WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    A quick hello and Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate and Happy Spring to all!

Today marks 1 year since I gave up cigarettes and nicotine gum ( was addicted to both). I must say, it was a tough year to do it!
    I will have to come up with a new vice...

Love to all.
    Chris in MA
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve on this rainy Friday eve. Was able to get to grocery this morn during a dry patch. Have chicken breasts & thighs in slo cooker,making broth for the noodles I will take to son in laws ....Sis for Easter dinner.Prob be 12 of us. Going to make a strawberry poke cake.Broth smells good....will be even better in the morn.

Yannie ,so happy for you. Home safe .....doesn't get any better. So good to hear from you.

Heather, "Some saturated fat may be good for you, especially dairy like yoghourt, and could help protect against diabetes#2. Also exercise for 20 mins alternating as hard as you can go for 2 mins then 1 min rest can carry on burning fat for hours after you've stopped. I knd of knew this and the dairy thing, but this was a reconfirmation". Very interesting as I already do that,tho prob not as intensive as I should .The knees & hip keeps me under control.

Will stay with the 1540 calories even tho the Dr said to go to 1800. Think he just pulled it out of his hat. Would prob gain,as I only stay level on 1540.Enough whining.

April will be to keep on keeping on.
    Water drank each day is 8-10 glasses & intend to stay there,rather than float away :D
    My word(s) .....Just for Today.

Have a nice Easter wk end,Pat
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. We had a hairy night last night, with the storm sirens sounding about 2:30 am, and didn't get back into bed till about 5:00. When we remodeled our house a few years ago we added an above ground storm shelter that has a door into the garage and also a door to the outside. That was just after the Joplin tornado. Well, we haven't needed to stay in it often, but the few times we have we have been awfully glad to have it. It's a little tricky to get all three dogs in there, but it can be done.

I've been taking it easy today and not had any angina so far. Usually it happens when I'm under stress or physically exert myself a little too much. Yesterday I had both.

Tonight I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and discovered my cell phone was not in my purse, so had to go back to the studio to get it. On bother! Without my cell phone I feel like my arm is missing or something. It's funny because I used to be one of those people who swore they would never get a cell phone. Now I can't live without it.

Well, time to go clean up after dinner. I hope you all are having a great day!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Here is yesterday's joke of the day:

:)

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shone his flashlight around, looking for valuables when a voice in the dark said, 'Jesus knows you're here.'

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off, and froze.

When he heard nothing more, after a bit, he shook his head and continued.

Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard 'Jesus is watching you.'

Freaked out, he shone his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice.

Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot.

'Did you say that?' he hissed at the parrot.

'Yep', the parrot confessed, then squawked, 'I'm just trying to warn you that he is watching you.'

The burglar relaxed.. 'Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?'

'Moses,' replied the bird.

'Moses?' the burglar laughed. 'What kind of people would name a bird Moses?'

'The kind of people that would name a Rottweiler Jesus.'

:D
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    This is today's joke:

:)

A man who was just married was flying to the Florida Keys for a business trip. His new bride was to accompany him the next day. When he got there he E-mailed his wife to let her know he made it there safely.

When he sent the E-mail he miss-typed the address. In Boston, a grieving widow, whose husband has recently passed away, receives the E-mail. She reads it, screams, and faints.

Hearing her grandmother’s cry, the widow's 18-year-old granddaughter runs into the living room to see the computer on with a message. It reads:

Dear love,

Just got here. Preparing for your arrival tomorrow. Can't wait to see you.

Love,

Your Husband

P.S. Sure is hot down here.

:D
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the jokes Sylvia.

Went through my mom's and aunt's trip to India. I so wanted to go on that trip, but I had just started working so I couldn't go. Fun to see them on elephants and camels.

