WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    vicki - my thought are with you...

damnit - i am popular for trivial pursuit games, i know a bunch of useless crap. to be honest, i didn't have a very happy childhood, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yes, i kinda liked tv, it was my escape. and yes, MY SUB CLASSES WOULD BE BANGIN!!!!!!!!!!!! CUZ i play awesome music damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    happppyyy birrrtthdddayyyyy toooo youuuuuuuuuuu, happppyyy birrrtthdddayyyyy toooo youuuuuuuuuuu, happppyyy birrrtthdddayyyyy toooo naaaadddiiaaaaaaaaaaaaa, , happppyyy birrrtthdddayyyyy toooo youuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you hear me singin??? singing to Nadia222222222
  • ellefenton
    ellefenton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Quick Draw McGraw and Snagglepuss? Heavens to Murgatroyd!!
    ADORED those two!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Had a fabulous time in Winchester. What a beautiful city! We almost bought a house there when we moved out of London, but the vendor was playing silly b*****s and we withdrew after six months. Ended up in the countryside in a much bigger house, but I do like a bit of city. I might buy a flat there if anything happens to DH.
    I had oysters and mussels for lunch and do did my friend. She says I am expanding her horizons! Went to few shops for her bits and pieces and then I found the Chinese supermarket and bought the frozen Dim Sum. Three different sorts. Also bought some frozen shredded coconut that I've been looking for for YEARS! And some Kimchi (Korean fermented spiced cabbage) to try before I make it.
    Came back and had a quick cup of tea at her house. She had bought a new sectioned square cake tin in order to make a cake for a yoga friend who will be 70 next week, so we put that together and discussed a recipe.. Another lady is going to make decorations. We will all go out next Tuesday to the pub for the end of term and have cake. I will have the merest slither. :laugh: No hardship as cake isn't my "thing".

The rabbit stew that DH made was delicious. Had it with brussels sprouts.

Really tired now. Good tired. Happy day.

Tomorrow is DDIL's birthday. Just sent a text. They are going to Le Gavroche for lunch, one of London's best restaurants and my favourite. Michele Roux Jr is the patron. The twice I have been there he came round the tables and I shook his hand and simpered like a schoolgirl. :blushing:

Dentist tomorrow for a broken filling that is beginning to niggle. Taking pain killers. Hate, hate, hate dentists so I have put it off. :cry:

Love Heather x x x x
  • ellefenton
    Options
    @damitjanit - Another 'niggle'! I guess it means something like "a small bother"?
    - Elle, Ontario
  • ellefenton
    Options
    Aside from that; I got 10 minutes in on the stationary bike for the 3rd consecutive day. ..also 15 strength training exercises ☺ Enjoying a book 'Shakespeare Saved My Life'
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Windy, windy, windy here today. Went to water exercise class this morning. Had headache from coming down off the prednisone so took a nap, now working on sorting and packing. we have been in this house for 37 years. What an accumulation!!

DH and I went last night to Peter and the Starcatcher. Really enjoyed it but a late night. The place DD looked at yesterday was a disaster. Previous financing on it failed after an inspection showed the new roof had been improperly installed and there was now mold in the attic and walls. It would need a new furnace and part of the horse arena had been knocked down by a tree in a recent storm. Oh well, the right place will come along.

Sylvia - I am sure the BD party will be a huge success.
    -
    Vicky - Prayers for your mom and family.

Pip - Everyone always wants my DH on their team for trivial pursuit because he knows all sorts of crazy things.

Somebody asked about anti-inflammation diet. Try Self Nutrition Data online. My dietician recommended it and there is an inflammation scale for each food in their database. If I remember right the goal was to have a combined inflammation score of 50 for the day. I have not gone on a totally anti-inflammatory diet but have tried to include more of those foods in my diet since I have sarcoidosis.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone –

The newbies keep coming. That’s wonderful. Tell us about yourselves. Jump into the conversation. As someone said – The more the merrier!

I was out all day yesterday. First did the workout, then the Bible study, then lunch and shopping with a friend. Can’t believe I didn’t buy anything! I think the study will be good. It is on the book Eight Reasons Your Life Matters by John Herrick. He has authored 2 novels but this is his first book like this. The title of the first chapter is “Your Life is More Permanent than Your Struggles”. We examined the story of Joseph in the book of Exodus. DH and I had a busy day today, as well. One “errand” was to get taxes done. Bad News -We got all the way there and DH had left all the info at home – after hounding me to get up so we wouldn’t be late. Luckily an accountant friend does them for us and she was very flexible today. Great news – we get a nice refund for the first time in years and years. I guess it pays to retire!

