WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi all, just saying hi (long day).
    I'm puzzled at all the reactions to the horse photos. Someone new quoted the photos I posted about a month ago. ;)

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,082 Member
    Options
    Cynthia lattequeen reposted them. I didn't look carefully enough. Still great to see them again.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Kids are crazy, especially teenage boys. I was only taking 2 kids to Mall Cop 2 tonight, now there are suddenly 3, and they are all at my house waiting for me to get home. Yikes. I hope they save me some food. :D
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Margaret: aha, I get it. By the way, that foal is GROWING! I'll try to remember to post a new pic soon.

Yawning and going to bed now; hope everyone has a good night.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Heather, thank you for taking the time to post a great explanation complete with suggestions. I've basically just started cooking new foods, I had a very small # of dishes that I would cook and I'd gotten so tired of them. So I'm trying to eat healthier and add variety and a tiny bit of spice to my life. I've been trying 1 new recipe a week. My boys have told me that they enjoy curry so I thought I'd try to find a recipe that we all could enjoy. I had tried a chicken curry made by someone many years ago that I liked, but the one recipe I tried was gross (bland and gooey... not sure if it was my cooking or the recipe). I'll check and see if the Library has any of Madhur Jaffrey's books and maybe I can find a simple chicken one to try. We all love spinach and peas so I'll be sure to add those to it.

Thanks again! <3
    Carey
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Teri & Mary & Michele--I saw the weed killer in the paper a couple years ago and love that it works so well. One gallon vinegar, one cup salt, one tablespoon Dawn dish soap blue. It works without the dish soap, I guess that just helps it stick. I use it as then I don't have to worry about the dogs getting sick and I do think it works better then the weed killer we got last year and had to use several times.

Sylvia--Great news about the deposit and the carpets not having to be done. I hope all the information you got for DS helps him get some help with things so that you can have a break and just enjoy those DGC. I agree with your water idea and it makes a lot of sense to me. Takes care of the water problems and makes jobs. Win Win!! I do like the idea of connecting and sharing meals. What fun that would be.

Joyce--I love the idea of Michele painting her turtle's toe nails. Love the idea of us all traveling together to visit each other. What fun that would be, count me in.

Heather--All these things you are doing to get your book out there is exciting and hearing from old friends is nice. God is doing great things for you with this book and I am excited to start reading it. I have been telling my friends and family about the book and enjoy the fact that I can say my friend Heather wrote it.

Terri--Hope you got things worked out for DS and the team. Bullying is wrong at anytime and needs to be confronted.

pipcd--Congrates on 1000. Happy Dance!!

Janet--Happy B-lated Birthday. Hope you and DH had a nice evening out.

Jane--sending prayers for you and DM.

Allison--Hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you and your dad had a good afternoon, what great memories.

Chris--Congrates on your NSV, two sizes smaller and brand new!!

yanniejannie--Sending HUGS, hope terrible for your friend. Hope she knows you care and are there for her.

Cory--I agree with what the other say and I would just invite him to join you and it is his choice if he does or not. Say if he wants to spend time together one time we can do what you want and next time do something he wants.

Michele--love the tree skirt. Then I love pegins. Sorry about my spelling!

Cynthia--beautiful pictures love horses.
    Well I am out of time and up to top of page 42. Have a good evening
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Read the posts from airports and such today... but hate posting from a phone, hard enough with a laptop. At home, I have a "real" keyboard hooked up to the laptop. Too old school, still.

Janet from SC, East Texas and West Texas are only the same thing to people who ain't from round these parts. :wink: Different climate, terrain, accents, critters, different snakes even. And different populations and culture, honestly. West Texas is more than 70 percent Hispanic--not cranky about it, just a fact, ma'am. I was raised in the Piney Woods, and I now live in the High Chihuahuan Desert... and they are distinctly not the same.

Plus, the older I get the less I understand people's urge to live right up next to each other. Why would anyone want to live so close to somebody you couldn't swing a cat without hitting somebody upside the head? Just a random question.

