why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Also, why do you insist people are "confused?" Keto food is generally more calorie dense, therefore lower volume, not the other way around. You need a lot of broccoli to match the calories in a filet with a pat of butter on top. People get to eat til they're full, that's the difference, it has nothing to do with volume. Higher fat with adequate protein makes someone feel full faster than higher carb.

So you're saying that I can eat 2000 calories worth of fish, fried in fat if I wanted to and I'll lose weight?

No, I'm saying you'd get full at 1400 and put the other 600 in the fridge (or possibly feed it to ducks, if it's from McDonald's)

OK, I haven't made it to the end of this thread yet, so others may have beat me to it, but I see what you did there :). I miss that thread!

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I appreciate all the low carbers coming in here and validating that they agree with CICO ..this has been a great thread and not the dumpster fire that I thought it might be….

It has actually been a very informative thread. Thanks. I didn't have much hope for it when it started; I thought it would be closed pretty quickly.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I appreciate all the low carbers coming in here and validating that they agree with CICO ..this has been a great thread and not the dumpster fire that I thought it might be….

It has actually been a very informative thread. Thanks. I didn't have much hope for it when it started; I thought it would be closed pretty quickly.

IKR!! Look at everyone playing nicely. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Like, this is us!

cats%2Bin%2Bperfect%2Bharmony.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    so when I did low carb Atkins was all the rage and there were guidlines it did not mean i could eat a tub of lard because there was no lard....

seriously would you drink five liters of diet coke because there are no calories or six pots of coffee because there are no calories?

The simple answer is no because you would feel like crap and not meet your health goals

didn't some people take atkins to the extreme and start eating steak and bacon all day????

Years ago, probably 15 or so, I had to run to the store to pick up heavy cream because I was making shrimp Alfredo pasta for my mom visiting from out of town (her favorite meal). Standing in line at the checkout, I heard a guy behind me saying, "hey. Are you on Atkins? Hey... You on Atkins?" I didn't think he was talking to me but then he tapped me on the shoulder and asked again. "Are you on Atkins? It's awesome. I'm on it and I drink that stuff all the time and you can eat pork rinds and I've lost 25 lbs!" I said, "you eat pork rinds and drink heavy cream and you are bragging about that to strangers in public?" I wasn't even trying to be snarky. I was seriously dumbfounded.

In full disclosure it was at Walmart....
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tommyhx wrote: »
    Na i reckon carbs give the best gains honestly. Look at how big ive gotten and 13

Are you saying you are 13 years old? Most of profile is misspelled and has a picture of a child.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do keto, and it truly is cico. Dont base an assumption on just one person. Also understand that maybe, from a scientific standpoint, that is what they can conclude. Use perspective analysis to understand what the other person is thinking. Maybe they are dumb to the notion (as in, they are uninformed) I know I was at some point...I still am on some topics. But I never ever say that keto is a magic bean to weight loss. I need to stay dedicated just like anyone else. It has its pros and cons, but it helps me in my progression.

Law of Conservation of Matter (coined by Lavoisier): matter is neither created nor destroyed...it is simply transferred. All matter has energy, and calories are a form energy takes. That is the TRUE definition of cico. Look it up.

If you burn more energy than you consume over a certain timeframe, you will have used what is called "stored energy." This holds true over the long term, as body weight fluctuates day to day for hundreds of reasons. It is not absolute...you use a combination of metabolic and stored energy all the time. But if you lose stored energy, you lose mass, and become smaller.

Diets are a tool. That is all, a tool that adheres to the Law of Conservation of Matter.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    IR and PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome are not curable, anymore than diabetes is. You can get rid of some or all of the symptoms if you eat correctly for your condition and keep the weight off. But if you go back to eating carbs, the symptoms come back.
    I was diagnosed with IR and prediabetes about 9 years ago. Then I lost excess fat and added muscle mass with a barbell. My bloodwork (including A1C) is now awesome across the board and no signs of either of the above.

I eat about 250g carbs a day, out of 2400, so about 40% of my calories. That includes stuff like candy bars and cookies when I feel like it, and I don't get the "food coma" I used to get before.

• StaceyWhatsit
    StaceyWhatsit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do low carb - around 20g per day. But I keep within my calorie allowance, isn't that common sense? Maybe I'm doing it wrong lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It would be nice if some low carbers came in here and acutely refuted this…

I have gone through low carb phases in the past. In fact I'm currently on a PSFM cycle, just to see what it's like, so I guess technically I'm low carb right now, although I don't think of it in those terms.

