Replies

• SAHMommy81
    SAHMommy81 Posts: 11
    Options
    "quoting 1-3"
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I pick and choose my own battles and I can handle A lot of criticism. Im not here looking for sympathy and If you really understood the topic you would understand that this a success story.I took this and it made me stronger on something that I admit is my weakness. Do not take my weakness for granted for I am stronger at other things such as laughing at some of the nonsense that comes out of others mouths. Thank you for your entertaining words and I hope you find yourself a husband that loves you for you as well and not have to reward him with sexual activities each time he does something nice for u and if you are married and that's the only way u can get ur husband to do something nice for you then to each its own! You have urself a keeper!! Obviously your looking into the movie pretty women to far and you feel that I need to give a "bj" for my husband saying I love you then your on the wrong website and ur battling other things besides weight issues and I wish you the best of luck getting the help you need as well. I appreciate your concern but some things you should keep to yourself especially if you think its going to upset someone when u truley think ur really helping them. I worked in customer service myself for many years and would never degrade another human being just from being brought up by showing respect to others even if I was having a bad day. I loved my shopping experience at D!cks sporting store and recommend it to others. I walked into that store looking for common courtesy just as all should expect and be treated as a shopper not looking for therapy sweety. I feel sorry for the man who had to be so rude to someone he didn't know just to make himself feel better just as I do for you. You being a prior "cheerleader" as you stated wouldn't like to be known as the typical stereotype of having to give "Bjs' to the ones who played good and wouldn't appreciate the ones who would say that so I dont appreciate you thinking that's what I need to do so being the "cheerleader" u were help others by continuing to cheer on their success rather then talk not so lady like . Im sure your a sweet girl who has good intentions and wanted to help and as a matter of fact you did, you made me smile! Thanks oh and btw before posting your replies please understand the story before assuming because I don't need by husband to hold my hand to shop, it was a gift from him and men do stand by and support their wives. Its okay im sure you were so caught up in the moment making yourself feel good by critiquing everything I wrote! You have your way of how you would of handled it just as everyone else has their ways they would have and that's the way I dealt with mine. Thank you for your time! Now if It wasn't a weight issue and I was just dealing with pure ignorance then Im sure the only thing my husband would of been doing would of been dragging me out of the store for I would of handled that situation just fine myself.:flowerforyou:
    no flowers for you, lady! rawr!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That is really horrible. I am glad it worked out though. It took me a minute to realize what ****'s meant. I love their commercials, they feature unconventional runners if you will. People missing legs and such. Very uplifting and a great reminder that people of all shapes sizes and fitness levels can be on a journey to get or stay fit.

As for the manager. You could call corporate on him. Tell them what he did. That you left. How much you were budgeted to spend there. Where you eventually ended up going and how much you spent there. Tell them the part also where you lost so much weight you needed new work out clothes and you will likely need more new workout clothes in the near future and that you are going straight to the place that treated you nicely or at least decently the first time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

1) I don't remember this scene from Pretty Woman at all. I remember a prostitute being treated like a prostitute by snobby sales girls, but no overweight people?
    2) I'm wondering why you didn't just ask for the name brand you'd found online during your research. Especially if you felt someone was already focusing on your "belly" and weight, I personally would never respond to a visual attack on my appearance by giving someone, anyone (manager or not) more ammo by using words like jiggly and etc. I'd just ask for the name brand in my size. Perhaps that's what he meant by "more specific".
    3) You seem really proud and happy with your D!cks's shopping excursion but that was really just facilitated by hubby's hand-holding, no? I really think you are overthinking things and walking into the store expecting therapy/cheerleading/commiserating/diagnosing rather than shopping help of the "can I help you find something" variety which is really all there is out there these days since the economy turned. If you need that much help after you're online research go to a store that caters more to people, it will cost more money but they will help you work out your problems questions with less attitude and more of an eye on the ball/dollar. You can't rely on your husband to go with you to buy everything. For now though until you develop the moxy to go it alone, he is your hero of the day and as such deserves a BJ. :flowerforhim: :flowerforyou:

You spoke my mind as well.

I mean, we are talking about sports authority here, this is not some fancy exclusive boutique for active wear. I think you would be hard pressed to find a manager or employee of a SA that has some sort of uppity idea of what their "clientele" should be, so I find it hard to imagine that this guys was discriminating against the OP because of her size.

Was he a jerk and unhelpful? Yes, there is no denying that. It sounds like he didn't care to serve any customers, but wanted to get to the business of talking down his employees. To be perfectly honest, most managers do tend to leave the customer service side to their employees so they can "manage", though many can go out of their way to be helpful. Report him if you like, but I think it is also helpful to look at how we perceive people based off of our own insecurities.

