WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce - my niece is a nurse and she just got over shingles. it is not supposed to be contagious but, my brother got it right after one of the residents and his foster home had it. Good job with getting the tree put away! I didn't get mine put a wait until sometime in March.

Allison - great news about the job opportunity! it's nice that those windows appear when we need them.

Michelle in NC - wow that praying mantis is beautiful! I love the colors. patriotic turtle that sounds cool! I have a lot of trouble using some of the tools on MFP. I can't get the ticker on my phone, computer, or even my Kindle. they don't know why. I could see if it was just one of those devices but all three of them! Putting pictures online might be disastrous for me.

Carol - I hope you get good news about your shoulder. let us know how your appointment goes.

Selena - you will have to let us know the title of your book so we can check it out.

Lillian - it's amazing how we do things to our bodies and don't even know. you must have bumped your toe. it sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. Have fun!

Carrie - glad to hear that you are starting to feel better!

Pip - I will text you next time and you can make the call for me! Just so you know, you have taught me to measure and count my food. When I eat my pistachios I count out 50. I found that number out by counting all of the pistachios in the bag and dividing them into 16 servings! it said one half cup so I had to figure out how much that was and how accurate it was. it was pretty dead on!

Katla - you are probably right about the commercial account. he does work for Sysco. it's not under there account but we get a discount because of working for them. have fun with your friend exercising. I love going swimming with my DSisIL.

Terri - I know what a normal plank is but, I don't know what a side plank is. I will have to look that up. I have been thinking of restarting the plank that I used to do because I am starting to theStronglifts 5x5 in my lower back when I do the deadlift. I have backed off the amount of weight that I do on the deadlift. I know that the plank really made a difference in my back strength.

Heather - you amaze me with your cooking skills. your DGS's cake sounds wonderful! he is going to love it!

Sylvia - your son and your grand children are fortunate to have you and your D H. I hope everything goes well for your son and he get out of the hospital soon.

Naomi - have fun at the convention!

Vicki - what is the recipe for your weed killer? Sounds a lot better then the poison that they sell at the store.

Janet - I did threaten the telephone company but it didn't matter. at least I am getting the new phone you're right about that! congratulations on your 1.5 loss! I had to quit smoking cold turkey 5 years ago when I married my DH he has asthma n allergies so just being around the smoke was bad for him. I do plan on starting again when I'm 90! That is if my DH is not around.

Pip - you're going to have a lot to celebrate tomorrow!

Carol in GA - I have some issues with my plumbing as well. I don't think our well water is under enough pressure. our hot water just dribbles out in a small stream. the cold is much better. Glad that you're issues have been taken care of! I don't think that there is a single phone company that is perfect especially up where we live. we were thinking of getting those disposable phones after my husband retires.

I haven't seen my new phone yet. She said it might not come until Saturday since it was so late yesterday when they finally decided to let me have a new one. I don't think Federal Express delivers on Saturday here though so I will probably have to wait until Monday.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Allison - LOVE the blue heron story. I do believe our beloved come to us when we need them. I'm so happy you had one recently.

Okay, I'm tired of this cell phone situation. I think Verizon got a big bug up their bu++s recently. I was suddenly unable to access my e-mail from my smartphone (the only thing I use it for besides text and poor quality pictures). So after 3 weeks, I finally called tech support today. They told me that Verizon has disabled e-mail function from my style of phone, so if I want e-mail, I need to upgrade to a better phone. It's been 3 weeks. Why didn't someone tell me this? There are numerous groups that my son is part of that only e-mail or twitter (these teenagers are so spoiled). Now I need a new phone before we leave for Chicago for the Junior Gold Tournament in July.

Ok, finished with my soap box.

Mary - I have been told at the Clinic where I work now that shingles is only contagious as chicken pox to a person who has not had chicken pox. Personally, I find this more confusing, but also more settling for an adult (or child) that has had chicken pox. A person can get shingles any time, not from someone else, but it is most common when under stress, immune suppressed, or as we get older. // I learned the side plank from DS's personal trainer. I lie on my side, propped up on my elbow, with bottom leg at right angle, and lift my hip off the floor. My goal is to eventually be strong enough to have only feet and hands on the floor, and lift my entire body. Same with the front plank; I am only strong enough now to be on knees and elbows, but I will keep at it until I can be in a complete "push-up" position on the floor. All these years of protecting the bad disc in my back, and all the joints that hurt from the RA, it is an uphill battle, that I plan on winning! B)

Time to wrap things up at work so I can break the news about my phone to DH. I guess we'll spend Saturday at the Verizon store.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Janet, Molly bites. She is not kid friendly at all. She is beautiful and soft but has very sharp teeth. Of course, locking her up when the kids come does not make her like them any better. I really need to get a dog trainer to work with her, (and Spot) once my life settles down. I hope my life settles down. I used to sit out on the deck, very still, wearing a brightly colored shirt, and the hummers would come and check me out. They were so close I could feel the wind from their wings on my face. It was amazing.

