WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jannie: I’m thinking good thoughts for your surgery tomorrow and sending prayers that your surgeon is skillful and thorough.

Sue in TX: You can do this. It is a flexible enough system for people with all sorts of food sensitivities and varying needs. You have a lot of support right here. I hope you also have some at home. DH’s support has been a blessing for me.

Barbie: Your cousin sounds like a difficult person who doesn’t want to be happy. Nobody can fix that but her. You are generous to stay in touch on a regular basis. She is lucky to have your support.

Kim in N CA: Hakone Garden sounds wonderful. There is a lovely Japanese Garden in Portland that we visited frequently a long time ago. I haven’t been there in many years. I do go to the Chinese Garden regularly. It is relatively small, enclosed, and I have gotten some great ideas for my own tiny yard there. I also like the atmosphere and the Teahouse. It occupies one city block in Portland’s Chinatown.

Lesley: Your stats are impressive. You’re doing quite a good job with your fitness. I am so glad you’ve decided to get a dog. It will provide you with needed companionship and is a fitting tribute to Mildred.

I called my riding teacher today intending to leave her a message. Instead I got to talk to her. She entered her mustang colt in a horseshow last weekend that was a skill test for the horses and riders. It was also a fundraiser for the Portland Mounted Patrol. I wanted to see the competition but the flu was still an issue and I didn’t feel well enough to drive all the miles to get there. My teacher did very well riding her little Mustang. He was 14th out of 44. She just started him under saddle in January after purchasing him from an Indian Reservation last fall. I think she is a brilliant horse trainer. My lessons are on hold while the horse I ride recovers from a bruised leg. I’ll start back with lessons in May.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    Over 50, just joined MFB.
  • cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pushed post too soon. Goals are to increase my steps, stay within my calories and push the water. Prayers to all.

Laura from California
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Terri - AWESOME WIN!! I have seen Neil Diamond - 11th row on the floor. It was great. you will enjoy it I am sure.

And I too would like to be taller... I guess only in my high heels... I am 5' 3 1/2"... funny my two sons are 6' 2" and 6' 4" .... they sure didn't get it from me...

So survived my CT Scan ...very interesting. this time I was told not eat - last time I ate. Reason - the dye can make you throw up ....ummm. Didn't have to drink the cup of "stuff" because this radiologist says she doesn't need it to see what she needs to see..... WELLL we are looking at the same thing as last time!!! So only had the dye...the one that makes you all warm and fuzzy and feel like you are peeing your pants...but you are not. THE RESULT..."well ma'am it will be 5-7 working days and your Dr. will have the report". In the meantime drink lots of water to flush the dye through your kidneys.....Okie dookie...and that metal taste in my mouth...

Today's diary kind of screwy. had to go to Tim Horton's with DS and DGD for breakfast...(bloat), ate the breakfast I brought with me at 2 p.m. and because of the bagel at Tim's ...may as well have a hot cross bun for supper and get all the bloaty yucky feeling over at once...Just have to get through the brain freeze headache in the morning.

Must go and jump on my rebounder to burn off the yuckkkkyyyyy and watch curling...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Sassy: I am going to remember your story on those mornings when I am feeling lazy and reticent to go to the gym. You are an inspiration. o:)

Kim: The very muscles you don’t want to show are a manifestation of your HARD WORK. ;) I say flaunt ‘em.

Katla: Hope you have a nice long sleep tonight to make up for last night. I have the skin of a shar pei's grandmother, especially on my upper arms and thighs. :( Dread wearing short sleeves, but learned to take a deep breath and live with gratitude I have my health.

Terri: Neil Diamond…Holly holy dream…he’s on my bucket list. Lucky you! Great concerts and a new kitchen.

Mo: Welcome. I come from a family of pilots.

Pip: The Easter pup made me smile. Great therapy indeed.

Vicki and Sylvia: For bruises I swear by topical arnica gel. It’s in health food stores and Latin food markets. Speeds up the healing.

Margaret: Sounds like you are having a wonderful visit with your mom. Treasure the time and take more pictures than you think you will ever need. :)

Sue and Laura: Great to see you back here.

Barbie: I relate to how you feel about watching figure skaters. Just. Plain. Awe. Inspiring.

Lillian: Hope tomorrow you are over all the after effects of the MRI. Sounds awful.

Today my trainer Rose cancelled because of illness. I still did my weight training, but not as much variety or all the minutes I get when I work out with her. I wound up working a very long day and fortunately had a super clean homemade butternut squash souffle in the freezer and some spinach for a fast and easy dinner. Amazing what a difference eating home cooking makes on the scale.