Edited to add: Yes, I understand he asked if you needed any help, but they are required to do that in most companies. It is not out of a desire to actually help in a lot of cases.

Super kudos to Chocolate and Zoe!!!! Hi5!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Glovepuppet, youve captivated my heart. When I get out of prison wanna be my woman?
    well i am adorable.

how long am i expected to wait though? 25 years is taking a long engagement too far.

Well, the judge said if I returned the sheep I could get a reduction, but that damn sheep keeps coming back during visitation....you sure gotta purty back....
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Glovepuppet, youve captivated my heart. When I get out of prison wanna be my woman?
    well i am adorable.

how long am i expected to wait though? 25 years is taking a long engagement too far.

Well, the judge said if I returned the sheep I could get a reduction, but that damn sheep keeps coming back during visitation....you sure gotta purty back....
    i bet you say that to the sheep too.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

You ABSOLUTELY MUST MUST MUST MUST write to the head office of The Sports Authority and complain about the store and the level of ( non) service you received. Not only will that idiot be reprimanded but you have the right to courteous service. I once complained to Niketown in London and they invited me inshore to help myself to what I needed. I didn't tell them that I am a sponsored nike athlete.
  • ashleymm625
    Options

wow...what a *kitten*. don't go there again!
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would report him for poor customer service! I would think SA would have some care about how their customers are treated. L/XL is not really that big and they can often have Larges and XL sizes in running clothes.

I have never really had much luck with Sports Authority. i don't know what you have in your area. I bought my last pair of walking shoes at Sports Chalet. They were pretty helpful. You can always try a specialty store as well, for running gear. they are almost always really helpful. I know I worked with one for running shoes awhile back and they had a good selection of running clothes as well. You can ask them for assistance as well with bra suggestions.
  • SAHMommy81
    SAHMommy81 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and for the feedback. I will use this and definitely write a letter! wish me luck and I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything!! bad day or not, nobody deserves to be treated like this!!! :smile:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the way through, but if you want to do something positive with this, send a note to the corporate guy of Di'ck's with your details and a link to this thread. Let the guy who treated you well get some credit and everyone who should wins.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    what an idiot doesn't he know that we are the reason his store is even open. I hope enough people read your story, don't go to that store and he will have to close. Would serve him right.
  • alain0207
    alain0207 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    He was an *kitten* and you (and everyone) deserve respect. Take it to their FB page
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there is a reason that store was void of any other customers! It also sounds like he's the problem. Good for you for telling your husband and awesome of him to stand up for you. He sounds like a keeper, and you sound like one determined lady! Go girl!
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you were treated that way! You are doing a great job...don't let anyone take away your pride! Some people are just plain mean and shouldn't be allowed to be around other people. I am SOOOOO glad you went somewhere else and were treated well. I will never shop at that store again because of your story! Keep up the great work and I bet you look fabulous in your new workout gear! :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I pick and choose my own battles and I can handle A lot of criticism. Im not here looking for sympathy and If you really understood the topic you would understand that this a success story.I took this and it made me stronger on something that I admit is my weakness. Do not take my weakness for granted for I am stronger at other things such as laughing at some of the nonsense that comes out of others mouths. Thank you for your entertaining words and I hope you find yourself a husband that loves you for you as well and not have to reward him with sexual activities each time he does something nice for u and if you are married and that's the only way u can get ur husband to do something nice for you then to each its own! You have urself a keeper!! Obviously your looking into the movie pretty women to far and you feel that I need to give a "bj" for my husband saying I love you then your on the wrong website and ur battling other things besides weight issues and I wish you the best of luck getting the help you need as well. I appreciate your concern but some things you should keep to yourself especially if you think its going to upset someone when u truley think ur really helping them. I worked in customer service myself for many years and would never degrade another human being just from being brought up by showing respect to others even if I was having a bad day. I loved my shopping experience at D!cks sporting store and recommend it to others. I walked into that store looking for common courtesy just as all should expect and be treated as a shopper not looking for therapy sweety. I feel sorry for the man who had to be so rude to someone he didn't know just to make himself feel better just as I do for you. You being a prior "cheerleader" as you stated wouldn't like to be known as the typical stereotype of having to give "Bjs' to the ones who played good and wouldn't appreciate the ones who would say that so I dont appreciate you thinking that's what I need to do so being the "cheerleader" u were help others by continuing to cheer on their success rather then talk not so lady like . Im sure your a sweet girl who has good intentions and wanted to help and as a matter of fact you did, you made me smile! Thanks oh and btw before posting your replies please understand the story before assuming because I don't need by husband to hold my hand to shop, it was a gift from him and men do stand by and support their wives. Its okay im sure you were so caught up in the moment making yourself feel good by critiquing everything I wrote! You have your way of how you would of handled it just as everyone else has their ways they would have and that's the way I dealt with mine. Thank you for your time! Now if It wasn't a weight issue and I was just dealing with pure ignorance then Im sure the only thing my husband would of been doing would of been dragging me out of the store for I would of handled that situation just fine myself.:flowerforyou:

