WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Come and join us CockneyLady2! This thread is one of the best places in cyberspace!

Sylvia - so glad you/your son are/is chasing up some help. :flowerforyou: I found it hard to believe that there wasn't something out there for him. Over here the system is hard to negotiate and you have to be persistent, but it is there and the charities can help you through the process. It's a steep learning curve, as one of my old friends is finding out with her aged mother. She has now managed, by much persuasion and work, to get her qualified for various levels of financial assistance for the nursing home she has just gone to. I take my hat off to the love and dedication you have shown to those wonderful grandchildren. You are a star! <3

Kim - the book is available on Amazon both as a paperback and on kindle. I would love you to read it. :flowerforyou: I read it right through myself last night, (it's quite short) , trying to see it as a reader. I was happy with it, though some bits did make me wince! ! ! :laugh: Todsy I thought of a few more outlets to try to get some publicity. That is a job in itself and not my natural bent. :ohwell: Different skills and mindset required.

The nice thing about doing all this is that quite a few old friends who were just Christmas card correspondents have got back in touch and I have had long emails updating me on their lives. I will meet up with one of them soon in London, so that's lovely. :D Another old friend in France has got in touch and may make a trip over. I love old friends. :bigsmile:

Joyce - I'm having some more nettle soup for lunch! :laugh:

Pip - do you eat masses? You must have to do a lot of refuelling! :flowerforyou: ???

My happy news today is that I have lost another pound! ! ! ! ! ! ! As most of you know, I am at target, so this is more or less fine tuning, but I would quite like to see a round 60 lbs lost on my ticker! :laugh: If I am truly 5ft 5ins, (too scared to check), my current weight would make my BMI 22.9 or 23, depending on what site I am using. :D
    I am delighted that I haven't turned to food or drink during this stressful couple of weeks with little sleep. I am sleeping ok again now. :)

Lots of love to all.

Heather in still dry Hampshire UK. I want rain, which is forecast for the weekend. :happy:
    27681614.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Back again!

Kim - I just wanted to come back and say how impressed I am with you doing all this work on getting all these toxic people out of your life and getting the life you really want. Isn't it strange how weight loss (and exercise) can have results far beyond the way we look. Our self esteem and ability to assert ourselves grows in leaps and bounds. I know you are working with a therapist so you are getting all the benefits. :flowerforyou: I lost a long standing phobia when I lost the weight and I do believe the exercising has proved to me I can have a new lease of life, even after 65! ! ! ! ! Hence the book. :bigsmile:
    Anyway, just wanted to come back with a big WELL DONE, This is your time! :love:

Heather x x x x x x
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    DD sent this....sorry if already posted. Looks like MFP is going to pay for use. :s Pat

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1940211
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I had not seen that, Pat. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I would be willing to pay when they can't even figure out my problem with Chrome that nobody else seems to have.

If extra features are worth it, I might be tempted to upgrade since I do love this site, but I hope we don't lose any of our current features unless we pay for them. And that's a big if depending on the cost.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It's raining again here this morning. We are getting saturated. Spring flooding will begin soon if this keeps up.

Did you all see the story in the news about William Shatner starting a Kickstarter campaign to bring water to California from Oregon? I think that's really interesting. Years ago I thought of a similar idea to collect water from areas that are flooding, and piping it to the western states via big pipes located in the medians of the East-West federal highway systems. So, the water would start to rise to flood stage along the Mississippi (or somewhere) and be siphoned off to begin it's journey to California. When it's pumped uphill, it could be powered by pumps using solar or wind, and when the water goes downhill, it could be generating it's own electricity. So the people in the east would be saved from flooding and the people in the west would be saved from drought. And in the meantime, there would be a massive jobs program to do the work and maintain it, so people would have jobs. It made perfect sense to me, but when I told hubby about it, he just rolled his eyes. It's too big. (so what?) It would cost too much. (how much does flooding and drought cost?) What about where it crosses a river? (just design a pipe bridge- give an engineer something to do) He's used to me having wild, hairbrained ideas. I've had a million of them. Later, when he sees somebody else had the same idea and made money from it, he just laughs. Of course, this one wouldn't be a money maker. But still, now that William Shatner has thought something very similar, hubby might just see some value in it. And I get to say I told you so.

CockneyLady, welcome! Come back often and tell us about yourself. Where are you from? What can we call you?

Heather, I'm one that can't think of Nettles without the word Stinging in front of it. I can't imagine eating soup made from it. Where do you even buy nettles? Or do you pick them on the side of the road?