Stay well. B) Get your sunscreen on!!! We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,734 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: got to fake bake! ahhhh
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.46min, 13.9amph 3mi = 101c

treadmill walk/jog/skip/scissors - 35min, 1.5-5.0 incl, 4.2-5.0speed, 13.55ap, 2.52mi = 300c

ride gym 2 dome- 6.23min, 13.5amph, 1.4mi = 60c, est.
    ride dome 2 tan- 17.30min, 10.2amph, 2.9mi =195c
    ride tan 2 hm- 6.35min, 8.9amph, .9mi = 63c
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    my goal for April is to stop yo-yoing 5 lbs. I have been doing this since the beginning of the year. time to break this habit. taking off 5 lbs from where I am today will break the cycle.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    cranor130 wrote: »
    Hello All!
    Over 50, just joined MFB.

WELCOMEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, tonight was fun. Hubby and I spent a fun hour standing in the ladies bathroom at Rib Crib with about 25 total strangers. Tornado warning. Aah, springtime in Kansas!

Then, when we finally got out of the bathroom I had chest and arm pain, took nitro. Still not gone but better. Then we drove to hubby's office on campus to monitor the weather for a whole before we finally came home. The poor dogs were at home alone in the dark in a storm. I was so worried about them. The kids were huddled in the bathroom at their new apartment. Now we are home. The weatherman says we might get another round of storms later tonight.

Our storms are moving east, so I hope those of you east of Kansas stay safe tonight. Take care.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    I am in St. Louis and it is storming right now. They need the rain too. We did do some cleaning out of mom's house tonight with one of my brothers and my niece. We want to get it on the market by May 1st.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Carol, glad you got some meds. Get better soon!!

Mary, have a wonderful and safe trip.

Pip
    , I love the cute doggie picture. :)

TheCat, welcome to this very supportive group of ladies. I don’t have Fibro but do have back problems so all I will say about exercise is start slow and anything you do is better than nothing. We are all behind you so come often and let us know what’s going on with you. Great job on those nutritional changes.

Barbie
    , I know it is difficult to find things to talk about with your cousin. I hand it to you for calling when you do. I have a friend that is severely depressed and it’s the same way with her. I guess all we can do is try. Your dancing performance sounds like fun. I hope they chose some of your favorites.

Cranor, welcome. Please tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Come often and join right in.

Lillian, glad you made it through the CT. I guess you were feeling okay to be able to do the rebounder, so good for you.

Rori, sorry your trainer cancelled but good for you on doing your weight training. Keep up the good work.

Sylvia, I hope you don’t get any of the real severe weather. On the national weather, it looks terrible out there. Stay safe and let us know how the angina pains are tomorrow.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I kept getting interrupted this morning when I was trying to do my exercises. Yes, “trying” was about all it was. :( I did my push-ups and a few others then it was so late that I had to stop and eat lunch. I am not normally very good about any exercise in the afternoon but after I let my food go down, I did use the cross-trainer. I only got 400 reps before the first interruption but went back and did an additional 200. I was proud of myself for getting it all in.
    As usual, I have to tell you all what inspirations you are to me. Because I see what you do, I know I can do something. Thank you all for sharing your journeys with us. Sweet dreams, ladies. <3

FYI:
    A recent study has found
    that women who carry a
    little extra weight
    live longer than do the
    men who mention it.
    >:)

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Jillian Michael's Shred it With Weights DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do this video I found on the site Well Video for the rebounder.

Sassy
    - Wow! What can I say? You impress me to no end

Joyce and drkatie
    - I solve my printer problems by called "hey Vince". Works every time. Vince is a "retired" CPA and his method of keeping the receips for taes is to either put them into a folder or else put them into a box. So you've a good system.

Yea me! I had this craving for choclate chip cookies that I had in the freezer. Well, I kept telling myself "the less I have, the more there is for Jess and Kris (and Vince). Well, I succumbed some today. BUT....I was going to have a couple small cookies, but after the first one decided they really didn't taste all that good so put the others back. Good for me!

Found this on "Fitness" magazine and thought it might be interesting:
    Ever wonder where the flab you lose actually goes? As fat molecules metabolize, their atoms break free and regroup to form carbon dioxide and water. The CO2 is then released into the blood stream and transported to the lungs to be exhaled and the water is excreted.

Never knew this

mosnell
    - welcome! Great plane (and hubby)

Jackie
    - safe travels

I refreshed the page, and it's back to having to scroll across the whole page to read a post. Bummer. I'm going to check on the technical issues forum to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Back, it doesn't seem to be happening anywhere ele but here. Weird!

Now later in the day it isn't doing this.

Lillian
    - hope all goes well with the CT scan. Be sure to keep us updated.

terri -
    score on those tickets!