This was a little confusing to read since you for some reason did not use the quote feature. It's a button at the bottom of the post you are replying to. I'm sorry everyone jumping on me has caused you to misread my replies and made you feel you were being attacked by me. That was not my intent. Just some helpful insight and some little what I thought were harmless and understood jokes. Also my help was not meant to be condescending but was in earnest. I was joking (partially) about the BJ stuff, I mean some people do things like that when they are happy I'm sorry you're not one of them, and really your husband may be more sorry though, LOL.

Anyways, sorry my former cheerleader status bothers you so much and means so much to your mind that it makes the rest of what I say read so slutty to you. Most people I know don't think that way about that and most people I know have a radar to understand a joke when they see it. I have a husband thanks so I don't need your well wishes or pity, and yeah, he'll defend me when I need it, and no I don't "have" to do sexual favors for him if he does right by me but sometimes I just like to. He always does right by me. He also, though, will defend me when he senses I think I need it which is rare, he's a smart one, he can assess the situation and maintain his composure and gauge my expressions. I could have told him what was going on in that store and trusted he would handle it with grace and ease. He trusts me to do the same. Maybe that's why I like doing dirty things to him anyways, which I thought was the norm within marriages, but I guess not *smh*.

As for being dragged out of a store for handling it yourself, if that's the way you handle things when you actually feel you can handle them, then I guess it is best you let your husband fight your battles for you so at least no one gets arrested.

In closing, try not to take all of your internal issues out on the world at large and expect too much from them. They are only human as are we and a major rant or all points bulletin for a shopping trip is a little overboard don't you think? Then when people start lighting their torches and storming the gates with fire the jerk....it's just too much. Get some perspective is all I'm saying. Have a margarita do some yoga or whatever else gets you relaxed if actual intimacy is too much for you. *sigh*

Ahhhh, sane, level, perspective, comes from a good relationship. Not a lot of that on here. Cheers to you. :drinker:
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You go girl! :drinker: Congrats on your success with the healthy you! Don't let one $!#? get you down (he is a sad person!) I'm so glad your hubby was there for you and pushed you to get the clothes you deserve! You are blessed! Good luck with continued success!:flowerforyou:
  • Flagirlof3
    Flagirlof3 Posts: 86
    Options
    sorry you had to go thru all of that! I have bought all my running stuff off of Ebay. I hate to go to a store and shop so I buy 90% of all my clothes off of ebay. New and Used.. good prices and most are free shipping and I didn't have to leave my house.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Wow. Internet sure can be pretty damn entertaining sometimes.

Bad customer service? Certainly. A personal slam, yeah, perhaps not?

Gotta say that your reply above does lend quite a bit of credence to the theory that you might of been reading too much into your whole perception as to how you may have been "treated" at the store.

Why the need to be so defensive and slam Chocolate for her remarks in this thread. She was quite clear - to the point of being too delicate actually - to let you know that she was looking to offer a constructive counter view to all of the other Hi-5's being posted here and yet your reply back slams her just shy of calling her a slutty cheerleader.

Might be worthwhile for you to take a moment and reflect as to where those feelings are coming from and not be so quick to project them outwards onto others around you.

Seriously wish you the best and am also offering this out constructively.

Have a great weekend.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congratulations of one the weight loss and commitment to running. I know the road is not easy.

I definitely agree that the manager's customer service was lack. He could have better handled the situation. He works in a customer service based field and should attempt to provide quality service in all of his interactions.

There is also the component the perception of one's self. From your story it seems as if you sent a lot of time before going to the store researching and reflecting on yourself. Some of which can be perceived as self doubt. Many times we tend to be hard on ourselves and view ourselves more negatively than society at large, especially women. It seems we have a eye toward perfection that isn't always realistic.

In every challenging or difficult situation it is imperative that we reflect upon on our own thoughts, reactions and insecurities. The reality is we sometimes project our own insecurities upon others and perceive them as slights. It is quite possible that he was upset for some reason unrelated to you and was inappropriately projecting his frustrations upon. As it is equally likely that you perceived his interaction with you as negative and judgmental. There isn't any way to truly know the answer to this.

This is indeed a situation from which to grow and reflect. I think it would be wise for you to report his behavior to corporate as I stated earlier his job is in fact customer service based. And also reflect upon the inner workings of you and how you perceive yourself and relate to others.

I hope that you take this well. Just providing you with what I would do if I were in your shoes :-) Much luck on your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!