My son got out of the hospital this afternoon and is back home. I dropped off the kids after school, telling them we just needed to stop by the apartment to pick up some more clothes, and there he was in the lobby. There was a lot of squealing and happiness. Big surprise for them. He's still very tired and it will be a few days before he's really functioning. I bought the kids a pizza for dinner so he didn't have to worry about that.

By the way, he handed me a check for the deposit money! The apartment manager said not to worry about the carpet, and it was clean enough, so we are done!!!! Yippee!!!! I honestly thought we would not see that money again.

Tonight is the final night of swim lessons. On the last night it's "family night" and there are no actual lessons, and the parents can come and swim with the kids to see what they have learned. And we get their grade cards. So, I'm getting wet tonight! Oh boy. The kids are excited.

I'm on a internet group for the Alpha 1 disease thing, and there are occasional messages that come in my in-box. Today there was a message from a lady who mentioned in passing that she had a lung transplant 15 years ago. Well, I e-mailed her and asked some questions and she kindly answered with all kinds of great information and suggestions. I know know where to look for a better doctor, and where to apply for help with housekeeping, and all about the transplant process and the after effects of that. We e-mailed back and forth all day, which I relayed to my son. Sometimes you find really nice people in this world. Much like this group of ladies here!

Well, time to squeeze into my swim suit! Have a great evening!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's jokes of the day:

:)

In a Classroom the teacher asks; Maria, go to the map and find North America

MARIA: Here it is.

TEACHER: Correct. Now class, who discovered America?

CLASS: Maria.

:D

A very loud Texan Engineer was visiting Australia, and talking big about all of the large civil works in the USA that he was involved in. To be polite his Australian counterpart took him on a tour of some of Sydney's larger constructions.

First he took him to Gladesville Bridge. The Texan exclaimed, "What's that!" In reply the Australian said, "That's the Gladesville Bridge".

"Hmmph" said the Texan, "How long and how many men did it take to build?" The Australian replied, "About 5 years with 1000 men."

The Texan replied, "Well in Texas we would've done it in 2 years with 500 men."

Next they went to the Sydney Opera House. "What's that" said the Texan. "That's the Sydney Opera House" was the reply.

"Hmmph" said the Texan, "How long and how many men did it take to build?" The Australian replied, "About 10 years with 200 men."

The Texan replied "Well in Texas we would've done it in 4 years with 200 men."

By this stage the Australian was a little put out by the Texan's attitude so he decided to get some revenge, they walked around the Sydney Opera House and as they did the Sydney Harbor Bridge came into view.

Immediately the Texan exclaimed, "Wow! What's that?"

The Australian Engineer replied, "I don't know, it wasn't there yesterday."

:D
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening! A quick update...I have mixed feelings about my shoulder diagnosis. It's "just" bursitis. Now, I'm glad that it was nothing truly serious, but I really wanted it to be something that could be fixed. He said that it's possible that I have a small tear in my rotator cuff. I am to take Aleve and go to physical therapy, and he gave me another steroid shot. I go back in 6 weeks if it's not all better by then. Because I get free care through the UNC Health System, I will be driving to another town (about 25 miles/40 minutes) for my physical therapy. Not the happiest of scenarios, but better than not having the therapy because I can't pay for it. I will talk to the physical therapist about what I can do as far as weight lifting and body weight exercise.

Carol in NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday today.
    Training is JJ's Bikini boot-camp I, JJ's Circuit B and this afternoon walk dog for an hour in plantation
    Reading Tom's book and for 1700 cals I need:
    30% fat = 56.7 cals, 40% protein = 170 cals, carbs 30% = 127 cals.
    This is for FAT loss for may 98 day Challenge.
    Today: Fat = 44, Carbs = 181, protein = 121. I need to UP protein and lower the carbs and train well (723 today. The FAT has to be all GOOD fats. So adding Chia seeds, fish oil etc. need to sort this out SOON.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. Have caught up on reading; not much to say, just a little blah. Went to dinner with Gwen tonight; prime rib special that she likes. I just had a double order of green beans with mine and water to drink. Weather is good highs 60's for the coming week, lows upper 40's then some 50's.

