WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

An elderly couple was in bed one night and the woman woke up from a bad dream. She was scared and panicking.

Her husband awoke and turned the light on to calm her. He asked what was wrong.

She said "I had a dream that I died and you got remarried." She asked him, "If I died tomorrow, would you get remarried?"

He said "Sure, I don’t want to spend the rest of my life lonely."

Then she asked, "Well would you two live in this house?"

He replied "Sure, we just got finished paying off our mortgage."

She asked again, angry now, "Well would she sleep in this bed?"

He snickered and said "Yes, of course, this bed is brand new and expensive, there's no reason to rid of it."

She asked irately, "Well would she use my golf clubs?!"

He replied with a straight, serious face, "No. She's left handed."

:D
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Janet!!!!! Many more "39's" to you!!!! When I quit smoking I remember spending a lot of time in the shower and in bed.......two places where I never smoked. I think I read that the nicotine clears your body in three days. Good luck; it isn't easy. Yes, Gemma got to the dog park tonight.

Jane........Good thoughts to your mom.

Pat........I looked at clothes today after the dr. appt.; didn't find a thing except a floppy hat!

Dr. appt. went fine; he says surgical site looks good; will be just a light thin line in six months.

Terri.......Sounds like you are raising a great kid!!!! A pox on the bully. I'm with Carol ga. never "got" algebra; loved geometry though.

Carey.........Good quote; how true. You find the neatest quotes!!!

Beth..........Snow??????? OMG!

Michele.........You could make the turtle in all shades of green.......from very light to almost green/black......and, you could paint the stones where you set each piece to help show them off too, if not the river rock, maybe get some rounded ones like cobblestones.

Kim..........I am soooooooo glad you have made the decision to get that toxic person out of your life. If I start driving now, I can be there next week! I'll even pick up Dee Dee and Toni as I head West!!!

Heather..........Congrats on that pound!

Yoga tomorrow.............YAY!!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'll comment on exam exemptions. I totally agree with Toni. My high school had what I considered ridiculous exemption policies. You could exempt with a C if you had no absences, a B if you just had one absence, and an A with no more than 2 absences. but if you were failing, you had to take your exams, regardless of your days present or absent. It was sheer craziness. Exams were more like punishment than a measure of what you learned. Then there were classes that had state mandated end-of-course tests, and there were no exempting them, but we still had required graded assignments during exams and they could exempt that with the same criteria of grades and absences. The administration loved the policy because the kids would come to school and our attendance percentages looked good?

When I got to college, I had no idea how to study for a cumulative exam because I had always exempted mine. I was physically ill with anxiety through my first semester of exams.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Cold but no snow today. Totally derailed on my eating. Sigh.

Beth in WNY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride home 2 gym- 11.28min, 15.4amph, 2.9mi = 100c
    stair stepper machine - 30min, 165floors, 2500steps 1.43mi = 229c
    ride gym 2 dome = 6.42min, 12.8amph, 1.4mi = 65c
    ride dome 2 hm - 18min, 9.4amph, 2.8mi = 176c
    total cal 570
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's almost 11 PM and both the 3 & 5 yr old are still wide awake. DH bought a queen sized air mattress we thought would be a good idea for sleeping in the den after watching some cartoons. Bad idea! Wish I had a king sized bed and we could all cuddle there. That's what they do at home.

Janet, so glad you had a wonderful birthday.

As for exempting students from exams...I've never heard of that. The only thing that we were forced to do was never give a student a grade below a 50 when calculating the end of semester grades. My DIL was exempt from her last year of high school because of high test scores and became a college Freshman instead. Finished her masters by age 21.

Had a lot of pizza tonight so won't even try to add in to my log.

Carol ~ GA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Took an hour of the deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do these challenges that I got on another site

katla - for the turtle, right now I'm leaning towards a red/white/blue cominbination. Still not sure, tho Fourth of July is during the summer, so he'll be somewhat approprate. Well, right now I'm working on a snail. His shell will be in different parts, one will be this citrus burst which is a yellow and when it's fired then these orange bits burst open, an organge, and a yellow. I don't remember what I have the body scheduled to do. Of course, right now it'll take a while for me since I can't get to ceramics every day. I think the body is going to be different shades of brown

Finished the tree skirt. Now I just need to put the saf-t-bak on it. Really, that isn't so necessary since it'll be on carpet. I used this on a rug to prevent it from slipping. However, this stuff will help to keep the stitches in place. Update: Got that on, and now it's drying in the downstairs bedroom. I do need to get more. I read on the net that Michael's has it so I'll see how much it is and wait for a coupon from them

Joyce
    - you know, I saw a neon paint at the ceramics studio and was thinking "that'd be cool on the snail" but the lady there said that they haven't had much success with the neon colors. Oh, painted toenails....kewl. I'm the same way when someone has me on hold. I don't put them on speakerphone, but I do go about working while keeping the phone next to my ear

Cockney
    - welcome! Never heard of Tesco Diets. Tell us more about it. Was it something you had to pay extra for?

