Pushy Co-Workers

Options
123457»

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Be a team player here. Just making the effort speaks louder of your integrity rather than opposing. It's one meal not a commitment to eating that way forever.
    We always have potlucks at my office gym and people bring food that's considered "unhealthy" by many standards. Some eat it, some don't. But they at least show up and don't mock the others for doing so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's not just about the healthy value of the food - as I stated earlier, a lot of the menu options they're giving make me feel very ill. And my boss is not accommodating.

You don't have to order one that will make you feel ill. You can, as your boss suggested, order the salad. I get that it isn't exciting, but one lunch isn't really going to make you die of boredom.

I don't think objecting to being told what to put in my body is being overly difficult.

But if that's the consensus of the majority, then I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up.

I'll be honest, you sound like you're being a really high-maintenance PITA and I would be so annoyed if I were your boss. I don't think you should take it to HR. I don't think you should insist on doing your own thing.

I think you should order the least offensive thing possible, eat as much or as little as you can manage, have a good time, and add healthy snacks before and after if you need to. Once in a while, our work requirements extend past being at our desk from 9-5. Get used to it, and be a team player.

Frankly, I'm surprised at you and disappointed in how many people I see here suggesting you should be difficult about this.

I should probably clarify that's it's not just an issue of me being picky with my food. I have food allergies (that my work knows of) and I'm always wary of eating food that has been prepared by a chain restaurant.

It's a non-issue now anyway though, we've just been told that there are only two menu options, neither of which I can order due to allergies. So I'm off the hook I guess lol.

But thanks to everyone for the input!

If they are only offering 2 options, which both affect your food allergies then you're definitely off the hook. We handle food allergies for our people and take that stuff seriously. So at our events, they will bring out a separate plate for the 2-3 people that have issues. We do not have anyone, not even people with extremely severe Crohn's disease, who refuses to eat what we provide at any event. Ever.

I have extremely severe Crohn's disease and will absolutely refuse to eat something that I know could potentially cause me to end up in the ER.

As well you should. And yet we manage to provide options that everyone is ok with. It's conversation and not a battle. And at the end of said conversation - everyone ends up eating together and having a good time. No one ends up in the hospital, and no one childishly dumps a plate of food into the trash to spite their boss.

My point is that it is totally possible to make this work and your refusal to make it work is entirely on you.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    It's funny though, because to me it feels more alienating that they're actively choosing to make people who eat differently uncomfortable.

The only person who can make you feel that way ... is you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Be a team player here. Just making the effort speaks louder of your integrity rather than opposing. It's one meal not a commitment to eating that way forever.
    We always have potlucks at my office gym and people bring food that's considered "unhealthy" by many standards. Some eat it, some don't. But they at least show up and don't mock the others for doing so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not just about the healthy value of the food - as I stated earlier, a lot of the menu options they're giving make me feel very ill. And my boss is not accommodating.

You don't have to order one that will make you feel ill. You can, as your boss suggested, order the salad. I get that it isn't exciting, but one lunch isn't really going to make you die of boredom.

I don't think objecting to being told what to put in my body is being overly difficult.

But if that's the consensus of the majority, then I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up.

I'll be honest, you sound like you're being a really high-maintenance PITA and I would be so annoyed if I were your boss. I don't think you should take it to HR. I don't think you should insist on doing your own thing.

I think you should order the least offensive thing possible, eat as much or as little as you can manage, have a good time, and add healthy snacks before and after if you need to. Once in a while, our work requirements extend past being at our desk from 9-5. Get used to it, and be a team player.

Frankly, I'm surprised at you and disappointed in how many people I see here suggesting you should be difficult about this.

I should probably clarify that's it's not just an issue of me being picky with my food. I have food allergies (that my work knows of) and I'm always wary of eating food that has been prepared by a chain restaurant.

It's a non-issue now anyway though, we've just been told that there are only two menu options, neither of which I can order due to allergies. So I'm off the hook I guess lol.

If they are only offering 2 options, which both affect your food allergies then you're definitely off the hook. We handle food allergies for our people and take that stuff seriously. So at our events, they will bring out a separate plate for the 2-3 people that have issues. We do not have anyone, not even people with extremely severe Crohn's disease, who refuses to eat what we provide at any event. Ever.

I have extremely severe Crohn's disease and will absolutely refuse to eat something that I know could potentially cause me to end up in the ER.

As well you should. And yet we manage to provide options that everyone is ok with. It's conversation and not a battle. And at the end of said conversation - everyone ends up eating together and having a good time. No one ends up in the hospital, and no one childishly dumps a plate of food into the trash to spite their boss.