My niece and her husband and children came to visit my mom too today. We had a pizza party. When I get home I will share some pictures of my reading We are in a Book by Mo Williiams. The flowering trees here are spectacular. I will post one of those too. It really makes me think
    spring had arrived.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday here and NOT training today.
    Washing clothes and towels, ironing dry clothes and bed-linen and cleaning house.
    Higher food calories today
    I go to see Brian after doctor on Thursday.
    Start Tom's challenge in May, so setting up spread sheets.
    Making twice baked potatoes for lunch
    Going to rain shortly
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Jan .... so glad your surgery is behind you! Now rest quietly and heal quickly!

Kim ... so sorry your "friend" has hurt you ... hugs ... you deserve much better. Nine true friends at your dinner will be much better than a bunch of maybes and others who just didn't have anything better to do! Sheesh ... some of those people need smacked! Seriously, what has happened to kindness let alone etiquette?

Heather .... I was up at 3:00 am and could not fall back asleep ... I'm sure the fact my son was at an all night game place had something to do with it. Wish I'd thought of your solution!

Jane ... deep breaths ... you're a pro at moving ... you know it will work out.

Alison and Terri ... good luck with the renovations ... hope everything goes quickly and smoothly! No surprises!

Margaret ... not easy going through Mom's things ...

Made Orechovnick (Kolachy) for Easter. I only made two rolls because we're supposed to be watching our weight here ... was able to wrestle HALF a loaf away from son and husband and freeze and hide so there actually will be some for Easter! They devoured the rest in a matter of 12 hours. Moderation is obviously not our strong suit here! Tomorrow will make Baklava for other son who has egg allergy and can't eat the Orechovnick. Otherwise I'm keeping Easter dinner simple. Ham, scalloped potatoes and asparagus. It will just be the four of us. Easter breakfast will be a potluck brunch at the church ... taking some of the Baklava and a cheddar potato casserole. So a little food prep tomorrow. Easter lunch will be chocolate!

Went to the gym again yesterday ... that's twice this week ... and I can feel it ... but feel much better! Keeps me in line.

Beth in WNY
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Michelle: You can start using arnica gel any time after getting a bruise.

Heather: Just when I think you can’t outdo your last party, you continue to amaze. So glad all went well.

Jane: Vent all you want. I fall to pieces at the prospect of moving. Stay strong.

Kim: In addition to our mutual love of butternut squash, I also have lost my best friend this year. I’ve known her since 1965, but now I just don’t have the heart to continue a relationship when it’s convenient to her. I’m moving on. Totally agree this community is enriching in so many ways.

Here’s my squash soufflé recipe (which also works with roasted veges). I sought this recipe out after getting tired of paying through the nose for the frozen versions at health food stores.
    Makes 6 servings
    ½ cup flour
    ¼ cup sugar or stevia
    ½ cup of oil or applesauce
    3 eggs, separated
    A pinch of cream of tartar
    1 ½ cups of milk or yougurt
    2 12oz boxes of frozen squash, thawed

Preheat oven to 350. Beat together flour, sugar, oil, egg YOLKS, and milk. Add squash and mix well. In another bowl beat the egg WHITES and cream of tartar until stiff. Gently fold into the squash mix. Bake in 8x8 glass or ceramic baking dish, or in single serve custard bowls for 50-60 minutes.
    Enjoy.

Holy spikoly! If you had told me two years ago I would have any affinity for scratch cooking, I would have laughed in your face. See what a great influence you all are on me?

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

April 2015 Goals:
    * meditate for 20 minutes every day
    * cardio 5 times, burning 1600 calories/week
    * 90 minutes of strength training per week
    * eat 1200 calories, but not the full amount of exercise calories daily
    * more water!

My word for 2014 is mindfulness.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hugs to everyone and have a great Easter Weekend.

I finally got the metal taste out of my mouth from the CT scan dye...

Pretty quiet in our house. Kids are away. Just have the "grand fur babies" Porche a bull mastiff and Cuda, a chocolate lab. Went for a walk just after lunch and will head out again as soon as the curling is over... extra end 1 vs 2 page playoff - Canada vs Norway....