Heather
    - how wonderful that you lost another pound

terri - congratulations to your son for his mature attitude and especially to you for raising such a fine guy

pip
    - "just say no to drugs"...does that mean that I can't have a red, white and blue turtle with red toenails???? We've had three of our cats go for the radioactive isotope treatment for the thyroid. It's helped all of them. I agree, I've been on the stair stepper and the one that was like a set of moving steps, I didn't even work up a sweat on that stairstepper. Won't be doing that again soon

Janet
    - I'll probably made another "critter" depending if I can find something that I like that's "colorful". We've had the pool for 3 seasons, now

Jane
    -prayers for your mom

terri - thanks for asking your p.t. about the side planks. To me, putting one leg in front of the other makes a more stable base. Interesting.....

DeeDee - have fun tonight!

Went to a play with the Newcomers tonight, saw (I probably don't have the names right) Sonya, Vasha, Masha and Spike. It was funny, but I didn't find it real knee slapping.

Michele in NC
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Kim - Since you are the cook, you get to set the day and time. Just remember I am used to eating on Central Daylight Time.

Yanniejannie - I'll be watching for you to come get me for the trip out west.

A friend and I made a pact to go to our 50th HS reunion in 2017. She lives in Washington state. I think I would really rather meet up with all of you gals if I had a choice. A big part of me wants to leave the past behind. Right now I am loving living in the present. It is pretty darn good - thanks in great part to this journey will you.

Have a good night.

Toni in Tennessee where storms are predicted for our Music City Marathon Saturday
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Carol Ga..........Are the Kids asleep yet? Wish I was!!! YourDIL must be brilliant!

Toni.......I am with you on putting the past behind. My h.s. And church were very "clique" heavy, many people I don,t care to ever see again in a large group. Have remained friends with those I do care about.

Yanniejannie....wide awake in the lazyboy
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Allison - enjoy the car show in memory of your friend. It sounds like you will have a busy day.

Jane - we will be praying for you and your Mom. I hope you get over the virus. (((Hugs)))

Pip - I'm sorry to hear about Bullwinkle, I hope that the meds help her to feel better.
    (((Hugs)))

Lesley - your celebration of your service people sounds very honoring to them. I am glad that you share the culture of Tasmania with us.

Kim- I think you miss counted there will be about 30 of us transporting there if Sylvia can make that contraption!

Janet - thanks for sharing your Birthday fun with us! Your DH definitely took you to a very nice place for dinner. Your meal sounded delicious.
    Barbie - thanks for sharing the cauliflower soup recipe with us. It sounds delicious. My DH is the cook in our family. He owned his own restaurant for 18 years. I will ask him to make it for us.

Yanniejannie - I'm glad that your Dr apt went well! A little line is great news.

Drkatiebug - isn't this the end of your first week? Are you feeling more comfortable now that you are in the swing of things? I miss teaching!

Carol - I don't think 3 & 5 year Olds sleep! Then they usually will wake you up at 5 am. It sounds like you are having a great time with them! Too bad the queen mattress didn't work. Our DGS'S busted 2 of them! jumping and walking around on them. We got a 4 inch memory foam queen size that we put on top of the blow up now which makes it like a real bed.

Michele - after your tree skirt dries you will have to take a picture. Your snail sounds colorful. I wish I had places to go to do arts and crafts. I use to and miss that. Nothing like that up here.

Toni - hopefully the weather will hold off for your marathon tomorrow. I told Kim to expect about 30 of us if Sylvia can make that contraption!

I had a great night with my DH. It was date night. We went out to eat and a movie. We saw The Golden Woman, pretty good. Love my husband!

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, you need to take advantage of the time when your husband is on his trip and take care of Allison. have a friend over and paint your toenails and giggle together. Just do something. Hope he has a safe and productive trip.

Terri Milwaukee, I admire your very mature young adult. I'm sure most of it comes from the parenting. Sounds like you all have a good and open relationship.

Janet Myrtle Beach, how about 3.2 pounds now!!!! It's a workin. I finally told my husband tonight how much I had gained. He thinks I should settle to stay at 175. I said nope, I want to get lower than that. I know I will never be a model, but I have a lot of fat to come off. Happy birthday, sounds like you had a fabulous time.

Jane, sorry about your Mom. How old is she? Is this her first episode of a fib? You get better so you can see her. I'm sure she wants and needs you as much as you want to see her.

