"Clean Eating" ??

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    The body requires more to function than just calories. There are things found in a banana in greater quantity than a doughnut like, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

But say you've met your bodies required nutrient requirements and just need some more calories to fuel yourself. No harm no foul, I'd choose the donut... Assuming it's chocolate glazed.

Phoenix_down -- How would you know for sure you've met your individual nutrient requirements for a given time period? Do you think the only nutrients we need are the ones which have a documented DRI?

I don't have a 'rolling eyes' gif, so...

cat-with-corn-o.gif

(Please note, I am not advocating that cats eat corn, donuts, or even bananas. They are obligate carnivores)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    So, I just checked...a Dunkin' Doughnuts bavarian creme filled doughnut is 270 cals, 8 g sugar, 3 g protein and 1 g fiber, with Vit. A and iron.

A medium Chiquita banana is 110 cals with 19 g sugar, 1 g protein, 3 g fiber and of course lots of potassium, some B vitamins and some C.

I prefer the option with less sugar and more protein, personally.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Calories are not equal and your body can tell the difference between a doughnut and a banana. There is a huge difference between eating 500 calories of fries and a 500 calorie "clean" meal. The fries are full of fats and carbs and little actual nutrient that will leave your body hungry, causing you to eat more. As where the "clean" meal has more nutrients that will actually feed your body, helping to it function better. A lot of people who are obese are actually found to have malnutrition because they eat empty calories and are constantly hungry because their body's aren't being fed properly. I'm not saying never ever eat a doughnut, or fries or what have you, but to say that it's the same as a banana is wrong.

This!! :-) iv just started eating a lot more fibrous foods and feel so much better....feel full for waaaaay longer, skin is clearing real nicely and I have so much more energy....my runs are a lot easier too! I'm all for eating the "right" things to fuel your body :-)

Wanna know what our pre-race meal is? Pizza. It was an accident, but now it's tradition.

Mine is Indian food. Also originally an accident, but then it happened a couple more times, so I've decided to make it a tradition.

Pretty sure the Indian food I eat has lots of fats and carbs.

(Also puzzled by this new definition of "unclean" as "containing fats and carbs," but I've stopped expecting reason here.)
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    The body requires more to function than just calories. There are things found in a banana in greater quantity than a doughnut like, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

But say you've met your bodies required nutrient requirements and just need some more calories to fuel yourself. No harm no foul, I'd choose the donut... Assuming it's chocolate glazed.

Phoenix_down -- How would you know for sure you've met your individual nutrient requirements for a given time period? Do you think the only nutrients we need are the ones which have a documented DRI?

svndxw.gif

Please show me your notes on how YOU keep track of yours, since you know all about this. Mine...
    oti8mc.gif
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Holy crap, @MrM27 I'm totes jealous!! That looks deliciously clean, and I bet it wasn't on the floor even once!
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Didn't we just do this yesterday with the "bad food" thread?

pretty sure we did this about three times yesterday...

Which leads to this question ~ Then why do you all keep taking the bait?
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Please show me your notes on how YOU keep track of yours, since you know all about this. Mine...

I don't track mine. So I wouldn't assume I'd "met my bodies required nutrient requirements and just need some more calories." I was just wondering how you do since YOU made the claim. Sorry to bother you with a question.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh that bread. I can practically smell it.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I don't track mine. So I wouldn't assume I'd "met my bodies required nutrient requirements and just need some more calories." I was just wondering how you do since YOU made the claim. Sorry to bother you with a question.

Well, since they're impossible to track, I guess I'll never know . Sorry to bother you for an explanation
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Didn't we just do this yesterday with the "bad food" thread?

pretty sure we did this about three times yesterday...

Which leads to this question ~ Then why do you all keep taking the bait?

Because cat gifs...

cat_did_u_forget.gif
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Pretty sure the trans fats and bleached white flour in the donut aren't good. I'm craving the donut because chemicals=yum but give me the banana please.

I don't like donuts that much. (On occasion they hit the spot, like that malasada I mentioned eating in one of the 845 clean eating threads from yesterday.)

I also realize that chemicals are in everything--everything, including you, is made up of chemicals--so the "donuts are tasty because chemicals" thing I just don't comprehend.

At any rate, here are the ingredients in a doughnut (pretty standard recipe, there are many, obviously, these are pumpkin, because that sounds good to me at the moment):

all-purpose flour
    baking powder
    baking soda (uh-oh)
    salt
    cinnamon
    ginger
    nutmeg
    cloves
    sugar
    butter
    eggs
    vanilla extract
    buttermilk
    pumpkin
    oil for deep frying

Now, I personally limit (but do not eliminate) my consumption of fried things, but I'm not sure what makes this doughnut so terribly toxic assuming you eat it (as doughnuts are meant to be eaten) not as your major nutrient source, but as a dessert or snack that makes up a small portion of your calories for the day or week.

I guess I'm reading the above as claiming the doughnut is horrible because of trans-fats--which as you can see (and should be obvious) are not intrinsic to a doughnut--and because of flour (which is just odd).

On that basis, I am probably going to die soon, since I had some naan last night, and I'm reasonably sure it contained flour. (I managed to exercise a lot so far today, but I imagine that's just a fluke and I actually feel terrible, unbeknownst to me.)

For the record, not celiac.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

On that basis, I am probably going to die soon, since I had some naan last night, and I'm reasonably sure it contained flour. (I managed to exercise a lot so far today, but I imagine that's just a fluke and I actually feel terrible, unbeknownst to me.)

OMG, flour??? You mean that stuff we've been turning wheat into for at least 12000 years?? Our bodies can't possibly handle that!!

Yes, well aware that our modern flour is a hell of a lot more refined that the stuff the Natufians were nomming down on, but you try making flour with these suckers...

grinding-stones.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Also, it's not impossible to make your own doughnuts and bake them. You can even use alternative flours if you don't want to eat wheat. And use honey or stevia instead of sugar.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I'm not dead of magnesium deficiency or Vitamin B deficiency...so I guess absent any evidence to the contrary, I'm gonna assume I'm good.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

OMG, flour??? You mean that stuff we've been turning wheat into for at least 12000 years?? Our bodies can't possibly handle that!!

Yes, well aware that our modern flour is a hell of a lot more refined that the stuff the Natufians were nomming down on, but you try making flour with these suckers...

grinding-stones.jpg

Is it wrong that I look at that and see donuts?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

grinding-stones.jpg

Is it wrong that I look at that and see donuts?

So not wrong :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

grinding-stones.jpg

;-) Very cool.

It wasn't 12000 years ago, and their equipment was not identical, of course, but one branch of my family ran the first grain mill in their Iowa county back in the day. So when people say that clean eating means (a) no flour, and (b) eating like your great great (etc.) grandparents, I get confused.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Also, it's not impossible to make your own doughnuts and bake them. You can even use alternative flours if you don't want to eat wheat. And use honey or stevia instead of sugar.

Yeah, I thought about using a baked doughnut recipe, but figured I could make the point even with fried.