Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    What are you calling "requirements"? The CDC says men should get 56g of protein a day
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

I think if you talk to most people that lift weights or train people that lift they will recommend more protein. I would suggest that eating protein with the "extra" calories would make you healthier than filling in the calories with Ding Dongs, Cheetos, etc.

You're making the assumption that macro and micro goals aren't met first, but that isn't what's being advocated. What is being said is once your macro and micro goals are met then eat ice cream, Oreos, etc.

Edited to fix quotes as best I can.

Say you meet your macro and micro goals daily and have 500 calories "left over". If you go to a nutrition expert and ask them the best way to fill in the additional calories do you think they will say Ding Dongs, ice cream, etc on a daily basis. Or do you think they will say eat a bit more of the nutritionally dense foods you are eating and occasionally have a treat?

It's already been said, but you don't get extra credit in nutrition. You can end up with really expensive pee, though.

I can't imagine trying to choke down 500 or more calories of broccoli instead of some ice cream or cookies after macros and micros are met, so I don't. And, mind-blowingly, sometimes I use donuts or ice cream to hit my fat macro if that's what I'm low on for the day.

Not according to this peer reviewed article on WedMD. Article is specifically talking about gaining weight, but it is telling you how to "fill in" to get to your calorie goal:

Calories Count, But So Do Nutrients

Focus on healthy foods to gain weight, because even though you have more leeway with calories, good nutrition still rules.

"Weight gain requires eating calorie-rich but also nutrient-rich foods -- not just high-calorie foods with lots of fat, sugar, or empty calories," says Alice Bender, RD, nutrition communications manager for the American Institute for Cancer Research.

The goal is to choose foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and calories so each bite is loaded with good nutrition.

"Start with nutritious foods and then wherever you can, enrich the foods with additional ingredients like yogurt, fruit, nuts, and healthy fats," Escott-Stump says.

Complete article:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/how-to-gain-weight

Again, an occasional few cookies, etc is fine, you shouldn't be using calorie dense nutrient light foods to fill a surplus calorie need after getting your macros.

Filling surplus calories with nutritionally poor foods on a regular basis may not impact you weight, but can have negative impacts on blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

"Not just" indicates that they are not advocating those who are trying to gain weight to eat solely those things, but instead focus on... wait, you guessed it... hitting their macro and micro goals for the day and then eating whatever. I'm sure it's very easy to be tempted to hear the words "bulk" or "gaining weight" and assume you can eat whatever you want, but this RD is saying no, eat your fruits and vegetables, too.

I'm not sure how this is saying anything different and in seriousness, have you ever done enough exercise where you end up with 1,000+ extra calories and tried to fill that with micro-nutrient dense foods? This is how we get the people who cannot eat 1,200 calories asking what they should do because you feel full.

You are not getting the part below. Note the article talks specifically about gaining weight. It is the same thing you want to do when you have excess calories after you meet your macro/micro goals. You should be focusing on nutrient rich foods most of the time if you have "surplus" calories. Does that say you can't have cookies, of course not. Just maybe fruit and yogurt for example to get you extra calories 80% of the time and cookies, cake, etc the other 20%.

Isn't that exactly what we've been saying all along? That most of the calories would come from highly nutritious foods and some of them can come from less nutritious foods?

See? There is barely any difference between your approach and mine. The only difference is in the mindset. While I do try to focus on nutritious foods (80% of that time as you would call it) I don't feel the other 20% is necessarily bad. .

I have gotten the idea from many of these posts that people are saying once you hit your macro/micro requirements you're good to fill any remaining calories with less nutrient dense foods i.e, crap exclusively. I say, and I think most nutrition authorities would tell you, the "extra" calories should come mostly (80/20, 75/25 whatever) from nutrient dense foods and the reminder from whatever. This does not have to be on a daily basis, but should be the case long term.

What you fill your macro/micro requirements with already comes from nutrient dense foods. If the rest was made up of 80% nutrient dense food, you'd be at 96% nutrient dense food.

