WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies,

Joyce, if we are going to pay taxes we also wait until later to file. I sometimes laugh about it, because it’s not like we make anything on the money sitting in a bank account. Gosh just 7 years ago we opened an account with another bank because they were paying 3% on your money in a checking account. Well those days are long gone.

Gilly, you might want to give your tummy a break. If you have added lots of fruit when you didn’t eat it before, that can be a big shock to your poor tummy. I remember years ago when we took DMIL to Acapulco on vacation with us. She really enjoyed all the tropical fruit to the point that she spent 2 or 3 days in the bathroom.

Sassy, thank you so much for sharing your story. OMG, when we read things like this it really reminds us all of just how lucky we are. I hope you know I’m sending you the BIGGEST, LONGEST HUG! I was already inspired with your dedication. Just so sorry you had to go through that.

Heather, I guess some people think we like surprises? Well, not me when it comes to house guests. I hope you have a good time, whatever they decide to do.

Katla, I love your description of my skin: " Shar-Pei look". :'( Only mine is like a baby Shar-Pei with lots of tiny wrinkles. I try not to look at it because it’s pretty disgusting, but I keep it covered except for when a bathing suit is needed.

Mo, welcome to this group of very supportive women. Since you asked, we will all gladly hold you accountable. Come often and keep us updated on your progress. The group has had to give me 40 lashes on occasion, but when they used a wet noodle, I tried to eat it. It must be well worth it to keep up your flying. What a great sense of freedom. We are glad to have you with us.

Jackie, hey, that is what my DH needs: A Grumpy Old Men Group. He doesn’t even like to go to the Moose Lodge with me because he says he doesn’t like being around all those old people. DH is almost 72. Go figure.

Barbie
    , you always come up with the wisest words of wisdom: “the best exercise is the one you'll do.” That is for sure.
    And also: “ I don't know why the pages on this thread are so wide....it is an opportunity for personal growth in patience. ” I guess the personal growth part is true but I know the patience is.

Carol, are you saying you still don’t use sunscreen? Shame on you!!! I grew up in far south Texas where it was not unusual to be around 100 degrees in the summer. Way back then, there wasn’t even such a thing as sunscreen. Now that I am older and wiser (well older anyway) I use it whenever I am going to be out in the sun for a length of time. I’ve had enough pre-cancerous spots frozen off my body that I know the damage that has already been done. And since DH had skin cancer on his ear, I never forget to put sunscreen there, even though I normally wear a sunhat in the sun. We have to do the things we can to protect ourselves.

Lillian, you were the magic to get the pages back to normal. Thanks. We’ll be thinking of you and the results of your CT Scan. Hope you get good results.

Terri, you enjoy that full dance card. Both concerts sound great! That sounds like a smart plan for DH to be gone as much as possible while everything is in turmoil. Like you say, less stress for everyone.

Sylvia, I’m glad the weight drop wasn’t more serious! Remember your first goal for the month and be careful. For me the wider posts were on Page 3 but page 4 is back to normal. You are lucky you didn’t have it. It tends to try this old lady’s last nerve. :s

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Have a wonderful, happy and healthy day, ladies. <3

Quote for the day:
    I love
    Cities I’ve never been to,
    And people I’ve never met.

(who could that be?)

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Barbie- Your thoughts about balance resonate with me. Something I'm working on as well.

Yannie - Getting syrup off your butt when you're late for work and still have 2 kids to get ready was not funny...but all I could do was laugh. It took me a while to explain the concept of April Fool's. :laugh:

Sassy - thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad you decided to join this group. :heart:

Margaret - The pictures sound wonderful. What stories your Mom must have.

Lillian - You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Terri - Congrats on winning the Neil Diamond tickets... I'm jealous! Looks like you've planned well for the kitchen reno.

Sylvia - Keep an eye on that ankle, 7.5 lbs can do real damage. And thanks for keeping the jokes coming.

The problem with wide pages seems to be some sort of browser setting, maybe zoom settings. I suspect it might be one specific browser causing the issue. I agree with Heather, tech support should be able to help.

Tested out a recumbent bike at physio yesterday, looks like my knees are not strong enough yet to be able to stay in proper alignment so that will have to wait. My physio has been working on my positional vertigo. The treatment seems to have made it worse...now I can't even walk without being dizzy.

