No time for exercising

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on sleep if you want to do well at school.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    FredMikmik wrote: »
    Former horse competition here Judge and instructor and coach.

First of all horse riding is exercise and on high levels even heavier than some people can imagine.

Indeed at a lot of sport stables they have special regulations and rules for different kind of jobs. Also mugging out.

What made me worry is this. Why and were do you get your injuries from? I teached hundreds of girls ( and some boys lol) and in my more than 35 years i had 4 major injuries by students and major in the form of a broken arm or pulse My students rarely fall of their horse. As a trainer i could avoid/prevent most of the time situations like that.

Another thing is you build a lot of muscle with good horse riding. thighs, abs, belly arms butt everything gets trained when you ride intensive.

Looking at your pictures you dont to lose weight at all.

I dont know your training level or what you do. But maybe it is time to put it all on paper the pro's and the anti's What are your concerns and why dont you achieve what you want.
    Maybe its you or maybe its the stable your riding

It can be thousand times an respectable stable, but this doesn't mean its a good teaching stable. I had coaches i couldn't work with at all. And i had one very very good coach who trained me to a certain level i never would have reached without him. And he wasn't a qualified instructor. But he had many students at national and international high levels.
    Even Olympic too.
    So an Olympic stable doesn't impress me at all. It doesn't quarinty any form of skill regarding training your horse or you.

Thank you I've been to the European championship in showjumping so I don't doubt their the aching method but I'm also starting to think that there might be something wrong with my posture or something I have had an injured back and I never fell of my horse I just coughed a lot and then it kind of snapped :(

What?? What did the doctor say?
  • FredMikmik
    FredMikmik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

First of all horse riding is exercise and on high levels even heavier than some people can imagine.

Indeed at a lot of sport stables they have special regulations and rules for different kind of jobs. Also mugging out.

What made me worry is this. Why and were do you get your injuries from? I teached hundreds of girls ( and some boys lol) and in my more than 35 years i had 4 major injuries by students and major in the form of a broken arm or pulse My students rarely fall of their horse. As a trainer i could avoid/prevent most of the time situations like that.

Another thing is you build a lot of muscle with good horse riding. thighs, abs, belly arms butt everything gets trained when you ride intensive.

I dont know your training level or what you do. But maybe it is time to put it all on paper the pro's and the anti's What are your concerns and why dont you achieve what you want.

It can be thousand times an respectable stable, but this doesn't mean its a good teaching stable. I had coaches i couldn't work with at all. And i had one very very good coach who trained me to a certain level i never would have reached without him. And he wasn't a qualified instructor. But he had many students at national and international high levels.
    Even Olympic too.
    So an Olympic stable doesn't impress me at all. It doesn't quarinty any form of skill regarding training your horse or you.

Thank you I've been to the European championship in showjumping so I don't doubt their the aching method but I'm also starting to think that there might be something wrong with my posture or something I have had an injured back and I never fell of my horse I just coughed a lot and then it kind of snapped :(

He said I needed to build up muscles in my back which is what I'm trying to do but it's hard when I don't have that much time. But my knees has been hurting so much too and my hip have gone out of it's joint ones so it's not just my back.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Even Olympic too.

He said I needed to build up muscles in my back which is what I'm trying to do but it's hard when I don't have that much time. But my knees has been hurting so much too and my hip have gone out of it's joint ones so it's not just my back.

You need to go back to the doctor and get x-rays / blood tests if your joints are compromised to rule out any underlying issue. If you've been riding all your life you should have built decent core muscles

Do the bodyweight exercises I posted ealier...20 mins in your room ..3-5 times a week should help

Do you calorie or food restrict, you look extremely thin perhaps you could look to eat at a surplus
  • tomatoey
    Options

Even Olympic too.

You're so young. You have to take care of these problems before they get really bad. If I were you, I'd talk to a physiotherapist about developing a program.

Working on addressing these issues might be more important than riding every night.

If your hip popped out, and you have general pain like this, from normal riding, it might be worth doing a very thorough investigation on why that is. Did your doctor have any thoughts on this?
  • FredMikmik
    Options

Even Olympic too.

