The Truth About Calories.

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Ravachu wrote: »
    I am genuinely disturbed by how grossly misinterpreted this programme was by the OP.

I've just finished watching it and its entire emphasis was on NOT cutting anything out. The programme was about the science behind what a calorie is, how the calorie is absorbed by the body, how you don't have to cut anything out to lose weight because CICO and how portion control plus little food swaps (eg: double cream instead of butter in mash) can save you calories.

The presenter said on too many occasions to count that you don't have to eat just celery to lose weight. He was all about the chips, chocolate and cheesecake actually. His point was to understand how many calories your body needs, how many it burns and to eat less than maintenance calories to lose weight.

How anyone reached the conclusion that it was about cutting out food items is beyond me.

She didn't misinterpret or conclude any such thing:

"Just wanted to share this great documentary I recently watched on bbciplayer as it has me motivated again. It's called "The Truth About Calories" and you can find it on bbciplayer."

Why did you leave out her last sentence?
    Because the beginning and end of the OP's post had nothing to do with the program. I only quoted the relevant bit.

If that's what you believe then what do you think of the areas in bold?

Ravachu wrote: »
    I am genuinely disturbed by how grossly misinterpreted this programme was by the OP.

I've just finished watching it and its entire emphasis was on NOT cutting anything out. The programme was about the science behind what a calorie is, how the calorie is absorbed by the body, how you don't have to cut anything out to lose weight because CICO and how portion control plus little food swaps (eg: double cream instead of butter in mash) can save you calories.

The presenter said on too many occasions to count that you don't have to eat just celery to lose weight. He was all about the chips, chocolate and cheesecake actually. His point was to understand how many calories your body needs, how many it burns and to eat less than maintenance calories to lose weight.

How anyone reached the conclusion that it was about cutting out food items is beyond me.

vitaminski wrote: »
    I've recently lost 1/2 a stone and have been working out as I played Carnival in February this year. Now I no longer have the threat of a teeny, tiny carnival costume hanging over my head, I've been eating all the naughty stuff. The difficulty for me lies in keeping motivated when you have reached your goal and I've slipped a bit, but am ready to jump back on the wagon!!!

Just wanted to share this great documentary I recently watched on bbciplayer as it has me motivated again. It's called "The Truth About Calories" and you can find it on bbciplayer. Hope it helps to keep you away from the chips, chocolate and cheesecake!!!!!

:)

The program motivated the OP to get back to her diet and she was trying to be encouraging with her closing sentence. People on diets generally stay away from chips, chocolate and cheesecake.

Or do you really think the OP watched a show that had nothing to do with cutting out desserts but came here to tell everyone to cut out desserts because that's what this show said? That's an absurd interpretation of the OP's post -- and your welcome to it of course -- but I think it's nonsense.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    TLDR anyone?

I'm in for cheesecake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And FYI I know plenty of people that lose weight and don't stay away from food like that.

"Don't stay away" is not the same as "eat as much as they'd like or is possible"

Every successful and healthy dieter I know limits the amount of (for example) cheesecake that they're eating. In fact, the very definition of "in moderation" means they're limiting ALL food groups.

So all of you arguing back and forth are avoiding foods - you're all the same - the only difference is the small margin in how much you're avoiding certain foods.

cc528.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    And FYI I know plenty of people that lose weight and don't stay away from food like that.

"Don't stay away" is not the same as "eat as much as they'd like or is possible"

Every successful and healthy dieter I know limits the amount of (for example) cheesecake that they're eating. In fact, the very definition of "in moderation" means they're limiting ALL food groups.

So all of you arguing back and forth are avoiding foods - you're all the same - the only difference is the small margin in how much you're avoiding certain foods.

cc528.jpg

Well then it's a good thing I didn't say that

But thanks for playing

Yes, you most assuredly did say "don't stay away from".

And that's exactly the point.

Same boat, different seat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The difficulty for me lies in keeping motivated when you have reached your goal and I've slipped a bit, but am ready to jump back on the wagon!!!

I haven't seen the documentary but will try to remember to check it out if I ever get the chance.

But, I think this sentence is important and why many regain after losing. Maintenance is harder than losing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

cc528.jpg

Well then it's a good thing I didn't say that

But thanks for playing

Yes, you most assuredly did say "don't stay away from".

And that's exactly the point.

Same boat, different seat.

Nope.

As always you are trying to read into someone's statement and tell them what they really meant. Nice try with your word games.

Do you think a dieter should eat all their calories as Skittles? No, you don't. Do the sugar-haters thing a dieter should eat all their calories as Skittles? No, they don't.

There's one peg of the agreement.