Not going anywhere and not having company. I am tired of being the one that invites all the relatives over for supper on these holiday occasions. I notice we haven't been invited back... but that is okay...

So...here is my list for the weekend:
    finish charity return for the museum - done
    medical expenses for personal taxes
    start on company books

And of course DH has added... finish the painting in the basement because next weekend the boys will be here and they can help lay floor....oh my goodness - we are almost done....

Curling over so away I go for my walk with 3 dogs... before the snow AGAIN

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.43min, 15.1amph 2.9mi = 107cal
    Rope pull- 15min, 107ftpmin, lvl7 midset, 1611ft = 88cal
    jog- , 4-5incline, 4.2-5speed, 14.03ap 1.42mi = 163cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.50min, 12.4amph, 1.4mi = 52cal
    Ride dome 2 tan- 20.28min, 8.6amph, 2.9mi = 174cal
    Ride tan 2 hm- 6.21min, 10.1amph, 1mi = 58cal
    642 total cal
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    A quick hello and Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate and Happy Spring to all!

Today marks 1 year since I gave up cigarettes and nicotine gum ( was addicted to both). I must say, it was a tough year to do it!
    I will have to come up with a new vice...

Love to all.
    Chris in MA

U GO GURL!!!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Friday Eve, Ladies,

Pip, or should I call you “Steel Legs”? I know that had to make you feel good. My reps are on my Cardio Glider. It’s a cross trainer and I count the reps more than the time, because sometimes I go faster than others. I like Mimosas too. We always take champagne and have them on the cruise. Just wish they made diet oj. :p

Heather, thanks for the work out info. Sometimes I try to read things that aren’t there. LOL Your dinner sounds wonderful. I know you will have a great time, as well as your guests.

Tracie, welcome. This is a great group of very supportive and informative ladies. Come often and join right in. Congrats on making it through a very difficult time and best of luck with your journey. We are happy to have you. What part of Wisconsin? I lived in Milwaukee for 10 years a long time ago.

Kim, how totally rude of people to not RSVP an invitation. And I totally agree with you on the one that won’t be invited next year. What gall!! I definitely think that some muscle definition is a badge of honor. I’m sure you aren’t looking like those Muscle Builders in the magazines?? Now I do think they are gross. Be proud of what you’ve got. Most of us just have flab.

Toni, give little Blueberry a big hug from us. I hope you get to take some pictures! Have a great Easter.

Carey, thanks for the website on the needles. The description at the bottom of how to thread a regular needle was too funny. I can actually see the hole in the needles, just cant get that fat thread in the tiny hole. :( Glad you liked the study I shared.

Yannie, so glad to hear from you and happy that the surgery wasn’t too bad. Take care of yourself and we will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Katla, you enjoy your DDIL and your cheesecake. You definitely deserve it. Savor a bite for me.

Jane
    , rant all you want. Moves are so stressful no matter the situation. :'( Hang in there. (((Hugs)))

Terri, will they replace the section of sub-floor where the mold is? I hope so. And hope they can finish soon. Hang in there, it will be worth it.

Heather, “ditto” to what Pip said.

Chris, good for you!!! Just don’t make your new vice “eating”. 

Sylvia, glad the angina isn’t bothering you today. Sorry for the weather problems but glad you have the tornado shelter. Better safe than sorry. I so seldom get calls any more, but I also have to have my cell with me. I think it’s a habit from when I was working. Loved the jokes!!! LOL :#

Lillian, glad you got the metal taste gone. I’ll bet you feel safe walking with the grand fur-babies. Yes, isn’t it funny (NOT) how some people will come whenever you are willing to do all the work but never return the invitation. Are you the only one painting or are you both doing it? Have a relaxing weekend.

I thought it might be the right time to share this:

Strangers can become
    Best friends just as easy as
    Best friends can become strangers
    unknown

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Got home from work. My presentation did not as well as I would have liked. Trying not to dwell on it.