I've read lots from everyone, and don't want to kind of drop a bombshell, but neither do I want to be here under false pretenses--a wander around the boards has shown me a mixed bag of attitudes, and a whole bunch of them are negative.

I just want to make sure y'all know that I had a gastric bypass ten years ago. In the last, oh, six years, I've slowly put back on about 70 pounds, but I kept a hundred off. I weighed over 300 when I had the surgery. Losing the weight killed my 27-year marriage. Well, it was on its last legs, but losing the weight was the bullet that put it out of its misery. It also brought me back home, found me the love of my life, along with the children I gave up on having when I was 25--lots of long stories. Things work out like they're supposed to, in the end.

But the surgery was on my stomach, not on my head. And when I got happy, I quit paying attention. And the 300-lb lady who wrapped that blanket of fat around her to stay safe still wants food--and other than for six blessed months after the surgery, she always has. That's the struggle, I own it, I always will.

I just didn't want y'all to think I was hiding that particular part of my history. Anyone thinks I took the easy way out is wrong, but that would be a whole other post. Or a departure, if that's what it takes. I'm kind of easy... I'm looking for support, and don't want to raise any hackles on the way.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,781 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~ a quick hidee ho, contractor coming again in a minute...
    Carol~Ga.- he used to be part owner in a single engine plane, so he has been flying since he was a teen. he doesnt anymore as of his age and the expense of it. but when I was 15 my DB,DM,dad and I flew around the U.S in that plane, took us a month and it was exciting, If I could find the slides in my dads house would put them on a disc for him
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lisa,
    From what I've read over the past few months, I've discovered that we all come from very different sets of circumstances and experiences, but we're all here for the same reason. We are making a life style change. The trigger may have been different and we all have different challenges, but we're here to support and encourage each other. I am a grateful recipient of that support and encouragement and can do no less than to pass it on. I'm glad you found this group.

Carey
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I'm a newbee. My first day posting. I am inspired by what you have posted. I am a size 18, I dread trying on clothes. See something cute and by the time I find it in my size, I don't like it anymore. At the point of not looking for clothes I like. I just try to find something that I can fit into. You motivate me, I can't wait to shop for clothes I like. I just have to take one day at a time.
    Looking forward to making some new friends here.
    Marlene, from Michigan

Hi Marlene...I'm new too and just wanted to say hi....LOL..I'm not gonna try to catch up with all the posts..way too many..so I'll just start from here!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Lisa ... All I can say is you are in the right group. This is the most supportive and accepting group of ladies you will find on the Internet anywhere. We all have our issues and we all have a common goal ... A healthier life.

Beth in WNY
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wednesday morning and woke to NO Electric. Phoned Aurora and lady very helpful. Told me to switch everything off at outside panel and switch on again and she is sending people out. Lady on Monday was USELESS. We are OK now, I hope BUT no morning cardio.
    Jeannette Jenjins said NO supper so only tea before bed.
    Food is 1329. I can eat more, will add ice cream with peaches for dinner
    Training : JJ's cardio kick-boxing, JJ's Circuit B, this morning and walk dog this afternoon ~570 cals
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    GOOD NEWS~~~~mom is going home tonite with medication.Got to talk to her this am,sounds good,tired and wanting to sleep in her own bed.
    Thanks for ur love and support.
    hugs
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr of Gilad's 45/45 split DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD for the rebounder.

Carey - thanks so much for the links. I can only find the hulled barley in a health food store. It probably isn't as popular so the regular grocery stores don't carry it.

Marlene from MI - welcome! Katla is so right, stick with MFP even after you've reached your goal, that's key

katla
    - it'll probably be a while before you get to see the turtle (and I do it!). I'm working on the snail right now. Got the first coat on the shell. Sounds like you and dh had such a wonderful day!

Joyce - have fun with your brother

Alison - do you know that none of my kids (and Jessica is 30) has ever had a cavity. To me, in a sense, it isn't fair. They should experience it just some. The dentist believes that the reason they never got any cavities was because when their teeth were developing, I gave them fluoride tablets. So the fluoride formed INSIDE their teeth, unlike myself where the fluoride is on the outside of the tooth.

