Sex.. Is it really what keeps the relationship together?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    mocadet95 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. I am 20 years old and still am a virgin and I have had quite a few long relationships. And sex was never involved I am still young, but I do not believe that sex ever has to be involved before marriage for it to be successful. Now when you are married I believe that it is a special way to show your love to one another and it could be a bond in the relationship. What I am getting to is sex can be important but it is not a crucial factor!

Yeah. I thought that too when I was a 19-year-old virgin about to get married.

It turned out that I really had no idea what I was talking about.

Amen!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think you are right in the sense that a lot of people will use sex as an excuse for why their relationship is bad, even when that isn't actually the answer.

But I do still think that sex is important in every relationship (whether you have it often or not). If what you need is sex once every two months then that's what you need, but if you have a higher libido and you need sex twice every week then that's something you and your partner have to make an effort for to keep one another sexually satisfied.

@MeganMoroz89‌ Troof. I would never argue that sex is not important and it can be trying in a relationship where libidos are very different. Been there, done that.

In for satisfying, frequent sex.

• iamlynn74
    iamlynn74 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    iamlynn74 wrote: »
    1. I wouldn't say it keeps a relationship together but I am willing to bet that if you take away the sex you will add a lot of complications. All of the other things that frustrate you in life will become even more frustrating....

2. When couples get together sex is usually a constant but as the relationship ages, if the two are not on the same wave someone is going to cheat and someone is going to be feeling neglected, and someone is going to be hurt.

3. My personal rule. "The same things you do to get the woman/man is the same thing you have to do to keep the woman/man".....this includes sex.

interesting number 3 you got there. I agree with is sometimes. I usually always pay for the first date. I rather not keep paying for everything all the time.

You haven't gotten the person after the first date, so as long as you set your expectations early you should be fine.

well we would have to define what the other posters means by get? There are different "gets" for people. relationship, FWB, etc....

Get as when you make the decision to begin dating exclusively. Everything it took to get there
    iamlynn74 wrote: »
    1. I wouldn't say it keeps a relationship together but I am willing to bet that if you take away the sex you will add a lot of complications. All of the other things that frustrate you in life will become even more frustrating....

2. When couples get together sex is usually a constant but as the relationship ages, if the two are not on the same wave someone is going to cheat and someone is going to be feeling neglected, and someone is going to be hurt.

3. My personal rule. "The same things you do to get the woman/man is the same thing you have to do to keep the woman/man".....this includes sex.

interesting number 3 you got there. I agree with is sometimes. I usually always pay for the first date. I rather not keep paying for everything all the time.

You haven't gotten the person after the first date, so as long as you set your expectations early you should be fine.

well we would have to define what the other posters means by get? There are different "gets" for people. relationship, FWB, etc....

For this discussion I would define get by relationship, since that is what this thread is about.

Get defined as all of the work it took to "get" to relationship status. If you were a gentleman you have to continue being a gentleman. So since the subject is pertaining to sex, if your freak meter is high in the beginning then moment you tame it down, doubts will raise.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I think maybe trying it in the pooper a couple times a year is the key. Maybe I'm wrong. Who's to say? YMMV.

I like it up the pooper. I would agree with this statement.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think maybe trying it in the pooper a couple times a year is the key. Maybe I'm wrong. Who's to say? YMMV.

Nothing wrong with trying the back door.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Annnnd...inbox full in 3...2...1...

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Next Tuesday is my 15th anniversary. So, something is working... HAHAHA..

I did not want this thread to continue down the pooper..

Edited to add: I do get all of mine here at home and I am happy camper... B)>:)B)>:)
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Annnnd...inbox full in 3...2...1...

Nope!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think partners have to be matched sexually. I'm an everyday kind of person married to a once a month kind of person and that causes some tension. You know, it's free, when things aren't going well and you can't go out to a movie or out for a date night, it's just always there.
    Well, unless your partner is just not into it.. :\
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I need research, data, and scientific studies please...
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Of course. That's why people have their tingly bits.. Well.. Tingle, when they want that person.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

When the roller coaster is out of commission, they don't close the entire theme park. The log flume is always a great second choice.

Sex may or may not be important in your relationship, but having a matching sex drive sure is. I'm in the best relationship of my life, in part, because I've finally met my sexual match. That happiness permeates to every other part of our relationship.
  • kiousd
    kiousd Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Is it important. ... of course. But it's not the only thing. If your relationship is based solely around sex then you're missing out on the emotional connection.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    acquilla30 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Sex isn't the only thing that matters, but it is a "must have". If the sex isn't good, I won't want to be with the person very long. I would never be with them long enough to "love" them if the sex isn't good.

I don't know If I would say all of that. I guess you might not like virgins at all because there not good in bed. (Maybe)

I think since I never answer the OP that yes sex is also a must have in a relationship. I am one of those every other day types at minimum. Now if she sucks in bed then two qualities could help with that which will help build the relationship. Trust and communication. She does not have to be the best at sex for it to work. It would be up to me to also use those two qualities so she can become an amazing partner and also me for her which will lead to great sex

Maybe even mind blowing sex. I'm still trying to figure out what this means for men? Actually nevermind I think I can answer my own questions. I have a better guess what it means for women.

I'm a 44 year old woman, and have absolutely no interest in virgins!! Never had, never will.

I think with any new person, there is a learning curve. But that is very different than having bad sex. I'n my experience, a person who is good in bed is a good communicator, open minded, and will very quickly figure out what works for me...either by observation/trial & error, or by actually listening to what I tell them...I think I have a responsibility to speak up if I want something I'm not getting or if what they're doing isn't working for me. If they don't...then I don't see the point in sticking with them long enough to get attached emotionally and make the ultimate breakup more painful. This is not a process that takes months...you're either compatible or you're not and that is usually clear very quickly.

Preach. Tell us men what you want. There is no better feeling than hear the woman you're with scream exactly what she wants.

Except when your neighbors have to hear it lol.

At least they will know what good sex is suppose to sound like.
  • mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It might be the case until you get married, then it becomes almost non-existant!!!! LOL
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been together 15 years. It wouldn't have lasted this long if it wasn't good. I imagine it will drop off when we are in our 80s; but by then, it will be too late to trade him in.
  • Dared2Evolve
    Dared2Evolve Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I believe chemistry is necessary to maintain a relationship, sex generally is part of that .. so yes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It might be the case until you get married, then it becomes almost non-existant!!!! LOL

If that happens you're doing marriage wrong. ;)