Do you think a dieter can do just fine eating a handle of Skittles every day? Yes, you do. Do the sugar-haters think a handful of skittles will completely derail a weight loss plan? No, they don't.

There's the other peg of the agreement.

You guys/gals are in 90% agreement, your vigourous argument is limited to minutae that is more or less irrelevant in the real world.

Welcome to Lilliput! :drinker:

• mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The problem is refined SUGARS! Cut the sugars right down, and you will use more body fat.

Well that couldn't be further from the truth.

So you know more than every qualified nutritionist that I have spoken to that are not making ANY money out of me at all?

Maybe you should research on how refined sugars and some fats are broken down by the liver before disagreeing with someone.

Lets not forget how "correct" MFP actually is when it comes to calculating calories used during exercise..... Too many people brainwashed into thinking less calories in = more weight/fat lost..... Could not be further from the truth as if all your calories were from sugars, you would not be doing anything at all!

I am done with the "community" now as I am not going to waste any more of my time.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The difficulty for me lies in keeping motivated when you have reached your goal and I've slipped a bit, but am ready to jump back on the wagon!!!

I haven't seen the documentary but will try to remember to check it out if I ever get the chance.

But, I think this sentence is important and why many regain after losing. Maintenance is harder than losing.

There are 2 of them, one about calories and one about sugar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqatoGRW9TI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhrgYwir4qo

BTW, the intro to the calorie show includes the line "I'll find out how we can all cut our calories without giving up our favorite foods." The restriction argument really has nothing to do with the show at all.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Do you think a dieter can do just fine eating a handle of Skittles every day? Yes, you do. Do the sugar-haters think a handful of skittles will completely derail a weight loss plan? No, they don't.

There's the error in your thinking.

Certainly not all, but (depending on how you define the group "sugar-haters") a healthy percentage of them do actually think (or at least espouse to think) that is true.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited March 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The problem is refined SUGARS! Cut the sugars right down, and you will use more body fat.

Well that couldn't be further from the truth.

So you know more than every qualified nutritionist that I have spoken to that are not making ANY money out of me at all?

If that's the advice they gave you, then in a word, "yes".
    Maybe you should research on how refined sugars and some fats are broken down by the liver before disagreeing with someone.

What makes you think we haven't?
    Lets not forget how "correct" MFP actually is when it comes to calculating calories used during exercise..... Too many people brainwashed into thinking less calories in = more weight/fat lost..... Could not be further from the truth as if all your calories were from sugars, you would not be doing anything at all!

And here comes the 'all your calories from sugar' strawman, right on schedule.
    I am done with the "community" now as I am not going to waste any more of my time.

Probably for the best.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Certainly not all, but (depending on how you define the group "sugar-haters") a healthy percentage of them do actually think (or at least espouse to think) that is true.

Name one sugar-hater on MFP who believes the 25g of simple carbs in a handful of Skittles is going to derail a proper weight loss plan.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Name one sugar-hater on MFP who believes a handful of Skittles is going to derail a proper weight loss plan.

I could, but think it would violate the CL. The belief is possibly concerning the person only, they might think it's fine for other people.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What makes you think we haven't?

Because you're disagreeing with him obviously.

I like how the guy is a perfect example of ""a handful of skittles will completely derail a weight loss plan".
  • juggernaut1974
    edited March 2015
    Options

Name one sugar-hater on MFP who believes the 25g of simple carbs in a handful of Skittles is going to derail a proper weight loss plan.
    You got me...I've never asked that specific question of any specific poster. I lose the internets....that's what you want me to say, right?

Maybe the sugar-hater above can weigh in before he flounces.

For those not as interested in semantics, see: "I'm giving up ALL sugar" and/or "I'm addicted to sugar. One piece of candy and I can't help but binge" threads. Maybe some of them can give us their well-informed opinions.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    How many of you watched the documentary?
    What are your objections to it?

I did. There was some good stuff around satiety and the properties of food which were spoiled by a lot of slightly wonky stuff around calorie requirements and exercise burn.

It's the old problem of applying general principles to specific issues.

Forgot all about this thread, but ill go with what spoony says. I thought it was reasonable and its a bit hard for you lot to comment about it if you didnt see the programme. I would separate what was in the programme from what the OP says about cookies (some of which I bought today) which I just read as a flippant remark and her own viewpoint. Nothing to do with the documentary.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's old, I suppose, but you asked for one: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/20088470#Comment_20088470
    Good job!!! Your sugar is set too high though and therein lies your problem. It should be set at 30 grams for your calorie amount. Fructose in sugar is not metabolized as glucose is and one, if not the main, cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group