My point is that it is totally possible to make this work and your refusal to make it work is entirely on you.

OP can bring food that she knows is safe for her, eat it with everyone, and still have a good time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The only thing that is childish is her boss forcing her to eat food she doesn't want to/can't eat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OP can bring food that she knows is safe for her, eat it with everyone, and still have a good time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The only thing that is childish is her boss forcing her to eat food she doesn't want to/can't eat.

Which, by the way, isn't happening. OP has updated, she is bringing her lunch to the event.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Which, by the way, isn't happening. OP has updated, she is bringing her lunch to the event.

As she should.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just order the food, then let it sit in front of you, pick at it, then take it back to your desk/office and toss it. Eat your lunch you brought. I have to that a lot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Did someone actually say that we sometimes have to eat a "shi( sandwich" YOU MAY but I don't and wont'

Social situations at work the restaurants chosen, the food at pot lucks etc are operating from an antiquated systems...be brave enough to help that system fall to the way side. The majority of office workers are obese for a reason...be brave.
    Lol, and there are lots of office workers who can eat whatever is being ordered and be lean and fit too.
    The OP is off the hook here due to allergies to the food so it's no longer an issue, but if the "be brave" stance gets taken and people at work then deem that person difficult to deal with on such a "simple" issue, it may make working with these individuals more difficult. Again, it's more a about a "team" bonding here and not personal preferences on food choices. Team aspects aren't about individuality.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't see how what I eat has anything to do with a "team" mentality. It's not like we'd all become bffs over the fact that we're eating the same crappy catered sandwiches lol.
    It does IF you get to do what you want out of prerogative and others comply because it's not that big a deal. Again, you aren't going to control how other perceive you.
    I had some friends when I lived in VA who were "clean" eaters only. When in the gym we worked out together, cracked jokes together, etc.
    We were all invited to a party and they asked what was being served. No allergies mind you, but they asked if they could bring their own food to the party. Host said no. So they opted not to go. At the party, guests that knew them viewed them as food "snobs". Again, actions speak louder than words. They obviously took the high road to prevent conflict, but it didn't stop how they were perceived by others.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sooo... I've typed about 5 different responses and deleted them all. I can't even believe people are suggesting such crazy responses. Haven't any of you ever been to your mother-in-laws house for dinner?!?! You can't just throw the food away in front of her because you don't like it. I seriously can't believe people think this is ever an appropriate reaction. Come on people! You push that stuff around your plate, chat it up, say you aren't hungry, and eat later. It's not about taking a social stand, it's about playing nice, building relationships, and you know, just in general learning how to act appropriate in public places.

Dear Abby would have a field day with all these responses... haha

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Did someone actually say that we sometimes have to eat a "shi( sandwich" YOU MAY but I don't and wont'

Social situations at work the restaurants chosen, the food at pot lucks etc are operating from an antiquated systems...be brave enough to help that system fall to the way side. The majority of office workers are obese for a reason...be brave.
    Lol, and there are lots of office workers who can eat whatever is being ordered and be lean and fit too.
    The OP is off the hook here due to allergies to the food so it's no longer an issue, but if the "be brave" stance gets taken and people at work then deem that person difficult to deal with on such a "simple" issue, it may make working with these individuals more difficult. Again, it's more a about a "team" bonding here and not personal preferences on food choices. Team aspects aren't about individuality.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't see how what I eat has anything to do with a "team" mentality. It's not like we'd all become bffs over the fact that we're eating the same crappy catered sandwiches lol.

Choosing something different can be polarizing. What you aren't eating can serve as a powerful reminder to others of what they ARE eating. I see this play out on an ethical level as a vegan -- some people are very alienated by my choice not to eat animal products. And it can also happen on a health level.

Sharing food is powerful. I am not saying you should turn your back on your goals (I don't turn my back on mine), but I don't think it is something that can be dismissed.

Hmm, I can see where that would come into play for sure. It's funny though, because to me it feels more alienating that they're actively choosing not to make people who eat differently uncomfortable.

Ah well, I'll still be there with them at the table with my own lunch so at least I'll physically be there with everyone.

There is perhaps a lack of sensitivity here on the part of your company. We're much more careful about it. When we have events, there's always a fish option on Friday, there's a vegetarian option at every meal, and we have GF and Crohn's friendly special meals on hand for our employees with serious dietary restrictions.

We also have very talented people planning the events, and super nice / accommodating admins that work with us. Maybe come work here? You'd probably like it.

