i know this is a weight loss wesbite...

Options

Replies

• Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy living/ eating has become the norm. So ppl are very uncomfortable with accepting that something so "normal" isn't really okay/healthy or normal at all.

...and it's become politically incorrect to refer to crap food as unhealthy. Because a person of a normal weight is ABSOLUTELY healthy?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Interesting thing about MFP, from their "about" section of their website.

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.

It doesn't matter what they make money of off. The point is that it isn't a "weight loss site" since it serves many functions. If it were just a weight loss site then a good amount of the members here would have deactivated since they aren't losing weight.

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Are you capable of posting without insulting someone? Just curious. I'm not making assumptions. MFP lists weight loss on the very first page, before one even signs up. Its not a giant leap for newbies to think MFP is about weight loss.

You make wild assumptions. Don't get upset when called out on it. Newbies thinking it's a weight loss site doesn't mean it's strictly a weight loss site. It's either just a weight loss site or it isn't just a weight loss site. The answer isn't that it isn't. Sorry if you don't like that.

You lost weight. didn't you? Was that before you joined MFP or was it after?

The reason I'm asking is because people change their goals over a period of time and move from Weight Loss to Maintenance to Weight Gain to Motivation and Support.

I was in Weight Loss when I joined but now I primarily see myself in Fitness and Exercise. I go to Food And Nutrition for cat gifs ;)

Maybe that how you MFP forum.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal choice. Just like some people choose to lose weight through CICO, but never exercise, so they end up thin but flabby and probably couldn't walk a 5K let alone run one by the time they make goal. I think most MFP members that are in it for the long run are health conscious and want to not only lose weight, but get strong and fit doing it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.

It doesn't matter what they make money of off. The point is that it isn't a "weight loss site" since it serves many functions. If it were just a weight loss site then a good amount of the members here would have deactivated since they aren't losing weight.

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Are you capable of posting without insulting someone? Just curious. I'm not making assumptions. MFP lists weight loss on the very first page, before one even signs up. Its not a giant leap for newbies to think MFP is about weight loss.

You make wild assumptions. Don't get upset when called out on it. Newbies thinking it's a weight loss site doesn't mean it's strictly a weight loss site. It's either just a weight loss site or it isn't just a weight loss site. The answer isn't that it isn't. Sorry if you don't like that.

The reason I'm asking is because people change their goals over a period of time and move from Weight Loss to Maintenance to Weight Gain to Motivation and Support.

I was in Weight Loss when I joined but now I primarily see myself in Fitness and Exercise. I go to Food And Nutrition for cat gifs ;)

I lost weight prior to MFP and then after, all in one run.

And I've met plenty of people that joined this site solely to gain weight.

Sure but that's not my point. My point is people who joined solely to gain weight would be moving to next goal after their "goal" is achieved. I'm sure ambitious people seek more than one goal. Their next goal could be weight loss who knows.

I however strongly believe MFP has more advertisers gearing towards weight loss crowd than otherwise. That's the target audience for it's companies and that's where money is. There should absolutely be no denial in that truth. Everyone else is in minority over here.

Usually the ads are based on your browsing history.
    Today I have:
    -Land's End Best of Swim 2015 (been looking for a new swim suit, it won't be long before the one I bought in Feb doesn't fit)
    -Amazon Prime ad reminding me that I added Comedy Central Presents: Stand Up Season 1 to my watch list with a button to start streaming now
    -crediteria (because I belong to a site called Swagbucks that had me go to that site for an offer)
    -Kraft Fiery Cheeses (not sure, but love kraft cheese)
    -Amazon Prime ad reminding me that I added the Jeff Dunham show to my watchlist
    -At&t Uverse add (probably since I was comparing prices not that long ago)
    -Loreal Paris Ever Pure (because I was looking up coupons for the hair dye recently )

Agreed! But they only are able to advertise on any particular site b'coz you are on that site for a reason.
    If I joined MFP for weight gain, then I become a client for the advertisers.
    If I joined MFP for weight loss, then I become a client for the advertisers.
    If I don't join MFP, then advertisers have one less client to advertise.

I believe there are lot more people on MFP who want to loose weight than to gain weight or otherwise.

Well I can only guess since I'm just a member and I'm guessing from the traffic I see on weight loss/motivation/fitness post.

EDTA : typo
  • runner475
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

No that's one of the way I see changing goals.