Janet - I was thinking of the r/w/b for the turtle. Someone there has a turtle like it and I counted the "scales" on the shell. I will wind up with two reds next to each other. I'm thinking that maybe the shell will be only r and b but the ribbing on the edge of the shell will be r/w/b. At least, that's the thought RIGHT NOW

selena - menoPals .... you gave me a good laugh there

terri - poolside bars and cabanas sound good to me. How about pool boys? I can't see why the saf-t-bak wouldn't work on slippers. I haven't seen it in craft stores....then again, I really haven't looked. I think I got the last container of it from Mary Maxim or Herrshchners. I do know that Amazon sells it, but only in 16oz containers.

Welcome everyone else new! You've come to a great place, nonjudgental and very supportive

Lesley - I do hope you get the electric back real soon.

Michele in NC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Katla,thank you for the link to that interesting article on anxiety!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride home 2 gym- 11.46min, 15.1amph, 2.9mi = 99c
    jog- 29.12min, 1mi @ 3incline 5.7speed, .1mi @ 3incl 6.0spd, .8mi @0 incl, 7.5spd, .3mi @0incl 8.5sp, 5k = 301c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.17min, 13.1amph, 1.3mi = 88c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.53min, 10.4amph, 2.7mi = 168c
    total cal 656
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies yes it’s me two days in a row! Boy I will be glad after Thursday when I get a break from these students. They are getting really rude and obnoxious. Angry about everything.

ON a good note, today was glorious! Yesterday I got my glass clock front back from the “clock guy” in Michigan who restored the painting on it. It’s off a Civil War-era clock I bought and the painting was peeling right off. He did a marvelous job for only $85! I was astonished. So tomorrow I’ll take it to the clock hospital and have it put back on and bring my new clock home!

Jane I missed the story but see that your mom and you need hugs, so they are on the way

MaryMN: I love little piggies but not when they get big and mean! Interesting recipe!

Michele: ceramics sounds like fun!

Marlene welcome aboard!

Katla: isn’t it nice when fatigue is caused by fun? Work hard, play hard, wear all your body parts out LOL

Joyce: I can’t picture you on wild roller coasters!

Heather: I too have trouble sleeping. I’m reading a book by John Le Carre called The Mission Song. I just finished The Ogallala Trail by Julene Bair. Wonderful book but it’s about the land in the Midwest, so you might not like it if you aren’t connected like I am.

Beth: the granddaughter (as of Easter) was covered in rolls of fat and big buggy eyes! She is so funny. She also throws up a ton, but I’m convinced it’s because Tanya holds her completely flat when feeding her and won’t sit her up at all.

Janet: I woke up and sore throat was gone, hooray!

Selena: I will check your book out!

Cynthia: always good to see the horses!

Ihannon: everyone has to do what is best for them. People who think you took the easy way out 1) don’t understand you and 2) don’t understand the surgery!

Well I’m off. Oh, other good news. Last week I had some kind of growth removed from my cervix and the path report came back totally benign. My doctor called me and said, well at least it’s not a pimple! E Gads, imagine that. “Oh, honey….” LOL Take care Meg from Omaha where the sun does shine!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kirby got me a new keyboard for my ipad and i'm testing it out. it works pretty good, now i don't have to use the tablet itself and don't have to henpeck!!!!!!! BOO-YAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    What a strange day. My brain was NOT working properly. I took the keyboard back to the store for a refund and then remembered I left my purse at the studio, so I had to go get it so they could credit it back to my card. Then later, remembered that I left my ipad too, so went back to get that. Got home and remembered the benedryl tablets I bought this morning got taken inside the studio with some other stuff, so now I'm out of benedryl for tonight. It's too far to go back just for that. And I can't even count the number of times today that I went from room to room and forgot what I went for. I started one task, got distracted in the middle of it and started something else, etc, all day. And when my phone alarm went off telling me it was time to go get the kids, it took a minute before I remembered what that was for. And I hear that alarm every day! Needless to say, it was not a very productive day.