Gemma made a great escape from the yard today (loose gate had blown open) and I ended up chasing her down the street, so NO dog park this afternoon for her.

Took no notes soooo here's what the misfiring brain remembers.........

Loved the hummer pic!!! Put my feeder up 2 days ago; late for me, I know.

Vicki........What are you gonna do with all those days off???? Take a breather, lol.

Carol nc......I was scared to death when DD had a suspected PE. Glad you made such a good recovery. Sorry about the bursitis but glad you are getting treatment.

Sylvia........YAY for both your son being home and the new source of info!!!! Also the check for deposit!!!

Michele..........Loved your ceramics!!! Gorgeous!

Welcome newbies!!!

Carey.........Glad you are getting better!

Katla....We only get the red throated ones I think. If I have mold, I let them soak in a bleach solution before scrubbing with the hot water.

Toni.......Great hummer story. I have a friend I give hummer themed gifts to.

Tomorrow I return to the surgeon for what I hope is the last time.

Best to everyone
    G'nite,
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy026.gifMichele, I love the praying mantis and the ladybug and the turtle

smiley-happy026.gifSylvia, glad to hear the various bits of good news about your son and grandkids.

smiley-happy026.gifI read everything in a hurry but I love being with all of you.

smiley-happy023.gifJake fixed lunch today---creamy cauliflower potato coconut soup. It's a low sodium meatless recipe to fit his new way of eating. It was a lot of work but he seemed to have fun.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif23,000 steps today--three hours of dog walking, line dance class, an hour on the exercise bike194904olsgis3xqe.gif

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Got confused on where I stopped reading, so am going backwards! If I missed something please bare with me…. So I read back a few pages, comments below, I have been crazy busy at work, and am making some major changes in my thinking…. Changes that might seem small to others; but big for me, and making changes is exhausting… So I tried a new book club and really liked it, now need to get the book for next month, plan is to drop my existing one which really is more a social club than a book club and it is all about one members agenda… and her agenda is not helpful to me. The new book club is intellectual and that was a need/challenge that was not being filled for me, so this is good. I still want a community of folks, but think I need to find that separate of book club and my gourmet club. Gourmet takes the summer off so the last meeting is in June at my house, then a summer break, and I am going to email over the summer and drop out, there are just 4 of us and one is just plain toxic – one is just wanting to make excuses so everyone will be happy…just not enough there for me. I am not sure how I will fulfill my love of cooking for people but maybe you each could come for dinner once a month… 30 days – 30 visits??????????

Katla – I am so glad to hear you learned to take care of yourself, and thanks for the reminder that we each need to do the same.

Carol – I found a bookclub via meetup and went tonight – What an amazing, nice group of ladies! It was an over 50 woman’s book club; and they want to discuss the book, not get in each others business; but a group of them meet before to have a light dinner and do the social thing…
    As for your shoulder, just take it day by day, and keep being thankful!

Syliva – kudo’s to DH for the “call me grandpa” Glad you found some help from another internet community – there is so much good in the world, that doesn’t get the “press” it deserves.
    That is a great picture of a thin, pretty, friendly woman…. Take care of you along with DS and DGC! What a load.

Terri – love the info on the side and ½ plank…. I am miserable at a plank just not strong enough or committed enough to do a bit each day.

Mary – regarding water pressure, if the cold is fine, but the hot is an issue, it is probably not the well, but the hot water heater, when mine did that the hot water heated died soon after… might want to get it checked.

Michele the preying Mantis is so cute!

Heather – is your book out as a book or just an e-read?

Selena – love the hummies! What a great pic!!!

April goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – went to Hakone gardens it is a beautiful Japanese garden established in 1917 and just amazing.
    Week 2 – easter (?)
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Started the day with 1-1/2" of new snow ... Enough already! Wish I could say the day got better...

Going to bed early.

Will try again tomorrow.

Beth in WNY
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Evening all -

Sylvia - so glad your son is home. Sounds like you made a good contact!

Kim - I'd love to come for dinner anytime!

Barbie - hubby's soup sounds yummy.

Janet - I thought since Terri wins so many contests she must have a "special gift". Thought a little luck might rub off.

