WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I spent much of late March and early April not losing any weight. I was pretty good with calories but had travel and visitors that I let slow me down. But thanks to y'all's wise advice I just kept at it. Here's proof u can push past a plateau:

323qzpwwqpe4.jpg
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!
    Jane...sending good thoughts for you and your mother.
    Janet,,,Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had some nice celebrations with loved ones.
    Allison...take care of that bladder! Hope you feel better soon.
    Kim...count me in for dinner, I'll make dessert, I'm really good at it and enjoy baking as much as cooking. We can rent a bus, pick everyone up as we party across the country.
    Barbie...I will be trying the soup, sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I find chopping, mincing and dicing very therapeutic.
    Can't comment on much else because I can't remember much more.

I've been very busy job hunting and preparing to close the business. Say a prayer, light a candle, cross your toes please, that a promising opportunity I was presented with on Thursday pans out. I don't want to say much more because I don't want to jinx it.

Yesterday I stopped by Chico's to return a pair of jeans that I bought in October that were beginning to fray. I love Chico's clothes, I think they are so fun and stylish and age appropriate (I sometimes have to remind myself that I am nearing 60). Their clothes are quite expensive and I only buy when I can get a very good sale. The pants that were fraying are $99 and I have jeans that I paid 1/4 of the price that are still in perfectly good condition after a decade, so I thought that a return was in order. I had never returned anything before and didn't know what their return policy was. I figured that they would look up the lowest price the jeans were and issue me a store credit. This would suit me just fine because the pants were getting a bit big anyway and would soon be relegated to my "clothes that are too big box". I shop there often so I knew a credit would be used. I was so surprised when they told me I could exchange them for a brand new pair of pants in the same style. They apologized that they didn't have the exact pair because the spring/summer line was out. The bottom line is that I got a brand new pair of beige jeans TWO sizes smaller! Double Score!!

Going to thrift stores today (none of last year's summer pants fit) and then probably some yard work because the weather is supposed to warm up to upper 50's. Yeah!

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Chris in sunny MA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sylvia I have a vine like that too. When I bought it years ago it was labelled as a type of honeysuckle. I do not have it in as sunny of a spot as you so I do not get as many blooms. It is a beautiful plant. The hummingbirds do love it because of the trumpet like flower and the bright color. They are attracted to sweet smelling flowers and red is their favorite color. Although they will go to other flowers that are not red.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Allison - I'm sorry to hear about your bladder infection. Does cranberry juice help you? I hope you get your Dr to help you out. If not what about target can you go there?

Gilly- I know what you mean about missing swimming. I missed about 2 weeks and was so glad that I was able to go twice this week. At the end of May we will be able to jump in the lake. Where do you swim other than the pool?

Cynthia - I'm glad that you were able to get away and have a relaxing time. The picture of the pond and your dog was lovely. Is (s)he a collie? I haven't been able to locate the pictures, I think they are on my old phone. I will have to locate an old charger and take a look.

Barbie - have a fun day with your DH and your friends. You are very blessed.

Heather - don't forget to take a picture of the cake!

Beth - I hope things are going better for you! (((Hugs)))

Sylvia - I like your idea of the tour! Maybe we can do one a week. I don't know what kind of bush that is.

MMinmd - that is great progress! How did you take that picture?

Chris - we will be praying for you! I hope everything works out for you. Chris great score on the jeans! Nice return policy. Awesome NSV! Have fun at the thrift store.

Good morning everyone! I love to sleep in on Saturday! I have a hard time getting to sleep. I'll do my exercises then help my DH do some maintenance on our house. Still getting things done to try to make sure that it sells this year!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MminMD - great progress! WTG on busting that plateau! I have lost 2 lbs since the New Year. Before that I hadn't lost anything for a year. I'm almost done with losing now, but have to decide when to stop! At 65 I don't want to look scraggy! ! ! ! :laugh:

Chris - how great that you took those expensive pants back! :flowerforyou: It took me a long time to realise that there is no harm in asking. 9 times out of 10 it works. I always used to be scared of asking and DH still is a little bit. Now I nearly always go right ahead and ask.

Yeah, DH's team won! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :drinker: Phew, it was tense! :laugh: He is now glued to the internet again to see how the rival teams for the top place are getting on. Of course he wants them to lose, it is sooooo close. >:)

I made the number 4 cake and it's turned out well. :D The tin doesn't have a bottom so I had to fashion one out of aluminium foil and then line it with baking paper. Complicated! ! ! It's a chocolate fudge cake and I judged the 4 to be equivalent to an 8" tin. I had two cupcakes worth left over, so they are cooking. :bigsmile:
    Tonight we are having salmon, veggies, potatoes for DH and a chimichurri sauce. I think that is Argentinian or something. I have lots of parsley and oregano in the garden and basil on the kitchen windowsill.
    Barbie - I will probably have a go at Jake's recipe. :bigsmile:

Oh well, time to relax and finish reading the paper.