Well I read the different links about Prime, doesn't look like it is available to everyone yet, especially out of country. I couldn't do without all the database and you guys. Yes, I will pay for it. Today my sister and I went over all the stuff that came out of my china cabinet. It had all been on the table, now part of it is on the breakfast bar and the other on the table. Breakfast bar things are things to ask my kids if they want. If they don't want them I have to decide what is antique store and what is consignment shop. Some may go into future yard sale like my Christmas things. I then need to wait until my brother comes with his antique china cabinet to see which one of my china sets I keep. I have my own and my Grandmas, my Dad's Mom. My china cabinet has slots so that my plates can stand up. Since they are BIG plates I really need that. If the other cabinet is not deep enough for my things, I will give them to my daughter if she wants them. She can be a pack rat and I don't want to encourage that. I'll be glad to get both my table and breakfast bar back. If I could make a decision about what all the papers I used to do our taxes, I could make room on the table for everything there. Tomorrow is supposed to be heavy storms, and he is predicting real heavy. Here in the Ohio valley at this time of year we can get some doozies. It's been a couple of years since we had a tornado.

So whenever whoever is making this transporter thing, we need to really put it to work. I would love to go to Tasmania to see the country, We could all be transported to Michele's house at Christmas time to see her Christmas light show, Katla's and go sailing, Heather's for a book reading/signing, Kim's for a gourmet meal, Pip's house well just to see Pip, Janet's house to go to Myrtle Beach. Oh, think of the possibilities. Maybe we need to borrow Dr. Who's Tardis!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce - you're up late too! I loved watching Dr Who!

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Uggh I have a bladder infection.. just what I need.. of course it happens on a saterday.. and with our insurance it is a 600.00 at the hospital.. so I have to rope the dr working today at the office into writing me a perscription.. he better do it, or I will have to slap him around a bit. DH got up at 4 this morning and will get down to oru place in Florida at around 5-6 tonight...
    well I am off and running, have to take the dogs for a walk and then get to work.. talk with ya'll later <3
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Janet, hope you have a wonderful day.

Pip well done on reaching ONE THOUSAND! Not everyone can manage that!!

Welcome, CockneyLady.

Heather, I received the book on Thursday as expected but have not had time to read much yet. Will try to read a bit more today.
    Really don’t fancy the nettle soup despite there being lots of them around where I live!

Beth, I can’t remember us even having ANY snow this year (thank goodness) I don’t like it unless I am warm inside and looking at it through the window. I was sure because of the amount of berries on all plants that it was signifying a bad winter, bit far for your birds to fly here for them lol!

Jane, sending prayers and hugs for you while mum is in hospital xx

Carey – love the thought for the day, improving tomorrow sounds good to me! Save me a space on the transporter to Kim’s for dinner please!

Toni – glad you got to play bingo even if last one, but is it good being a ‘senior’? Wow a winner as well!!!

Mary – hope phone comes soon and enjoy your date night , gosh I am late again, you have been and sounds as if you did have a good time.

Grandmaillie – I am exhausted just reading all you are going to do today, hope you enjoy everything . Bladder infection is just what you did not need. Good luck in slapping the doctor into giving you a prescription for medicaiton.

Joyce – what a wonderful idea to take over Dr Who’s TARDIS. I often think I need that when catching all my trains and buses to Birmingham. And for Grandmaillies DH it would save so much time and worry for both of them.

My DS has had a couple of days off (I have still had to work ) and he went to visit his gran (my mum) then took his brother and girlfriend to visit their dad’s grave as it will be the first anniversary of his passing next month. We divorced about ten years ago after being apart for about eight years. So although we had some good times together (and four sons) I do not feel the same sense of loss that they do. They took flowers now, as they know his widow and her family, will want to be there on the day. Although they get on with her, they wanted a bit of private time to say their goodbyes.
    I have not managed to go swimming since tues am, so must go tomorrow and hopefully one morning next week.
    I will be off to Birmingham again next Friday, and then on Sunday we travel up to Lincoln (where I have never been before), so I am looking forward to the break. It will be a Bank Holiday on Monday as well so should be lots to see and do.
    I am enjoying hearing all about different places in the world where you lovely ladies live, but have still got so much of the British Isles that I have not explored yet. I have been to the Isle of Wight, which was lovely, but have not been to Isle of Man, Ireland or Lindesfarne.
    Best wishes to everyone
    Gilly, Suffolk Uk

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Michele: love your ceramics; they will look great outdoors! The glaze is impressive. I know how hard it is to get it even and it sure looks even.

Mary: please post the belly button pictures!

Alison: hang in there! Job still sounds promising. So sorry about the bladder infection. I’ve never had one but I hear they’re so painful.

