WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,740 Member
    Options
    exermom - that guy would have the ears on him all day long if i wanted him too. he didn't care. i miss him alot.

damnit - 400 reps of what damnit.

well, did the fake bake, i'm still white but then again it is the 1st visit after all. when I got there, I was turning off my ride tracker and catching my breath and some guy walks passed me and looks back and said, "damn, you got legs of steal!" I smiled and said, it took me years to get them, thanks! I gotta admit, that felt good to hear.

we made reservations for sunday brunch ! pretty sure we'll ride there. Mimosa's here we come!!, gotta make sure I don't drink too many cuz I gotta ride back, lololol and yes, I will count all those calories.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,101 Member
    Options
    Alison hugs to you. I know how stressful it is to have your home torn up by remodeling.

Just heard a fun joke:

If April shower bring May flowers, what do Mayflowers bring? Pilgrims. The clerk at Schnucks told it to me. Had to get my Provel cheese. It is a combo of mozzarella and provolone that they have in St. Louis and not in the Twin Cities.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Janet - they said, 20 mins in total of 2 min bursts followed by 1 min rests. Just to go as hard as you, personally, can. I can't do that kind of exercise because my knee always plays up when I go at it hard. :ohwell: It's supposed to be v good for diabetes 2 as well as fat burning.

Did some checking of my book and altered a couple of things. :) Then I thought I'd better get on with dinner. All done. Table laid. They are coming at 6.30 and staying the night. Yeah! ! ! ! :drinker: Just checked out the guest room and given the bathroom floor a quick dust.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD!
    Carol - baba ganoush is a smoky eggplant dip. Has tahini in it. So I have four homemade dips with crudités and homemade bread. They are delicious so I will have trouble keeping consumption down. :cry:
    ; Then pork and leek cider stew with new potatoes and broccoli
    Then epoisses cheese :laugh: with oat biscuits
    Then homemade raspberry macarons and homemade chocolate truffles. Espresso coffee.

Tio Pepe sherry , rose wine and a light red will be drunk with mocktails as an alternative. (I adore fino sherry)
    I plan to have VERY small portions, no potatoes, hardly any bread and one small macaron. Three glasses of alcohol. I will be over, but I am a pound under goal at the moment. I very much like the Southampton Mocktail, which is slimline tonic, fresh lime juice and angostura bitters, so that will help me in between drinks. I have plenty of fizzy water.
    The table looks nice with fresh spring flowers and flowery napkins. Candles. I have string lights around the place. Looking forward to it ! :bigsmile:

Alison - hope all goes well with the all important reunion! :flowerforyou:

Pip - just love that compliment!

Happy Easter to everyone! :flowerforyou:

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Tracie and I just turned 55 in March. Found this thread and think it is wonderful!

I am at work so only got through the first page of posts, but will try to catch up and get to know you all a little better this weekend.

Today is my 3rd year anniversary of finishing breast cancer treatments. Since then I have been placed on many medications for maintenance and now that I think most of the surgeries are finally behind me, I really need to get in shape! The medications I am on mess with my hormones so I have gained a lot of weight since before diagnosis. I also ended up with cardiac damage from the chemotherapy, so there's that...

I have so much to be thankful for...a wonderful husband, 3 children, 3 stepchildren, 17 grandchildren and 1 great-grandson. Family is the the most important thing to me and I have a new appreciation of the small things. I am trying to learn to sew (quilts) and teaching myself comes with some pretty colorful language some days I'm afraid! But I'm trying!

My husband and I have a black lab named Jack. He's 9 years old and is our baby. We recently moved to the city after living in the woods for 8 years so that has been and continues to be quite an adjustment for us, but it's mostly good! I love the outdoors, so now that spring is approaching, I am missing the woods a bit. I'm trying to figure out where the garden is going in our new yard (shhhhhhh....hubby doesn't know yet!)

So, having said that, my April goals are:

1. Eat more vegetables and less processed foods.
    2. Log every bite!
    3. 30 minutes of cardio five times a week
    4. Begin strength training
    5. Have my weight go DOWN instead of UP
    6. Take time to rejuvenate mind, body and soul by meditating 15-20 minutes a day
    7. Enjoy each and every day and complain less.

I look forward to getting to know you all better in the days ahead!

Tracie in Wisconsin
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie – with the time difference you are probably having the procedure as I think of you and type this….

Katla – I am sorry to hear “your” horse has a bruised leg and that you will have a month without your riding, as I know you love it.