Much nicer than my company, and we are in the healthcare industry. You would think.....
    Lol, I believe the healthcare workers tend to be on edge more due to 12 hour shifts! Trust when I tell you that many of my boxing clients are happy to hit the bag after work.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

thank you.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Choosing something different can be polarizing. What you aren't eating can serve as a powerful reminder to others of what they ARE eating. I see this play out on an ethical level as a vegan -- some people are very alienated by my choice not to eat animal products. And it can also happen on a health level.

Sharing food is powerful. I am not saying you should turn your back on your goals (I don't turn my back on mine), but I don't think it is something that can be dismissed.

Hmm, I can see where that would come into play for sure. It's funny though, because to me it feels more alienating that they're actively choosing not to make people who eat differently uncomfortable.

Ah well, I'll still be there with them at the table with my own lunch so at least I'll physically be there with everyone.

There is perhaps a lack of sensitivity here on the part of your company. We're much more careful about it. When we have events, there's always a fish option on Friday, there's a vegetarian option at every meal, and we have GF and Crohn's friendly special meals on hand for our employees with serious dietary restrictions.

We also have very talented people planning the events, and super nice / accommodating admins that work with us. Maybe come work here? You'd probably like it.

Much nicer than my company, and we are in the healthcare industry. You would think.....
    Lol, I believe the healthcare workers tend to be on edge more due to 12 hour shifts! Trust when I tell you that many of my boxing clients are happy to hit the bag after work.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah, my days have been as small as 8 hours, and I've done 24 hours, too. Other than the past few days, since I've had the flu, I enjoy going for a stroll after work, or doing some kinda cardio.

Just never before work. I'm not a morning person, and sometimes, "I can't even" at 0430. Haha.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Does the restaurant do any "special requests"? I rarely ever order something straight off a menu. Maybe you could "make" your own meal by specifying exactly what you can eat when you place your order.

My workplace occasionally orders in from one of the sandwich shops. I typically order a certain sandwich and then scrape the guts out to eat like a salad. (Bread fills me up, so I try to avoid it.) Granted, it isn't a mandatory thing... but it is fun to get together to celebrate.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi, if there are food that make you ill I'm guessing you have an intolerance or allergy rather than simply being fussy. If your boss isn't budging on this, perhaps the person who is actually sending through the order would talk to the restaurant about your particular dietary requirements or you could talk to them yourself. Most UK chain restaurants have their menus online and I find it useful to look and select before I go out for a meal as I'm more likely to make a greedy choice in the restaurant! Online many have a nutritional breakdown so you can weigh up the choices.

It's not as simple as choosing a salad as many salads are covered in creamy sauces in restaurants.

My boss is allergic to dairy so whenever we order lunches there's always a lot of care about dietary requirements. (It's not something that gives her a dodgy tummy but that could actually kill her.)

Of my group of friends, one is coeliac, one diabetic, two others are vegetarian and so I'm always conscious of researching menus before we go out for meals. One friend works for a restaurant chain so is always informative about what restaurants are expected to provide in terms of allergy advice etc. The coeliac friend kicked up a fuss somewhere because they didn't have a printed gluten free menu. The restaurant friend pointed out that the bigger chains have to do that now but it is yet to roll out to smaller, independent places. To be fair to the place we were in, the waiter invited my coeliac friend to have a tour of the kitchens, meet the chef and ensure that she was content that there would be no gluten contamination.

I've blabbered on a bit here but the point I want to make is - it should be a treat to have meals paid for and cooked by someone else! So talk to the chef or the restaurant manager - they should be happy and able to prepare you something that meets your needs.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Looking for some help to handle a bit of a sticky situation.

Our work is ordering in for a mandatory "celebration lunch" (yes, attendance is mandatory, don't ask) for all of the employees in our location. We're all expected to put in our order to the chain restaurant they've chosen.

But I'd rather bring my own lunch and use the calories for better food that I actually enjoy and that doesn't make me feel ill.

When I told my boss this I was told to "just get a salad."

How do I get out of this without causing awkward friction without my employer?

Since it's a chain restaurant why can't you look up their nutritional information & pick something that fits your macro & calorie needs? Most chain restaurants now offer a light menu.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do about the food, I would suggest thanking the person who paid for it at the end. I'm pretty sure that person's intent wasn't to torture restricted eaters or send anyone to ER. The intent is most likely well meaning, to do something special employees would enjoy. A little gratitude (for good intentions, kindness) goes a long way.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this might be the reason why my org doesn't bother with "celebratory" lunches..