Thought for the day: A wise woman recognizes when her life is out of balance and summons the courage to act to correct it, she knows the meaning of true generosity, happiness is the reward for a life lived in harmony, with a courage and grace. - Suze Orman

Carey - in still snowy Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    Naiomi - if I ate only when hungry I'd be eating all the time! ! ! ! :laugh: In a recent tv quiz I fell into the category of "Constant Grazer". I have less of the hormone that tells my brain I have just eaten and don't need more food. :ohwell: Also my eyes are constantly on the lookout for food opportunities! I think about food nearly all the time. The only way I can keep myself in check is by rigorous planning and logging. I have to tell myself "hunger is not an emergency" , even if it feels like it. I can get very weak and trembly if I don't eat regularly so have to have emergency food available if I'm having a "knee trembler". However I do eat my way through a lot of raw carrots and celery.
    A glass museum sounds divine. :flowerforyou:

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    My Sincerest Apologies. YannieJannie - Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Sylvia - sorry about your foot/ankle. I hope it heals quickly.

Pip - you crack me up :p

Heather - It sounds like you are describing me. My ex used to get mad because I was thinking about what to make for supper before I even left for work in the morning.

I'm 5'2" on a good day (have been same since 8th grade), so I understand the desire to be taller. I considered the browser setting being the reason for the screen size, but I had the same problem at home on the laptop and now I'm at work. I'll get over it, and read back over the previous pages this afternoon when we aren't so busy at work.

More Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon All!

Naiomi...now I know why it is much warmer where you are in MA than where I am...it's about 37 F here and about 10 degrees warmer where you are. I work in Gloucester, live in Burlington. Send some warmer air please!! I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Hugs. My friends took me to the glass museum in Sandwich for my birthday a few years ago. I love glass and Sandwich is such a pretty town. Have a wonderful day with your friend.

Heather...thanks for the wise words about body image.

Teri...congrates on winning the Neil Diamond tickets. You'll have a great time, especially rocking your new clothes.

Sassy...being new to this group I had no idea of the adversity you have gone through. I truely admire your courage and wisdom. Thank you for being an inspiration to us. Certainly put things in perspective for me.

Casey...I too had positional vertigo about 10 years ago, common in women and those who suffered with migranes (which I did). Fortunately the exercises cured me, I hope that they find something that will cure or at least help you because it's no fun feeling like you are on an amusement ride all the time.

My doctor's visit and subsequent x-rays determined that I have arthritis in my upper neck, no doubt caused by the car accident I was in 20 years ago (no where near the accident Sassy was in). I was cleared for elliptical and yoga which made me happy. Learning about the physical challenges many of you face is helping me to "keep on keeping on!"

Gotta run...have a great day Ladies!
    Chris in MA
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just checking in before going to the Y.
    Yanniejannie - you are in my thoughts and prayers
    Sylvia - Ouch! (HUGS)
    Sassy - You are such an over-comer! Thank you for sharing your story. When I was a teenager my very permissive father said "absolutely NO to motorcycle riding". I was so hungry for discipline from him to this day I won't get on one. Done a lot of other things he wouldn't like but won't do that one! I am so glad you survived and found your way to all of us!
    Heather - the cake looks yummmmmmmy.
    Michele - what is the Green Room?

Welcome to all the new ladies. I hope you stick around. This is a great place for support. New Toni - maybe you can be CAToni and I'll stay TNToni. Are you an Antoinette or Antonia?

I am doing a lot of stressing about the Y but so far the only overindulgence is greek yogurt. Not too bad for extra comfort food.

I am happy with what I did with my March goals. I'll post my April ones tomorrow.

Toni in cloudy middle Tennessee
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,734 Member
    Options
    ecf53ahe8f3m.jpg
    unlmcuta5q7s.jpg

NatIonal therapy dog day, here's a pic of my therapy dog, the rock-meister!
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!

My fitbit has arrived! I’m half way to my 10,000 steps already at lunch time (walk in the woods) and will do Zumba tonite.

Goals for April:
    1. Make that scale move. Current weight 279, goal for May 1, 270.
    2. Burn more calories
    • Fitbit: 10,000 steps, 10 flights of stairs, 30 active min every day
    3. Be happy and positive!
    4. Get some quick and healthy dinners into my cooking rotation.
    5. Stop that mindless eating when tired and PO’d.
    6. Up my sleep – monitor w/ fitbit.

Jan – Good luck on the Moh’s surgery tomorrow. Once you are past that you can refocus on other things.

Carol – Nice job on 15000 steps! Hope you got some antibiotics for the sinus infection.

Sylvia – yes, please stay out of hospitals this month!

Ree- welcome, and yup, you can do this.