Laura – welcome to another west coaster!

Rori - I love butternut squash and had a braised squash in miso, coconut sauce last night, would you share your recipe?

Sylvia and Margaret - I am so glad to not have those storms!!! We had an earthquake centered a mile from my house, Levi and I slept through it.

Michele – that is really interesting about where the flab goes, I had never even thought of it before.

Heather – hang in all will go well! I have easter BBQ dinner here, I do it every year, and every year I think about not doing it the next year – but … the hardest part for me is the RSVP some people just don’t get how helpful it is to know if they are coming or not! I invited 30 and have 9 yes, and 4 maybes… what is up with maybe???? In one case they flat out told me that they would come if they didn’t get a better offer.. they will not be invited next year. But I do a very casual thing – I put a turkey on the BBQ and some sausages (like polish, brats, and other dinner style sausages) I will do a jello salad (which I do not care for) but it was always done by our oldest regular attendee, she passed away a couple of years ago so I do it and we have it in her honor, then everything else folks bring – so they each bring a dish to share and the beverage of their choice.

Terri – sending good thoughts that DH can stay out of the way….

Alison – what great news!

Ok ladies really thinking about this muscle definition thing, and somehow in my brain it mushed with the entertainers you were mentioning and I think the one I had a crush on was the Pillsbury dough boy! Truly…. So that tells us all about how strange I really am. I am hearing that the muscle definition is almost a badge of honor, a confirmation of hard work, not really something you wanted for the look… or do I not fully understand?

Off to give Levi a bath!

March goals:
    Walk every day -100%
    Log all bites everyday - 50%
    Eat slower – failure
    Plan and do a fun thing every week – 25%

April goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – went to Hakone gardens it is a beautiful Japanese garden established in 1917 and just amazing.
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Hello! My name is Tracie and I just turned 55 in March. Found this thread and think it is wonderful!

I am at work so only got through the first page of posts, but will try to catch up and get to know you all a little better this weekend.

Today is my 3rd year anniversary of finishing breast cancer treatments. Since then I have been placed on many medications for maintenance and now that I think most of the surgeries are finally behind me, I really need to get in shape! The medications I am on mess with my hormones so I have gained a lot of weight since before diagnosis. I also ended up with cardiac damage from the chemotherapy, so there's that...

I have so much to be thankful for...a wonderful husband, 3 children, 3 stepchildren, 17 grandchildren and 1 great-grandson. Family is the the most important thing to me and I have a new appreciation of the small things. I am trying to learn to sew (quilts) and teaching myself comes with some pretty colorful language some days I'm afraid! But I'm trying!

My husband and I have a black lab named Jack. He's 9 years old and is our baby. We recently moved to the city after living in the woods for 8 years so that has been and continues to be quite an adjustment for us, but it's mostly good! I love the outdoors, so now that spring is approaching, I am missing the woods a bit. I'm trying to figure out where the garden is going in our new yard (shhhhhhh....hubby doesn't know yet!)

So, having said that, my April goals are:

1. Eat more vegetables and less processed foods.
    2. Log every bite!
    3. 30 minutes of cardio five times a week
    4. Begin strength training
    5. Have my weight go DOWN instead of UP
    6. Take time to rejuvenate mind, body and soul by meditating 15-20 minutes a day
    7. Enjoy each and every day and complain less.

I look forward to getting to know you all better in the days ahead!

Tracie in Wisconsin

welcome to pip-ville aka the group ;0)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good morning –
    My friend and I are going on a trip to some of the Y’s to scout out a new workout place. She is also losing a job with our Y. She teaches water classes three days a week. I don’t think she is interested in pursuing a job but we both need a pool. I am just thankful we live in a big city with other options for us.
    Sylvia – Your storms are coming our way. Being a Kansas girl myself, I don’t panic much – just try to be sensible. I’ve actually had closer calls here in TN than I did in Kansas.