Heather - The only experience I have with nettles is one miserable afternoon I got into some while playing in the woods with my cousins. Had on short shorts and sat in a great big patch. Boy did they sting and make me miserable. Are those the kind you cooked? How do you pick them without being "stung"?

Beth in NY - NOOOOOOO! Tell Mother Nature she can keep her snow until next winter!

Good night all

TNToni
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.30min, 16.7amph 2.9mi = 96c
    jog- 33.18min, 2incline 5.5-5.7speed for 2mi, 3incline 5.7-5.9speed for 1.1mi, 10.45ap, 5k = 307c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.39min, 14.7amph, 1.3mi = 77c
    ride dome 2 tan- 19.33min, 8.9amph, 2.9mi = 168
    ride tan 2 hm- 5.39min, 10.6amph, 1mi = 55c
    total cal 703
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good evening every one. No phone today. It should be here tomorrow hopefully.

Terri - I think we are at the mercy of the phone companies!

Carol - bursitis is better than a tear. My 90 yr old DMIL had that and it cleared up in a couple of weeks with ice, rest and ibuprofen and Tylenol. You are lucky you have coverage.

Lesley - your work out and food dedication is inspiring! Are you training for a bikini competition? You are remarkable.

Sylvia - yea! Your DS is home, paid you back, and swimming with the DGK's you are so fortunate! Thanks for the jokes.

Yanniejannie - your dog made sure that you got your exercise done today! Great dinner choices. Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you then.

Barbie -so, how was the soup?

Kim- I never thought of the water heater! We did have to replace the elements this year. I'll have my DH check it out.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Mel - welcome

Carol in NC - hmmm...purple, pink, lime green, and orange. Sounds interesting (and colorful) Those are colors in the preying mantis! His eyes are purple, his body is pink, his legs are green, and his shoulders are orange.

Volunteered at the Green Room then came home and put down some grass seed. Vince was sure we had enough hay...we don't

pip - they're going to be celebrating Tuesday the people who had birthdays during the month of April and I'm planning to make these brownies that I now this one guy whose birthday it was in April likes. Maybe I should "add" something????? What a ride you do!

Sylvia - your grandchildren are so lucky to have you

Vicki - the ceramics place is with the Hickory Dept. of Rec. They provide the paint, clear coat (if you need it), the kiln, everything. They do have brushes you can use, but you're better off with your own. Hope you find some place. Yes, please tell me about the weed killer. I'd like something that isn't poisonous. What are the measurements?

pip
    - MFP just put me back to day 2 of my streak

Janet - our pool is open 24/7, so come on by.... The orange on the shoulders came out streaky. I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing. Maybe I took a gal who told me to go light on the paint a little too literal. This time around, for the first coat, I'm going to be putting it on thicker. Like when you paint walls, the first coat soaks into the wall. Maybe that's what happens. The next two coats I'll try to be smoother. And I think I'll only have them fire it twice.

Talking about the side planks, does anyone know what the advantage (if there is one) or disadvantage of not keeping your legs stacked on top of each other but rather having one in front of the other?

terri - that stinks that you have to get a new phone

Sylvia - how wonderful that your son is home! And what a surprise for the kids

Thank you everyone for your kind words about my preying mantis and ladybug. I really need color out by the pool (its all riverrock by it). Do you think I accomplished my goal??????

Michele in NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Popped out of the Calculus book long enough to skim posts and say hi. I can't believe how rusty my skills are, but they are coming back slowly but surely. The kids are nice and seem to be appreciative of my efforts.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet: I’m glad your daughter got a job closer to home. I know from experience how much energy a long commute takes. She’ll have more time for rest and her personal life is she isn’t stuck in traffic.

Heather: I have mushroom books, and have picked mushrooms in the wild that we later enjoyed eating. I also had lessons from a naturalist. If you want to hunt mushrooms for the table, I’d recommend going with an expert until you have enough experience that you know what to pick and what to avoid.

Sylvia: Good news about your DS and grandkids, and also that you don’t have to shampoo the carpet in the old apartment!

Carol: Good luck with the bursitis.

Yanniejannie: Good luck with your visit to the surgeon. I hope he gives you good news.

Beth in WNY: Snow again? I hope tomorrow is warmer and sunny.

Michele: I think your new pool pets will provide just the color you crave. Did you decide on the turtle’s design?

Dr Katie: If your students are appreciating your efforts, it is a rare and wonderful thing.

