"Clean Eating" ??

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal.

And there it is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Calories are not equal and your body can tell the difference between a doughnut and a banana. There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal. The fries are full of fats and carbs and little actual nutrient that will leave your body hungry, causing you to eat more. As where the "clean" meal has more nutrients that will actually feed your body, helping to it function better. A lot of people who are obese are actually found to have malnutrition because they eat empty calories and are constantly hungry because their body's aren't being fed properly. I'm not saying never ever eat a doughnut, or fries or what have you, but to say that it's the same as a banana is wrong.

ummm no ..

calories are units of energy …so 100 calories of a banana = 100 calories of a donut ….they are, however, not the same nutritionally..

however, if one has a donut in the morning and the rest of their day is nutrient dense foods and they hit their macros/micros/calorie target then it does not matter.

overall diet and dosage is what matters.

and before anyone even says it…I am not advocating a diet of donuts and ice cream all day...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Calories are not equal and your body can tell the difference between a doughnut and a banana. There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal. The fries are full of fats and carbs and little actual nutrient that will leave your body hungry, causing you to eat more. As where the "clean" meal has more nutrients that will actually feed your body, helping to it function better. A lot of people who are obese are actually found to have malnutrition because they eat empty calories and are constantly hungry because their body's aren't being fed properly. I'm not saying never ever eat a doughnut, or fries or what have you, but to say that it's the same as a banana is wrong.
    Agreed. I don't think anyone's saying that it's bad to eat a doughnut. But I don't know how it can be said that the body can't tell the difference between the two when the banana supplies the body with a lot more nutrients.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Agreed. I don't think anyone's saying that it's bad to eat a doughnut. But I don't know how it can be said that the body can't tell the difference between the two when the banana supplies the body with a lot more nutrients.

because 100 calories of energy in banana = 100 calories of energy in donut..

you are conflating nutrients and energy….they are not the same..

so lets review..

100 calories of the banana = 100 calories in the donut

100 calories of banana > nutrients than donut

in closing, there are no "empty" calories. All calories are a measure/unit of energy. So lets just stop with that ridiculousness too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Because of digestion. All food pretty much gets reduced to it's nutritional elements and individual foods aren't a recognizable element of that process. If for example a person had not supplied their body with the proper nutritional requirements for a day or two, then ate fries or a donut or both, those nutritional elements within those foods would be digested and metabolized adding to any nutrition already delivered which could and would help meet an individuals nutritional needs. In the context of a days worth of food, calorie dense foods have less of an ability to deliver those nutritional needs, but that has nothing to do with the actual nutrition value differences in food, whether deemed good or bad, it's all about context and dosage.....it really can't be that hard to understand, could it?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal.

Will you share the definition of "clean" you are working from? Each advocate for declaring some foods "clean" and the rest "dirty" seems to be using a different definition.

"If it tastes like dirt... You know it's good." Lol!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W3w4EcuyvIY
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the trans fats and bleached white flour in the donut aren't good. I'm craving the donut because chemicals=yum but give me the banana please.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Because of digestion. All food pretty much gets reduced to it's nutritional elements and individual foods aren't a recognizable element of that process. If for example a person had not supplied their body with the proper nutritional requirements for a day or two, then ate fries or a donut or both, those nutritional elements within those foods would be digested and metabolized adding to any nutrition already delivered which could and would help meet an individuals nutritional needs. In the context of a days worth of food, calorie dense foods have less of an ability to deliver those nutritional needs, but that has nothing to do with the actual nutrition value differences in food, whether deemed good or bad, it's all about context and dosage.....it really can't be that hard to understand, could it?

Quoted for awesomeness.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Why does it have to be 500 calories of fries, vs a 500 calorie meal, though? Can't we do a 500 calorie meal (with a side of fries) vs a 500 calorie "clean" meal? Wouldn't that be a more accurate comparison?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Why does it have to be 500 calories of fries, vs a 500 calorie meal, though? Can't we do a 500 calorie meal (with a side of fries) vs a 500 calorie "clean" meal? Wouldn't that be a more accurate comparison?

tumblr_luqaotV3PO1qlo9k7.gif
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

What's unclean about fries?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as clean eating!! Calorie is a calorie. Your body cannot tell a difference between a donut and a banana.

True, but my brain tells me not to stop at one donut, but I can easily stop at one banana. And the banana is also more nutritious than a donut and doesn't make me fall asleep an hour later.

Oh, my brain used to tell me not to stop at a lot of things. Like second helpings. Another part of my brain is very effective at telling it to go stuff itself now that I'm conscious of how many calories I'm consuming and want to lose weight.

It's nice when you take control of your food instead of letting yourself labor under the illusion that food has control over you.
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You really should have used the search function to find the previous 2.75 million threads about clean eating that have all devolved into name calling, rage quits, cat gifs, and eventually had to be closed by the moderators.
    In for cat gifs

tumblr_mlfos75BqJ1rlemoyo1_400.gif

ahh, good ol cat Gifs!!! awesome!! Made my Saturday
  • ndj1979
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Pretty sure the trans fats and bleached white flour in the donut aren't good. I'm craving the donut because chemicals=yum but give me the banana please.

pretty sure you are wrong.
  • ndj1979
    Options

because moderation always = 500 calories of 100% fries, donuts, insert bad food here….
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    In for "a unit of measurement isn't equal to a unit of measurement" fallacy.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Not a cat...best I can do

3508915+_bbd9b5a49e0b5b799a69428ead006733.jpg
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    In for "a unit of measurement isn't equal to a unit of measurement" fallacy.

Ugh. But you KNOW what they actually MEAN. [Insert some irony about being pedantic here.]

;)

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Clean eating? That's like, only going to restaurants with an A rating from the Health Department, right?