Sassy – oh yes, 8 lbs in March. Woo hoo!

Wow 4 pages in two days, will have to finish catching up later -

Cindy in SoMD
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Read the posts. Congrats to those that have met their goals for March.

When you are gone for a year the turnover of people is amazing.

Got my walk in at work will get my stationary bike ride in when I get home. Logging, Logging, Logging will be my goal.

Laura in Colorado
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! Just a quick pop-in. The doctor gave me a z-pack yesterday and I now have an appointment with an orthopedist at UNC. Cynthia - I haven't forgotten about the "blasting" procedure--I'd do a whole lot to avoid surgery! I came into work very late today because I was determined I was breaking the fever before I left home. I'm hacking up some of the grossest stuff I've ever seen! Hope it will be gone very shortly.

Sassy - Wow! I hope I would have responded with the strength you showed.

Today is haircut day so it will be 8 p.m or so before I get home. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better enough to pick back up with the walking. I miss it.

Oh crap! I just realized the cat was outside when I left. Oh well. She'll have to find a critter to munch on if she needs a snack and drink out of the creek. I sincerely hope I have paint left on my front door if she decides to scratch to let me know she wants in. Yikes!

Thanks for the get well wishes! Off to get some more work done....

Carol in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I'm taking a break in between packing and trying on clothes. There is so much to do to get ready for our trip so I just want to tell everybody good luck with Your goals for April. I will be checking in periodically and plan on reading all the texts but I will probably not have time to respond individually.

Yanniejannie - we are still keeping you in our prayers and will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sassy - thanks for sharing your story. I am glad that you are here with us. I didn't realize that there were so many bikers in the group! Maybe we should all go for a ride sometime.

Heather - Wow! If I lived with you there wouldn't be any of that cake left!

Have a great day everyone !

Mary from Minnesota
  • thecat
    thecat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    <3 thanks Barbie.....I would like to join our group so for me March was hard but towards the end of March I began to make some nutritional changes of which I am gaining some ground to eat more vegetarian with healthy fats and NO processed foods. My weakness is chips!!! Of any kind and since I began making my changes I messed up twice. It got back up!!!

For April I would like to continue in my healthy eating BUT include exercise. For me exercise is a struggle because I have back problems and fibromyalgia...as I already know the more I am INACTIVE the more I hurt...BUT Then I just hurt to move. It is hard. It I would like to be determined to MOVE at least every other day to start.

Thanks
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday dear ladies. We got a lot of wind, thunder, and lighten last evening. Only acouple drops of rain. Sounds like we could get more this evening. We went to Bible Study last evening and the lesson was on marriage. It was interesting and gave me things to think about. Sometimes I struggle with being married twice. The first one was so much of a mistake. So we did not get to walk last evening. I am hoping when I get off this evening we can walk. Makes supper late, but enjoy the walk.
    Tomorrow I am off and watching DGD. Plan to go to the show. Then I work the weekend.

Sassy--You have been thru a lot. Glad you are doing better.

Mo--Welcome. You have found a great place for support and friendship.

Lillian--Sending prayers and good wishes for your tests.

Terri--Congrates on winning the tickets, Sounds like you have a good weekend planned. Enjoy.

Sylvia--I also have pages that have not changed size. OWWWW!! Hope you didn't break anything. I fell last week out the front door. Dogs wanted out and tripped me. My foot is black and blue and looks so much worse then it is.

Well ladies have a great evening and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE

APRIL GOALS
    Trust God
    1. log everybite
    2. No snaking after 8pm
    3. No computer after 9pm
    4. Look for Joy and Blessings in each day.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,823 Member
    Options
    hidee ho kids,
    over my 10,000, raked sticks and junk from the yard, took my brother for his intake interview he will be doing rehab 3 nights a week for 5 weeks... the furnace got cleaned, cooked dinner and just got out of the shower. took the shower curtain off and toilet is out and down cellar, the rest of the bathroom starts getting demolished tomorrow..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Cynthia love the horse pictures.

YannieJannie sorry you are going through skin cancer.

Looked at Mom's Paris trip. Learned it was named after a Celtic tribe. She made it to Giverny too. I can see why Monet was so inspired.

In the afternoon we dyed Easter eggs. Every resident is going to get one on Easter. Learned that during Lent depending on how strict you are you don't eat fresh eggs. That is why people would hard boil them and then they could last until Easter. I did dye eggs with my students and my children so it was a fun activity to help my mom. I remember my mom dying eggs, but I do not remember dying them with her. Now we have done it together.