You're so young. You have to take care of these problems before they get really bad. If I were you, I'd talk to a physiotherapist about developing a program.

Working on addressing these issues might be more important than riding every night.

If your hip popped out, and you have general pain like this, from normal riding, it might be worth doing a very thorough investigation on why that is. Did your doctor have any thoughts on this?

Yes I have been to a physio but it was mainly some massage thing
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Even Olympic too.

You need to go back to the doctor and get x-rays / blood tests if your joints are compromised to rule out any underlying issue. If you've been riding all your life you should have built decent core muscles

Do the bodyweight exercises I posted ealier...20 mins in your room ..3-5 times a week should help

Do you calorie or food restrict, you look extremely thin perhaps you could look to eat at a surplus

No I eat quite a lot and I have been checked for everything I just got to know that I needed to build up muscles, I did a lot of ballet when I was younger and it hurt my knee
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Even Olympic too.

Yes I have been to a physio but it was mainly some massage thing

You need a better physiotherapist, then, except in order to find one you need a better idea of what is going on... One reason (of probably a few possibilities) that someone's hip could pop out like that might be hypermobility related to a connective tissue disorder. I am not saying that is what you have, because I don't know, I"m not a doctor. But if something like that is the case (and I don't know if it is), not all physiotherapists know how to manage those conditions. You have to know what is going on first.

A sports medicine doctor or orthopedist might be able to give you a better idea of what the problem is. What did your doctor say about your hip?
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Even Olympic too.

No I eat quite a lot and I have been checked for everything I just got to know that I needed to build up muscles, I did a lot of ballet when I was younger and it hurt my knee

Ok I am reluctant to play doctor here but I really think you should further investigate these issues.
  • FredMikmik
    Options

Even Olympic too.

Are you very flexible? Unusually so?

Yes
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Even Olympic too.

Yes

I think it would be very wise to get to the bottom of this.

If you do have a syndrome that is causing this flexibility and your proneness to injury, this can be tricky to figure out... Not all doctors are aware of connective tissue problems (if you have this sort of thing - and I don't know that you do, again, I am not a doctor, just someone with mild benign hypermobility who has read a bit about it and seen doctors for it). So it might take seeing a few doctors to figure it out. The ones who can do it are

- rheumatologists
    - orthopedists
    - maybe sports medicine specialists

Doctors in bigger cities working at hospitals affiliated with universities may know more about it than doctors in smaller places.

I think the first step would be asking your current doctor about your symptoms very specifically and asking, "am I hypermobile? If so, what is the reason?"

If they don't have an answer, ask for a referral to one of the specialists above, or see another general practice doctor for a second opinion.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Now that I know you've been getting physical injuries from riding and that's your reason to build up muscle, I want to second @tomatoey 's recommendation of finding a good physio or athletic therapist. (And also potentially having a different riding coach/trainer analyse your posture through any movements you're concerned about to get their feedback as well).

I think you were seeing a massage therapist, and not a physio therapist. Physio therapists would have designed a complete workout plan for you, including exercises you would be expected to do and limitations on certain movements etc. Even if there's no underlying condition, having joint issues at your age is rough; I know because at 18 I had surgery on my knee, at 20 my other knee and I have a torn ligament "connecting" the bones between my ankle and leg. Doing something as strenuous as horseback riding may have been possible after my initial injury and surgery, but now it would be a pipe dream. Do yourself the favour now and instead of making time to workout, make time for an appointment with some medical professionals; have them sort out a plan that's safe for you
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Even Olympic too.

Yes

I think it would be very wise to get to the bottom of this.

If you do have a syndrome that is causing this flexibility and your proneness to injury, this can be tricky to figure out... Not all doctors are aware of connective tissue problems (if you have this sort of thing - and I don't know that you do, again, I am not a doctor, just someone with mild benign hypermobility who has read a bit about it and seen doctors for it). So it might take seeing a few doctors to figure it out. The ones who can do it are

- rheumatologists
    - orthopedists
    - maybe sports medicine specialists

Doctors in bigger cities working at hospitals affiliated with universities may know more about it than doctors in smaller places.

