Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I love their products. Use the different types of salad dressing. Their peanut butter "flavored" speads, etc. Sure they dont taste that good but they serve their purpose...

What purpose is a salad dressing serving if it doesn't taste good?

Delivery system for vegetables for me. Just something to make em go down a little easier. Yesterday I did red wine vinegar and then just a tiny dollop of mayo so that could be an option. I'd just like to not worry about tracking this particular item, and ideally (which probably won't happen at this point), even use liberal quantities of the stuff and not break the calorie bank

No, you can call it "low calorie" if it has less than 40 calories in 2 tablespoons or 30grams.

You can only say no calories if it has less than 5 calories in a "typical serving" <- and that's hilarious because I know people who get excited and in no way use a typical serving. Specifically thinking of spray butter and non-stick spray. Only no calorie because the serving size is so small, but then everyone goes crazy because "no calories".

Whew! Thanks for clarifying low calorie vs no calorie for me. We're back to the calories in a stick of gum. Works for me! (If the mayo I bought doesn't come back up first, that is)

Reminds me I need to buy new I can't believe it's not butter "zero calorie" spray :laugh: I do try to use short sprays, but honestly I try to get a good coating over my broccoli florets.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Ever think of just using less dressing?

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?

How many mL's is 45g of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar?

Why are some liquids measured by volume and others by weight but both say tablespoon is the serving?

If it's a freely pouring liquid like milk that will sit level in a tablespoon, for example, you're likely to find only the volume measurement. The sticky stuff that can be heaped onto a tablespoon will have the weight measurement for a serving
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Check your tastebud privilege, ma'am. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a sense of taste would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you flavorcentrics are enjoying life without ever knowing the pain of tastelessness! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?
    my son has a best friend who cant taste or smell, his brothers (4 of them) have limited taste abilities. which means they cant taste most things unless its really sweet or strong. they were born that way. I guess it was a genetic defect because neither parent is like that

I have this too. Not born with it, though. I can tell if something is super sweet, but not what flavor it is. Doesn't keep me from having a Cadbury Creme Egg binge, though. How sick is that?

The more serious problem is that I can't smell smoke or a gas leak or spoiled food. I should work in a morgue.

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    It is not made from digestible elements. Our bodies cannot process certain things and they go right through. It is not food, kinda like eating plastic. The caramel sauce is really tasty on arctic zero ice cream though. I crumble up half of a fiber one brownie, half a pint of arctic zero and some walden's caramel sauce and it is 120 cal sundae time.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    It is not made from digestible elements. Our bodies cannot process certain things and they go right through. It is not food, kinda like eating plastic. The caramel sauce is really tasty on arctic zero ice cream though. I crumble up half of a fiber one brownie, half a pint of arctic zero and some walden's caramel sauce and it is 120 cal sundae time.

Wut?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Check your tastebud privilege, ma'am. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a sense of taste would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you flavorcentrics are enjoying life without ever knowing the pain of tastelessness! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?
    my son has a best friend who cant taste or smell, his brothers (4 of them) have limited taste abilities. which means they cant taste most things unless its really sweet or strong. they were born that way. I guess it was a genetic defect because neither parent is like that

Dammit. Now I feel like *kitten*. Is there, like, a foundation where I can make a donation or something?
    honestly I dont know. no worries and no need to feel bad they dont. they have made bets with people like who can eat the hottest chili pepper,things like that and of course they win because they dont feel the hotness either.like they said there are some perks to not being able to smell or taste

Nope, the hotness still comes through. Peppers still burn the tongue and wasabi still burns the nose hairs.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Wut?

Walden Farms Caramel over Arctic Zero.

The saddest little sundae that ever was.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

1. Source?
    2. I just started crying at my desk.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Wut?

As my friends from Lazy Sunday would say...

snl-narnia-rap-google.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »

Dammit. Now I feel like *kitten*. Is there, like, a foundation where I can make a donation or something?
    honestly I dont know. no worries and no need to feel bad they dont. they have made bets with people like who can eat the hottest chili pepper,things like that and of course they win because they dont feel the hotness either.like they said there are some perks to not being able to smell or taste

But I bet they feel the burning at the other end...
    honestly I dont know never asked lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Plus I bet they enjoy Walden Farms products, no problem!
    nope as far as I know they dont eat things like that lol.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Something inside me just died.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Something inside me just died.

Quick! Sell it to Walden Farms for use in their caramel elixir!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Wut?

tumblr_lsbj1i8KN41r2plcpo1_500.gif
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Fair enough, I was confusing your post and another that specifically said it didn't taste good but "did the job" what job that is I can't fathom.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Also calories are not inherently bad. I can make a super low calorie dressing that tastes perfectly good with vinegar and mustard already, but adding olive oil can make it taste even better and contribute to a healthy diet.

I'd even go so far as to say calories are inherently good. The fundamental thing that we need from food is energy, aka calories. Calories are what keep us alive. It's excess calories that are the problem :)

This is true.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Ew. Read the ingredients. Eat real food.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Won't you think of the freaking gelato!!!!! It was put on this earth to be consumed!!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've found their jams and jellies to be at least tolerable. Not great but I can spread them on a piece of flatbread for a little flavor. The peanut spread was absolutely awful. Worse than I imagined. The smell made me think I was eating a nutella scented candle.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Ever think of just using less dressing?

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?

wBbuqG5.png