After exercising, had some breakfast then volunteered at the Green Room. Then went to ceramics where I put 2 coats on the head of the praying mantis and the final coat on the shoulders. then I went and picked up the lamb for Sat. Didn't realize it was THAT expensive, now I know why it isn't sold in the grocery store. Then went to Food Lion to get a Carvel ice cream cake and a few other things, then home. Vince finally got together the list of non-renewing members for Newcomers so I had to update the spreadsheet. Newcomer bowling tonight.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a lot of the prep work for the Easter dinner. Jessica told Vince that she wasn't sure if Kris was coming but that Colby would be. Colby was a big help when she moved. I know she wasn't pleased at all that Kris didn't help very much at all. Not sure what this means. Well, I was going to give her and Kris a bottle of wine. If Kris doesn't come, Colby will get the bottle I had for him. If they both come, I'm sure I have another bottle downstairs so each will get a bottle.

naiomi
    - so sorry about your friend. Have a good day

terri - I'm thinking about dinner, too, earlier in the day. I try to plan what we're going to have and if I need to precook something

toni
    - the Green Room is our local theater.

pip - what cute pics. How long did the doggie allow you to keep that headband on his head?

Margaret - I never heard of not eating fresh eggs during Lent, and my grandparents were quite strict about Lent.

cranor - welcome

Rori - do you have to use the Arnica right after you get the cut?

Sylvia - one time we had a tornado warning while Vince and I were at the courthouse. Had to go downstairs to the 911 center and wait it out. Stay safe.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sitting here on my hotel bed, not staying up late so this is short. Sassy, what an nspirationl story. You put us all to shame. You are one courageous determined young lady. Michele, so as I am breathing out I am exhaling my fat. So did I happen to inhale some one else fat several years ago? Mo, are those your boys planes? Welcome.

We are n a hotel because we are helping my daughter move. 2 years ago she was living in a terrible broke down moldy trailer. But their whole budget was buying propane and the upkeep. Thankfully the bank foreclosed on them and they realized their budget would allow them to rent a 3 bedroom townhouse although dad would confiscate one bedroom for an office. But the first time in my young girls life they had a neighborhood to have normal childhood in. Now today they moved to a single family hone, a rental, but on a culdesac with kids, teenage boys who better know that this grandma is watching. They don't have the money for a truck to move them so they borrowed a pick up and are doing it with a few friends. My daughters version of purging and packing is to just empty a drawer full of unfolded clothes in a trash bag. So I have been trying to organize and clean things that should been cleaned before the move. I hope to get tomorrow to dust shelves of 2 years of dust. We were discussing our height and shoe size. The shorter our bodies are, the longer our shoes are. So if I go down to 5'3", I was 5'6", will I be up to a size 12 shoe?

I am glad this a comfortable hotel. Charlie doesn't like it that I order a sweet but I have my Pandora on in bed as he has Famly Guy in the living room. That is THE reason I get a suite. We celebrated my daughters birthday at Golden Corral. I am so glad their pieces of cake are little things now. Tomorrow. They want to go to Zaskbys. Yuk! It has really rained. Nite nite

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi folks!
    Had a very wakeful night! Couldn't get back to sleep after 4 am so eventually I had a mouthful of Bacardi. I do not think this is a good idea as a regular thing :noway: but I slept then until 7.45. Don't worry, I won't make a habit of it! ! ! ! ! ! >:)
    Too much on my mind - the book, my guests coming (or maybe not coming) tonight and my DS#1 who is not replying to my communication again. He is probably just busy, but he is prone to severe depression so I worry.
    Feel ok now. Got hummus and baba ganoush,that I cooked before Christmas out of the freezer snd the macarons and filling. Also found 4 chocolate truffles. They are made without sugar so should be ok for DB. I have to get out my lovely bread. I am making an avocado dip today and one using the cheese I made from a yoghourt that went fizzy! :laugh: It is delicious. I will mix it with garlic and fresh herbs. Do we need the kipper pate? I think not.
    Yesterday I read all the book instructions, today I will make the few tweaks I need to make on the Word doc and read the cover instructions.

Yesterdsy I watched a tv programme about FAT. One or two interesting things that have come out in research. Some saturated fat may be good for you, especially dairy like yoghourt, and could help protect against diabetes#2. Also exercise for 20 mins alternating as hard as you can go for 2 mins then 1 min rest can carry on burning fat for hours after you've stopped. I knd of knew this and the dairy thing, but this wreaconfirmation.

Breakfast arrived. Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Michele I hadn't heard this about eggs either. Where I read this was in the newspaper at the Nursing Home where my mom is so I do not know where they got their information.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Joyce, hope your daughter's move goes easily. I actually really like Zaxby's grilled house salad with light ranch dressing. I do not eat the buttery toast.

Heather, love to read about all the (strange to me) things you cook. Have to look up baba ganoush and see what it is.

Lillian, hope your test results come out well. I have never had to do a test with dye and hope I won't ever have to.

Janet, I do use sun screen now but also avoid the sun at all costs. Hate being hot.

My Cold Water Creek pants suit came and it fits exactly. The neck line hangs lower than I like but will cover up my spotted chest with makeup.

