Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    steff274 wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't get to an All-Europe showjumping competition without a strong core, for crying out loud.

Unless it's some "vanity" competition with ridiculous entry fees (like a Toddlers and Tiaras competition for Euros), you are going to have SERIOUS core strength and a healthy lower back if you can legit compete in equestrian events.

And, seriously, even royalty is expected to "build character" by mucking out stalls.
    I know one girl who showjumps to a high level who actually thought horses shoes already had jumping studs in them!! :p because not only had she never studded up in her life she had never actually tacked up!! :| she had always had the horse just handed to her!!

LOL, crazy. Everyone I've ever known from real "old money" style wealth has had to do serious nasty chores and brutal summer "camps" to "toughen them up." Are these all pampered nouveau riches that get coddled like this? because, dayum. I went to college with some Presidential relatives, etc....there was all manner of "hike the mountain to have empathy with the poors" BS going on. No "take the pretty horsie and ride" BS.

But, even if you aren't doing upkeep work...show jumping takes CORE. I did show jumping at a low level. If you have a weak core, you BY DEFINITION will be a terrible show jumper. How does someone get to an all-Europe competition with a weak core?

By making it up?
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Riding is all core work in fairness to my little sister she spent far too much time riding to actually have time to muck them out!! Like I said I am not bitter!! :p she has a 6 pack through just riding!! She jumps against all the big names I hope one day she makes it to the Olympics she has the talent and is brave.. She is also in the top 50 young riders rankings British showjumping 33rd last time I bothered to check!! ;)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't get to an All-Europe showjumping competition without a strong core, for crying out loud.

Unless it's some "vanity" competition with ridiculous entry fees (like a Toddlers and Tiaras competition for Euros), you are going to have SERIOUS core strength and a healthy lower back if you can legit compete in equestrian events.

And, seriously, even royalty is expected to "build character" by mucking out stalls.
    I know one girl who showjumps to a high level who actually thought horses shoes already had jumping studs in them!! :p because not only had she never studded up in her life she had never actually tacked up!! :| she had always had the horse just handed to her!!

LOL, crazy. Everyone I've ever known from real "old money" style wealth has had to do serious nasty chores and brutal summer "camps" to "toughen them up." Are these all pampered nouveau riches that get coddled like this? because, dayum. I went to college with some Presidential relatives, etc....there was all manner of "hike the mountain to have empathy with the poors" BS going on. No "take the pretty horsie and ride" BS.

But, even if you aren't doing upkeep work...show jumping takes CORE. I did show jumping at a low level. If you have a weak core, you BY DEFINITION will be a terrible show jumper. How does someone get to an all-Europe competition with a weak core?

By making it up?

... or by compensating in a way that might be damaging to knees or hips?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.
    Dutch riding school education sends out their students to big stables
    To be fair, you dont have to be an excellent rider these days.

I had them at my stable/riding school and some of them were even afraid for a horse. Let alone they could ride a horse pretty decent.

But that must be the fact that i am old school and believe that they have to mug out stables too hehehe

But yes a lot of girls make things up too. And there is a huge group who think that they will make it in the horse world. But reality is that this is only for some really though athletics. Riders who train their horses every day, who bike and run ( cardio) for being fit.

Been there done that. For more than 46 years!
    And teaching and coaching and judging for more than 30 years.

• andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Maybe start by finding time Saturdays ands Sundays when u don't have school and go from there?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Could also ride the horses a bit less and therefore take some time to focus on your health. Seems like your body is in need of some careful attention :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

I had them at my stable/riding school and some of them were even afraid for a horse. Let alone they could ride a horse pretty decent.

But that must be the fact that i am old school and believe that they have to mug out stables too hehehe

But yes a lot of girls make things up too. And there is a huge group who think that they will make it in the horse world. But reality is that this is only for some really though athletics. Riders who train their horses every day, who bike and run ( cardio) for being fit.

See, I think this is why this bothers me. There is a reason that Equestrian events are part of the Olympic games. Because real, legitimate competitors in this field are ATHLETES. They go to the gym, they lift some hardcore weights to strengthen their quads and core....because equestrian is a SPORT. A challenging, demanding, REAL sport. And any outfit that tells pampered kids that they are "competitive" when they are weak? A con job.

Look, OP. You just started talking about "owning horses." Yeay for your parents having money. Yawn. If you are serious about competitive riding, your coach will have you in the gym working on squats and front squats and deadlifts to get your thighs and back where you need to be to compete on even a basic level. If you seriously are in poor condition? Then you need to fire your coach and move your horses to a REAL stable that will have you shoveling poo for hours every day before they let you enter the tack room. That's what REAL equestrian programmes do.
  • tomatoey
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

See, I think this is why this bothers me. There is a reason that Equestrian events are part of the Olympic games. Because real, legitimate competitors in this field are ATHLETES. They go to the gym, they lift some hardcore weights to strengthen their quads and core....because equestrian is a SPORT. A challenging, demanding, REAL sport. And any outfit that tells pampered kids that they are "competitive" when they are weak? A con job.