By the way, yesterday was the final of Masterchef on the TV. The winner was incredible! He came from a perfectly ordinary background and has 4 children. Single parent. He had never eaten in a posh restaurant! He was just amazing! ! ! ! And really nice. :) Oh, and he goes running to dream up ideas!

Love Heather x x x x
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    Exermom- just kidding, u no that rite?
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Heather, I had to look up Masterchef and it sounds interesting. I have been watching Chopped every day and am getting bummed out on the strange foods they offer the contestants.

MMin, great job on your loss. I started the day off with a McDonald's Big Breakfast. Ate everything but the biscuit and found out it was all my calories for the day. So glad that I am able to resist 90% of the time but it sure tasted good.

Sylvia, a strange remedy my Aunt gave for ants was to draw a chalk line along the area where you have seen them and they won't cross it.

Cynthia, the photo of the pond looks so peaceful! I'm sure you had a nice visit.

YannieJannie, the 5 yr old finally went to sleep around 11:15. The 3 yr old girl made it to 12. I put her in the bed with me and boy does she move around a lot. Now I know why my DIL said she has to leave their king sized bed in the middle of the night because the two kids, hubby, and great dane sized dog are all over it.

Jane, good wishes for your mom.

Carol ~ GA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that everyone here would be able to help me out! I told everyone about my phone issue! well it was supposed to be taken care of n I still haven't received my phone so I called Verizon and I was told that in order never got placed so in other words nothing ever happened and I'm capital SOL. so I am reaching out to MFP friends to please call Verizon on my behalf reference my telephone number 612 281 3965 and make a complaint on my behalf that they did not follow through with our agreement. even if only a couple of you call and complain it may make a big difference on how they treat their future customers

Thank you for your help in this matter!

Mary from Minnesota

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Well I have figured it is not bladder infection it is diverticulitis.. Flair up ..taking clindimicin and will stay off food for 24-48 hrs
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Mary: he's a Border Collie.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pipcd: Congratulations on 1000 consecutive logins! I am in hopes of getting cycling advice. I have been spending time on a spin cycle while my friend does zumba. This time, I ended up with two sore knees despite never standing to pedal. I speculate that I don’t have the seat set correctly, but I did have the tension set to a higher load during this session and I know I worked harder. My bad knee aches, but so does the good one. Any advice? DH thinks I need to raise the seat a bit. Thanks for the reminder that BMI has serious limitations as a means to assess health. It is useful for those of us who started out with a lot of excess fat. As we get healthier it seems less valuable.

Jane: Your mom is in my prayers. I’m sorry you can’t visit her & hope you get well soon.

AnnaHendry: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Post often and get to know people.

Cary: Improving tomorrows by what we do today is a great perspective.

Kim: I agree that this group is special.

Beth in WNY: If you’re derailed on your eating, can you add exercise? Snow is not a problem if you have an indoor option or cross-country ski.

Michele: I’ve been imagining your turtle with a tic-tac-toe color pattern on his back, and then one of the colors around the bottom edge of the shell. Maybe another color for the head and feet. I am eager to see what you do.

Toni: DH has his 50th class reunion in June. He is looking forward to going, much to his own surprise. Neither of us has ever gone to a class reunion.

Joyce & Mary: My son is a Whovian, but I never became a die-hard fan like him. I did find blown glass Whovian Christmas ornaments at a local shop and gave DS & DDIL each one at Christmas. One was a Dahlek (sp?) & the other a dog.

Cynthia: What a glorious photo. Thanks for sharing!

Heather: I downloaded your book to my Kindle and am ready to read!

Sylvia: Our hummingbird feeders are emptying at an astonishing rate. Yesterday we realized that the Rufous Hummingbirds are back for the summer. Now we have two species, our resident Annas and the migratory Rufous.

MMinMD: Congratulations on getting past your plateau!

Chris in MA: Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Mary: Good luck with the phone situation.

We have a sunny morning. I hope DH & I can find a way to have fun together. We’re talking about a bike ride once it warms up a bit more. Right now it is 50F. I’d like to see 65 before I ride my bike. It is fine to walk at 50, though.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - looooove border collies! <3

All the other top teams drew, so Watford are going up to the Premiership! ! ! ! ! ! ! :drinker:
    DH broke open a bottle of wine to celebrate. I suppose I'll have to drink it then. :ohwell: >:)>:)>:):drinker:

<3 Heather UK. With a deliriously happy DH. <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie – EXCELLENT next Saturday You, DeeDee and Toni for dinner!

