Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh no....agggh...now we have a "kinder gentler" food naming convention. Eeeks, forbid we offend someone with the words good or bad. Too funny.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    20130809-101826.jpg?w=665
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    bumping to continue the discussion

Yes! More "what should we call our food" debate. It's such an important discussion.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the thread title was a joke. (I think the "more ideal" thing was an obvious tipoff.)

The discussion here and in the "bad" food thread (which I can't find, was it deleted?) seem to me to be about a more significant question--how do we create a nutritious diet.

Is it by labeling foods "bad" and "good" and eating only the "good" ones (and beating ourselves up if we eat "bad" ones)? Or is it by actually thinking about what should be included in a healthy diet and eating those things in a sensible amount depending on what they are (plus other foods we enjoy that fit).

I vote for the latter.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes! More "what should we call our food" debate. It's such an important discussion.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the thread title was a joke. (I think the "more ideal" thing was an obvious tipoff.)

The discussion here and in the "bad" food thread (which I can't find, was it deleted?) seem to me to be about a more significant question--how do we create a nutritious diet.

Is it by labeling foods "bad" and "good" and eating only the "good" ones (and beating ourselves up if we eat "bad" ones)? Or is it by actually thinking about what should be included in a healthy diet and eating those things in a sensible amount depending on what they are (plus other foods we enjoy that fit).

I vote for the latter.
    that's a bingo.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I vote for the latter.

Yeah, I got it was a joke. My post was also in jest.

I would vote for a world where everyone is free to call food what they want, without their motives being questioned or derogated.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Expressing an opinion on what someone else says is as essential a part of freedom of speech as the original statement.

Not that freedom of speech applies here, of course, but I never get the argument that it's wrong to comment on what others say, which is what you seem to be arguing. If I think it's dumb to call white rice a "bad" food, why shouldn't I be able to say that, just as others can say white rice is "bad" if that floats their boat. (Of course, it's weird it does.)
  • _John_
    edited March 2015
    Options

I vote for the latter.

I would vote for a world where everyone is free to call food what they want, without their motives being questioned or derogated.

I would be fine with that if there wasn't this hierarchy of what is "crap" or bad food to people that I've seen get expressed almost as gospel.

I've seen it get it up to all these:
    any dairy
    any animal products
    cooked vegetables
    legumes

and EVERY one of those has a lot to offer besides calories (contrary to the aforementioned Oreo in the other thread).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Expressing an opinion on what someone else says is as essential a part of freedom of speech as the original statement.

Not that freedom of speech applies here, of course, but I never get the argument that it's wrong to comment on what others say, which is what you seem to be arguing. If I think it's dumb to call white rice a "bad" food, why shouldn't I be able to say that, just as others can say white rice is "bad" if that floats their boat. (Of course, it's weird it does.)

You are able to say that, of course. Feel free.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I've changed my behavior in the past based on risks I'm sufficiently convinced about--it's why I don't eat trans fats or much fried food (not saying anyone should come to the same conclusions I have, and the fried thing has as much to do with calories).

Are you saying foods high in trans fats are bad?

Answered fully in the other thread (following me taking a moment to sort out my thoughts). If you didn't read it and want me to answer here (assuming I'm not the only one unable to find that thread), let me know.

On the other hand, if you replied to my response, I'm interested.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I vote for the latter.

I would be fine with that if there wasn't this hierarchy of what is "crap" or bad food to people that I've seen get expressed almost as gospel.

I've seen it get it up to all these:
    any dairy
    any animal products
    cooked vegetables
    legumes

and EVERY one of those has a lot to offer besides calories (contrary to the aforementioned Oreo in the other thread).

I agree. All have their attributes. That would not change my vote.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how about ..

"bad dietary choices"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Can we just call it food and leave the value statements out of it?

nope, food is inherently good or evil ...its kind of like GI Joe VS Cobra
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how about ..

"bad dietary choices"

good effort.

• _John_
    Options
    I prefer "foods that will let me eat ice cream at the end of the day", vs. "foods that will have me eating raw kale or protein isolate".
  • fitnesia
    fitnesia Posts: 21
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    I prefer "yummy" and "more yummy" to be honest.

So do I.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I prefer "foods I want to eat" vs "foods you think I should want to eat".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I've changed my behavior in the past based on risks I'm sufficiently convinced about--it's why I don't eat trans fats or much fried food (not saying anyone should come to the same conclusions I have, and the fried thing has as much to do with calories).

Are you saying foods high in trans fats are bad?

Answered fully in the other thread (following me taking a moment to sort out my thoughts). If you didn't read it and want me to answer here (assuming I'm not the only one unable to find that thread), let me know.

On the other hand, if you replied to my response, I'm interested.

that thread got nuked....

so I guess we are all moving over here..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hopefully, we can all agree that anything substituted with cauliflower is "bad"...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    hopefully, we can all agree that anything substituted with cauliflower is "bad"...

No chance. I love cauliflower.
  • _John_
    Options

I have cauliflower broccoli from time to time though...