Terri and Alison – Good luck with the renovations
    Joyce – HA – inhaling other people’s fat
    Heather - lovely dinner party plans. You could have done this for a living!
    I am so excited to gather with the extended family on Easter. the Y is closed so I don’t work and my hubby also got the day off. We will go to my DIL’s aunt’s. I will be meeting little Blueberry – oops – Bronwyn for the first time. I am going to take her a book – “Miss Spider’s Tea Party” – every little girl loves tea parties.
    TNToni
    GRATITUDE – STRENGTH - FAITH

March Goals
    Take blood pressure and 2 hour blood sugar every day (better with blood pressures; have to do a 2hr after biggest meal BS so I missed more of those)
    Log every bite and swallow (about 66%)
    Email, Facebook message, or call three teacher friends each week to encourage them through this challenging time of year (sent everyone a happy spring break message and I will get on this goal in April)
    Walk a minimum of 5,000 steps each day (MANY DAYS MORE)
    “Let go and let God” (ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS WORKING ON THIS)

April Goals
    BP and BS every day
    Log every bite and swallow
    Contact 3 teacher friends each week
    Walk 6,000 steps each day
    No eating after dinner
    “Let go and let God”
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Went to a funeral today in support of one of my colleagues. Something powerful about a funeral on Good Friday.

Got breakfast on the road and likely will do the same for lunch and dinner. Having awful craving for sweet gooey stuff. Trying to take a breath and see if it passes.

Since I'm working this evening I'll be driving for a while then prepping for work. It will help me focus on something besides food.

Naiomi2015 45F in rainy Massachusetts
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,829 Member
    Options
    afternoon again,
    well sitting here with the dogs, some of the electrical is done, and they have taken out the walls and tub, now comes the hard part... the DH used the wet/dry vac in there and got a majority of the junk out.. trying to get a grocery list together..
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are having trouble threading needles. They do make Side threading and self threading needles that thread from the side so that you can do it by feel. You don't need to be able to see the hole. You can buy them for sewing machines and for hand sewing. Self threading needles for machines are available on Amazon and here is a link for both hand and machine needles (I haven't tried this site myself) spiraleyeneedles.com/

Janet: I loved the recent study :laugh:

Carol: Have fun with those Grandkids.

Alison: Hope everything goes well at lunch...keeping everything crossed.

Heather: Your menus are so unique and inspiring. Glad your guests are spending the night. Enjoy :drinker:

Kim: Those specific guests would be off my list as well. Sheesh! :frown:

Naiomi2015: You can do it

Finding it tough to get started on my menu planning for April. I think I'm making it too complicated. Gotta remember the Kiss principle.

Thought for today: "Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy." - Wayne Gretzky

Carey - Edmonton
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Tracie - welcome you have come a long way!
    Carey - thanks! menu planning for the month!!! wow.
    Yanniejannie - sending mid day thoughts
    Alison - with all that is going on, use Carey's KISS principle with the shopping (keep it (super) simple (silly) or (stupid)... I have heard it with all of the different s words...

having a tough day, had a tough conversation with my best friend.... not really sure where we are in our relationship, so feeling alone, but knew between you all and Levi, there is someone near....

Kim
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Kim - ((((( HUGS ))))) I had "one of those" conversations with a friend recently. I offered the help she asked for, but it didn't actually help, so she thought I was just being nosey. After I apologized, she said we would be okay, then she "unfriended" me on Facebook, and the next time I saw her socially she obviously avoided eye and verbal contact. I put my arm on her shoulder and said "good to see you" anyway, then walked away. People are our friends for a reason, a season, or a lifetime, and sometimes we don't know the difference until it is too late. Yes, you have lots of friends here. Another (((hug)))

Terri in Milwaukee
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi, everyone. It's OVER!!! He went back twice to cut more (no pain, lots of pressure), I'm still numb and to take it easy for two days.......no yoga tomorrow, I did ask, lol. I am going to pretty much doze in the recliner for the time being. Caught up on reading, will be back to posting as usual soon. No bending over, no lifting or other strain......the usual.

Carol..........Glad you got your own derm issues taken care of.

Sassy........I had no idea you had been through so much!!! I'll echo Katla and several others on here. You are a very resilient person.

Kim.......Wish I could do this in person.......(((((((HUGS)))))))) I am soooo sorry you are sad.

Thanks again for ALL the support!
    yanniejannie

• GodMomKim
    Options
    Thanks... I knew you guys were here for me... the saddest part is this is a gal who has been my best friend since 1977, she retired 4 years ago and now is only friends when she needs something.... or when it is super convenient, she called to tell me she had decided not to come to Easter BBQ, she said I know this will hurt you, but I just don't feel like making the drive. - I would move mountains to not disappoint a friend, and just find it unfathomable to figure that choice out. I point blank asked my cooking? my house? my other company? no just don't feel like it. Somethings in life I just don't get.