There's no magic - it's just another tool to generate the CI I'm after.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons this is a tetchy subject for me was I got into a rather large debate with the egg fast people re; cico.

Them
    " Counting calories is unnecessary if you do low carb/keto. CICO doesn't work for everyone!!! "

Me
    posted a link to a calorie calculator asking them to at least estimate their daily calorie intake.

Their response was
    " Not interested "

So as per usual I left the conversation none the wiser....

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    so when I did low carb Atkins was all the rage and there were guidlines it did not mean i could eat a tub of lard because there was no lard....

seriously would you drink five liters of diet coke because there are no calories or six pots of coffee because there are no calories?

The simple answer is no because you would feel like crap and not meet your health goals

didn't some people take atkins to the extreme and start eating steak and bacon all day????

Years ago, probably 15 or so, I had to run to the store to pick up heavy cream because I was making shrimp Alfredo pasta for my mom visiting from out of town (her favorite meal). Standing in line at the checkout, I heard a guy behind me saying, "hey. Are you on Atkins? Hey... You on Atkins?" I didn't think he was talking to me but then he tapped me on the shoulder and asked again. "Are you on Atkins? It's awesome. I'm on it and I drink that stuff all the time and you can eat pork rinds and I've lost 25 lbs!" I said, "you eat pork rinds and drink heavy cream and you are bragging about that to strangers in public?" I wasn't even trying to be snarky. I was seriously dumbfounded.

In full disclosure it was at Walmart....

jai20pwp4rcs.jpeg

Whu, it's like cereal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    people drink cream ? :shock:

bleurghh
  • dechelonian
    dechelonian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think I mentioned it in another thread, don't know if its in the one you are referring to.

Low carbs or high carbs doesnt matter for weight loss, all that matters is CICO. Why some people are in denial regarding this I don't know...

Now, I consider myself a low-carber. For the past couple of weeks I've been eating consistently less than 50g of carbs per day but the only reason I do this, and found it through experimentation, is that most carbs (except maybe rice) don't satiate my hunger as much as protein and fat does. For me this is great because eating a couple of chicken breasts with a salad keep me full for longer than eating a plate of ravioli, so I'm less prone to overeating and binging. Now, I still eat under my TDEE, because CICO is the important thing for loosing weight, the high protein/low carb for me is just another tool to keep my hunger under control.

With that being said, I don't believe this helps an emotional eater for instance, because they eat not because they are hungry really but because they are stressed, depressed, etc... or maybe there is people were their bodies are used function different to mine and find a high-carb/lowish-protein meal more satiating, I don't know.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

bleurghh

Some people eat butter, too.

Then again, some people eat horses, bugs, frogs and snails, so I don't judge. I'll stick to using the cream in my coffee and chocolate mousse and the butter on my eggs.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb (keto) and believe in cico. If I eat more than I should, I gain..just like everyone else.

Keto works better for me than calorie counting alone because I have reactive hypoglycemia.

;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

bleurghh

Then again, some people eat horses, bugs, frogs and snails, so I don't judge. I'll stick to using the cream in my coffee and chocolate mousse and the butter on my eggs.

do you mean like just butter .. or butter melted into hot toast .. because I know which one I could cope with
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

bleurghh

do you mean like just butter .. or butter melted into hot toast .. because I know which one I could cope with

yes, there are people who EAT BUTTER.

i love me some butter, but please put it on or in something LOLOL

I think for MOST people (barring diabetes or other health concern) a normal diet, with the normal rec. amount of carbs is fine. of course CICO matters, some people (not all just some) are just... in denial? or maybe they are (coincidentally) eating at their number without meaning to.

cant be concerned too much about what other people are doing, i have my own fat to worry about LOLOLOL
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

bleurghh

Just butter. It comes up one of two ways. Often, new people get obsessed with hitting their exact macros. It takes them a while to learn that it's carbs as an upper limit, protein as a definite goal, and fat to satiety. They come in thinking they must eat all 140g or whatever of fat every day, and will do whatever they can to do it. If they've already had their carbs, and don't know about fat bombs, options seem limited.

Others are people who end up with a huge deficit (MFP yells at you kind of deficit) at the end of the day and need something quick to add another 500 calories or so.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The low-carb people that do not believe in cico usually argue that insulin is the fat storing hormone and that it gives you a metabolic advantage because the body is used to burning fat instead of carbs. A lot of low carbers disagree that cico do not matter.

The "moderate" low carbers usually agree that the main advantage is reduce hunger.