I think the first step would be asking your current doctor about your symptoms very specifically and asking, "am I hypermobile? If so, what is the reason?"

If they don't have an answer, ask for a referral to one of the specialists above, or see another general practice doctor for a second opinion.

Absolutely agree!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Even Olympic too.

When you think there is something wrong with your posture you need to go to a doctor.
    I had and have flexibility problems what are the cause of my back and knee problems and major injury 5 years ago. I had to give up all my horses because of it.

Exercise will make your body stronger But you sure need physio and support for that.
    and no time for exercise is not an option than, you have to make time.
    Otherwise you will end up giving up everything because your body cant do it anymore. Or get injuries like i have that cant me fixed anymore.

Your young go to bed a half hour later or up an half hour earlier and do some exercising. Go to a specialist for sure. Its your body and your own responsibility when you think there is something wrong to get the help you need.

All sounds maybe a bit harsh, but i am just being honest. A forum is nice to get some idea's but in the end it is only you, your doctor & specialist and your trainer who really can help you here and not strangers on a forum who dont know you.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I get you on the homework. I have 16-20 hours of it per week. I have to sneak in some exercise between things - like take the dog for a walk and do squats or lunges while she checks and answers her pee-mail. Or dancing around while I do housework. Etc. You could do that - 5 minutes here, 40 minutes there.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's abit worrying you are getting injured so frequently you should definitely get this checked out!! It's not uncommon that young professional riders don't muck out and care for their horses.. My youngest sister showjumps grand prix level and has never had to muck out!! No I am not bitter!! :p get yourself checked out though before you start adding strength excersizes ;)
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I have 5 horses I need to ride everyday so it's not that I'm making excuses not to workout. The problem is I don't have time to do a 1 hour workout since I need 8 hours sleep to function. I was more asking for some exercises that don't take a lot of time but are effective

Isn't riding exercise? lol. I know nothing about horses. It's hard being a student! Back in the stone age when I was one I'd combine tasks with my exercises. Squats when I washed dishes. Lunges when I swept. I needed to read a book for class? Book on tape when I ran, made a mental note of which chapters to make notes on when I got home. Leg lifts while I was on my back studying chem. Etc. When you're really busy combining them with chores/studying helped me get in a lot more than if I hadn't.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you don't get to an All-Europe showjumping competition without a strong core, for crying out loud.

Unless it's some "vanity" competition with ridiculous entry fees (like a Toddlers and Tiaras competition for Euros), you are going to have SERIOUS core strength and a healthy lower back if you can legit compete in equestrian events.

And, seriously, even royalty is expected to "build character" by mucking out stalls.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't get to an All-Europe showjumping competition without a strong core, for crying out loud.

Unless it's some "vanity" competition with ridiculous entry fees (like a Toddlers and Tiaras competition for Euros), you are going to have SERIOUS core strength and a healthy lower back if you can legit compete in equestrian events.

And, seriously, even royalty is expected to "build character" by mucking out stalls.
    I know one girl who showjumps to a high level who actually thought horses shoes already had jumping studs in them!! :p because not only had she never studded up in her life she had never actually tacked up!! :| she had always had the horse just handed to her!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    steff274 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »

I know one girl who showjumps to a high level who actually thought horses shoes already had jumping studs in them!! :p because not only had she never studded up in her life she had never actually tacked up!! :| she had always had the horse just handed to her!!

LOL, crazy. Everyone I've ever known from real "old money" style wealth has had to do serious nasty chores and brutal summer "camps" to "toughen them up." Are these all pampered nouveau riches that get coddled like this? because, dayum. I went to college with some Presidential relatives, etc....there was all manner of "hike the mountain to have empathy with the poors" BS going on. No "take the pretty horsie and ride" BS.

But, even if you aren't doing upkeep work...show jumping takes CORE. I did show jumping at a low level. If you have a weak core, you BY DEFINITION will be a terrible show jumper. How does someone get to an all-Europe competition with a weak core?