Michele – I love the idea of a red white and blue turtle….. I think turtles are cute, maybe you could get a real one too, I have a neighbor with a 60lb tortoise, sometimes he gets out and comes and visits up and down the street, a couple of us just pick him up and take him home.

Toni – Saturday May 2 is the day! I will do appetizers and dinner – so you can eat on central time and on Pacific time… What state did you go to high school in?

Mary – I don’t have chairs for 30, but we can figure it out… picnic style!

Alison – my mom gets bladder infections some times and she started doing 4 ounces of cranberry juice each morning and has not had one for about 7 years. Sure is cheaper than your co-payment - Later Sorry to hear it is more serious.

Cynthia – cute pup picture, and what a nice area

Chris – great to hear what good customer service Chico’s has and 2 sizes smaller!!! Wow

Heather - Glad hubby is a happy hubby!

April goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – went to Hakone gardens it is a beautiful Japanese garden established in 1917 and just amazing.
    Week 2 – easter (?)
    Week 3 – Gardening Center Party

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • catcamx3
    catcamx3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this app: If I don't exercise in a particular day I accumulate "burned calories" for steps throughout the day. However, if I input a particular exercise and burn, say, 200 calories I get no credit for my steps. Does anyone know why or if I can change it? Thanks!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    catcamx3: I often have the same issue regarding step count on my iPhone, but not always. I haven't figured out the pattern.
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just a quick pop in to say hello... hope you're all having an awesome weekend. I'm in a readathon of all things http://24hourreadathon.com/2015/04/25/ (still many hours left for anyone who wants to participate). Kind of fun with people from all over the world in on it.

So glad you all liked the hummingbird picture so I'll share one more from last year (this is with our son who isn't as patient and still as me). Can you believe we had a little hummer yesterday manage to get his beak caught in the screen? When I opened the door though, that was incentive enough for him to free himself. I should have taken a pic, but I was worried and didn't want him to get stressed.

Have a great day all... I'm back to the books!
    Selena
    Utah

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Gray skies and drizzle all day. Made it to gym for yoga, first in over a month with dr.'s OK, did not do everything and boy, can I tell I haven't been there!!!! Brunch with the usual women. Finally managed to get about two hours sleep last night......saw 4:30 on the clock, then DD got up at 6am for work so I had dog jump on me and then time to get up.

Cynthia........What a pastoral setting!!! Lovely!!!

Allison.......Healing thoughts sent; feel better.

Heather........Go Team!!! Good for your DH!!!

Sylvia..........Knock wood, my allergies have not been bad sooooooo far. I believe that flower is called a trumpet vine or trumpet creeper. Hummers do love them. I can understand how you are torn about the upcoming trip.

Chris........Great score at Chicos!!!! Congrats on the lower size too.

Mary......Will try to call Verizon for you.

Selena.......Love the pic. Right now I'm reading a *ick Francis book I somehow missed. Checked out your link; esp. liked the Bruno Mars and Taylor Swift parodies!!!!!

Rant.......
    I've been saying I'm blah.......it's been more of that lingering sense that something is just not "right" in your world, out of balance somehow. I thought it might have had to do with the final surgeon visit. Today I found out that a "salt of the earth" type guy, husband to a dear friend, is (and apparently has been for months), carrying on an affair. DD and I have known these people for years and years. It's the dear friend whose son was killed in a car accident. The fact that my DD has suspected, then known, and was the one who gave me the news does not help matters any. I must be blind or living in a dream world. I wondered why my friend left town abruptly this week w/o telling any of us and didn't return my message. I am so sad for her and angry at him; it's something I would have never suspected him of doing. I don't know how I'm ever going to have anything to do with him again w/o telling him what I think of him. I just want to go spit on him right now.

Rainy day here, all day and more for tomorrow.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hi,Michele. Have you tried to Google,painted pottery turtles? They have a lot,you might find some ideas. Pat
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Feedback desired please!
    My husband (of 10 years, this is a second for both of us) complains regularly & bitterly about my exercising (abandoning him, what's the use anyway, weekends should be his time, just going off to play with my friends blah, blah, blah) & this is something I was doing when we met and throughout. He knows of my health conditions, trying to lose wt, & he himself refuses to join or participate in any joint activities.

I need something that will stop this once and for all.
    Thank you, Linda in Calif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Well I am lying in bed relaxing.went to the car show.for about an hour. Wonderful cars,good friends but music to loud.and I had to pee :s didn't want to use a porta potty.so stopped home and went .then I have been craving Sicilian pizza.so I got 2 slices and came home got the dogs outside and now in jammies...Tom just arrived at the house..bless his heart he will go out and have something to eat and get a few groceries...
    Found a Groupon for the air museum and we will go tomorrow afternoon