Sylvia: lovely that the kids were so happy with the simple, good food and love.

Heather: you sound so happy; glad for you!

Jane: how is your mom? Thinking of you.

DeeDee: hope you had a good night out.

Probably missed someone, but I’ve been gone for a couple of days and had a lot to read through. We were staying with friends for a couple of days; it really did me good to get out and relax. (Wish the "good" would last!)
    Also went to the dog’s chiropractor, who said the stiffness in his neck (cramped muscle) could very well be because of the unbelievable noise of the renovations above us. Poor dog; I can’t do much except massage his back and neck.

Pic is of him shaking after coming out of their pond.

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
    5v4f11mdcfg6.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    o:) We have weather here that is nice enough for working in the yard, but I have a great picture from a few years ago on April 23 of the poodles with their new short spring haircuts, standing in the snow.

:'( I was expecting to have the day to myself and then late yesterday Jake got a phone call to tell him that the retreat he was going to today had been cancelled because the leader was ill. A few minutes later we got a call from friends wanting to come for a visit so instead of having the day to myself, I'll have company. I am blessed to have a husband who thinks spending the day with me is the best treat and blessed to have friends who want to spend time with us. I am also blessed that these friends don't care about my casual housekeeping and won't be coming for a meal.

o:) I was in bed before 7:30 and am up early to enjoy walking the dogs in the dark and dawn when no one else is out and about.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - the house, pond and dog look idyllic! Glad you had a bit of a break! :flowerforyou:

Gilly - Lincoln is beautiful. The cathedral breathtaking! (Joyce, where's that ipad?)

Jane - still sending good vibes to you and your mum. <3

Alison - I know all about those bladder infections. Poor you. :'(

I am trying to do a little bit of publicity every day. Small steps. Even one email is better than nothing.

DH is in a state today because it is the penultimate match of the season and currently his team are top. If they continue to win they will be in the Premier League next season. The match starts in 10 minutes. He is glued to the internet. Next weekend is the last game, which he will travel to. It is 105 mins each way.
    I must tiptoe about today. :ohwell:

My DS#2 and family get back from their holiday in St Lucia today. :bigsmile: Back to a house full of builder's rubble! ! ! !
    Got to get on with the cake for DGS' s birthday as I am away some of next week, seeing DS#1 in Nottingham. Time seems to have flown by.
    We had a bit of rain last night, but I would love more. DH doesn't want it to rain tomorrow because it is cricket.

Lots of love to all. Heather in green Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Cynthia lovely, idyllic.

Jane prayers for your mom.

Going out with friends tonight for dinner and a choral concert.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Good morning! The sun is shining and the sky is blue!

Sorry I haven't been commenting much ... just wallowing in my own problems ... done with that! I have been reading!

Beth in Western New York
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good morning. I'm having such bad allergies this spring. Worse than last year, for sure. Last night my head was stuffy, my eyes were itching and I had a king sized headache. Went to bed right after we got home from DGS's soccer practice, took allergy meds and conked out. This morning I'm already feeling much the same. Funny how some years are so much better and some are worse.

What is this about a Premium site? I missed it, I guess. Are they going to make us start paying? If we pay, do the ads stop?

I'd love to make that transporter thing, but haven't hot a clue how to do it. I'm all idea and no follow through. I think we should go on a MFP culinary tour of the world! Kim and Heather to start with. Oh, and we could go visit each other's dogs, horses, cats and grandchildren too. What fun that would be!

This morning is DGS's soccer game, then we are going to the lake to spend the night. Have to make sure my son is ok before we go. I don't know how I can possibly go to Spain in two weeks. I'll be worried sick about him and the kids.

I got up this morning and found ants all over the kitchen countertop. It's really hard to see ants on black and white streaked granite, but the pattern was moving, so either it was ants or I'm having a stroke. Hubby sprayed last week, too. It was mostly around the sink, coming out of the trim around the window. I hate to spray in the kitchen, so I'll have him spray around the window on the outside and see if it helps.

I saw a hummer yesterday. We have a plant that has skinny red tube-like flowers that is taking over the deck, and the hummers love it. It's not honeysuckle but it's similar. A vine of some kind. Years ago my son gave me a cutting from a plant that was growing at a house he was living in, and it didn't do much for about 5 years. We thought it was dead a few times. Then it started going gangbusters. Hubby cut it back in the fall, but that just seems to have made it mad. Now it's bushier than ever. Hummers also love our Rose of Sharon bushes, but they had a hard time last year and haven't bloomed yet this year.

t5vpd0x5kyai.jpg

Well, I have to get ready. Have a great Saturday (or Sunday for you, Leslie)!

Sylvia