Lets talk about Walden Farms

Options

Replies

• Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    12 Tbsp. I know, its supposed to be a salad not a bowl of cereal.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    12 Tablespoons of dressing? You're no longer consuming 0 calories.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This might be a dumb suggestion, but have you tried putting your salad in a container & shaking it? I find that I use more dressing (especially thicker varieties like Ranch) when I just pour it over a salad, but I can get away with much less if I'm able to shake it around and distribute it more evenly.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options
    12 Tablespoons of dressing? You're no longer consuming 0 calories.
    I had a feeling this was to good to be true so I thought I'd ask.

Do you think 5 calories per tbls is more accurate?

I poured as much as I wanted from the bottle, I used about half of it. 6 ounces = 12 tbls

The portion might seem absurd. Before logging I would use ranch/ketchup some condiment on most food. Every bite dipped/coated in sauce. Condiments are delicious.

• Eddie__Jones
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    This might be a dumb suggestion, but have you tried putting your salad in a container & shaking it? I find that I use more dressing (especially thicker varieties like Ranch) when I just pour it over a salad, but I can get away with much less if I'm able to shake it around and distribute it more evenly.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try it.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Not dumb at all. I do this all the time, and only use about 1T of vinaigrette for a huge salad. (Even then, there is always a puddle left over once the lettuce is gone.)

The key is getting the flavor in there. It shouldn't take drowning your salad to get it!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Not dumb at all. I do this all the time, and only use about 1T of vinaigrette for a huge salad. (Even then, there is always a puddle left over once the lettuce is gone.)

The key is getting the flavor in there. It shouldn't take drowning your salad to get it!

But then again, you are not using Walden Farms products. :p
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

Touche.

I either make my own dressing or use original Paul Newman's Olive oil and Vinegar. Everything else is too sweet. I don't want candied salad.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

Touche.

I either make my own dressing or use original Paul Newman's Olive oil and Vinegar. Everything else is too sweet. I don't want candied salad.

I love balsamic vinegar, horseradish mustard and oil. Mmm.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »

Well how did it taste to you?

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

That's key. I make my salad in a giant tupperware bowl with a lid and just vigorously shake it for a while. There's always residue on the sides when I'm done.
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Ever think of just using less dressing?

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?

wBbuqG5.png

@eazy__ - That's pretty crazy, man. I've gotta give you props as that is a just a ridiculous amount of lettuce. How often do you eat that? Is it basically an entire head of lettuce?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Also is it one meal, or essentially a recipe created for multiple meals?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Check your tastebud privilege, ma'am. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a sense of taste would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you flavorcentrics are enjoying life without ever knowing the pain of tastelessness! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?
    my son has a best friend who cant taste or smell, his brothers (4 of them) have limited taste abilities. which means they cant taste most things unless its really sweet or strong. they were born that way. I guess it was a genetic defect because neither parent is like that

Dammit. Now I feel like *kitten*. Is there, like, a foundation where I can make a donation or something?

LOL!!!

My stepfather has had no sense of either taste or smell for the past 30 years due to the removal of a brain tumor. He is very fat.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    The only one I ever tried (by accident) was the jam. I couldn't get it to spread or stay on the toast. I binned it.

Bin it. Safest decision possible, lol.

• Eddie__Jones
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well how did it taste to you?
    I like it. I liked it so much, I went and got the blue cheese. It's good as well. Dipped wings in it the other day.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options

That's key. I make my salad in a giant tupperware bowl with a lid and just vigorously shake it for a while. There's always residue on the sides when I'm done.
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Ever think of just using less dressing?

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?

wBbuqG5.png

@eazy__ - That's pretty crazy, man. I've gotta give you props as that is a just a ridiculous amount of lettuce. How often do you eat that? Is it basically an entire head of lettuce?

It's about 3/4 of a head. I eat that most days. On days where i don't have salad, I eat 16 ounces of boiled cabbage. I usually eat one meal per day. 10-16 ounces of a grilled meat with either salad or cabbage.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Options
    just one meal
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    just one meal

You ARE the salad master!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Are these products really zero calorie? I'm not concerned with taste.

This might be of interest:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/37-i-cant-believe-its-got-calories

"The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray has ZERO calories if you use just a few spritzes. However, if you do what most of us do and spray to your heart's content, you can rack up calories and fat grams pretty quickly. Here's the scoop: 12.5 sprays is 10 calories and 1 gram of fat, 25 sprays (1 teaspoon) is 20 calories and 2 grams of fat, and 37.5 sprays is 30 calories and 3 grams of fat. In case you're curious, the entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat! Helpful hint: When it comes to this stuff, stick with spraying as opposed to pouring."

• ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I recently tried the walden farms chocolate syrup- I was pleasantly surprised- thought it was pretty good! I have previously tried the peanut spread and a salad dressing and thought those were both completely awful.