Look, OP. You just started talking about "owning horses." Yeay for your parents having money. Yawn. If you are serious about competitive riding, your coach will have you in the gym working on squats and front squats and deadlifts to get your thighs and back where you need to be to compete on even a basic level. If you seriously are in poor condition? Then you need to fire your coach and move your horses to a REAL stable that will have you shoveling poo for hours every day before they let you enter the tack room. That's what REAL equestrian programmes do.

I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's question.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

By making it up?

Don't have to.

Ops question is about how she can't work out because she spends HOURS of every day doing what SHOULD BE A WORKOUT.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

Ops question is about how she can't work out because she spends HOURS of every day doing what SHOULD BE A WORKOUT.

indeed
    Horse riding IS exercise and on higher levels a very hard and good exercise
  • tomatoey
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

If you read her posts in this thread, you'd see that she is looking to find a way to do strength exercises that are necessary for managing pain.

I don't think it's at all becoming for a grown woman to be all up in a teenager's face about what a "workout" is supposed to be, or riding cred or - who cares, I mean, it's such a weird thing to be up in arms about. Especially when the kid's dislocated her hip, for crying out loud.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

If you read her posts in this thread, you'd see that she is looking to find a way to do strength exercises that are necessary for managing pain.

I don't think it's at all becoming for a grown woman to be all up in a teenager's face about what a "workout" is supposed to be, or riding cred or - who cares, I mean, it's such a weird thing to be up in arms about. Especially when the kid's dislocated her hip, for crying out loud.

Ya gotta love the part where handling poop is the only method on the planet to build character
  • FredMikmik
    FredMikmik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have seen a sport physio who told me to do some strength training at home but not which ones. I do have a quite strong core and lower back but my upper back is causing me a lot of pain. Horse back riding is a sport but it doesn't matter what kind of sport you do you can still get injuries. I do have hyper mobility which is something that hurts me when I ride because if the horse pulls or anything my arms move a bit forward which hurts a lot when you are hyper mobile. When I was younger I was at a regular stable where I did muck out and stuff but at my new stable you're not aloud to. And my name is not Fred it's just that English speakers don't know how to pronounce it or they think it's ugly.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

By making it up?

Don't have to.

Ya gotta love the part where handling poop is the only method on the planet to build character

Yeah, that was also sort of beyond me :\
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    FredMikmik wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I have seen a sport physio who told me to do some strength training at home but not which ones. I do have a quite strong core and lower back but my upper back is causing me a lot of pain. Horse back riding is a sport but it doesn't matter what kind of sport you do you can still get injuries. I do have hyper mobility which is something that hurts me when I ride because if the horse pulls or anything my arms move a bit forward which hurts a lot when you are hyper mobile. When I was younger I was at a regular stable where I did muck out and stuff but at my new stable you're not aloud to. And my name is not Fred it's just that English speakers don't know how to pronounce it or they think it's ugly.

If you're not clear on what your sports physio or any kind of professional has asked you to do or if you need more details, you should ask them questions. By asking someone new who doesn't have enough information about you, they could inadvertently give you advice that is contraindicated to your condition

• tomatoey
    Options

If you're not clear on what your sports physio or any kind of professional has asked you to do or if you need more details, you should ask them questions. By asking someone new who doesn't have enough information about you, they could inadvertently give you advice that is contraindicated to your condition

100% agree, ask questions. I wish it weren't the case, but sometimes you have to be bold to get the help you need. You're doing a good job here, though :)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are several books on exercises for the equestrian. The Rider's Fitness Program: 74 Exercises & 18 Workouts Specifically Designed for the Equestrian is very good. Yes they will take time but they will add to your strengthening. If you ride in an English style saddle, may I suggest you try the Western Discipline. A 40 lb saddle will definitely give you some muscles. Ground driving is another good way to get some exercise in. 5 squats before you mount up and some other stretches will help be more flexible. Posting without stirrups, yikes, what a workout! LOL! Since you enjoy your horses, work your exercise program around them, you will be amazed at the change in your level of fitness.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Buy a kettle bell or find something to use as one. For 12 minutes do 5 burpees, 10 kettle bell swings, and 15 squats. You can YouTube these exercises if they are unfamiliar and ensure you are doing them to maximum benefit. Do as many sets as possible. Each day try to increase the number of sets. If you have 20 minutes add two more exercises. If you have 30 add three. As many sets as possible. Good luck.
  • FredMikmik
    Options

Thank you I think you're right I need to go to my physio and get som actual exercises!
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    There are several books on exercises for the equestrian. The Rider's Fitness Program: 74 Exercises & 18 Workouts Specifically Designed for the Equestrian is very good. Yes they will take time but they will add to your strengthening. If you ride in an English style saddle, may I suggest you try the Western Discipline. A 40 lb saddle will definitely give you some muscles. Ground driving is another good way to get some exercise in. 5 squats before you mount up and some other stretches will help be more flexible. Posting without stirrups, yikes, what a workout! LOL! Since you enjoy your horses, work your exercise program around them, you will be amazed at the change in your level of fitness.

Thank you!