Like I mentioned before I joined MFP to loose weight. I lost weight but I'm still on MFP. I haven't deactivated my account.

I'm now here for Fitness and Exercise.

Who knows few years from now it could be something else. Maybe Bulk.

But I know for sure my goal will be constantly changing.
  • runner475
    edited April 2015
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Sure but that's not my point. My point is people who joined solely to gain weight would be moving to next goal after their "goal" is achieved. I'm sure ambitious people seek more than one goal. Their next goal could be weight loss who knows.

I however strongly believe MFP has more advertisers gearing towards weight loss crowd than otherwise. That's the target audience for it's companies and that's where money is. There should absolutely be no denial in that truth. Everyone else is in minority over here.

What?????

There are people that we see that join this site because they are skinny or lean and defined that want to bulk. So they joined here to gain weight. Sounds like you're saying those people that bulk will eventually want to drop added fat and that's why they would be here. Sorry but no.

So saying that this is a weight loss site isn't accurate because it's basically ignoring the fact that people do join this site for other reason regardless of who the majority of people do.

I said "....who knows" . I would suggest you read the entire conversation and not just the last comment and within the last comment not just one sentence.

It will help.

Wait, you mean I should read the entire conversation that you are having with me? So like 3 posts? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did that already. No need to get upset because you can't get across a point that isn't accurate. Or it could be that you've addressed me a couple times so far just to disagree with me, just to disagree, who knows.

How in the world can you ever tell what emotions are going on with the person on the otherside on the internet you are conversing with?

I can never tell if person is upset or happy or winking or whatever if I'm conversing on internet. I don't have that technology as yet.

Anyways since you are saying I was upset .... just an FYI - I barely ever, ever get upset in life b'coz I have more powerful tool - I ignore and move on.

So no I wasn't upset. That's my style of writing.

EDTA : To address "Or it could be that you've addressed me a couple times so far just to disagree with me, just to disagree, who knows."

No I don't drag old conversations into new one. It's not worth my time and energy to drag past into present. There is a lot more than waste time on silly past conversations. Just so you know going forward. I roll slightly different.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    IIFYM literally means to hit your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day choosing foods that you enjoy eating. The concept is completely bastardized because idiots across the internet continually come up with scenarios that don't exist in real life, to try and blow a hole in the idea that IIFYM is a sound practice.

What IIFYM is not:

1) It is not eating cake and chips all day.
    2) It is not disregarding micronutrients and fiber and general intelligence with regards to food choice.
    3) It is not a specific macro setting. There is a website out there that has the IIFYM label that includes a calorie calculation tool and unfortunately several people on MFP believe that doing "IIFYM" means eating those specific macros. This is false.

Source:http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/817188/iifym/p1
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal choice. Just like some people choose to lose weight through CICO, but never exercise, so they end up thin but flabby and probably couldn't walk a 5K let alone run one by the time they make goal. I think most MFP members that are in it for the long run are health conscious and want to not only lose weight, but get strong and fit doing it.

This. Totally...
    I have a lot to lose and there is no possible way I'd be able to lose all this weight without being able to have those splurges once a month or however often I allow myself.
    I have learned though what foods keep me fuller for a longer time and what foods will cause me to retain water weight... I've also gotten a lot of workout ideas from this site, even though that weights side of the gym is still intimidating.

Like others have said, for the people that are in it for the long haul its a "fitness" site. Not just for weight loss but a place to come for advice, information, and communication with others that have the same goal "Healthy"
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a site called 'myfitnesspal', so I believe the overall goal is 'fitness'. But a lot of people on here are overweight or obese and simply losing weight would help them to become fitter, regardless as to whether they are making a conscious effort to become fitter. At least, that's my take on it.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    AFter readin half the first OP's comment I think its fair to rush straight in with two feet and Father I shot a man

Simple FACT is no one really reads, they just agrue with themselves. Oh no they don't, Oh yes the do

• SuperC_sa
    SuperC_sa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So? if it fits and you dont want to eat it dont eat it...
    Point of it is that if you eat your calorie allowance you can either lose or gain or maintain regardless of what it is...

Live and let live.
    Do what works for you.
    Stop worrying about other people.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Like I mentioned before I joined MFP to loose weight. I lost weight but I'm still on MFP. I haven't deactivated my account.

Of course goals change. When I finally get down to my single digit body fat % my news goals become.