Tomorrow I have an eye appointment at 8:30 am, and today my oldest DGD announced that her school track meet is tomorrow ALL DAY and she wants me to come. My eyes will be dialated, so I'm not sure that is going to happen. Tomorrow night is another banquet at hubby's school, so I have to get dolled up for that. This group always orders fried chicken, so I doubt I will eat much. I can pull off the breading and eat some of the white meat. The sides will be German potato salad and German coleslaw, which I can't stand anyway, so I won't be earring those.

I had a surprise on the porch when I got home, though. New shoes! Some of you might remember the expensive running shoes that Bruno chewed and I repaired? Well, the fabric had started to wear out in two places on each toe, so I emailed the company and they sent me new ones! I have to say that these are not quite as comfy as the last ones, but I don't have my orthotic in them yet. So, I wore the last pair for six months and the company was still nice enough to replace them. Brooks is the name of the company, in case anybody wondered. The new pair are not the same color, but they are a color I would have chosen for myself, so that's great.

Tonight I saw two ants crawling down the backsplash from the window, and I did a little experiment. I don't have sliced garlic, so I sprinkled a little roasted garlic on the counter where it meets the backsplash. I watched as they crawled down the wall, stopped at the garlic, then thought about it for a minute and turned around and crawled back up to the windowsill and left! I haven seen them again! Thanks for the advice!

Well, we're off to Walmart to look at computers. More later.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Naiomi, glad your ankles went down. If you think you might like the job, I say apply for it and you can always turn it down if you decide you don’t want it. All that said because you said the application deadline is soon.

Carey, I had ham and eggs for lunch today. Should have had you join me.

Katla, I hope your seat adjustment does the trick and you enjoy the class.

Pip, how do you feel about the saying, “some people you just can’t please”? If you aren’t happy with a size 4-6 then there’s just no pleasing you! Actually I feel the same way. I love new clothes but hate shopping. No matter what size.

NMMargaret, interesting about cell phones in moving car. I never really thought about it, but the few times I talk in the car it’s hands free.

Selena. I haven't read all of the blog, but enjoyed the website and what I read. Ya know, you didn't have to tell us it was about you and maybe (I doubt it) we wouldn't have figured it out. lol

Carol, I’m the one that asked about the getaway car and thanks for the information. That is too interesting. Is that a part time job for her? I hope you can find a routine soon as it makes life so much easier.

Terri, the only problem with the Golden Nugget is that it’s a long way from the strip. *frown* I’m sure if we go we will try to find the best place with the best group rate, so that might be it. I just personally like the newer places but we’ll go with the crowd. Oh and I did a 50 sec plank today then just laid on the floor for a minute. Then thought I was going to have to get help to get up. Lol

Sylvia, glad the dentist went well. Sorry for your keyboard fiasco but that sounds just like what I would do.

Heather, on the curry dish that you described for those that don’t like it hot, was there any curry in it? If so, I just missed it. Not really something I eat, so interesting.

Vicki, good to see you. Where have you been?

Tex, (sorry but I can’t remember your name and it’s not on your last post) I was kidding you about Texas. I grew up way down in the Valley and know that it has every kind of anything that you could want. Thanks for sharing your story with us, and I hope you don’t think it makes any difference. It just helps us get to know you better. I have had a few friends that went that route and hate to say that they all eventually gained it back. I now have a friend who is preparing for it and have said nothing negative to her about it. My only thing with her is that she doesn’t weigh 300 or anywhere near it. I just think it would be easier for her to go on this journey than what you had to go through with a bypass. I’m so glad you are here and you’ve got lots of support.

Speedracer, welcome. This is a very supportive group as well as full of information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We appreciate it if you sign your post with a name you want to be called. Come often and join right in.

Michele, if you do just red and blue on the T, where it doesn’t come out even, maybe you could throw in a white one to even it out? I’d draw out the squares on a piece of paper and play with it. Lol I know it will look great, whatever you decide.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We had our first board meeting for our HOA today. It went better than I expected. DH was not happy that I got on the board because I've done it before and people who aren't :* willing to do anything, can be so mean. I don't let it bother me.
    Have a great day, my friends. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC