Alternative to weight training for muscle maintenance?

Options

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Lol. Yea okay. You keep telling yourself that. And to say that yoga is weight training that's just absurd.

Ha ha ha – I must say, that's a typical comment from someone whose knowledge of yoga is limited to some imagined stereotype of ladies lying on the floor or chanting 'ohm'. (:-)

Ashtanga yoga is similar in ways to calisthenics or gymnastics training – it builds core strength, functional strength and power using the bodyweight as resistance, and this is an example of the kind of physique it can build when one has worked up to the advanced poses:

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

(These photos aren't of me, obviously, that is Kino MacGregor.)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lol. Yea okay. You keep telling yourself that. And to say that yoga is weight training that's just absurd.

Ha ha ha – I must say, that's a typical comment from someone whose knowledge of yoga is limited to some imagined stereotype of ladies lying on the floor or chanting 'ohm'. (:-)

Ashtanga yoga is similar in ways to calisthenics or gymnastics training – it builds core strength, functional strength and power using the bodyweight as resistance, and this is an example of the kind of physique it can build when one has worked up to the advanced poses:

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

I am not saying that is not difficult..but that does not make it the same as lifting progressively heavier things. Your body weight is your body weight and once you adjust to putting it in different poses you have maxed out any benefit that you were getting.

In a progressive lifting routine you can continually add weight so, in essence, you never max out...

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

I am not saying that is not difficult..but that does not make it the same as lifting progressively heavier things. Your body weight is your body weight and once you adjust to putting it in different poses you have maxed out any benefit that you were getting.

In a progressive lifting routine you can continually add weight so, in essence, you never max out...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22240547

It's not a direct comparison to yoga, but is to body weight training - compared to progressive weight training.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

That's where goals come in play. For some people they just want to be strong enough to do certain things (advanced poses in this case - which takes years), others are happy to maintain their current muscle mass while others just want to look good. Even progressive lifting hits a wall after a long while because the human body has physical limits. Granted it's does build much more lifting strength than body weight training (which builds greater functional strength and balance), but lifting strength is not everyone's goal and that's alright.
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's cute because you're assuming I don't do yoga.

Yes, I am assuming you don't do yoga. Not ashtanga yoga, anyway. Am I wrong? (:-)

You never max out in ashtanga yoga because the poses increase in difficulty (there are seven series in total; most people never master the first series), so for example the angles at which you're supporting your body weight can make it more/less difficult. Plus, the length of time you hold each pose increases. (Theoretically one could also increase the number of repetitions although this isn't strictly part of the formal Ashtanga practice.)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

That's where goals come in play. For some people they just want to be strong enough to do certain things (advanced poses in this case - which takes years), others are happy to maintain their current muscle mass while others just want to look good. Even progressive lifting hits a wall after a long while because the human body has physical limits. Granted it's does build much more lifting strength than body weight training (which builds greater functional strength and balance), but lifting strength is not everyone's goal and that's alright.

you kind of just moved the goal posts.

You tried to say that yoga = progressive overload, and now you are saying it depends on goals..

I agree that it depends on goals..

but you will have a hard time convincing me that yoga = progressive lifting...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

You tried to say that yoga = progressive overload, and now you are saying it depends on goals..

That's not really what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that there are different ways to preserve and strengthen muscles with progressive muscle adaptation. The way a person chooses depends on their goals. Yoga is not lifting, no. I never said that. What I said is that some kinds of yoga can be a strength and resistance exercise. Strength training is not limited to conventional weight lifting.
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So what you are saying is that if some doesn't do Ashtanga yoga then the yoga they do does not count because the yoga they are doing doesn't count?

Uh... no, what I said was that I assumed you didn't practice Ashtanga yoga; my assumption was based on the fact that you are apparently unaware that it is a vigourous practice that builds strength and incorporates a form of progressive resistance training.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

mf7320v7u5c5.jpg

2b8akf82hwok.jpg

That's not really what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that there are different ways to preserve and strengthen muscles with progressive muscle adaptation. The way a person chooses depends on their goals. Yoga is not lifting, no. I never said that. What I said is that some kinds of yoga can be a strength and resistance exercise. Strength training is not limited to conventional weight lifting.

I believe you said it's progressive resistance training, which implies that there is an increase in "resistance". I don't do yoga because it hurts my body, but I have no doubt it has many benefits. It just doesn't seem to fit into progressive resistance training because there is no increase in body weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    So what you are saying is that if some doesn't do Ashtanga yoga then the yoga they do does not count because the yoga they are doing doesn't count?

Uh... no, what I said was that I assumed you didn't practice Ashtanga yoga; my assumption was based on the fact that you are apparently unaware that it is a vigourous practice that builds strength and incorporates a form of progressive resistance training.

How can it provide progressive resistance training with no weight being added?

I wonder if it's more of an endurance exercise?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Leverage I guess. A worse lever leads to more power being required to lift the same amount of weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Leverage I guess. A worse lever leads to more power being required to lift the same amount of weight.

huh?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

huh?

I don't know anything about yoga but with push-ups, for example, you gradually raise your feet at an angle until you're doing handstand push-ups.

Idk that it would be enough to build new muscle (not saying it isn't, I just don't know) but that's how programs like You Are Your Own Gym create progressive overload.
  • SLLRunner
    edited March 2015
    Options

huh?

I don't know anything about yoga but with push-ups, for example, you gradually raise your feet at an angle until you're doing handstand push-ups.

Idk that it would be enough to build new muscle (not saying it isn't, I just don't know) but that's how programs like You Are Your Own Gym create progressive overload.

Very interesting. Thank you.

Doesn't You Are Your Own Gym have resistance training using household items for weight lifting?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

huh?

BEHOLD MY PAINT SKILLS

Ga4R7U7.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

huh?

Very interesting. Thank you.

Doesn't You Are Your Own Gym have resistance training using household items for weight lifting?

Maybe, I'm not sure.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

huh?

BEHOLD MY PAINT SKILLS

Ga4R7U7.png

Ah., this is adorable. :D

Do tell, what is that stick-person doing?