1) get as strong as possible to my genetics. Legal ways I ain't no cheater.
    2) bulk phase from fall to spring.
    3) cut in the spring for summer.

rinse and repeat

Will I do it without counting calories. I think I need a year or two before I put my food scale away for bulk phase. Cut phase will always be correct logging and weighing.
  • runner475
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

What?????

There are people that we see that join this site because they are skinny or lean and defined that want to bulk. So they joined here to gain weight. Sounds like you're saying those people that bulk will eventually want to drop added fat and that's why they would be here. Sorry but no.

So saying that this is a weight loss site isn't accurate because it's basically ignoring the fact that people do join this site for other reason regardless of who the majority of people do.

I said "....who knows" . I would suggest you read the entire conversation and not just the last comment and within the last comment not just one sentence.

It will help.

Wait, you mean I should read the entire conversation that you are having with me? So like 3 posts? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did that already. No need to get upset because you can't get across a point that isn't accurate. Or it could be that you've addressed me a couple times so far just to disagree with me, just to disagree, who knows.

How in the world can you ever tell what emotions are going on with the person on the otherside on the internet you are conversing with?

I can never tell if person is upset or happy or winking or whatever if I'm conversing on internet. I don't have that technology as yet.

Anyways since you are saying I was upset .... just an FYI - I barely ever, ever get upset in life b'coz I have more powerful tool - I ignore and move on.

So no I wasn't upset. That's my style of writing.

EDTA : To address "Or it could be that you've addressed me a couple times so far just to disagree with me, just to disagree, who knows."

No I don't drag old conversations into new one. It's not worth my time and energy to drag past into present. There is a lot more than waste time on silly past conversations. Just so you know going forward. I roll slightly different.

Great job ignoring me Lol

You I can't ignore b'coz of Leo. ;)

• runner475
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Of course goals change. When I finally get down to my single digit body fat % my news goals become.

1) get as strong as possible to my genetics. Legal ways I ain't no cheater.
    2) bulk phase from fall to spring.
    3) cut in the spring for summer.

rinse and repeat

Will I do it without counting calories. I think I need a year or two before I put my food scale away for bulk phase. Cut phase will always be correct logging and weighing.

+1. Exactly my point.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

Can I ask a question? WHAT IS THE ORANGE STUFF???? Are they serving hot sauce with fruit? I ask myself this question daily when I open my app.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

Because everyone has a different definition of "healthy"?

If you're craving something and fit it in, it doesn't automatically mean you're being healthy, but it doesn't automatically mean you're being unhealthy, either.

There is also the factor to consider that eating Taco Bell once in a while but losing steadily and reducing various obesity-related health issues (for some people) IS probably more healthy than eating organic Brazil nuts grown in non-depleted soils and watered with the tears of virgin mermaids, at an excess of calories, keeping one very overweight with whatever his/her weight-related health issues are. Being able to stay within one's calorie goals because you're not depriving yourself CAN lead to better health in the long run - and many people are quite healthy while eating your examples of "highly processed chemical-laced fast food."

It's impossible to pinpoint one definition of "healthy" and have everyone agree on it.

Love this post - but particularly the part in bold. <3
  • donut0420
    donut0420 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

There is also the factor to consider that eating Taco Bell once in a while but losing steadily and reducing various obesity-related health issues (for some people) IS probably more healthy than eating organic Brazil nuts grown in non-depleted soils and watered with the tears of virgin mermaids, at an excess of calories, keeping one very overweight with whatever his/her weight-related health issues are.

I laughed out loud.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

Because everyone has a different definition of "healthy"?

If you're craving something and fit it in, it doesn't automatically mean you're being healthy, but it doesn't automatically mean you're being unhealthy, either.

There is also the factor to consider that eating Taco Bell once in a while but losing steadily and reducing various obesity-related health issues (for some people) IS probably more healthy than eating organic Brazil nuts grown in non-depleted soils and watered with the tears of virgin mermaids, at an excess of calories, keeping one very overweight with whatever his/her weight-related health issues are. Being able to stay within one's calorie goals because you're not depriving yourself CAN lead to better health in the long run - and many people are quite healthy while eating your examples of "highly processed chemical-laced fast food."

It's impossible to pinpoint one definition of "healthy" and have everyone agree on it.

Love this post - but particularly the part in bold. <3

It reminds me of...

tumblr_mgpfuwW4qi1r71icao1_400.jpg