Well, I'm going to try to get something accomplished today. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is your weather lesson of the day. At 4:20 this morning it was lightening and thundering. And at 6:30 this morning the ground is white. And this is what it is called
    GRAUPEL  Definition: Graupel forms when snow in the atmosphere encounters super cooled water. In a process known as accretion, ice crystals form instantly on the outside of the snow and accumulate until the original snowflake is no longer visible or distinguishable.
    The coating of these ice crystals on the outside of the snow is called a rime coating. The size of Graupel is typically under 5 millimeters, but some Graupel can be the size of a quarter (coin).
    To tell the difference between Graupel and hail, you simply have to touch a Graupel ball. Graupel pellets typically fall apart when touched or when they hit the ground. Hail is formed when layers of ice accumulate and are very hard as a result.
    Also Known As: snow pellets, soft hail, small hail, tapioca snow, rimed snow, ice balls
    The short of it : Hey Mother Nature are you going through Menopause or what !!!!

Cindy in SoMD – congratulations on reaching the 20 lbs down.

Heather in UK – Nettle soup. Interesting – I have Nettles in my garden – not by choice of course, let us know how it turns out. Oh .. as I read on I see your thoughts on it. Ummm. And congratulations on not turning to food during your book stress and maintaining you loss. GREAT work!!

Pip…. Yeah and today you are at 1000 days in your streak!! AWESOME.

Sylvia – it is so much fun to have the grandkids over. It’s our opportunity to “play”. And it is great you found the nice lady who told you about her lung transplant.

Hey everyone feeding the hummungbirds… don’t feed them too much they need to carry on North to my place!! The geese are here already and have been since mid March (silly birds…too early)

Michele – I like ladybugs, yours is beautiful!!

Kim – as we grow, we need to change our direction. Change is sometimes hard to do, but sounds like you realize that you need to find different people to help you grow. We never stop growing, but some people just do the status quo, and others – like you – move on. Sounds like you will be much happier in your new book club. AND yes – I will be there for dinner on Tuesday – I love it when someone else cooks!!! Oh I wish I could be there.

Barbie - creamy cauliflower potato coconut soup – now that is a mouthful!!! How was it?

Oh I hope we don’t have to pay for MFP… 

Okay – I am caught up… I will try check in on the weekend. Better finish packing for the Scrapbooking weekend

Take care everyone, (((hugs))) to all.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

April goals:
    Walk 100 miles, 20 days over 10000 steps update – 87 miles /14 days over 10,000. falling behind on this
    Strength training 3x’s per week update – walking with weights
    Finish personal taxes – done, and done DM’s
    Finish company taxes and purge office filing cabinet – procrastinating really well on this one
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

DH didn't get an overtime shift, so I hope we can do something fun as a family (after baseball practice).

Michele – I will ask about the leg positions during side planks.

Carol – I have had bursitis in my knee since I was a teenager, and it has rarely lasted more than a few months, then goes away, sometimes for many years. I hope PT helps yours bursitis.

Sylvia – thanks for the jokes, and hugs for your grandkids and son. I love your flood/drought idea. I wish it were logical, and hopefully it will be. Makes perfect sense to me, too.

Barbie – I’m also looking forward to hearing more about Jake’s soup.

Kim – good luck with the groups. I’m envious that you have so many opportunities. I am still at the place where DS and DH sports occupy most of my time. About the gourmet cooking: count me in. I still have vacation days, so I’ll be over for dinner.

Drkatiebug – I’m so happy you have a nice class of students. I know you will be able to keep them engaged.

Now, about teaching: when did it become “normal” to exempt kids from tests because they do well on the standardized testing? My 14 y.o. DS apparently did very well last week on the math portion of the MAPS test, so he is exempt from all Algebra 2 tests until Final Exams. Just because he can do trig and calculus without having taken a class doesn’t mean he understands Algebra 2 well enough to not be tested. I feel like he should keep doing everything that everyone else is supposed to do. Next week they take the ACTs and the Principal said in his announcement that it is such an important test for the Ninth graders, because it not only determines which class they take next year, but also if they will be exempt from tests during the next year.

I am also proud of DS for an ethical situation and decision. He has had an adult bully for about 1 month. This man is the “parent volunteer” for the Spring Baseball Open Gym that the boys are encouraged to participate. According to DS, this parent often yells at and demeans just the Freshman. At one scrimmage, the parent had 2 of the seniors from the Varsity team be the captains and pick their teams. DS was chosen first, the parent said “why would you want Payne?” The boy said “because I know how good he is in any position.” The parent then laughed, shook his head, and said “whatever”. To some kids, that would be a shot to his self-esteem, but to my son it was the adult acting immature. DH and I discussed it at length and decided we needed to get another adult, and this parent, then the 3 of us together to make sure this man was aware of how inappropriate that type of bullying is in this environment, especially since this is a parent vs a student. DS said “the kid that picked me is the son of the Varsity Coach, so I’m going to just stick with him ,and let {this adult} bury himself with his bullying.”

I would love to take a class, or tour, or whatever, to learn about mushrooms. In the grocery store I have never met a mushroom I didn’t like. I know people from Minnesota hunt for Morels, and apparently they are delicious, too. Some Day . . . .

Without saying anything to DD about the hummingbird conversation here or a few years ago at home, she sent me a video on facebook of a hummingbird eating out of someone's hand. Beautiful. I guess my sister and Mom are talking to me right now !?!?!

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (don't want to sit outside at a baseball game tonight because it is only 43 degrees outside right now)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cockney Lady: Welcome to a great group. Post often.

Heather: Congratulations on your lost pound, and even more so on getting your book back into print.

Pat: I followed the link and am not thrilled to see this. However, the premium feature doesn’t include advertising if that annoys folks. I won’t upgrade as long as free is available.

Sylvia: Bill Shatner is barking up a dry tree. We are also facing drought conditions. California has been lusting after Pacific NW water for decades and I don’t see any chance that Oregon and Washington are willing or able to part with a drop of water. Diverting floodwaters to drought areas is an interesting idea, however flooding is bad for humans but a necessary part of nature and can be good for the land. When I face it myself, I’ll be whining and unhappy, too. Severe water shortanges could happen this summer on my side of the mountains and IS happening east of the mountains.

Lillian: I suspect your hummingbirds will appear right on time.

Terri: Congratulations to your son for his mature attitude handling an adult bully. I would lodge a formal complaint if I was you.

Yoga today! Yay!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    morning peepheads - well, I did it!! 1000 consecutive logins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BA- BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exermom - you accomplished your goal, however, just say no to drugs. :0)

jmkmomm= me go streaking??? maybe in my drug days LOLOLOL, no 999 of consecutive logging on mfp you silly bird

cityjane- masses? i'm not sure what you mean. i have to make sure that i eat to satisfy how i am feeling if that makes sense. congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!! we are roughly the same BMI. i'm 5'5" too. mine says i'm 22 to 22.5 depending on the site., do i feel competition? lololol

CockneyLady, welcome!

now that i'm on the skinny bike, it doesn't have any fenders, sooooooo if I don't wear any rain gear and it did rain or the road is wet, water will spit up from the tires and then hit my butt. won't necessarily feel it when i'm riding but when I get off the bike, then I realize, oh yeah, no fenders, glad I had my bike shorts under my bike pants (bike pants kinda look like leggings so that soaked up some of the moisture.. lolol.

Kirby (husband) took two of the kids to the vet yesterday. both for their checkups. Yogi (black pup lab) is 14 in people years and is 78.5 lbs!!. Bullwinkle is 78 in people years and we're getting her testing for thyroid condition that I think she has, we will know today, with the blood work and stuff, that was $500 beans. thankfully we have the $ for it.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    oh, I tried using a machine that I hadn't used before, that was a waste. stair-stepper, different than the stair machine where it has revolving steps that you walk up. this one was kinda like stepping in place, felt weird. won't do that one again. :0(
  • cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP after my diet site closes today (Tesco eDiets) I am 50+ and would like to join in is that ok?
    Welcome! I am glad you found this site!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies,

Pip, Happy long streak. You are the bomb! That’s a lotta loggin’ in. Keep it up, you pip. :D

Heather, I now know more about stinging nettle than I need to. Lol My question is, do you wear gloves to pick it? I wouldn’t want you to get stung. It sounds like it is really good for you. I’m glad you liked it even if DH doesn’t. Now, I could get into some sloe gin, if I could hold Pip back. Lol

Carol, I’m glad you asked about Allison’s flying Mom cause I had no clue. Thanks for the explanation, Allison. Sorry DH was such a DH and I don’t mean dear or husband.

Mary, the first few years after I quit smoking, 20 years ago, I used to joke that if I knew I’d only live 6 more months, the first think I’d do is go buy a carton of cigarettes. Now I can tell you, if I get this nicotine out of my system I will never smoke again!!! I still can’t believe I ever started back. I have been Ill as a hornet all day.