And that would be a good thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are you calling "requirements"? The CDC says men should get 56g of protein a day

I think if you talk to most people that lift weights or train people that lift they will recommend more protein. I would suggest that eating protein with the "extra" calories would make you healthier than filling in the calories with Ding Dongs, Cheetos, etc.

You're making the assumption that macro and micro goals aren't met first, but that isn't what's being advocated. What is being said is once your macro and micro goals are met then eat ice cream, Oreos, etc.

Say you meet your macro and micro goals daily and have 500 calories "left over". If you go to a nutrition expert and ask them the best way to fill in the additional calories do you think they will say Ding Dongs, ice cream, etc on a daily basis. Or do you think they will say eat a bit more of the nutritionally dense foods you are eating and occasionally have a treat?

It's already been said, but you don't get extra credit in nutrition. You can end up with really expensive pee, though.

I can't imagine trying to choke down 500 or more calories of broccoli instead of some ice cream or cookies after macros and micros are met, so I don't. And, mind-blowingly, sometimes I use donuts or ice cream to hit my fat macro if that's what I'm low on for the day.

Not according to this peer reviewed article on WedMD. Article is specifically talking about gaining weight, but it is telling you how to "fill in" to get to your calorie goal:

Focus on healthy foods to gain weight, because even though you have more leeway with calories, good nutrition still rules.

"Weight gain requires eating calorie-rich but also nutrient-rich foods -- not just high-calorie foods with lots of fat, sugar, or empty calories," says Alice Bender, RD, nutrition communications manager for the American Institute for Cancer Research.

The goal is to choose foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and calories so each bite is loaded with good nutrition.

"Start with nutritious foods and then wherever you can, enrich the foods with additional ingredients like yogurt, fruit, nuts, and healthy fats," Escott-Stump says.

Complete article:

Again, an occasional few cookies, etc is fine, you shouldn't be using calorie dense nutrient light foods to fill a surplus calorie need after getting your macros.

Filling surplus calories with nutritionally poor foods on a regular basis may not impact you weight, but can have negative impacts on blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

"Not just" indicates that they are not advocating those who are trying to gain weight to eat solely those things, but instead focus on... wait, you guessed it... hitting their macro and micro goals for the day and then eating whatever. I'm sure it's very easy to be tempted to hear the words "bulk" or "gaining weight" and assume you can eat whatever you want, but this RD is saying no, eat your fruits and vegetables, too.

I'm not sure how this is saying anything different and in seriousness, have you ever done enough exercise where you end up with 1,000+ extra calories and tried to fill that with micro-nutrient dense foods? This is how we get the people who cannot eat 1,200 calories asking what they should do because you feel full.

You are not getting the part below. Note the article talks specifically about gaining weight. It is the same thing you want to do when you have excess calories after you meet your macro/micro goals. You should be focusing on nutrient rich foods most of the time if you have "surplus" calories. Does that say you can't have cookies, of course not. Just maybe fruit and yogurt for example to get you extra calories 80% of the time and cookies, cake, etc the other 20%.

Isn't that exactly what we've been saying all along? That most of the calories would come from highly nutritious foods and some of them can come from less nutritious foods?

See? There is barely any difference between your approach and mine. The only difference is in the mindset. While I do try to focus on nutritious foods (80% of that time as you would call it) I don't feel the other 20% is necessarily bad. .

I have gotten the idea from many of these posts that people are saying once you hit your macro/micro requirements you're good to fill any remaining calories with less nutrient dense foods i.e, crap exclusively. I say, and I think most nutrition authorities would tell you, the "extra" calories should come mostly (80/20, 75/25 whatever) from nutrient dense foods and the reminder from whatever. This does not have to be on a daily basis, but should be the case long term.

What you fill your macro/micro requirements with already comes from nutrient dense foods. If the rest was made up of 80% nutrient dense food, you'd be at 96% nutrient dense food.