Managed to substitute sushi for a bakery bing this afternoon. Still a lot of calories but first time I've actually eaten all of my recommended protein. Dinner was at a dinner so about 100 calories over for the day. I supose it could be worse.

Got another funeral tomorrow. This person is someone who I knew well from church. Her husband died unexpectantly about 10 yrs ago. Now she's gone due to breast cancer. She has two boys one just finishing HS and one a jr. In college.

I'm finding the funeral today and tomorrow coupled w/Good Friday Services to be overwhelmingly somber. Just trying to remember like the oldtime preacher said, "It's Friday but Sunday's coming!"

JaneMoving is never easy. I hope all you need to do goes as smoothly as possible.

Naiomi2015 50F & Foggy in Massachusetts
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of work on the rebounder. A friend told me about this site "Well Fitness" where people post videos. I found Jari Love's Ripped to the Core in its entirety. I did one for a rebounder only I did it three times for a total of an hour.

the plan for tomorrow is to do a band DVD

Today has been busy cooking for tomorrow. After exercising I made biscuits, just have them in the refrig to bake tomorrow. Put a load of laundry in (that reminds me, I need to take it out of the dryer and put it away). Steamed some asparagus, microwaved a pound of bacon for Vince and Jess and put some on top of the asparagus. Iced the key lime cupcakes. Made this cream cheese icing, put green sugar on them for "grass" then cut up marshmallows to make "petals" and used jelly beans for the center of the flowers. Partially cooked potatoes (white and sweet). Made up the bed in the back bedroom (I'd taken off the sheets and washed them a while ago. Cleaned the countertops, took out the garbage. Vacuumed the kitchen, still should clean the floor. Jess said that she's bringing Colby down, not sure what the story is there. Vince said he asked her if Kris was coming and she said "I'm not sure". Don't know if perhaps Colby doesn't have a mother, if maybe he's estranged from her, or maybe she lives in CA and he just can't see her. Anyway, he's welcome here. But it does mean that I will be cleaning more.

Joyce
    - happy birthday to your daughter

Alison
    - how wonderful about your brother's son!

Beautiful day here today. Just a bit too breezy, but I can live with that. Nice temp.

Not even going to try to estimate BLT's. Had to taste things as I made them, so I know I had a bit. I'm sure I'm over, but I was way under yesterday. Will probably go over tomorrow, but it's our Easter. I'll get back to healthy eating Sunday.

Don't know what it is, but I suddenly got so sleepy. Think I'll probably lay down for a bit of a nap before Jess gets here. Not sure what time she will get here, tho

toni
    - hope you and your friend find a good place. That's so important

yanniejannie
    - so glad you're OK and that everything went well.

Just called Jess. Vince wanted to remind her to bring this snake thing he'd left up at her new apt last time we were there. It's something for pulling cables. anyway, she said that both Kris and Colby will be coming. They're coming in Colby's car since his is a bit bigger than Jess'. They'll be here around midnight.

I got some lamb for tomorrow night. But now I'm wondering if I have enough. So what I think I'll do is make not only the lamb but also a pork roast. So that means after exercising tomorrow, I'll probably go to the food store to get the pork.

jane - (((BIG HUG))). Moving, under ANY conditions is a royal pain. And under yours is even worse. (((ANOTHER BIG HUG)))

Kim - I agree, one of the reasons I love this group is that I can express my inner feelings, and many times get a totally different perspective. No one is judgmental.

terri
    - 4 layers!!!!

Chris
    - happy happy anniversary!!!! Couldn't be happier for you

Sylvia - the other day I didn't realize it but the battery on my cell phone was dead. I couldn't wait to get home to recharge it! Isn't it funny how much we have come to depend on those things? Just to think when we were kids, cell phones were something out of Star Trek.

Kim - you do deserve much better. How anyone could feel that way is beyond me.