Terri, I can’t believe Verizon just disabled email from a certain style phone. And didn’t tell anyone! I have used them for 25 years and stay with them because they have the best reception in my part of the world. I’d be whining, too. Thanks for explaining the side plank. I was wondering what it was, too.

Sylvia, how wonderful that you found the nice lady willing to share all the information with you. Glad DS got to go home. And how fantastic that you don’t have to shampoo the carpets. Plus, you got your deposit $ back. Sounds like a great day all around. Have fun swimming. Both funny jokes. Thanks for always making me smile, if not downright giggle.

Carol, I’m sorry it’s not a quick fix but glad it wasn’t anything more serious. Ever since my back surgery I’ve had bursitis in my hips. Most of the time it doesn’t bother me at all (thank goodness) and once in a while it’s so bad that I can’t even walk. Sorry the PT is so far, but good that you will get it. Hopefully they can give you exercised that will keep it under control.

Yannie, sorry about the “little blah” but I always try to tell myself that those days make the others look even better. I’m sure Gemma didn’t realize she was doing a “no no” when she hit the road. “But, Mom, no dog park????” So mean!! Lol I hope tomorrow is better for you both. ((Hugs))

Beth, enough already is right! I mean a flurry of snow this time of year is one thing, but 1 ½ inches. Good grief.

TNToni, I’ll bet you’ve never even thought about eating nettles after your experience. When I looked it up, because someone wouldn’t tell me what it was (lol) I read about how it stings.

Michele, I do think you are getting there, with wanting some color out around the pool. It is going to look great with your new additions. Will you stop with the 3 or will they maybe invite some friends in the future? I hope you take time in the summer to enjoy that beautiful pool. How long have you had it?

Katie, glad the calculus is coming back to you and that the kids ae nice. I think subbing is the hardest job ever, since so many students think they can do anything they want. I know you’ll do a great job.

Joyce, I know Pip is lots of fun but streaking at her age would be a bit out there. That would be more scandalous than the language in Heather’s book. >:) 2.4 pounds? (or 24? LOL) That is great. Keep on keeping on!!!

Cockney, welcome. You will find this a lovely group of supportive ladies that are also full of information. We are at all different stages of our life journey. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. Come often and join right in.

Heather, I’m glad you were happy with your book when you re-read it. (wincing and all) You know you are your harshest critic. I can’t wait till mine arrives either today or tomorrow. I’m a slow reader so glad it’s not too long. It’s wonderful that it has been a tool for you getting back in touch with old friends.

Pat, I hated to hear about the pay to upgrade on MFP. I’ve seen that with other sites and before you know it, you have to pay to get what is now free. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I am wrong. I was planning on being here with you ladies for years to come.

Sylvia, I haven’t thought of anything as elaborate as yours, but have often wondered why California doesn’t do something about the water problems. I know every solution is expensive, but when does it get too expensive not having water? It would be nice if those with surplus could share with those in need. Being right by a really big pond, I can’t believe they have never followed through with some desalination systems.

Lilian, thank for the weather lesson *I think*. Have a great time this weekend.

Terri, what in the world is wrong with that man who is bullying your DS? You said it’s an adult, but how old is he? It sounds like he has never grown up. How wonderful that your son lets it go and not push his buttons. Does he do this to other kids as well?

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday I went to the store to return a pair of crop pants that I decided I didn't need. (wasn't crazy about the color) I thought another pair of jeans would be more useful. The shirt that I took back was returned for a smaller size, which did fit better. They were having a special for 15% off the entire purchase. Cool beans. The top that I got the day before was full price, so glad it was too big. I am now finished buying clothes. If I go to the store again, I’ll break the bank. DH hasn't even said a word about all my purchases. He’s such a great guy. He is taking me to dinner for my birthday tonight and this morning wanted to know if I would like to go out for breakfast. I said, not if we are still going to dinner tonight. With what I can eat for breakfast, I’d rather fix it at home. Plus, I have to save calories to have a drink tonight. ;)

I hope all you special ladies have a terrific day. <3

The thought for the day:

If we wait
    Until we’re ready
    We’ll be waiting
    The rest of our lives

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sylvia and Lilian ~ Thanks for the science lessons. I had never heard of graupel before. Sylvia, I too have come up with ideas in my head that I later saw come into fruition.

Pip ~ Congrats on hitting 1,000 days of logging.

Terri ~ your son must be very, very good at math. I never ever understood Algebra and have wished I could take it again (at my old age) to see if it finally makes sense. Right now my DIL is on pins and needles because she is so worried about one class she teaches passing the state mandated tests this week. This particular class has a lot of special needs students.