I did splurge and went to O"Charley's again. I got half a pecan chicken salad which helped with portion control. Unfortunately they also serve hot rolls. Yum!

:heart: MNMargaret
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been reading the posts and have to add my admiration for Sassy. When reading your story I realized I am probably just lazy!. I really have no adversities except my age so there is no reason I can't do this.
    Laura in CO - so good to see you again. I'm getting back on track again and need the help of these great ladies.
    Good wishes and hugs for all with medical issues. Stay strong.
    I had three pages of huge screens but the last one was ok. Strange.
    Sue in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gif I had the house to myself for awhile this afternoon. Jake went to lunch with a friend. I fixed one of my favorite meals---scrambled eggs with broccoli and sweet onions. I called my cousin (the one in the nursing home). It is a daily challenge to make conversation with her because I don't really have any news from day to day and she almost takes pride in the fact that she does nothing and has nothing to talk about. She doesn't like the food, so even that isn't a possible topic of conversation.

smiley-cool05.gif At line dance today I got the schedule for practices for those of us who will be performing at the county fair in August. Our first meeting will be next week and will be to choose the dances we'll do. I have a few suggestions. The group is smaller this year and all the dancers are good experienced dancers and fun to be with.

:) When I watch figure skating on TV I feel so old and creaky and infirm compared to the fabulous athletes, then I turn it around to be grateful for what I am able to do. When I write my gratitude list every morning I include health and mobility most of the time as well as vision and hearing. I don't ever want to take these blessings for granted.

<3 yanniejannie, I have a friend who has had two surgeries like yours and found them time consuming and not unpleasant and grateful for the results. I wish you a day like that tomorrow.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

April Resolutions
    *15,000 steps a day--fewer than before so I can spend more time with strength training and garden puttering)
    * strength training twice a week--same as last month smiley-sport017.gif
    *finish sorting the slides
    *don't take things personally
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Sassy – wow what a story, it really threw me for a loop when you mentioned German, as I had read Austria as Australia when you first joined us, and never looked at it again…. You are so lucky to only have weight gain to deal with… do they think the fractures were from the accident? Wow! Making it through all of that, and you can do this weight loosing thing – Cause who’s the cutest, funniest, Sassy we know? You are! LOLOLOL

Heather – True, I don’t really even consider loving my body, it is just the thing that I’ve got, but I do really like smooth swooping lines in everything – cars, the edging of my yard, heck even my favorite number is 8, I want everything to be smooth….. more to contemplate.

Terri – it is YannieJannie with the surgery 

Cynthia – great on trying out all the options… glad the bike worked so well.

Pages – like Sylvia mine are just the same as always….hmmm

Pip – 5’5” is a giant…. I’m just 5’1”

Busy day today, walked Levi, then moved a couple of wheelbarrows of gravel, I have wanted to re-do the section in my front yard between the sidewalk and the street, it is a 2.5 foot wide planting area, that gets no water, and has car doors opening, folks getting in and out … and just a pain, so I have wanted to do drainage gravel with field stone, and a neighbor bought to much gravel, so I am moving it to my house. Off to garden for a friend for 3 ½ hours, then to grab lunch ( a tofu spring roll from Trader Joes and raspberries) then to get bark for a different project, home and a shower now time to get to work… and I have no ideas for dinner… better check the freezer!!!

March goals:
    Walk every day -100%
    Log all bites everyday - 50%
    Eat slower – failure
    Plan and do a fun thing every week – 25%

April goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – went to Hakone gardens it is a beautiful Japanese garden established in 1917 and just amazing.
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Mikesmom1983 Burlington & Gloucester are usually colder & get more snow. I lived in Lowell for 6 yrs. and remember.... I'm more of a binger especially if I skip meals or use food to destress. ( Maybe I should spell it distress.)
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    HAPPY EASTER
    Saturday here and training is: JJ's Bikini boot-camp I, JJ's Circuit A and a 2 mile walk.
    Tom's 7 week "Love Your Body" has finished. First 2 weeks I walked and cried for Mildred, last 2 weeks I got serious again. In 7 weeks I have Lost 1.75 inches, gained 1 Kg total weight, lost 0.2% BF%, lost 0.5 Kg fat, gained 1.03 Kg lean weight, gained 0.8% muscle and gained 2.94 Kg muscles. OK with that, could have been better
    Tom's new challenge starts in May so a month to get spreadsheets and training sorted
    Looking for a new dog real soon, miss my walking companion