Have a great evening and a good day tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mary in Minnesota, your husband is just the bomb. Good for him in getting you the phone you wanted. When we were kids and took our annual trip to MInnesota to my Dad's parents house I couldn't stand the taste of the well water at all It was so full of mineral taste I thought I was chewing the water. It was that hard. They drank a lot of tea and water up there so I drank a lot of milk and OJ and water that week. Always had a great time though. They lived in Albert Lea.

Michelle, what a precious praying mantis. I think the colors are soft and muted. I thought they would be more bold and neon like. The way the turtle is made just screams for those things on his back to have all sorts of colors. And you have to give him painted toe nails!

lemony57. That picture must be an old picture of you. You look like you are in your mid 40's!!! Welcome, come often and join in.

Selena, your husband sounds like such a dear. and sounds like he sure loves you an awful lot. Can you tell us what your book is about. Maybe it's a book on how to keep your marriage alive and well.

cindy SoMD, when I know I am going to be put on hold for a long time, I jsut put the phone on speakerphone and take the phone with me. I refuse to be held captive by a phone who says I am the 14th person in quee or something like that. Oh, I use a land line all the time at home.

Heather, I had to look up nettle to see what in the world it is. I still don't know!!!! Don't you know that football rules all according to men. When you go to the doctor and they take your B/P make sure that they don't take it right after you get up from the reception room, walk down the hall, get weighed and then walk to the exam room. You should be sitting and resting about 5 minutes. At our cardiologist office, the nurse walks us in, asks us what's going on, goes over a list of medicine and then takes the B/P. That small walk can raise your level, not like it goes up when you are exercising but it does go up some.

Sylvia, I just can't imagine what those kids daily life is. I know your son can't do a whole lot. Can you have a frank talk with him and see if the kids can be doing some basic cooking. Of course I don't know their ages. Such a wonderful surprise for the kids to walk in and Dad is home. I think the oldest is old enough that he can know a little more about Dad's illness. Do they have access to a computer? It could be that this child has been doing some research on his own. So good that you reached out to some one in the Alpha 1 group. the different social services in your area needs to know that your son doesn't have just any old lung disease but Alpha-1.

Vicki, maybe you could jsut do some of your rocks themselves in your rock garden.

Naomi, good luck at your convention. I know sometimes you can get so tied up doing your own responsibilities that you forget it is a convention for knowledge and socializing.

Janet Myrtle Beach, now it is 2.4 pounds!!!! I was kind of thinking that Pip meant that had gone 'streaking' for 999 days in a row!!!

Carol, if you itemize on your taxes, all those miles to and from physical therapy is tax deductable. It's so good you have coverage for it. Just wish it were closer. I love to listen to my Pandora stations when I am driving like that.

My sister's husband is a huge trivia expert and loves to answer all those questions form the radio and win prizes. He has a desk job in his own office and has the station on all the time and has the number on speed dial. I don't think he has ever gotten something big like a concert but if he did he would have given the tickets away. They do get a lot of free dinners. My youngest, Michelle, had a good case of shingles when she was in the second grade. When she had the chicken pox as a little one, she only had about 4 pox so the doctor said that's why she got the shingles so early. she was a trooper though. Well we had some miscommunication with when my brother was coming over with our antiques. He told us the last weekend in April. So is that this weekend or next? Next weekend is May dear brother. Us older sisters are wiser than you. Well both of our houses are nice and clean, just have to keep them clean. We keep the extra bedroom closed since kitty cat loves to hide in their. So just need to open the door next week to air it out.

Take care my friends, Joyce, Indiana
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Lesley - your work out and food dedication is inspiring! Are you training for a bikini competition? You are remarkable.
    No I NEED to shed fat in Tom's 98 day Challenge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ slept like a rock since I didnt get much the night before..
    The DH has gone, he will work 5 am until 9 am and then will start the drive down to Florida, asked him if he wanted me to set his phone up to be hands free, he said no.. ok
    made him some lunch and snacks to take with him.. it is a long long drive.. and he will take 2 days to get there, should get there sometime tomorrow afternoon..
    there is a car show tomorrow afternoon in memory of a friend of mine .. it is free to go.maybe I will go. dont know yet,
    Sunday will pick my dad up at noon and take him to the air museum..

then back to work....
    Michelle~ love all your little critters lol
    Sylvia~ so glad your son is home and the kids are back with there dad.. you amaze me with all you do for them.. you are one GREAT Grandma....
    Will take the time while hubby is gone to relax, well at least try to
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP after my diet site closes today (Tesco eDiets) I am 50+ and would like to join in is that ok?