Yanniejannie - So glad you are fine, and 2 rounds sound less invasive than it could have been. Take it easy - Really Really - We are "mom-ing" you! take it easy.

Kim
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: My grandmother’s family immigrated to Kansas from Austria in 1898 or so. She never really mentioned very much about Kansas or the weather there, but said that when she and her husband moved here that she’d arrived in “the land of milk and honey.” All of her siblings eventually migrated to Oregon, too. There have been a few tornadoes here in the last 10 years or so, but nothing as scary as the ones in the Midwest. I’m glad you are all safe. I hope that the angina has gone away.

Heather: Months ago I saw a TV show on fitness that originated in Britain. It showed research that revealed that short bursts of high effort are more effective in cardio-vascular fitness training than a long slog. I’m not sure what the details were on weight management.

Alison: I’ll pray for your DB and his son. This is a beginning and that is more than they’ve had for a long time.

Margaret: I love the pilgrim joke. I wish I’d known it while I was teaching US history.

Heather: I love hearing about your dinner parties. You are amazing.

Tracie in Wisconsin: Welcome to a great group of women. Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on completing successful treatment for breast cancer.

Kim: Regarding muscle definition, when I started here I was “round and firm and fully packed.” As time went by and the fat went away, I had what can be described as shirred skin in lots of places. Having a little muscle definition fills up the loose skin and makes it appear smother and more healthy. I don’t want to look like Charles Atlas, but I’d rather have some muscle definition than shirred skin. It is quite possible to have some muscle definition and not look like a body builder.

Okay, I found a pair of pictures on the web and put them up as my main image. Neither is me, but the one on the left sort of resembles my tummy after I’ve lost weight and been building some muscle definition through yoga. You can still see some shirred skin, but it isn’t collapsed. Before the yoga, my tummy looked like a deflated balloon. The one on the right is the advertisement of what the seller claims to be able to do for you. I think the model just poked her tummy out. I will only leave this up for a short time. Like I said, they aren’t pictures of me. I've tried this twice and I thought it worked. If you don't see the tummies here, go to my home page to look at them.

DDIL is coming for Easter and we are excited to see her. We plan on grilled salmon, new potatoes, & salad for dinner. We have cheesecake for dessert. Yum! I spent enough time at the gym this morning to earn a small piece of cheesecake.

Have a great weekend.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Good fri.Been busy packing,crying and just overwhelmed.Landlords are still working on stuff.We are suppose to move next tues,not sure if the work will be done.No stove yet,just upset.The neighbor was gonna help with boxes,their van broke down,so hubby`s making trips in our small car.Got movers coming tues,for the big stuff.What a nightmare.5th move in 4 years.Sorry for the rant.Hope everyone is doing good.
    HUGS jane
  • GodMomKim
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jane, my heart goes out to you, I would come and help if you were closer!!!! I wish we could build a MFP compound for us all to live in and help each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Utopia Where are you? Does crying burn calories? cause if it does Jane you and I could have a calorie boost!

Katla - I had to look up a picture of charles atlas, but I get what you mean, my tummy is far from the problem!! it is still way to full, it's arms and legs at this point, I don't know as though I'll ever embrace the look, but you guys are convincing me it's not as horrid as I have always thought.

I love this group - I like that the different ideas can be exchanged and no one gets gruff, but explains their point of view and we can learn, and muddle on something without being put down.

Kim from N. CA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Jane ((((hugs)))) I hate moving. I hope it all falls in to place for you soon.

YannieJannie - Glad you are home and taking it easy. Glad the doctor had steady hands.

There were 4 layers of linoleum on my floor, so he has only torn it up so far. Apparently the dishwasher was leaking longer than we thought, because the mold is terrible. I could smell it as soon as I walked into the house, and I already have a terrible headache. I hope he will be able to finish by Sunday evening. DH and DS are done with batting practice and are bringing home gyros tonight. I get the super-size one, and get 3 meals out of it.

Lots of bad weather being shown on the News. I hope everyone is safe.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,375 Member
    Options
    Kim - huge hugs - you are great! I have to learn myself that people will do what they do and it has NOTHING to do with me. I hope you get to love your desirable body. <3

Yannie jannie - WTG! May you recover brilliantly! You have been stalwart.!

My dinner party went really well, but we all drank a bit too much. My guests are in bed. We are watching a recorded gardening programme. :)
    Love to all,
    I love you guys <3
    Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
    nuthin wrong with drinking London!!!