You TV fans have sparked some good memories. Route 66 and Dr. Kildare, Ben Casey - just what a 13 year old needed ( heck – a 65 year old for that matter!) They were all so dreamy. Did anyone like the game show “What’s My Line?” Loved that show, too.

Sylvia – the party sounds so much fun! I am glad you like the new GI doc. Haven’t you been taking nitro for angina? How could the doc who prescribed this not know you had the murmur? Do you think it is a new development?
    Michele – Welcome back. It wasn’t the same without you. (Ha)
    Rori – Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop – LOVED THEM! Question – Where did she keep Lamb Chop? If you say a box or suitcase I will be so sad. That little lamb deserved a comfy environment.
    Vicki – Praying for your mom. Keep us posted
    Janet – hope your A1c is lower.
    Alison – (Hugs)
    Mary – What kind of a fur grandkid are you babysitting for? I’m sure you didn’t drive all that way for a hamster! Let us know about your adventures with the critters.
    Sharon – love the costumes
    MNMargaret – The Art in Bloom exhibit looks beautiful! I wonder if it will come to Nashville.
    Sue – the property sounds wonderful!
    Pip – I hate when a so-so sub does my T,Th water class. The other lady is so fabulous and plays great music! By the way - never ever leave us no matter how together your S*** is. Okay?
    Thinking of you all today and everyday.
    TNToni
    GRATITUDE – STRENGTH - FAITH

March Goals
    Take blood pressure and 2 hour blood sugar every day (only missed one or the other 5 times)
    Log every bite and swallow
    Email, Facebook message, or call three teacher friends each week to encourage them through this challenging time of year (sent everyone a happy spring break message and I will get on this goal in April)
    Walk a minimum of 5,000 steps each day (MANY DAYS MORE)
    “Let go and let God” (ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS WORKING ON THIS)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon/evening! I had a great food day yesterday and walked over 12,000 steps. I fought with my inner lazy bum and won yesterday so went for a walk in the park right after work. I had 11,000 by the time I finished there and then I walked home.So far, so good today. I know how to do this, it's just a matter of actually doing it...

Heather - I'm glad you had such a good time today! I'm sure it boosted your spirits.

Michele - I've been looking for oat bran or wheat bran and the only thing I can find is oat bran cereal. Is that the right product? If not, what section of the grocery store do I need to look through. I would have thought it would be in the baking section.

I'm off for now. I'm actually going to leave work on time. I'm tired and I want to go home and walk before any rain hits. I hope everyone has had a good day!

Carol in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I went to yoga and also went grocery shopping today. I seem to have spent every bit of energy. I know I'm on the mend, but I'm not there yet.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yesterday, Wednesday, I started on my 2 mile walk but only got as far as Susan's 10 minutes up the road. We chatted about our dogs and her horses and drank a glass of wine. She replace max dog with 2 lovely shelter dogs and they are lovely and she has 4 horses. So after the chat i walked home feeling MUCH better.
    Today is Wii Biggest loser and pilates. See doctor this afternoon for scripts and chat about Mildred.
    Only managed 9823 steps yesterday but fine with that.
    Oat bran in health food shops
  • diane0123
    diane0123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm pretty new here and would like to join this group. Some friends for support would be great too! Please let me know if okay to add or feel free to add me :) Good luck to you all! :)
  • pipcd34
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tngram - ok, your beau-tox is stuck w/me :0), I won't leave
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    As Shari Lewis’ personal assistant I was in and out of her home office on a daily basis. There were puppets everywhere: sock puppets, stick puppets, finger puppets and even one life sized dancing puppet in the exact image of Fred Astaire in top hat and tails. Shari had a pair of high heels screwed onto ‘Fred’s” shoes and then all she had to do was step into the shoes and voila! An instant dance partner in perfect lockstep. That puppet had a regular ‘seat’ in the family room when he wasn’t in his travel case which looked like a black coffin. His presence would freak me out when I’d walk into the room not expecting to see anyone sitting there. Oh, and his eyes had a bit of chilling way of following you….

Lambchop, Hush Puppy, Mr. Bearly and all the main puppets (there were multiple versions) had a special secure section of the upstairs closet. I treasure the memories and miss Shari who always treated me with compassion and respect.

Carol: I also had trouble finding oat and wheat bran until yesterday when I went to the health food store. Found them in the section with pancake mixes. Bought Bob Red Mill brand of oat bran.

Stay wel, friendsl. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Evening Ladies...

Had some news at work today which will bring some life altering changes. At this point I don't know what it will be yet, trying to figure things out. I am self employed, have been for 20 years and I have to decide whether to carry on or close the business and work for someone else.

I am very proud of myself because I dealt with this by taking Jake the rescue dog for a long walk while I tried to process the news. I did not turn to food for comfort. When I got home I jumped on the elliptical for 15 minutes (put arm rails in stationary position because back is not 100% yet) while dinner was cooking. I never went for the chocolate. This is so different from how I handled my life changing events last year which put me at my highest weight. Fortunately I have developed healthy ways of comforting myself. This is not to say that I won't dive for the chocolate and wine until this is resolved, but it is how I handled it today. Some days I just have to take it one hour at a time.

I have to remember that sometimes when a door closes a window opens.

I am so glad I reached out to you wonderful ladies when I did...I have a feeling you will give me great comfort and encouragement,

Thank you for being there.

Chris in MA
  • pipcd34
    edited March 2015
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.02min, 13.7mph 3mi = 126cal
    Spin- 35min, 81r 103w 10-14g 9.7mi = 323cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.56min, 12.9amph, 1.5mi = 69cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.45min, 8.4amph, 2.6mi = 180cal WINDY!
    total cal = 698 - now that's more like it
  • pipcd34
    Options
    WHAT??? do we have a movie star in our midst???? well, kinda sorta not really but kinda..
    Poerava u were really her assistant????????? how cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am honored to be typing your profile name!! i remember her on tv shows.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Wessecg, I know how frustrating it can be to think you are doing everything right and not lose weight. Please don’t get discouraged and give up. How many calories are you eating a day? Do you weigh and measure your food? Since your diary is not available for us to see, it’s hard to know if there are suggestions to give. How much exercise are you getting? I’m sure some of the VIL (very intelligent ladies) could at least offer suggestions if they had more information. Please be patient; since the weight didn’t come on overnight it may take a while to start losing. We are with you.

Naomi, you are so right about MFP being enlightening. I was shocked when I first started, to find out how many calories are in some of the things I used to eat. Things that I love but am no longer willing to have, because that short time pleasure is just not worth all those calories. For sure, it’s a whole new way of living.

Vicki, hoping for the best for your Mom. Sending healing prayers up for her as well.

Sylvia, it sounds like more than you can get done, but I’ll bet you do. I know the party will be a huge success. Just make some down time for yourself when it’s over. <3

Carol, glad your DH is doing well. I feel the same way about Warfarin. Glad he doesn’t have to take it. Good luck with getting your Mom to the wedding.

Jane, sounds like you had a wonderful day. For some reason, as I read your post, I heard the British accent for the first time. And I did giggle when I read “niggle”. That is just a new one to me. Thanks for the translation, Elle.

TNToni, congrats on the tax refund.

Carol NC, Glad you took the opportunity to have a productive day yesterday. I couldn’t find oat bran either so ordered it online. Bob’s Red Mill brand. And the muffins were yummy. It’s not even that easy to find the right brownie mix, but DH found it. I googled “where to buy oat bran in Your City” and found stores, including Wal-Mart that say they have it, but none did. Good luck.

Lesley, I’m sure your nice visit with Susan was better for you than the walk yesterday. Great choice.

Diane, welcome to this group of very supportive and informative women. Please tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Also, please sign each post with your name and a location, be it general or specific. We hope you will come often and join in the chat.

Rori, before we moved from Charlotte I knew where a number of Health Food stores were, but I don’t know if there are any here. You know how these tourist towns are. :s

Chris, you definitely get a gold star for not turning to food today. (*) (*) I am so proud of you. I hope the news wasn’t all bad and just upsetting. It sounds like you did a great thing, turning to exercise. You know we are here for you and yes, sometimes change brings better things. ((Hugs))

I think this is a good place for my quote for the day:

Positive thinkers have a
    Solution for every problem,
    Negative thinkers have a problem
    For every solution
    Stay Positive!

Steven Aitchison

Have a happy and healthy night and day ladies. <3

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    :p I just got this joke in an email and have to share it. I hope you enjoy.

A woman went to the doctor's office where she was seen by one of the younger doctors.

After about four minutes in the examination room, she burst out screaming as she ran

down the hall. An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was, and

she told him her story.

After listening, he had her sit down and relax in another room. The older doctor
    marched down the hallway back to where the young doctor was writing on his clipboard.

"What in the world is the matter with you?", the older doctor demanded.

"Mrs. Terry is 71 years old, has four grown children and seven grandchildren,

and you told her she was pregnant?"

The younger doctor continued writing and without even looking up asked,

"Does she still have the hiccups?"

Janet
    Myrtle Beach
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :D We saw "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" today and it was great. I don't like very many movies and rarely go, but this one was worth it....Jake had a small popcorn and I ate nothing. :D

<3 Barbie from NW Washington