No time for exercising

Options
Hi guys,
I have 2 horses and go to school so I use a lot of time on that. I usually get home at 8 and I don't have time for much else. I really want to build up muscles because I get a lot of injures since I'm weak hehe... The problem is I don't have time and I'm hoping some of you can help me :)

Replies

• pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is no secret formula for this... you have to MAKE time. You need to decide what building muscle is worth to you, do you cut out an hour of TV? do you get up an hour earlier? figure out your schedule and where you can carve out time. Likely 30 minutes per day is enough to start. Also make sure you eating enough (calories and protein) to build muscles.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make time. Wake up an hour earlier or stay up an hour later.
  • FredMikmik
    FredMikmik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6 and have to be at school 730 til 5 and then I go straight to my horses and end at 8. The problem is I also got homework. But ok I guess I just need to get up earlier or go to bed late...
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I workout at 3:30am. It's the only way I'll get it done.

You either make time or make excuses.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Yep. My husband has to be at work at 7:00 so he leaves the house at 5:00 so he can workout before work from 6:00-6:45.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    FredMikmik wrote: »
    I wake up at 6 and have to be at school 730 til 5 and then I go straight to my horses and end at 8. The problem is I also got homework. But ok I guess I just need to get up earlier or go to bed late...
    I'm at the gym at 5, because thats when I make time to go.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So your horses are not exercise? Do you not ride, muck stalls, lift haybales or feed sacks. Not sure what type of horses you have but even mounting and dismounting is exercise. Maybe do it a few more times while you are there. From the off side too so you work both your sides (and your horse's) equally. If you don't lift the feed sacks, or hay bales, maybe take 5 minutes to move one 30 ft. If it is not your farm, and it sounds like it is not, don't forget to take 5 minutes to move those items back. Cleaning hooves is exercise, as is vigorous grooming. Carry a water bucket, etc. Saddle your horse, Unsaddle him, Saddle the other one. It all counts as exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What are you doing with your horses...most people I know who have horses are exercising their horses...and at the same time exercising themselves. Not to mention moving feed around and hey bales and whatnot.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So your horses are not exercise? Do you not ride, muck stalls, lift haybales or feed sacks. Not sure what type of horses you have but even mounting and dismounting is exercise. Maybe do it a few more times while you are there. From the off side too so you work both your sides (and your horse's) equally. If you don't lift the feed sacks, or hay bales, maybe take 5 minutes to move one 30 ft. If it is not your farm, and it sounds like it is not, don't forget to take 5 minutes to move those items back. Cleaning hooves is exercise, as is vigorous grooming. Carry a water bucket, etc. Saddle your horse, Unsaddle him, Saddle the other one. It all counts as exercise.

This!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Most of my longer (10+ mile) runs are at, or after midnight.

If you want it, there is always time.

If you don't, there will never be enough time and plenty of excuses to justify not having time..

• NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yea, I am finishing up writing my thesis and work part-time on developing an online physics course - that is at least 70 hrs/ wk. I go to bed 11 pm - 12 am and wake up at 5 am, and head to the gym before work.

How much time did you spend writing this post? You probably could have done 5 reps of something. You seem to have enough time to make excuses for not making time to work out.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You take care of horses? Isnt that exercise?
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lunchtime at school? Are there team sports you could join in or a gym you could use? Failing that, stairs you can climb? We fit in what we can, when we can.
  • truando
    truando Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    T25 or P90X3 get it done in 30min
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    What I hear when I read your post is: "Working out isn't a priority to me".

Look at your life and your priorities, see where building muscle actually falls for you.

If it's your priority, you'll have all the time in the world for it. Find a workout you can do at home so that you don't have to pay for or make an extra stop at the gym. I assume when you come home that you cook dinner at 8pm? Why not pick options that after prep are in the oven for at least 30 minutes, in that time you can fit in a short, effective workout.
  • YvonneBerdkan
    YvonneBerdkan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    you have to make time, when I find myself making excuses for why I cant workout I just think about my mom, when I was a kid she used to work from 7am-7pm, come home from 4-5 on her own lunch break to cook dinner for me and my 3 other siblings, shed come home from work at 7:30, get us into bed, fix herself something to eat and still manage to get in an hour of exercise before going to bed and doing it all over again the next day. Gotta make it a priority!
  • heybrodudeman
    heybrodudeman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FredMikmik wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have 2 horses and go to school so I use a lot of time on that. I usually get home at 8 and I don't have time for much else. I really want to build up muscles because I get a lot of injures since I'm weak hehe... The problem is I don't have time and I'm hoping some of you can help me :)

Just do bodywork stuff -- sets of pushups won't take very long and you can do them anywhere. Do some squats in your room while studying, etc. These literally take a minute. You don't need a gym membership to work out.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yea, I am finishing up writing my thesis and work part-time on developing an online physics course - that is at least 70 hrs/ wk. I go to bed 11 pm - 12 am and wake up at 5 am, and head to the gym before work.

How much time did you spend writing this post? You probably could have done 5 reps of something. You seem to have enough time to make excuses for not making time to work out.

This was me, except I made it easy to make an excuse to be lazy during my coursework. I knew I had time to work out, but I was just plain lazy. I'm paying for it now, because I didn't want to make the time. So, as you see, OP, there is always a way. Are you in class sitting down for 9 1/2 straight hours? Or do you have free time between classes? Do you want to be like this lady, or like me? Like me, you'll be out of shape and regretting your laziness.

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Make time or make excuses. If anything, exercise helps you cope with the stress of work and school.

You don't have to do it all at once. Take three 10-minute cardio or weight breaks during the day and you've got 30 minutes of exercise sneaked into your day.