Grandkids are coming again today and also their Dad whom I haven't seen in weeks. Will fix lunch for them.

Happy Good Friday to all.

Carol ~ GA
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Good Friday (and peaceful Passover) ! ! !

Thank you all my friends, for being there for me and each other. I feel blessed every time I log on. Thank you for sharing your struggles, fears, accomplishments, and goals. I haven't set any goals yet, except to have 17 more pounds gone by June 1 for our "contest" at work.

My kitchen starts getting torn up today, and I suspect DH will be a problem. I explained to him multiple times that we will NOT be able to step foot in the kitchen at all for the entire weekend. I also reminded him to bring anything he thinks he may use and put it in the diningroom (yes, I compacted the Avon graveyard). Last night I put the bananas in the diningroom, and this morning they were back in the kitchen. I hope I moved enough of everything else he might need. At least DS understood most of what I was saying. His room is pretty empty; he did put some stuff in the wrong room, but I had him fix that. The most important appliance - my coffee maker - is already on my bathroom counter for tomorrow morning. o:)

Carol - have you ever tried the decolette-covering lace that you can hook to the front of your bra? I've seen it advertised on TV, and it has encouraged me to buy lace to sew to the inside of my too-low-cut outfits. Just a thought . . . .

Strangely, I am not as talkative today as usual. I hope everyone is able to make wise choices today.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,823 Member
    Options
    morning all,
    it is crazy here right now, we have the electrician and the contractor here right now, and they will be tearing out the bathroom.. the electrician found some bad stuff in the attic so he will be up there for awhile..
    went and fed my DFIL, and he called me old reliable lol
    a wonderful wonderful thing happened yesterday not to me. My DB has been estranged from his son for more than probably 12-15 yrs.. his mother and grandmother bad mouthed him to this poor kid..
    my DB has had his share of problems ,but has always loved his son.. I think some of his problems (drinking)have been the cause of alot..
    well Shane got wind of Sean being in the hospital again.. and texted me.. I told him you are an adult now, make your own decisions on your dad, not what mom or nana told you.. give him a shot..
    gave him his fathers cell number and let it be. but told him he has a whole other side of the family that loves him very much...
    he called his father yesterday.. I am beyond excited for both of them.. Sean is taking him out to lunch, and he will tell him the truth , all of it.. and I am hoping they can repair all of the hurt that has passed over the years..
    this is a true miracle.. pray for a wonderful outcome..
    I am hoping to go over to a friends house at around noon to color eggs
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Well, tonight was fun. Hubby and I spent a fun hour standing in the ladies bathroom at Rib Crib with about 25 total strangers. Tornado warning. Aah, springtime in Kansas!

Then, when we finally got out of the bathroom I had chest and arm pain, took nitro. Still not gone but better. Then we drove to hubby's office on campus to monitor the weather for a whole before we finally came home. The poor dogs were at home alone in the dark in a storm. I was so worried about them. The kids were huddled in the bathroom at their new apartment. Now we are home. The weatherman says we might get another round of storms later tonight.

Our storms are moving east, so I hope those of you east of Kansas stay safe tonight. Take care.

Sylvia

be careful whippet!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Friday Morning Ladies,

Michele, yeah you! on putting the rest of the cookies back. Don’t you love it when you decide to eat something bad and then discover it isn’t worth the calories and don't eat more.

Joyce, it’s so nice of you to help with the move. Be careful not to overdo as it is easy to do at our age. The suite sounds like a wise choice.

Heather, I personally think a shot of Bacardi is better than not sleeping. Remember we have to choose our bad. Since I have never exercised much my whole life, I’m still learning. Are you saying to exercise hard for 2 mins, rest for 1 min then regular for 18 mins? I just got a touch confused. :*

Carol, that’s fantastic that the pants suit fits perfectly! :p Oh, and I’m glad to know you do use sunscreen. I love warm weather, but don’t like the humidity at all. Often here when it is pretty and warm, it’s so humid I won’t go outside.

Terri, I’m thinking of you with the best wishes while the kitchen is a war zone. I think you just have to play like you are on a camping trip and make the most of it, but I know a DH can make things miserable. I just hope they can finish the work on schedule. Hang in there.

Allison, I got chills as I read your post about your DB’s son calling him. That is wonderful and I will definitely keep them in my prayers. Have fun coloring eggs. I miss that with no children in my life at the time being.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It is a beautiful day here, and the pollen is killing me. I want to go outside and do some things but don’t dare. It seems that all I do between sneezing is wash my face and hands. I know the boys (poodles) bring it in every time they go out, but what are ya gonna do? I hope you all have a beautiful day and a safe and happy weekend. <3

Thought for the day:

A (wo)man without
    A vision for his/her future,
    Always returns to
    His/her past.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC