too have lost weight in the past but found it much more challenging to do so now that I am 55.

I still try to focus on today rather than look into the future. The less anxiety I have the less I am apt to overeat.

Naiomi2015 from Massachusetts

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday good ladies. Today is the state wide tornada drill. Fun Fun!! Talked to my sister this morning and mom had a good night. I am going over when I get off at 3 today and stay the night with her so my sister can get a motel and sleep. Sounds like PT is getting her up and walking. Good news and glad about that.

Carol--Sending prayers for all to be well with your mamogram. I had mine the first part of March and had my pap exam this last Monday. So I am good for a year. Always glad to have that done.

yanniejannie--Sending prayers and HUGS.

Well my sister just called and they are taking mom in to drain her lungs. Not sure where this has come from. So have someone come in and cover for me and I will be going over. Prayers are requested.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Just a quick note. I've got a dozen more things on my to-do list, each will take roughly an hour, and I only have 5 hours to get it all done. Something will be skipped, I feel sure.

The birthday party starts at 5:30. I baked two angelfood cakes. One I made pretty, with pink icing dripping down the side and sugar sparkles on top. The other I left plain. Hubby prefers plain and hopefully so will some other people. I have a bucket of ice cream in the freezer, punch ready to mix and put in the punch bowl, the classroom in the studio is decorated. Tables and shelves have been moved to make room. We are making clay masks after the food is done, so I need to roll out slabs of clay and mix some colored slips for them to paint their masks with. And find tools, brushes, sponges, etc and get that all ready. Oh, and order pizza too!

I am beyond terrified and overwhelmed. It's a little disappointing that my son couldn't find time to help even a little bit. He wanted me to do something for him today but I told him I was too busy. Now I feel bad about that, I know he's having a rough time, but I must push on with my list and forget about everything else.

Gotta go. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies...my my everyone is so busy..I am at work and staying very quite ,one reason is i was awake at 1 so will be dragging come time to go home..went to Lowe's at 6:15 this morning and took pictures of some of the stuff that will go in the kitchen..i am so tired not even looking forward to any of it :o
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon from GA!

Sylvia, you are such a trooper for getting the party ready for your GD. I know it will be successful and all will have fun. Please give us a pic of the party.

The flower pictures (Macy's) are fantastic.

Vicki, prayers for you and your family. Hope your mom improves. She is lucky to have you and your sister.

Took the Pom in for his yearly shots and the vet decided he needed a bunch of supplements since he only eats boiled meat (no veggies at all or dry food). Those supplements added up big time. Wish I could get him to eat regular dog food. But, a plus is that he is a pretty healthy pup.

My DH went to the cardiologist yesterday and seems to be doing OK. Still on about 8 meds. Still on the Plavix so glad he didn't have to go on Warfarin.

My sister asked the nursing home director if my mom could stay away over night and she was told that that would be a disaster for mom as all she wants in the world is to go home. Sister's daughter is getting married in May and I think it will be my job to get mom to the wedding. Hope my DH will be willing to help me.

Carol ~ Ga