Care to open your diary so we can confirm that you eat 96% nutrient dense foods, and also understand what counts as "nutrient dense"?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Complete article:

Care to open your diary so we can confirm that you eat 96% nutrient dense foods, and also understand what counts as "nutrient dense"?

I would like to see this too.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    @Packerjohn instead of avoiding the question why don't you scroll back and answer the question you were asked about your claims on cholesterol and blood pressure?

Nice article on foods contrubuting to high cholesterol:
    http://www.healthy-eating-and-nutrition.com/high-cholesterol-foods.html

Same on foods contributing to high blood pressure:
    http://www.minusbloodpressure.com/hypertension-diet/foods-that-causes-high-blood-pressure-5-major-foods-to-avoid/

You'll note many of these are considered "junk food"
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Complete article:

And now we're back to 'you don't get extra credit for going over your daily nutritional requirements'.

qrakdta0gzqi.gif
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, if we are including eggs, I guess I eat a lot more junk food than I knew. Weird that my cholesterol is great and I've never had high blood pressure.

Oh, right, most people don't respond to dietary cholesterol.

Also, even setting aside the controversy over the saturated fat issue, DOSE is a key part of it, even for those who warn against it.
  • HannaC616
    Options
    I prefer calling it what it is. Not going to be a popular opinion, but most of us are here to lose weight, not sugar-coat things. Some food is straight-up bad for you, and you feeling less bad about eating it isn't going to help you at all.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    That's the point--on what evidence is it bad for you, if not eaten in excess and as part of an overall balanced diet? People keep asserting that, but no one so far has come up with evidence. Why is a scoop of gelato or a slice of my homemade apple pie bad for me? Why was the donut I ate during my last century ride bad for me?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    HannaC616 wrote: »
    I prefer calling it what it is. Not going to be a popular opinion, but most of us are here to lose weight, not sugar-coat things. Some food is straight-up bad for you, and you feeling less bad about eating it isn't going to help you at all.

You understand that all of us that are saying there is no such thing as bad food are either losing or have lost their excess weight just fine, right??

But please, explain what these bad foods are, and how it is that they are bad for you, taking context and dose into account (ie, if you are meeting your nutritional requirements).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Regardless of how you refer to your food it's either clean and healthy or it isn't. We all eat from both sides. Kind of a silly post IMO.

Exactly. The only difference is that one group enjoys every bite of it guilt free while people in the other group feel like they are "eating crap".

If it's guilt free, why get so upset when someone else uses a word like bad or junk? The whole thing, between both threads, seems like a Twitter brigade having a hissy because someone said Harry Styles is ugly.

I think at least some of them get upset because they know the foods really aren't healthy. And instead of just admitting that and deciding to ignore the risk and enjoy it or only have it once in a while to minimize the risk, they want to pretend junk is not junk. Other people pointing out that certain foods are actually unhealthy makes it harder for them to do that.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the definition of insanity?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Regardless of how you refer to your food it's either clean and healthy or it isn't. We all eat from both sides. Kind of a silly post IMO.

Exactly. The only difference is that one group enjoys every bite of it guilt free while people in the other group feel like they are "eating crap".

If it's guilt free, why get so upset when someone else uses a word like bad or junk? The whole thing, between both threads, seems like a Twitter brigade having a hissy because someone said Harry Styles is ugly.

I think at least some of them get upset because they know the foods really aren't healthy. And instead of just admitting that and deciding to ignore the risk and enjoy it or only have it once in a while to minimize the risk, they want to pretend junk is not junk. Other people pointing out that certain foods are actually unhealthy makes it harder for them to do that.

Um, no.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Can we just call it food and leave the value statements out of it?

giphy.gif

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    i love term good food and bad food, or maybe I just love the fact it causes so much irrational frustration. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Complete article:

Go for it. It should be open. Please note in none of posts I said I never ate crap food. I'm just calling it as it is IMO.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

laughter.gif