Getting the grand kids this evening for a spend-the-night party. Dad and mom are going to a concert which I am happy about because they very seldom get a date night.

Carol ~ GA
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    good morning!Just got a call mom is on the way to the hospital with chest pain.
    Could use prayers.
    thank hugs jane
  • terri_mom
    Options
    I just spoke to the Personal Trainer about side planks and position of feet. He states that you should keep your feet inline, stacked on each other, rather than staggered. This keeps your core in a staighter line, so you are strengthening as if in a standing position. A body gets twisted if you stand with 1 leg in front of the other, so planks should be done the same way. He considers body mechanics to be more important than length of holding the plank (or any weight lifting you may do).
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sylvia - yes, as Janet put it so well, they are the common stinging nettles, which are flourishing weeds and grow almost anywhere, so I went outside with my rubber gardening gloves on and a plastic carrier bag and picked them from the side of the lane. You just pick the top few leaves.

Janet - they are very good for you and I had another big bowl of soup for lunch. I have decided now that I love it. :laugh: I have two more portions in the freezer. :bigsmile:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, one more time. And a kiss for DH. He deserves it. :)

I've planted out my sweet peas (flowers, not a vegetable) today in expectation of rain soon. ;) They were very pot bound so it was overdue. I hope we don't get any more frosts. My first radishes are nearly ready. :love:

Beth - I can't believe you have snow! ! ! ! ! Hope life cheers up for you soon! :*

Pip - I envy you. If I ate what I felt like there would be no end to it!! ! ! ! ! But I think it's great that exercise means we don't have to deprive ourselves. :flowerforyou:

Jane - just read your post. Sending strengthening wishes your way. :flowerforyou:

Love you all. Heather in the countryside UK
    27681614.png
  • AnnaHendry1
    AnnaHendry1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, I will be turning 60 this June....hope to lose 30 pounds (again) this summer. I've done it in the past, and then something happens to make me lose focus or motivation (last April it was the loss of my oldest sister, who was more like a mother/mentor/best friend to me). So now I need to get back on track (as I eat a piece of Coconut Cream pie my co-worker just brought me). So you can see I need LOTS of motivation.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Janet: Happy Birthday!!!

Pip: 1000 Days - Pip Pip Hurrah!

Terri: If Verizon won't support your phone I'd be telling them that they had better replace it free especially since the phone has the capability of emails.

Sylvia: I'm so glad that you have found someone to be your guide through the beauracracy. You are a great grandma!

Carol NC: I hate it when a doc says it is "just" there is nothing "just" about being in pain!

Kim: Where the heck is a transporter when you need one?

Mary: My family has a well on the farm and they need a pressure tank to get enough water pressure. Has the water pressure always been bad?

Heather: I avoid nettles like the plague, I've been caught by them too many times as a child. Can't imagine eating them, but they certainly don't take any effort to grow. Never thought about eating them. Something to consider.

Cindy: Congrats on the 20 lbs. Woo Hoo!!

Lillian: Graupel? Thanks for the weather lesson...I can do without the actual experience though :bigsmile: Have fun on you scrapbooking weekend!!

Jane: Hugs and prayers!

I put a hold on "The Happiness Project" at the public library. Wow is this ever a popular book. I'm number 17 on the hold list. Thank goodness for e-books!

Thought for the day: “What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.” ~ Ralph Marston

That's what I want to do - improve all of my tomorrows!

Have a great Friday everyone!
    Carey - Edmonton
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Jane - Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

This adult (bullying my son) is the Dad of another baseball player who is 1 grade older than my son. What can be said of a 40-something man who bullies teenagers? I just don't really know. All I do know is that at the beginning there were 18 freshmen showing up for his practices, and now there are only 3, and they all claim that they are yelled at and insulted (even the 3 that are still going). If the Varsity coach's kid is still going, this will all be worked out with natural consequences, and my son will have a nice, older friend in the coach's son.

Carol - I hope everything works out for your DIL and her class. Special needs requires a special gift, and deserves to be rewarded properly. I high-5 her just for her
  • pipcd34
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cityjane - I don't actually eat what I feel like. I eat when my body feels like it needs the fuel.. I still don't eat fast food, sodas (haven't had that in forever!) and your standard junk food. I eat a lot of the same stuff on a weekly basis, especially during the week. you would think I would get sick of eating the same thing for breakfast and dinner every day, but so far so good and not sick of it. my husband has a saying that I love but some people may think of as gross, "fills a hole makes a turd" LMAO!! my food does the job, satisfies me and gives me what I need