why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. But when I was younger and more willing to spend stupid amounts of money on unneccesary weight loss things, I signed up to a place called 'Healthy Inspirations', basically a Curves type gym that also gave you a Weight Watchers type meal plan. Their week one was a "healthy kickstart" where for 7 days straight where you can eat unlimited amounts of:

Meat - any type including bacon, seafood, eggs etc.
    Veges - anything but the starchy ones
    Dairy - Cheese, cream, butter but not milk
    Nuts and olives

Knowing nothing of calories, I was easily packing away a couple hundred grams of cheese and the same in nuts a day for 7 days along with a crapload of bacon, steak, eggs etc all cooked in butter, and lost 5kg.

I know nothing of the science, and I wasn't tracking any calories but I've often thought about that, since I know so much more now and wonder how the hell I didn't GAIN 5kg that week.

I think things like this are water weight more than fat loss.

I'm interested in this topic, too.

This. A week of low carb is mostly water weight. I lost 7lbs my first week. Water.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    people drink cream ? :shock:

bleurghh

Some people eat butter, too.

Then again, some people eat horses, bugs, frogs and snails, so I don't judge. I'll stick to using the cream in my coffee and chocolate mousse and the butter on my eggs.

do you mean like just butter .. or butter melted into hot toast .. because I know which one I could cope with

yes, there are people who EAT BUTTER.

i love me some butter, but please put it on or in something LOLOL

I think for MOST people (barring diabetes or other health concern) a normal diet, with the normal rec. amount of carbs is fine. of course CICO matters, some people (not all just some) are just... in denial? or maybe they are (coincidentally) eating at their number without meaning to.

cant be concerned too much about what other people are doing, i have my own fat to worry about LOLOLOL

man i love butter but I have to put it on something = waffles, bagels, toast…

thinking about use cutting a piece of butter off and eating it makes me shiver….*bla*
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    This is way more PG than I expected.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so when I did low carb Atkins was all the rage and there were guidlines it did not mean i could eat a tub of lard because there was no lard....

seriously would you drink five liters of diet coke because there are no calories or six pots of coffee because there are no calories?

The simple answer is no because you would feel like crap and not meet your health goals

didn't some people take atkins to the extreme and start eating steak and bacon all day????

Years ago, probably 15 or so, I had to run to the store to pick up heavy cream because I was making shrimp Alfredo pasta for my mom visiting from out of town (her favorite meal). Standing in line at the checkout, I heard a guy behind me saying, "hey. Are you on Atkins? Hey... You on Atkins?" I didn't think he was talking to me but then he tapped me on the shoulder and asked again. "Are you on Atkins? It's awesome. I'm on it and I drink that stuff all the time and you can eat pork rinds and I've lost 25 lbs!" I said, "you eat pork rinds and drink heavy cream and you are bragging about that to strangers in public?" I wasn't even trying to be snarky. I was seriously dumbfounded.

In full disclosure it was at Walmart....

jai20pwp4rcs.jpeg

Whu, it's like cereal.

I just threw up in my mouth.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

bleurghh

Then again, some people eat horses, bugs, frogs and snails, so I don't judge. I'll stick to using the cream in my coffee and chocolate mousse and the butter on my eggs.

You know where I saw the butter eating talk first? Not from low carbers, but from clean eaters. It was "because pastured butter". This was before bulletproof coffee became a thing.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    Heres an example. Way back when, I was a member of an egg fast-stall breaker diet page. For 1-2 weeks these people ate nothing but eggs and fat (butter, mayo, coconut oil). The rule was 1 TBS fat per egg. The general amount of eggs consumed were 10-12 per day with the added fat alongside.
    The calories were huge and yet the majority lost weigh like crazy!

at 70 calories an egg that would be 840 calories for 12 eggs …so if you just 12 eggs and some fats not sure you would hit 1500 ????

But 12 TBS of fat would be at least another 1200 cal or more, if we go by that story. Personally I think people were probably skipping fats however.

12 tbs of fat a day is insane!!! If I have a 2 tbs of olive oil a day that is ALOT for me...

How would you even do that unless you were having it in shots? I love eggs but the thought of them swimming in all that oil... gag.

I do shots of hemp oil occasionally to get my fat macros up. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

i am actually impressed…I thought this would be a level four dumpster fire by now...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Heres an example. Way back when, I was a member of an egg fast-stall breaker diet page. For 1-2 weeks these people ate nothing but eggs and fat (butter, mayo, coconut oil). The rule was 1 TBS fat per egg. The general amount of eggs consumed were 10-12 per day with the added fat alongside.

at 70 calories an egg that would be 840 calories for 12 eggs …so if you just 12 eggs and some fats not sure you would hit 1500 ????

But 12 TBS of fat would be at least another 1200 cal or more, if we go by that story. Personally I think people were probably skipping fats however.

12 tbs of fat a day is insane!!! If I have a 2 tbs of olive oil a day that is ALOT for me...

How would you even do that unless you were having it in shots? I love eggs but the thought of them swimming in all that oil... gag.

I do shots of hemp oil occasionally to get my fat macros up. :smile:

for real?????
  • asdowe13
    Options

i am actually impressed…I thought this would be a level four dumpster fire by now...

Goes to show MFP can act it's age sometimes
  • ndj1979
    Options

Goes to show MFP can act it's age sometimes

ha! agreed….
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options
    if any of the low carbers are curious, this is the thread that spawned this thread

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31656383#Comment_31656383
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

bleurghh

mmmm breakfast. Lots of protein. :p

eating-insects-chapulines.jpg

• asdowe13
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

bleurghh

I would try it...and if seasoned properly probably eat the whole bowl
  • ndj1979
    Options

bleurghh

they kinda look like craw fish ...
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options

bleurghh

I would think with a bottle of Bourdeaux
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Well, I have to say this thread is a refreshing surprise. I'm enjoying it. I've posted a lot on other low carb threads, but I'll just throw in my own experience. I've low carbed and it didn't work for me because eating until I was full didn't work for an emotional eater.

Having dealt with the emotional issues I had and moved on from low carbing, I became what I recently came to call myself--a selective carber. I moderate my carbs and only eat the ones I really enjoy like oatmeal and potatoes. I have a couple of medical conditions (fibromyalgia/CFS, psoriatic arthritis, and chronic migraines) that either include fatigue as a symptom or include fatigue-inducing medications.

I've found over time that my macro balance affects my energy levels. My body likes a lot of protein. It likes some carbs, but not too many.

I net around 100-120 carbs a day and am a vegetarian now. I've also lost more weight counting calories now than I did low-carbing 20 years ago. If I had known to watch my calories then, it would have worked, I'm sure. I just ate too much.
  • asdowe13
    Options

bleurghh

I would think with a bottle of Bourdeaux

Would prefer an Imperial Stout
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    I take it back. i think a couple pints of brew so i can swoosh and gargle down all the legs that get stuck between my teeth :s
  • blktngldhrt
    edited March 2015
    Options

because it doesnt work that way

people who do a low carb diet have a specific limitation just like CICO have a calorie limitation

low carbers have a daily fat and carb limitation

Protein is limited as well..

My limitation is calculated by how many calories I choose to eat. I strive for 5% carb 23% protein and 72% fat.