Rori - I thought you needed to use the Arnica right after getting the bruise! Thanks for telling me that I was wrong.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! We made it to Omaha Nebraska today. We should get to Precious Moments Chapel around noon tomorrow. I am going to wear the outfit I had on the day my DH proposed to me. We will have the tour guide take pictures again, I hope it is the same lady, 2 years ago we went back for our 2nd time and it was the lady that took pictures for my DH the 1st time.

Yanniejannie - I am so glad that you are home and resting. Take care of yourself. (((Hugs)))

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Terri – 4 layers!!! Wow, the room will feel bigger without all that under foot LOLOLOL!

Heather – Thanks, I have trouble seeing myself in a good light; counseling is helping and will continue to.. Glad the dinner party went well, I always save a drink for myself for after all are gone or in bed and I can just sit and sip…

Chris – Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat – you know your body, play with the calories to find the number that lets you drop or maintain depending on which you want.

Sylvia – Love the Rottweiler named Jesus!!!, ok now I read the next joke – OMG too darn funny!!!

Beth – Orechovnick is something I had not heard of, googled it Oh yum! And I would have been fighting the DS and DH for my share!

Rori – wow… am so sorry to hear you have had to face this too… it is so hurtful… I always thought it would be so hard if/when she died, but this is worse.
    The soufflé sounds so good!!! I’ll be making it soon.

Well I have had a few more RSVPs today! So while you are the only ones that know this is the final easter celebration… there is one family that always comes, and my mom comes and next year I will be inviting just them and ditching the rest of these goof balls (that is my PC version). So next year will be dinner for 7 and I can make a wonderful dinner instead of this potluck crazy! Or maybe I should just take the dinner off and send a airplane ticket to Heather and her DH and they can cook for me – LOL!

March goals:
    Walk every day -100%
    Log all bites everyday - 50%
    Eat slower – failure
    Plan and do a fun thing every week – 25%

April goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – went to Hakone gardens it is a beautiful Japanese garden established in 1917 and just amazing.
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Just got home, finished my food diary, ws over. Ddin't make good choices today but I was exhausted and had some comfort food. I am so sick of salads and had a sub at Firehouse subs. Their brownies just seem to jump on my tray. But my plan was to split one with my husband. He didn't divide it real well, that's OK, then my 13 year old grand daughter looked at me with her begging beautiful eyes and I gave her a big chunk of the piece he gave me. So I didn't have much. I had a chicken salad sandwich and left the cheese off. I can't imagine chicken salad with cheese on it anyway. I couldn't sleep well although DH said he heard me snore. So was exhausted all day but still needed to help Christina. So mainly I sat on the floor and put things in shelves and cabinets. It rained monsoons then sun would come out then another monsoon and sun. Weird. But on the way home it was completely dry. When we got home it was clear with stars out. So I am going to bed much earlier than usual. Was so wonderful to see Ellie outside playing basketball being able to act like a normal kid. When they moved from thier trailer to the town house it was a single row of townhouses that had a highway in front of them but was all built up in front of them to protect from the highway and noise. They had a creek at the end of this row of houses that was a favorite place to play and she for the first time had a wonderful outdoor life. So she has already found a couple of friends on this cul de sac after only living there for 2 days. There are 2 basketball goals in front of her house, a widowed Grandma living beside her that likes her. So she is one happy kid. Her sister has the croopy crud and sounds and looks awful. Hoipe I didn't get anything from her.

Yannie, so glad it all went well for you and only had to go back in a minimal of times. rest well.

Read all posts and just know you are all on my mind. Thought about Yannie all day

Tomorrow I will be more myself. Joyce, Indiana
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say goodnight - sorted some papers and I have my piles ready to do medical expenses in the morning....

Janet - DH will help paint. I am kind of excited to get that finished. I have ulterior motives ... I am off to scrapbooking retreat the 23rd to 25th so it would be nice to have that finished. And when you work 4 days a week - there is only the weekends to get big jobs like that done.

Yeah - made my 10,000+ steps today ... that would be 2 days in April already!!

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: